Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
500 Mandalay Avenue
Clearwater Beach, FL 33767Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sandpearl.com/Resort/Dining_Fine_Clearwater_Hotel_SandPearl.asp
- Phone: 7276744171
- Hours of Operation:
Daily Breakfast: 7:00am - 11:00am Sunday Brunch 11:30-2:30pm Lunch Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Daily Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Latsha
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private dining rooms. One wine room that seats up to twelve. Also a private dining room that seats up to thirty-six.
- Private Party Contact: Chloe Henry 7276744125
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment Friday and Saturday nights in our lounge. Call 727-674-4109 for schedule.
- Special Events: All You Can Eat Sushi! Every Wednesday evening from 5:00-7:00 in our lounge $20 per person. Sunset Hour at Caretta on the Gulf - every evening, the hour before sunset, we celebrate at Caretta's by offering Veuve Clicquot Champagne Half Off.
A word from Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort
Seasonally inspired cuisine is at the heart of Sandpearl Resort’s signature dining experience, Caretta on the Gulf. Our world-class chefs’ desire to please and surprise means the menu is prepared with infusions of South American, Caribbean and other international inspirations offering a broad selection of memorable cuisine. The Ceviche, Sushi and Raw Bar offers a fresh daily selection of local seafood. A wood-burning oven opens up a myriad of rustic dining selections. A wine room provides an intimate space for special events and tastings, with an extensive collection of wines from around the world. Take your seat among Caretta’s inspiring surroundings perched two levels above the beach with indoor and outdoor seating to view brilliant sunsets that set the scene for the most whimsical of culinary cravings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort - Best Restaurants in Clearwater ›
Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (77)special occasion (63)romantic (57)notable wine list (32)great for outdoor dining (31)fit for foodies (30)good for groups (25)great for brunch (24)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (11)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (9)Show More
- Excellent ChoiceTMPNDined on 6/1/2014I am sad to admit that this was a 2nd choice for a birthday dinner - our 1st is closed for renovations. However, I have held private very high-level private dinners here (they're private dining room is one of the best on the entire beach from St. Pete all the way down to Clearwater) and their Sunday Brunch (excellent). The dinner was perfect - we were seated at a perfect beach view and the menu that evening included a prix fixe meal priced perfectly at $55. The portions were generous and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Brunch Was ExceptionalAdamVIPDined on 6/1/2014Fantastic Brunch. Their seafood, sushi, and omelet stations were outstanding. An exceptional value for brunch! Their regular buffet items were good. I have been to Caretta's many times, but this was my first brunch experience. I will be back. Oystercatchers is my favorite brunch spot, but at almost twice the price of Caretta's (which has 85-90% of the service, food, and atmosphere), I am a new devotee to Sunday Brunch at Clearwater Beach.Special Features:
- Solid food,great atmosphere+serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2014Menu interesting, food good, but not blow you away. Awesome view of sunset, particularly from outside tables. Service excellent. Go for atmosphere, wine and service and accept food will only be average for priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2014Caretta on the Gulf is absolutely the best place to watch the sunset in Clearwater Beach!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/21/2014The servers and everyone at the restaurant were fabulous. Dining on the patio at sunset was the most romantic experience of our lives. We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary on this trip and we had the best time. The food was fantastic at both dinner and lunch and the Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 495 reviews are from the Caretta on the Gulf at the Sandpearl Resort reviews archive.
- Wonderful eveningRubyDined on 5/19/2014A special event for us, just 2 of us went on a week night so it was romantic in a beautiful setting with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honeymoon DinnerChrisLondonDined on 5/18/2014We noticed this restaurant online, when looking for somewhere special to eat in an amazing location, and it couldn't of been better. They sat us where we requested and being sat outside for dinner we managed to catch the sunset which is amazing. This restaurant is in a fantastic location and is great for a romantic dinner and the cocktails are fab!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014The brunch exceeded our expectations dramatically. The food, service and views were the best in the Tampa Bay region.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014excellent food for mom and dad, worked for kids but not a big a selection for an 8 and 10 yr old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING SERVICES AND FOODCarmenDined on 5/17/2014WE RESERVED A TABLE FOR OUR 13 YEARS ANNIVERSARY AT THIS RESTAURANT, AND IT WAS SUPERB EXPERIENCE. WE CAME ALL THE WAY FROM ST PETERSBURG, ONE HOUR DRIVING, AND I WILL DO THIS DRIVE AGAIN FOR THIS TYPE OF SERVICES AND MEAL. COMPLIMENTS TO THE CHEF, EVERY MEAL WE TRY WAS PERFECT, AND MOST COMPLIMENTS TO MICHAEL OUR SERVER, AND LANCE WHO ALSO TOOK CARE OF US. IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE, A MAGIC NIGHT, AND YOUR PLACE MADE IT VERY SPECIAL. TO THE WHOLE CREW AND STAFF WE THANK YOU!!!!Special Features:
- Sunset diningSavannahkamDined on 5/16/2014Great sunset dining experience. Crab cake app was excellent as well as the wedge salad. The grouper dish was good but a tad overdone. The braised short ribs were fair. The shrimp wrapped in bacon were extremely overdone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very scenicWMMTampaDined on 5/16/2014The view and the ambiance is outstanding. Our server, Michelle, was well on top of her game. Our first visit and we chose Restaurant Week. Caretta's only offered one menu choice for the special price. The appetizer and entrée were good but not great. The chocolate mousse dessert was to die for. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Tremendously overpriced!shelbykDined on 5/15/2014Firstly, the best thing about this place is the view....although I specifically requested a table to see the Gulf views, we were sat at a table with a partial view (and it was not a busy evening). I might add that this same view can be enjoyed at many beachfront establishments too. The food and service were both good but not outstanding and not near what would you expect from the cost. Family of 4...our check was $251.00...and we did not order anything more than we would at any restaurant. Overall good rating but too over-priced for this area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Poor food it was cold manger clueless on customer service waiter overbearing and looking for a big tip mothers day ladies got a flower when leaving but not my wife as I sent the old food backSpecial Features:
- InconstantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/4/2014I have had great brunch here with sushi fish that melts in your mouth, delicacy salads that are fresh, fruit perfectly ripened and omelettes with mouth watering ingredients. This week was not one of those times--nothing melted in your mouth or tasted fresh--disappointing but still nice ambiance and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two year annisveryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2014What a wonderful place to celebrate our anniversary from the location, the outstanding staff and the unbelievable food from start to finish. What a romantic evening for my husband and I we watch a beautiful sunset while we were enjoying our dinner. I will be back again I hope soon.Special Features:
- BEST GROUPER ON THE BEACHKristeDined on 4/25/2014It is pricey for sure but worth it for a really nice night out to get dressed up and watch the sunset.Special Features:
- hatrac35VIPDined on 4/25/2014We were pleasantly pleased with our experience at Caretta on the Gulf. My husband and I both ordered the crab cake appetizer but the waiter suggested that one of us order the crab cake and the other order a sushi roll so that we could split...and boy I'm glad we went with his recommendation. The "C-Roll" and crab cake were outstanding! For our entrees I ordered the snapper and my husband ordered the grouper. Both dishes were delicious but we we probably would have them prepared differently next time. In not a big fan of pan seared fish so mine was a little too crunchy for my liking. That's such a minor thing compared to our overall experience. I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NinaLuk4gdfoodDined on 4/24/2014I have dined at Caretta on the Gulf 5-6 times, now, and have never been disappointed. The view is incredible, service friendly and attentive, and the meals are amazing from starters through all the courses, with fresh, organic, beautifully prepared food combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- intimatelilrecksterDined on 4/24/2014Food and service exceptional as always...A romantic spot even for older citizens Wouldn't miss a dinner here for anything...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The total packageHappyCustomerVIPDined on 4/23/2014We had the amazing Hawaiian Poke (similar to ceviche) to start, and both of our meals (Black Grouper; Swordfish) were impeccable. Our mojitos were equally delicious. The sunset from the veranda was gorgeous, and our server, Lance, was more than accommodating!Special Features:
- Fine Dining on Clearwater BeachDJfromPalmHarborDined on 4/20/2014My wife and I had an absolutely wonderful Easter dinner at the Caretta on the Gulf. Table was ready as reserved... food was simply divine... and the desert was OooLala!! My wife had a Strawberry Shortcake and it was presented with a touch of cotton candy on top... she loved it. Will definitely go back again and again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST KEPT SECRET ON THE BEACHREVandMRSDined on 4/14/2014Caretta's is an absolute gem. It is the perfect place for a wedding anniversary romantic dinner, or just a special night out. I was impressed from the time I pulled into the valet area until I pulled out again. It was as close to a perfect evening as I have ever had. My wife loved it. The view is incredible. Try to go right before the sunset. Completely awesome. The ambiance and service are stellar. I never knew this caliber of a restaurant was right here under my nose on Clearwater Beach. The food is sensational. High end dining in such a relaxed environment. I highly recommend this place. EVERYONE WAS ON POINT! What a memory for my wife and I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerJerryDined on 4/12/2014We enjoyed a great experience in dining at Caretta's. It was an anniversary occasion and were seated in a very private table near the window overlooking the beach. Excellent fillet and grouper. Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- dinner with a viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Watch the sunset over the Gulf and enjoy fine dining. Wonderful for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome views, awesome sushiLynnVIPDined on 4/10/2014It's at sand pearl resort which is a very beautiful high end place resort. The restaurant has a beautiful setting. Get the sushi even just as an appetizer. Some of the best I have tried. The surf and turf roll was out of this world. For dinner I had the grouper. It was Devine. The crab cake and scallops were good too. Can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedDMN9Dined on 4/3/2014Great view of the sunset in a restaurant that offers organic, and locally sourced produce. Seasonal menu delights with a choice to satisfy all tastes. I cant recommend this enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal on Clearwater Beach!humboldtgirlDined on 3/23/2014Carettas was a peaceful retreat amongst other high energy, high calorie, and high on fry options. Organic vegetables in this neck of the woods was totally appreciated. If you are like me and have trouble picking, don't. Get the prix special menu and have a little of this and that and that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean/Sunset viewHolodnyVIPDined on 3/23/2014Elegant dining with ocean/sunset view. Moderately expensive but food is good and service professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!AlexaDined on 3/15/2014I am a huge foodie and i KNOW good food. This was GOOOOD food. The service was great, the grouper was to DIE FOR- fresh as anything with a vanilla sweet potato puree0 unreal! We had the BLT oyster for appetizer (reccommended by our waiter) it was freaking delicious- tempura fried oyster that sat on creamy spinach/artichoke with a tomatoe aoli and bacon chip on top - GENIUS. Would definitely go back next time we are in clearwater!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-priced.DreadDined on 3/15/2014The restaurant deserves to succeed. Beautiful room and good outside spaces. Attentive, knowledgeable, service. But, the prices! I will remember my visit more for the prices rather than the quality of the food, when it should be the opposite. I accept that I knew it was going to be expensive beforehand and I enjoy paying top $$$ for exceptional food, but nothing blew me away. Expectations are raised when a restaurant positions itself in the way that Caretta attempts. I had the $59 prix fixe menu. The sushi and salad were just above average - nothing more. The beef was tending towards overcooked, and the crème brulee was - meh. Absolutely not a culinary destination based on my experience. Good, not great cooking, but certainly worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal a little pricey,JP123Dined on 3/11/2014Nice meal a little pricey, service was great, would recomend this restarauntSpecial Features:
- Absolutely Amazing all around! LoveTheDavidsonsDined on 3/11/2014We celebrated our two year wedding anniversary here. EVERYTHING about it was awesome! The service was GREAT! We had a waiter named Michael and he was very knowledgeable and super pleasant. They sat us right in front of a window to watch the sunset...as I requested. The food was to die for! My husband had a 24oz Tomahawk RIbeye, awesome presentation and you barely needed a knife to cut. I had the filet and it was like butter! We ordered the C ROLL as an app and it was great and super fresh as well. Just a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All good!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/8/2014We had an amazing dinner at COTG on Saturday to celebrate a birthday. Our server, Lance, was knowledgeable and recommended items which were perfect, the oyster BLT - which was as delicious as it was pretty to look at and the gulf black grouper which was perfectly prepared. We sat outside and enjoyed a spectacular sunset. It was a touch chilly, but I would take that with the view that we had. Only downside, is that the team may have been understaffed. It took quite some time for food to be brought out and cleared. Not that bad as we were there as a family and enjoying a wonderful night. Aside from slowness, service was impeccable and I would recommend this for anyone who wants well prepared, creative seafood.Special Features:
- Ridiculously poor serviceAceitVIPDined on 3/3/2014Asked twice for more butter. Apps came quickly- listened to other table complain about wait for entree a d he told them everything prepare to order. Salad came in normal amount of time . Then we waited 45 minutes for entree to show up. He told us twice our order was coming up shortly . Then he said any minute and that was 15 more minutes. The table seated next to us that came in 30 mi urea after us got there entree right after we did . Horrible excuses!Special Features:
- Birthday DisastertripdineDined on 3/1/2014Table of 5 celebrating my wife's birthday. I wanted to go someplace different than our usual Ocean Prime, Eddy V's, Flemings, Ruth Chris. Well my mistake, although we have been several times to the Sand Pearl and enjoy the resort we have not had dinner at Caretta's. Cocktails were crafted to perfection and service was off to a good start. We ordered and enjoyed the apps and salads then waited nearly 45 minutes after for our entrees (Salmon, Snapper, Grouper, Filet, Veal Chop). I went and complained as I was losing interest very fast and certainly was embarrass. I was told they were putting right now, they showed up over cooked and cold ... not warm but cold, extremely disappointed we left. The spa day for daughter and wife had issues.
- SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014Sushi was fantastic. I would highly recommend it. Menu was great but as a foodie nothing said wow to me. Overall we loved it and for Clearwater I think it's the best they have!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in ClearwaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2014We sat outside so noise level was low. Perfect spot to watch the sunset. Food choices were good and portions were sensible and well prepared. The Venison Rack (2 Chops) was outstanding..... overall a great eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best dining experience weleslieDined on 2/27/2014best dining experience we have had in years we will be back pSpecial Features:
- Had 2 meals, one good one notCjonesVIPDined on 2/20/2014We had dinner there on the first night of the stay and it was good but not great. I had a beet salad but found it difficult to find the beets-they were very thin slices and were overwhelmed by lettuce. Beets should have been the feature. Our second visit was not good. I ordered fish tacos and my partner a club sandwich. We waited 35 minutes for food and when it came the sandwich was not on toast. My tacos were cold and there was only one tiny piece of fish in the taco. It was filled with sliced cherry tomatoes. I sent it back asking for it to be hot and for more fish. Another 15 minutes they still hadn't brought me another plate. It was far from busy so there was no excuse. We had to leave before my food came back. Very disappointed.