Craigie on Main
853 Main Street
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Craigie on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.craigieonmain.com/
- Phone: 6174975511x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: 5:30-10:00pm (10:30 Fri & Sat)
Bar: 5:30pm-12 Midnight
Late Night Bar Menu: Until 11:00 pm
Bar Drinks Served: 5:30-12:00 Midnight
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am-1:30pm
The "Chef's Whim" is available on Sunday evenings after 9:00 pm. Chef Tony Maws cooks for your table - either a $45 four-course or $57 six-course menu. Tony loves to cook and serve up impromptu dishes that may not be on the regular menu, and is at his most inventive, spontaneous, and generous. It’s never the same meal twice and your palates and pocketbooks are the winners! The “Chef’s Whim” is available in two versions only - “The Surprise” (which may contain meat and fish) and Vegetarian. We regret that there are no other selections or substitutions.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Tony Maws
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Area for groups of over 12 for lunches or dinners Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings, or Sunday Brunch. Please contact us about a restaurant buyout any time.
- Private Party Contact: Kelley Hotti 6174975511x
- Cross Street: Main St. and Mass. Ave
- Public Transit: Central Square T Stop, the No. 1 bus at the Main Street stop
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: There is plenty of street parking and nearby parking lots. Valet Parking is always available at dinner (but not for Sunday Brunch).There is ample on- street parking nearby after 6 pm. There is a well-lit public parking lot one block away on Bishop Allen Drive (just behind the restaurant).
There is a paid parking lot at Le Meridien Hotel on the corner of Green St. and Sidney St.
A word from Craigie on Main
Eat out and feel at home! Chef Tony Maws - winner of the James Beard Award for Best Chef, Northeast - combines French-inspired “nose -to-tail refined rusticity” with ”no exceptions” local, seasonal, & organic or natural ingredients. Enjoy the bar (Food & Wine’s ”Top 100 in US”), ”Our Sunday Best Brunch”, and Tasting Menus …Thanks to GQ for naming us #2 (!) in 10 Best New US Restaurants, Food Network for “Best Breakfast in MA”, Boston Magazine for 2010 “Best Bigtime Chef” and Boston Globe for one of ”The 10 Most Influential Restaurants” of the decade. We are the third most popular restaurant in Boston, says Zagat and one of the Top 100 Wine Restaurants in the US, says Wine Enthusiast!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Craigie on Main - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Craigie on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (210)special occasion (163)neighborhood gem (101)romantic (93)notable wine list (92)hot spot (50)great for brunch (48)vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (18)late-night find (14)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014$650 for 4 (we had cocktails as well) is a lot of money for a restaurant like Craigie. Similar meals at Rialto or Harvest or Oleana would cost much less. Food was excellent, waitress was a little pushy. The portions were not worth the $100 a person for the sampler. One of us was a vegetarian and that sampler was also $100--not worth the money. We were all disappointed with the expense given we were frequent diners at the former Craigie Street Bistro. Despite the expense, we had a great time and could not stop talking about our shock at the cost of dinner as we made our way to our car. Be prepared to spend a lot of money.
- A great choiceBunnythecarnivoreDined on 7/18/2014Friday we were celebrating our 55th anniversary with our daughter. We'd had brunch there several years ago and were not so favorably impressed, but since we'd heard good thing over the years we thought it worthwhile to try dinner there. Spoiled by eating at fine restaurants in France, while living there part of each year over four decades, we are still hyper critical although the US has gotten better and better. WE LOVED OUR MEAL at CRAIGIE ON MAIN. A real plus was that rather than heaping mediocre food on the the plates everything was exceptionally tasty and the right amount. We found the carafe white wine a great choice with our meals. I just wish I had the recipe for the chicken breast dish. It was something one would prepare often.Special Features:
- AmazingOvereaterDined on 7/16/2014Great experience, food and service. Best meal in Boston yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in greater BostonPhilVIPDined on 7/16/2014That subject won't surprise anyone for this restaurant because the food is excellent and well known to be excellent, but I have to say, this was the best service I've had there too. We selected the tasting menu (as we always do there) and know that when we do we're in for a nice, long meal. You don't order that in a rush. When our food took a bit longer than normal between courses, our server handled it very well. We weren't impatient, but we did notice that it was taking a little while and she noticed too. She twice comped us a round of drinks and even brought my wife a candle to blow out for her birthday. Totally excellent dining experience all around. It all just reconfirmed my love for this spot.Special Features:
- docjeffVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great cocktails. The valet was nowhere to be found. Food was fabulous, with much attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ananasVIPDined on 7/12/2014Craigie continues to be a fantastic restaurant in every way. I am very glad to see the restaurant give vegetarian options serious attention. The salads have really been outstanding recently. Always very fresh, creative and delicious. The vegetarian entree this time was a delicious stuffed zucchini. Of course, Craigie is known for fantastic pork and they did not disappoint. I appreciate being able to take my family and friends to this restaurant as I am sure that there will be great options for every one and no one will feel like they are having to make due with a dish that is kind of an after thought.
- All hat, no cowboyAldoEatsDined on 7/11/2014Truly a terrible meal. Oysters with their liquor removed, whipped with mignonette and then back in the shell. The oysters got frozen and came out as hard shriveled little over-salted brown things. Octopus that was so over brined that it disintegrated in your mouth. The sturgeon quite simply was not fresh and was chewy and mealy - no excuse. The pork three ways was a total disappointment; sausage was without flavor, the casing had not been properly prepared so it was not edible; the slices of loin were 85% chewy fat and very rare; and third: the single rib was so over spice rubbed and cooked that it felt like jerky in your mouth. Such a disappointment, particularly as the menu is priced for fine dining but the food was amateur night.Special Features:
- Inventive cuisineBGPBDined on 7/11/2014Hospitable without phoniness, attentive without being annoying, very interesting menu choices & pairings. Somewhat expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014The menu was unexpected but we enjoyed it very much. The only disappointment was the dessert. Our server was very knowledgeable and assisted us with menu/wine choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost inediblesjb2014Dined on 7/10/2014I went with four of my girlfriends as a special dinner. The ambience was nice, the drinks were delicious, and our waitress was very friendly. But the food was so salty it was basically inedible. Even the salad! I told my waitress and she asked if we wanted something else. The answer was no, because it wasn't 100% inedible so we had eaten enough to not be hungry any more. We ordered dessert, one of which was good, the other very uninteresting. The level of salt used is unacceptable for any restaurant, but especially one at this price point, where part of the selling point is the quality of the ingredients being used. Although I liked our waitress I was rather dismayed that no one offered to comp us anything, given what I had told her.
- ExtraordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/9/2014This is an exceptional restaurant. They use seasonal and locally-sourced ingredients of the highest quality to prepare creative, refined dishes. The wait staff is superb and exceptionally knowledgable, and is clearly enthusiastic about what the restaurant is doing. Out table of four had the eight-course chef's tasting, which really turned out to be ten courses with the amuse-bouche and extra desserts. Absolutely a delight.Special Features:
- Craigie. You win.mzsylverDined on 7/9/2014I went here three years ago - it was good but not too impressive... Now... WOW. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WOW. I finally got the burger (simply put, infused with the essence of tasty). Service was AMAZING - this was the first time EVER on OpenTable a restaurant read the Notes section on my reservation. FIRST TIME EVER. The waitress was very good in dealing with my companion's food allergies. All the drinks we had were uniquely blended and delicious (there was a dried perhaps candied lemon in my drink - Change of Habit - that I delighted in chewing upon). My companion's drink, The Killing Word, was the real star - simply the aroma is enough to awaken the dead in yearning for more. And dessert. Three words: just do it. Vanilla Saffron Pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the line foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014If you want true 5-star cuisine, Craigie on Main will deliver. From start to finish the food is divine, and they also serve up an excellent selection of cocktails and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerLindsayVIPDined on 7/5/2014Craigie's on Main was recommended to my fiancé and me as "one of the best restaurants in the country" so we thought we should give it a try when we visited Boston. The octopus appetizer was amazing however my red drum entree was way too salty. I almost considered sending it back. The fish itself was excellent with a great crunch to the skin but the zucchini and sauce was almost inedible due to the salt! The praline dessert was to die for, and naturally gluten free! I would definitely come back but would speak to the waitress about the salt before ordering!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu unpleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014The staff was attentive and friendly, but the dishes arrived irregularly sometimes more than 20 min apart, as if each dish in the tasting menu was submitted as a new order and that the chefs did not plan for the entire tasting. one plate arrived 40 min after the previous plate, another took 20 min. Two hr later and half-way through the menu, we gave up. Although each plate was skillfully prepared, creativity was lacking. No interesting combination of flavors and saltiness diminished flavors. the spare rib, etc., was heavy and not the right choice for the final plate. Each plate in the tasting menu should stand alone, but also contribute to the progression of flavors among the series of dishes served. These plates appeared poorly integrated.Special Features:
- JulieVIPDined on 7/2/2014Tasting menu is WAY too expensive for the quality and amount of food you get.Special Features:
- Try the Chef's WhimOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Some of the best food and definitely the best service in the Boston-Cambridge area! I've only ever been for the Sunday late-night chef's whim, where the kitchen dreams up wonderfully inventive courses for you to try, but I'm sure that any night of the week will be amazing, too. And try the chef's whim if you're up for some adventure!Special Features:
- Always outstandingbanditDined on 6/29/2014Our last dinner at Craigie's was outstanding as usual. Everything was truly excellent, and the wine selection (Austrian) went with both the pork and the bluefish. It is always an experience to dine at Craigie's. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentCambFoodieDined on 6/29/2014We went to COM hoping for a memorable meal and were sorely disappointed. The service was very slow and the menu rather limited and pretentious. The food was not compelling and was highly overpriced. We will not be back.
- Best restaurantPatrickDined on 6/28/2014I looked for Michelin star restaurants in Boston but there were none...Craigie on Main could fits into the category. Amazing food and service. Went back three times during our short stay in Boston. Ps. We tried all the best restaurant in Boston and Craigie on Main was the best of the best.Special Features:
- HarrisjrDined on 6/28/2014Craigie on Main has a special offer for persons attending Central Square Theater events so we went on a date. The service was extraordinary, the food memorable, and the wine exceptional. It's a great scene with the open kitchen which gives a sense of energy to the place. We'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyfoodstuffDined on 6/28/2014We had a group of three and we each got the 6 course tasting because everyone said you had to do that. We also had some wine and beer before and during dinner. The food was creative and fun, with each course having something unique about it that kept us interested. We found the staff to be a little overbearing but certainly enthusiastic. But overall, none of us left feeling like we'd had an amazing experience that we would recommend to friends. And with a $600 price tag for 3 people, it was not worth the $$$.Special Features:
- Craigiemsweeney14Dined on 6/27/2014We had a wonderful meal with exceptional service. Everything was amazing and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouserwrDined on 6/21/2014We absolutely adore Craigie on Main and it is never a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Dissapointingeli12VIPDined on 6/21/2014My appetizer, the Octopus, was fantastic. We shared the chicken for two, and I have had better, even at Craigie's.Special Features:
- MagnificentelmellDined on 6/20/2014A rec from a foodie friend led us here to celebrate our wedding day. Do not be deceived by decrepit streetscape: treasure awaits within. 6-course tasting menu was sublime, full of surprise and delight and intense flavor at every turn, as it should be. Very professional yet low-key and friendly staff gave outstanding service, including excellent wine recommendations. Atmosphere is much more gemütlich than pretentious or stuffy: feels like a neighborhood restaurant. Not cheap, of course, but I have paid more elsewhere and been disappointed: not so here. Book or arrive early; the place was full upon opening at 5:30 on a Friday. But go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJTB1VIPDined on 6/19/2014Sat at the chef's table overlooking the small kitchen. Gained a new appreciation for the level of detail for the food and its presentation. Wonderful meal and excellent service.Special Features:
- Great when somebody else is payingdfischmanDined on 6/19/2014Two of use had the prix fixe dinner plus one drink each and it came to over $200. We went because we had a gift certificate for $150, so it was a lovely meal. I doubt we'll go back--too expensive, and too few items that aren't pork or seafood--but it was worth doing.Special Features:
- wonderfulmmassonDined on 6/15/2014delicious and interesting food! service was enthusiastic. Overall wonderful experience. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fair, service condescendingFoodiefromctDined on 6/15/2014Disappointed as friends who are foodies recommended craigies. Wait person talked to us as if we had never been to a restaurant. First course was rushed and main course took over 20 minutes. There were several managers on the floor but they didn't seem to observe the uneven service. We enjoyed the wine.Special Features:
- Favorite spot.ColleenDined on 6/15/2014Celebrated my partner's 30th birthday here because it's her favorite restaurant. We had an amazing 8 course meal to remember.Special Features:
- Yes but.... hmm!2cannyscotsDined on 6/15/2014We chose the restaurant and and the five course tasting menu as a treat on our last night in Boston. Asked about preferences my friend mentioned she hoped no chicken and I said I rather fancied the octopus on the prix fixe menu. Did we like bone marrow? One dubious, one had never tried. Did we like asparagus? Yes, we did. The courses progressed deliciously slowly and the octopus was fabulous. The only criticism we had was at the end when, after a refreshing sorbet and a rich dessert we were brought ANOTHER rich dessert each - really too much. But the sting was finding the bone marrow and the asparagus were added onto the bill as "sides". When we queried this they were immediately deducted...but still, a bit of a let down at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chubby88Dined on 6/15/2014First time. Excellent brunch. Excellent service. A "scene" in it's own way. Attention to quality of food is obvious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, wine and serviceMrBillDined on 6/14/2014Everything was top notch. Only complaint (just for me) I wish it was not so loud or least the guy next too me did not feel everyone in the restaurant was interested in what he had too say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureeastcoastfodieDined on 6/13/2014It is always a pleasure to dine here. The staff is attentive and the food always stimulates and pleases. We received a complimentary cocktail (it was our anniversary) and from the amuse to the dessert...really special...as always!Special Features:
- outstandingpeggyeatsDined on 6/11/2014food was delicious, imaginative and well presented. staff were charming, informed and helpful. what more could you want?Special Features:
- Cambridge legend!OldHorizontalVIPDined on 6/10/2014First visit for us and we were very pleased with the excellent service and most attentive staff. If you like the open kitchen concept , you'll love this gem. Eclectic dishes abound....try the "pork done three ways" & any of the daily fish preparations. Their well deserved reputation and performance will bring us back across the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very enjoyable eveningnickVIPDined on 6/10/2014A great neighborhood bar and restaurant. Very attentive service, a great looking place, energetic and fun.Special Features:
- Outstanding food--innovative chefPaloAltolocalDined on 6/8/2014Great restaurant near Central Square in Cambridge--casual ambience and a little noisy but the food is superb. Service is attentive, friendly, and eager to please. All in all a very nice evening.Special Features:
- deborah1019Dined on 6/7/2014What a ripoff! $67.00 APIECE for half a chicken. Chicken wasn't even as good as I remembered. They have no name brand vodka. The bill with tip was $217.00 a couple, with one drink each. We will NEVER go back.