Summer Shack Cambridge
149 Alewife Brook Parkway
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Summer Shack Cambridge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.summershackrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175209500x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5pm - 11:00pm Saturday: 12pm- 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Tim Willis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: In addition to seating for up to 350 people at the restaurant, we have a full service catering division and will travel all over New England. Our mobile Clambake on Wheels trailer allows us to bring our famous New England clambake to you. We also offer a wide variety of other types of menus perfect for your special event from rehearsal dinners, corporate outings, holiday parties and other celebrations.
A word from Summer Shack Cambridge
The Summer Shack is a fun, casual, restaurant. Specializing in New England Style Seafood. We offer 8 to 10 different types of oysters daily. Lobsters in varying sizes and styles including our signature clambake. Wonderful local grilled fish and crispy fried seafood. We do offer several non-seafood items as well. Steaks, burgers and award winning fried chicken. We are a children friendly restaurant and we can accommodate larger groups upon request.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Summer Shack Cambridge - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Summer Shack Cambridge reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (86)kid-friendly (80)fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (27)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Consistent qualityDiningDetailsDined on 6/14/2014This was our 6th visit in as many months and as always the fish was fresh and well cooked. "Shack" sums up the atmosphere - nothing fancy here - but a fun atmosphere and consistently good quality make for a great place to get together with friends.Special Features:
- Pluto4disappointeddogsVIPDined on 6/14/2014excellent food, love the casual dining experience here (cambridge location), has the best waiter (Sal)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the first time, disappointingreddDined on 6/10/2014We have gone here many times but this time was alarming. The lobster was definitely not up to snuff, but still very high priced. (Three of our party had lobster and one had a lobster roll, and only one said their lobster was top-shelf). My crab cake was excellent as was the spinach salad. Corn was only average. Beans were fab. But the lobstah -- what a disappointment!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/9/2014Very pleasant for dinner on Monday night - not too crowded or noisy. Oyster menu was great, particularly enhanced by a helpful waitress who had tried all five kinds recently and her clearly honest recommendations influenced our choices. Service was excellent, no hovering but always appeared with water/drink refills when needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 897 reviews are from the Summer Shack Cambridge reviews archive.
- GeorgeGeorgeVIPDined on 5/21/2014We have been to Summer Shack in Cambridge many times over the years. The food is generally very good, especially their fish blackboard specials. Had fried flounder last night, very fresh, properly cooked, and a generous portion. This is a large restaurant with ambiance that varies.
- Just great!!GuylouDined on 5/18/2014Food was great, clam chowder and lobsters are just excellent!! A little bit noisy, not a good place for a romantic dinner but to eat great seafood!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun DinnerWsweVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a great time at the Shack! Food is very good! Our waitress was wonderful!!!! And they start the meal with a big basket of wonderful warm rolls and corn bread. We were 6 people and everyone enjoyed their meal.Special Features:
- Always reliably greatRichDined on 5/15/2014Our go-to place for occasions - this time my birthday. My wife and I both are lobster nuts though so that helps make this a fun place for us. Their pan roasted lobster is always super delicious!Special Features:
- Great Local RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014A fun place to go, but plan on an an array of seating options and a loud dining room. Food is fresh and there are interesting special combinations. As the name implies, it's a "shack" feeling. The food is plated nicely, but not with the same ambiance as a fine restaurant. Oysters are so fresh and lots of other seafood options. It's a wonderful local restaurant which covers the basics of having a casual dining experience without having to get dressed up, have trouble parking and stress about what to wear. It's fun, kid friendly, and if you go in with that expectation, you'll certainly want to go back.Special Features:
- Manuela my Server RocksCARIBDIVADined on 5/11/2014We had a reservation for Mother's Day and it's the best choice for a Mother's day brunch. I was with my granddaughter and her child. The food was delicious and our server was just an added touch. She made sure she talked to our 4 years old little guy in the party and made eye contact with him. She was watching her tables from afar and would promptly check with us when lifted our heads. She was friendly, pleasant, on top of things and just a joy. Lobsters were amazing, well cooked. We order two and they were prepared differently. Both delicious, sauce not heavy even when it was creamy. This was my first time, I'm definitely coming back with friends and family and will recommend. Worth driving for if you are from far away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent Mother's Day experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Had a great Mother's Day lunch here at Summer Shack. Food was excellent and my little one loved looking at the lobsters. They even took one out of the tank for her to look at. She loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSinatraDined on 5/10/2014We were hoping for some good seafood. Instead, we found the food was tasteless, over salted and over priced. The restaurant was VERY Loud. A disappointing dining experience.Special Features:
- Summer shack not just for summerMhw123Dined on 4/30/2014Really good seafood. Some very creative dishes. Took friends from out of town craving lobster. No one was disappointed. Pan fried lobster to die for!Special Features:
- Decent upgrade but food just ok.LickingMyChopsVIPDined on 4/25/2014They have upgraded the interior which has changed the overall appeal. My daughter had an overcooked burger that was quite a bust for a birthday outing. The one positive was the speciality dessert of Creme brûlée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Awful and Over-PricedFoodtoenjoyDined on 4/23/2014The portion were so small. I had the fish special. It was the size of my palm, with 2 pieces of spinach and two beans in the sauce for $24.00. The fish was rubbery and the sauce blah. The waiter was rude, dressed sloppy a big man with no time to explain dishes and put out when asked about the menu. My aunt recommended this place and hated her fish dinner as well. She was so embarrassed that the food was so bad and so outrageously priced. The only thing that anyone liked was the corn bread.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/22/2014We were very well served and enjoyed an excellent meal.
- Falling a little shortEmptyNesterVIPDined on 4/21/2014There's so much about Summer Shack that made me really want to like it. It has great atmosphere. Even the concept is great -- recreate the feeling of eating fresh seafood al fresco at the sea shore. At the end of the day it was just OK. None of the food was bad. In fact most was OK or even better. The seafood is very fresh after all. Still, it has ambitions (reflected in the price) to be something more and it falls short. If I'd had food like this at a Seafood Shack somewhere on Cape Anne I would have been very pleased. That said, I'm likely to go back at some point. I can see it as a nice venue for informal business entertaining, or if we wanted to take out the entire extended family en masse.Special Features:
- Good seafood and fishJillianlovestoeatDined on 4/19/2014A reliable fish and seafood restaurant, good food, family friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerbirthdaygirlDined on 4/13/2014Very pleased overall. If new england seafood is your thing, this is the place! Lobstah, (some really great crablegs too!) Definately recommended. Not pretentious. Just good old well prepared seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Having traveled 90 miles to see a jazz show at Scullers in Alston our foursome made dinner reservations at The Summer Shack in Watertown, Ma. and our meals were top shelf. The food and service were excellent and we plan on returning here in the future.Special Features:
- Great seafood, prices WAY to high..AndyDVIPDined on 4/8/2014Food was excellent, beer selection very good. But as the name indicates the atmosphere was more Shack than Chalet. IT's nice just low end, yet the prices were more fine dining. Seafood is not cheap, but, they are about 50% more than what they could/should be.Special Features:
- fresh new england seafoodbostonbruins4lifeDined on 4/6/2014What more could you ask for? Service was great, food was great, seafood was fresh and not overcooked! Lobster tank in the middle is fun. When I'm back in Boston would not hesitate to go again! Place was packed when we were there which says it all! Make sure you reserve a table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't feed a Vegan!!LilyDined on 4/6/2014I've been going to the Summer Shack in Cambridge since it opened. I've taken many of my friends to it when they visit Boston, and to a person, they love it. Except last Sunday. A dear friend from NYC is a vegan. My other friend wanted lobster, and we called ahead to make sure SS had something to serve a vegan. They had rice, and salad. When we got there, the server had no idea what a vegan was, and told us all of the rice and vegetables are cooked in animal-based oils. SO, my friend ate nothing. We ended up leaving and going to Tru Bistro. It was embarrassing. As the restaurant of one of the best chefs in Boston, and the U.S, it is expected that you would have at least ONE Vegan dish that would not just satisfy, but really delight a vegan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightLMRSVIPDined on 4/5/2014We live walking distance from Summer Shack, and it is healthy and safer (with cocktails) for us to walk there and back now that the snow has melted. I had the clam chowder, good -- not the greatest on Earth, and a very nice piece of Salmon. My coconut cream pie was flavorful but a little dry. My husband had one of each of the Oysters and liked them all. He had the fried clams too with the remoulade - very delicious.The cocktails are yummy, but seemed less strong than in the past. Our waitress was wonderful, the timing on the food was perfect, and I am sure that having an early dinner at 5:00 made the timing work so well. As we left, the place was getting packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Friendly with Great FoodSJGatesDined on 4/5/2014We have been coming to Summer Shack since it opened and have always loved the food. Now we have a grandchild and we bring him with us. There aren't many places with the longevity of this restaurant that have maintained the quality of their food. We look forward to many more family celebrations at the great institution.Special Features:
- Poor qualityquicheDined on 4/2/2014Unfortunately this restaurant in nothing but a disappointment. I always think it is going to be better than it is. The food was poor and the restaurant has an old fish smell.
- Dinner for ElevenjhclycVIPDined on 3/29/2014Summer Shack's variety in seafood and choices for land lovers are always excellent. Yesterday our party of eleven had everything from clam chowder, to the spicy Bermudian chowder (excellent), salads, fried clams, fried smelts, Jasper's famous fried chicken and some great sea bass and monkfish. There was room for dessert and we all tasted strawberry rhubarb pie, the wonderful creme brûlée, lemon cake, banana foster and cookie/ice cream sandwich. Every one was happy. Smiles all around the table Our server was attentive while managing a full and busy section of the restaurant. Our meals here are always good, satisfying as we have come to expect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SummerShack FunOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2014My family and I had a good time at the restaurant, food was good, service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekInlovewseafoodDined on 3/23/2014My friend and I went for restaurant week and it was very disappointing. The food was blah....I had mussels, the smallest I had ever had, my friend had lobster pot stickers, no flavor. For our meals, I had grilled shrimp over fries....shrimp was overcooked and no flavor.... My friend scrod, again had no flavor..... The only ok part was the dessert...they were pretty good. We had the bread pudding and creme brulee. Not sure if it was just the menu for restaurant week that was so bad. Honestly, I felt like I was eating at an applebee's or something like that. This was our first time there and we probably would not be returning.
- Family ReunionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014We were 23 and we all enjoyed or experience. For me personally, I would have preferred a quieter place for talking to family members. I found myself shouting and was hoarse at the end of the evening. Otherwise it was all very good and interesting and reasonably priced for the most part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe it's the location(Cambridge)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014Went to Summer Shack on a recommendation from a local. My overall experience was a dissapointment.For the $$ the Surf n Turff the portions where very small. The crab legs were extremely small and the skewer of steak came with three small pieces of tough meat (although I asked for medium ). The waiter did not even introduce himself and before we could sit down and take our coats he asked " can I get your drinks" Maybe it's the location?Special Features:
- Great PLaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014We loved the restaurant. I was wheelchair accessible. The parking for me was great. The staff was wonderful. It is a family atmosphere we loved watching the chef show the lobster to the children and the open kitchen. A bit pricy but average for Boston but the food was worth every single penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clams and oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2014We had a selection of raw oysters and enjoyed them all. The fried clams were terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love there corn bread.eatingisgreatDined on 3/2/2014This was my first visit to Summer shack. It was mind blowing the decor was live, the oyster bar was great. I fell in love all over again, there bread rolls and corn bread is to die for. This is a hidden gem and I will return in the next week, because I don't think I had enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliable, special, funRichDined on 2/27/2014Summer Shack is our favorite "special occasion" place. Yes it is expensive, but we always leave thinking it was worth it. The pan-roasted lobster is just plain delicious. If you are worrying about cholesterol this isn't the dish for you but if you want a memorable lobster-fest. go for it. We mentioned it was our anniversary to the server and an on-the-house special appetizer soon appeared - their signature pot-stickers. Yum!Special Features:
- PLEASANTLY SURPRISEDdbaxDined on 2/23/2014I was wondering about this place since I moved to Massachusetts. I drove by it frequently and for some reason the word "Shack" gave me some trepidation. I finally decided to try it this weekend, and we were very pleased. i had the New England Bouillabaisse and my wife had the Lobster Roll. Our daughter had fried chicken and fries. Our food was great, the service was great, and the restaurant was clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You know what to expectOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/22/2014Food is fresh and specials are prepared interestingly. One item, the Char special was portioned small. Should have had a larger piece of char and not an end piece to accompany the three clams that it was presented with. It was very good despite there was little there. Everyone enjoyed their meals. There has been some renovations, but mostly with the seated bar area. Host station is a little awkward now as there is limited space. Other bar area is still under renovation. Less place to stand for those waiting. Not us, because we used Open Table!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy for conversationWestCambridgeLadyVIPDined on 2/22/2014We returned to the Summer Shack because we read that it had been redesigned but we found the dining room to be the same vast cavernous space it has always been. All surfaces are hard, exacerbating the problem. The food is okay, not good enough to warrant a return visit, but it is easy to park.Special Features:
- OutstandingiketechDined on 2/20/2014Our party of 8 was treated like royalty. The service was terrific, attentive without being intrusive. The food was amazing. Seafood doesn't get any fresher, and perfectly cooked. Everyone was very happy. Nice beer selection on tap with the newly renovated bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great all theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The food was great all the seafood was fresh the sever was all right but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because it was valentines day but all in all great food great drinks great place and there's ample parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.