208 Queen Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bilbobaggins.net/
- Phone: 7036830300
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: (limited menu) 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lite fare: Saturday & Sunday: 2:30pm - dinner begins; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Armellino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bilbo Baggins Restaurant offers off-site catering. Please call Michael Armellino @ (703) 683-0300 for more information
- Cross Street: Fairfax & Lee Streets
- Public Transit: The Dash bus has 2 stops on Fairfax Street near the intersection of Queen St. The restaurant is located on Queen St. between Fairfax and Lee Streets. There are 2 metro stops in Alexandria that will get you within 15-17 blocks of the restaurant. The metro stops are King St. or Braddock Road. From there its just a quick cab ride or nice walk.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available evenings and weekends in the private parking lot directly across the street from the restaurant. There is an attendant. The fee is currently $4. For lunch dining Monday through Friday, there are public lots located near the restaurant and street parking.
A word from Bilbo Baggins
A casual local restaurant & pub with tasty food, unusual wines & beers from around the world, and friendly service. The green dragon pub sports 12 beers on tap with over 100 bottles from which to choose. Wines are offered by the glass or bottle with a full bar that offers unusual martinis as well as other libations. A fire place and 4 HDTVs add to the experience. Upstairs, guests find cozy tables located within 3 dining room areas. All menu selections are offered both in the pub and dining rooms. Experience a tantalizing tapas menu with a selection of cheeses, fire cracker shrimp and fresh calamari just to name a few. Visit us for lunch or dinner 7 days a week. Join us for a spectacular Sunday brunch which includes Frodo's french toast made from our homemade cracked wheat & raisin bread, a variety of omelets as well as other delicious brunch & lunch items. Located in Old Town Alexandria just 2 blocks from the river on Queen Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bilbo Baggins reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (24)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (20)kid-friendly (17)vibrant bar scene (15)great for brunch (12)late-night find (11)romantic (10)special occasion (8)hot spot (4)Show More
- Too saltyEateryVIPDined on 5/24/2014Every dish we had--including the read--was too salty.
- Food was DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014My wife and I both ordered dishes that sounded good on the menu, but lacked once at the table. The salmon was very thin, breaded, and a bit dried out. The sauce was also overwhelming. My wife had the pork loin - again, the meat was overcooked. We came in hopes of finding a new place to dine, but we won't be back again.
- Great seafood and pizzas!loksterDined on 5/23/2014I've dined at Bilbo's several times, and had happy hour excursions as well, and never been disappointed. All of their pizzas have been outstanding, and their seafood is also delicious, fresh, well-seasoned and expertly cooked. Extensive beer (and wine) list, and a decadent chocolate Belgian waffle for dessert, make it truly a memorable experience to share with friends and family alike.Special Features:
- Will definitely be back!mhayrnDined on 5/16/2014I found Bilbo Baggins on the Alexandria website and was not disappointed. Great food, exceptional beer list, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REally Pleasant Weekday LunchGophorDined on 5/15/2014The restaurant was not very crowded, hence not noisy at all. We found the menu extremely interesting and the service attentive. There were four in our party, and we all enjoyed our meals. The extraordinary selection of beers makes me think that this woudl be a pleasant, but potentially noisy place in the evening. Nevertheless, we would try it and we would return for lunch.Special Features:
- The Second Time is Not a CharmGknox01Dined on 5/11/2014Bilbo's was great the first time. We vowed to return with others. I was proud to share this place with my family for Mother's Day. We entered the restaurant and waited for our table- that was upstairs with a large slant in the floor, near the bathrooms, and segregated from the rest of diners. The next room had happy families with food, attentive staff, and nice scenery. We sat for 17 minutes with no water, bread, or notice from anyone until I went downstairs to complain. My beef was rare instead of well done like I asked, but I was afraid to return it. I should have left but we wanted to give the staff a chance to redeem the service. The place wasn't packed so what was the excuse? We even left a good tip for bad service.Special Features:
- Gem in AlexandriaAmarusCameronDined on 5/11/2014Pleasantly surprised with Bilbo Baggins, we knew that the restaurant was known for it's Beer selection and Wine list but the food was absolutely stupendous. Witty phrases adorn the walls and murals maps and other paraphernalia from the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. Our server was attentive and very personable but we never felt rushed at all. Another plus is that it is off the craziness that follows King Street, being on Queen it was a much more pleasant and easy going atmosphere than the hustle and bustle of King Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointed.GreenmanDined on 5/11/2014I've been to Bilbo Baggins several times for dinner and they have a great beer selection and the food is usually good. However I went with my family for the Mother's Day brunch and it was quite a different experience. The service was very slow, the server kept disappearing for long periods of time, and one of our appetizer plates was dirty (food obviously stuck to it). I had the lobster bisque to start and it was basically lobster flavored pepper water. Not creamy and not substantial. I also had the pan-seared chicken with sausage gravy and eggs. Everything was over-salted and the portion was lacking. Maybe the staff was still sleepy or something. Anyway I'd say stick to dinner and go elsewhere for brunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014great for beer - an amazing selection of interesting brews both on draft and by bottle. Main meals were disappointing but staff and atmosphere was friendly
- what a disappointment!!!FrancineSmithDined on 5/10/2014I was expecting a unique restaurant, good food, and an atmosphere that would allow for conversation, as I was having dinner with family I hadn't seen in many years. How utterly disappointing that we were seated in a crowded, noisy, and exceedingly warm bar (NOT a restaurant!!), we were shoved in an awkward table under a low ceiling with posts separating us. Unable to carry on a conversation for the noise. In addition, the waitress brought my second "soda water" in the original bottle, instead of pouring it into a glass. When I opened it, it sprayed all over us. Topping it off, our meal was bland and overcooked. I would NEVER recommend it unless you just want a typical, noisy bar experience and don't care about service or quality.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I am a huge fan of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books as well as the movies. I had to come here to check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KathyDined on 5/10/2014We enjoyed our meal, service and location greatly and will come back oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with a smileBlessedDined on 5/9/2014Our server went out of his way to help us with our food choices, chatted with us about our visit to DC, talked to our teen grandsons. Food was good but service was fabulous.Special Features:
- A pretty disappointing visitAspenkucheDined on 5/9/2014We were seated in a very sub-par section of the restaurant way in the back even though we had reservations and all of the second floor was mostly empty. The beer menu and the Sam's garden pizza were a redeeming feature. The grilled seafood platter was adequate. However, the lobster bisque was so thinned out and highly over seasoned that it was hard to finish. We've tasted much better food and were seated in better ambiance for the amount of money that we spent at Bilbo's. Given the array of choices in Alexandria, we won't be back any time soon.
- Missing the magic touchCuisineCritic343Dined on 5/7/2014Felt like Bilbo Baggins was a bit of a ghost of it's former self. The Lord of the Rings theme worked on the surface, but felt underwhelming for a fan looking for a really awesome LOTR experience. A little more Shire-like hospitality please! Food was delicious and the Bilbo Baggins ale is a must. Their happy gory deals are worth going for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cobrapaulDined on 5/3/2014The food was good, not truly remarkable, but adequate. Portion size was perfect, taste was ok. Service was very fast. Good came out barely 15 minutes after we ordered. Great beer list. Disappointed there were no Virginia wines on the wine list. Would go again to try some of the other selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bilbos does not disappointJackVIPDined on 4/26/2014Bilbos is one of our "go to" restaurants in Old Town, especially since it is a few blocks from our house. The food is reliably good. If you're in the mood for a beer with your meal, I highly recommend getting off of the King Street strip and meandering over to Bilbo Baggins.Special Features:
- DisappointingOldTownPatronDined on 4/23/2014Bilbo was always a neighborhood restaurant we could depend on for good-to-terrific food and a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. I hadn't been there in two years, but when an out-of-town friend had an evening free, I thought Bilbo would be the perfect place. I was wrong. The food is still great, but the service was spotty and intrusive and the facility felt grimy. The noise level was so high we had to raise voices to hear each other. The wait staff was either not to be found or constantly trying to clear, even though we told them twice to wait until we were both finished. Note: we ate downstairs in the restaurant (not in the bar, which looked good, but was full) or upstairs, which may still be just fine, but I won't go back soon to find out.
- Notable Beer List!DDP9686Dined on 4/20/2014Wish Open Table had a "Notable Beer List" on the options above. BB's beer list is incredible with gems that are hard to find. All three of our brunches were delicious. Service was friendly and prompt despite it being a very busy Easter lunch and after our meal we enjoyed savoring a second sample from the beer list without being rushed out. It's a rustic spot that I'm sure can be romantic if you don't have a screaming child behind you as we did, but that can happen anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014It was our first time and we had a nice time and we would go there again. There appeared to be a bit of a communication disconnect/language gap between the server and our party, but nothing that wasn't overcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay food...wanted better qualityNYFoodie1Dined on 4/20/2014THe food was okay for Sunday Brunch. The service was also okay. Wasn't anything special. They could do more with the space.Special Features:
- Great gembluedragin67Dined on 4/12/2014From its name you can guess the theme of Bilbo Baggins. I was expecting a little bit more of a shore feel, with round windows and low ceilings, but it did have a middle earth tone to the decor. Good was well prepared and not over priced, and the service was adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Non eventVitoDined on 4/5/2014Took my son and his wife there for his birthday party. Arrived at 6:30 and two of the item ordered, they had run out of. When we ordered dessert, the waitress brought different ones from what we ordered saying they were out of what we originally ordered. Food was only fair. Would not go back.
- First time here for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014First time here for lunch. Excellent menu choices. Service was very, very good with an attentive and engaging waiter. Hostess offered us upstairs seating so we could talk as the bar was quite busy. Would definitely recommend place for lunch as well as dinner.Special Features:
- We were disappointed to findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014We were disappointed to find that out meal did not come with what the menu said. According to the menu our meal was to be accompanied with asparagus (one of the reasons the meal was chosen) and it came with spinach instead. We also had to take appetizer plates and silverware from another empty table. The food was delicious and their beer/wine list were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MaryDined on 3/31/2014My friend and I each enjoyed our entrees. The gnocchi, which can be very heavy when not done correctly, were very good. The cedar plank salmon was delicious on top of spinach and rice. We celebrated a birthday with the lime pie, which was also very tasty. We would definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014My second time at Bilbo's. The food is equisite. The chef keeps his menu fresh with new entrees and seasonal cocktails. Brought my 17 and 19 son and daughter along. Even with thier finicky taste buds, they were raving over the food. A good time any time. Cant wait to visit for Brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodMore2DoDined on 3/24/2014The food is not as good as it used to be. It used to be a 4 Star, but is now only a low 3.Special Features:
- Always AwesomeTravelCoupleDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I have been coming to Alexandria, VA for the last 4 years. We come often during baseball season to see the Washington Nationals and to visit out son who lives in Washington, D.C. My wife is a huge Tolkien Fan and found this place doing a google search of restaurants in the Alexandria area. We consider this place our little gem. The food always amazing. The beer fantastic. A huge selection. The wine magnificent. The staff outstanding. This place never let's us down...always awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurantKBCLCDCDined on 3/21/2014The beer list is the best in town and the food is always consistent. The bread is fresh and unique. You should avoid dessert there though. I have tried a few and they are usually frozen or have been frozen and it's apparent in the taste. It's a shame to end a good meal on a bad note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingShuggDined on 3/20/2014I took my sister here for her birthday, EVERYTHING that we tried was amazing! Great food and our waiter Fran was awesome as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good service andLillianDined on 3/18/2014Great food, good service and casual atomospnhere! Not for business meeting unless it's casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodkMaNVIPDined on 3/15/2014The ambiance is always good. Service & food are always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Chef createsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Excellent food. Chef creates unique plates with various flavors that mesh perfectly. Highly recommend the Filet and the Veal Scaloppini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfying journey to the shireRun2eatVIPDined on 3/15/2014Our second visit to Bilbo Baggins was as satisfying as our first last year. I had the seafood grill which was a large serving of scallops, shrimp, calamari, and fish that was tasty and not overcooked - it was still moist even though it was grilled - a plus! My wife had cheese stuffed chicken that she enjoyed as well. The servings were too much to eat for my wife and large for me as well. I also sampled the excellent selection of beer, settling on an Austrian pilsner at the recommendation of the server that was well suited for my tastes. Service was excellent even though there were only two waitresses for a full restaurant - they literally flew around the floor but did not hurry us for our meal. We highly recommend Bilbo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly goodUp2UDined on 3/1/2014We found Bilbo Baggins on a search engine and decided to give it a try. After posting on FB that we would be going, we received the thumbs up from many friends. The food was good and the atmosphere was nice. I wish the upstairs was as cozy as the downstairs and reflected more of the old world feel as opposed to brightly painted walls that didn't fit the expected feel of a pub. So if you want that "pub" feel ~ be sure that you are seated on the lower level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting..celticmusicloverDined on 2/26/2014We dedcided to try something different and that's what we got. The server was nice but not great she seemed a bit disinterested in being there. The food; we ordered three dishes and I tried two. The duck was great but a bit fatty, the lamk was dry though my friend loved it. Just goes to show no one has the same opinion. My other friend loved her gnocchi. We ordered mixed drinks which were horrible and when we mentioned it all we got is we are trying new drinks not we'll take it off the bill or we'll make something else. We didn't even drink half. I was disappointed in that. I did love the feel and calmness to the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was not so good. theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014service was not so good. the server did not know what was on the menu and what we should try
- Nice Date nightmortDined on 2/21/2014We ate upstairs, early and basically by ourselves for most of our meal. The server was polite, knowledgeable and attentive. The menu was pretty expansive and our food arrived as advertised and was hot and delicious. Not my choice for many occassions but the place had decent ambiance, good beer and wine selections and well prepared foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Family FavoriteAnneDined on 2/16/2014My teenagers love this place. Their brunch menu has variety to make our whole family happy, and the food is fresh, tasty, and plentiful. My son enjoyed the Reuben sandwich very much and we all thought the beignets rivaled the ones we had in New Orleans. Though not a "kids'" restaurant by any means, we did not feel uncomfortable with the varied crowd. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.