Hiro's - Petaluma
107 Petaluma Boulevard North
Petaluma, CA 94952Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Hiro's - Petaluma
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hirosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7077632300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00/9:30 Dinner: Friday - Saturday 5:00/10:00 Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30/2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Gen Mizoguchi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
A word from Hiro's - Petaluma
Located at the center of Historic Downtown Petaluma. Hiro's Japanese Restaurant offers high quality sushi, Japanese cuisine and a wide selection of Premium Sake in a comfortable and unique setting masterfully designed by acclaimed Japanese artist Naoki Tekenouchi. Awarded Five Stars by the Press Democrat.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hiro's - Petaluma reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance2.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (1)Show More
- Outstanding sushi. AmongElceeVIPDined on 2/28/2011Outstanding sushi. Among the very best in the whole Bay Area. Service was better this time than on our last visit.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurant - BestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011Fantastic restaurant - Best sushi in the bay area!!Special Features:
- As always the service andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/13/2011As always the service and food at Hiro's is stellar.Special Features:
- Jusmedium inservice and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/22/2011Jusmedium inservice and food. Waiters need to be trained.
- Overall the food was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/29/2010Overall the food was very good. The reason I have it three stars for food is because the crab was imitation crab and they use mayo in it. But if you stay away from the rolls with crab you will not be disappointed.
- Hiro's is one of the top threeElceeVIPDined on 12/24/2010Hiro's is one of the top three sushi restaurants in Sonoma County. The food is always excellent. Some great sakes too! Sometimes, the service is not up to par.Special Features:
- Hiro's is Japanese cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2010Hiro's is Japanese cuisine at its best. Black Cod was super and delicately prepared as well as the other entrees and appetizers. Great Sake selection and excellent service. We thorougly enjoyed our Christmas dinner.Special Features:
- Excellent Black Cod dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/19/2010Excellent Black Cod dinner, one of the highlights of our dining trip.Special Features:
- The sushi chef was friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2010The sushi chef was friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable. I asked him to make a roll for me with the fish I like, and he made an awesome one!Special Features:
- This was some of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/17/2010This was some of the best sushi we have had in awhile. The Spanish mackerel and spicy scallop hand roll were absolutely fabulous.Special Features:
- Didn't think it was the freshestOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2010Didn't think it was the freshest sushi, but large pieces, and rocking drinks. Great service, ambience in line with Japanese restaurants. Outstanding service. Lots of eel on menu, no lobster. Probably won't give a second try because of the food.
- I'd argue that this is theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/8/2010I'd argue that this is the best sushi in Petaluma! The rolls are delicious and fresh...some are pretty creative too, which is always nice! Overall, it was a great night out, with good food! We'll be back!
- Food continues to be excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2010Food continues to be excellent, as is the service. The poke is among the best I've had anywhere.Special Features:
- Food was great, well presentedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2010Food was great, well presented and very satisfying. Our waitress was the best! I had the Soju peach bellini and it was quite delicious too. I highly reccommend this place!Special Features:
- Excellent, fresh sushi, BUTluv2eatVIPDined on 5/14/2010Excellent, fresh sushi, BUT cooked items such as sukiyaki, teriyake chicken were not as desirable. Sukiyaki was salty and too sweetSpecial Features:
- It was a decent place, butOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/13/2010It was a decent place, but it was very pricey for what we got. I don't think we'll go back.Special Features:
- Food was very good. The scallopOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/13/2010Food was very good. The scallop was really fresh and good. The presentation was excellent. Only one complain would be the perfume waitress was wearing, too strong...Special Features:
- When I booked my reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2010When I booked my reservation online I indicated that I would need a high chair. The restaurant folks didn't know. Any way you could tell them things like that?Special Features:
- My wife and I attended Hiro'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/27/2010My wife and I attended Hiro's during a "Restaurant Week" promotion. Their menu on-line offered four courses prix fixe for $29: appetizer, entree, sushi roll, and dessert. The menu presented at the restaurant only offered three courses for the same price, combining the entree and sushi roll into one category. We gave the place the benefit of the doubt that the revised menu would still provide value, because value is what Restaurant Week is all about. We couldn't be more wrong. My selections amounted to a thin broth with several store-bought gyoza, a maki filled with leathery bits of "hamachi cheek," and a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream. Dinner for two with tax, tip and a beer amounted to $80 for food that wasn't worth half that amount
- I am not by no means a sushialembicVIPDined on 2/26/2010I am not by no means a sushi connoisseur, and as is my habit, I ordered from the dinner entrees, opting for the black cod, which was very good, even if slightly overcooked. What morsels I did taste from my companions' sushi rolls (Dynamite and Lion King) were delicious. Service was good, though somehow we never got our hot towels that everyone else around us seemed to enjoy pre-dinner for a hand wash. I would love to return and explore more dishes from the extensive menu, given that the feel of the restaurant is also very pleasant in its clean, modernist lines and decor.Special Features:
- This was possibly the worstOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2010This was possibly the worst dining experience of my entire life. My friend and I had a young woman as our waitress, and she ignored us most of the night, even when there was only one other table she still ignored us (while CONSTANTLY checking up on the other table who was a party of hot guys). We ordered off of the Sonoma County Restaurant menu, we were soo excited! Such a dissapointment!! The food was nothing special- even gross at times! The collar sushi roll tasted like a sloppy Joe sushi roll! Our food took forever, I understand they were very busy at first, but they brought me the wrong entree, and didn't get what I actually ordered for about 25 minutes! Suffice to say I will never go back there!
- It took nearly an hour towinegalDined on 2/24/2010It took nearly an hour to get any food at all, by that time we had finished our drinks and were very hungry! Even after we received some of our food, they forgot one part of our order and it was very difficult to find a server unless you got up and stood by the sushi bar.Special Features:
- My Wife and I came in forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2010My Wife and I came in for Sonoma County's Restaurant week with high hopes but left very disappointed. The staff was friendly enough, but after ordering and waiting a long time for our appetizers we grew impatient. We ended up leaving the restaurant after a full hour because we had only received our appetizers and nobody even acknowledged that we had been waiting for such a long time. If the staff had told us they were a little backed up we probably would have stayed, but because nobody said anything to us, and we had no idea how much longer it would have been for our main course we left. The food we did receive however was very good- but not worth the wait.
- Very nicely prepared food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/19/2010Very nicely prepared food. The sushi rolls tasted great and were very well proportioned. The highlight of the meal was the spring rolls- we really enjoyed them and will definitely order them next time.Special Features:
- Absolutely the best sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/22/2010Absolutely the best sushi around. Fantastic service, we are always greeted by the owner and have had great service by all of the wait staff.Special Features:
- this was my second time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/19/2009this was my second time here & it was good both times. Service was excellent! I'm so glad that it was on Open Table or I would never have known about this little gem!Special Features:
- Not the best sushi place I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/18/2009Not the best sushi place I've been to but for Petaluma not bad. Better places in Sausalito and San Rafeal but that's a long drive for us Sonoman's.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/28/2009Really enjoyed the food and the service was great.Special Features:
- If you want to be ignoredsrjcgradDined on 11/25/2009If you want to be ignored this is the place to go. Sushi takes a long time to make, but it seemed to take extra long when you run out of sake. Thankfully the busboy got us another sake and charged us for 2. The waiter took off the extra sake - which probably went to the table next to us, they got 3 sakes and a thai roll in the time for us to get our second one. They also were seated 30 minutes after we were seated. But the food was nice. Just don't expect to get anything else after you get your food. Lou K
- too much rice on the rolls.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2009too much rice on the rolls. nothing special compared to other sushi alternatives.
- Very nice place with goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/6/2009Very nice place with good service. Quality of the sushi is great, however the ahi tuna poke appetizer was too spicy - we like spicy but this was over the top! Excellent selection of saki too.Special Features:
- Fun atmosphere and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2009Fun atmosphere and wonderful tuna/cucumber/jalapeno/nectarine special! Chicken terraki was so-soSpecial Features:
- Hiros was hopping the nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2009Hiros was hopping the night we went. Really, really busy. Busier than I've ever seen it. So I was happy for the restaurant; Nice to see our local outstanding sushi place busy. However, I believe they were just a little short staffed. They were doing a very good job of keeping up, but I felt the lag and felt sorry for the staff. Would've liked a little quicker service.Special Features:
- The sashimi was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/2/2009The sashimi was extremely fresh and proportioned correctly; rolls were inventive without relying on the mayo-based sauces found at inferior restaurants. On a busy Fri night, the service remained attentive and friendly. Great sake samplers here as well! We've also been for lunch and are consistently pleased with our food. I've eaten my share of sushi over the years and am quite picky-- Hiro's is definitely on par with places in SF and Hawaii. And their prices are incredibly reasonable. Definitely give it a try if you love sushi!Special Features:
- By far the best Sushi in SonomaJessRVIPDined on 8/14/2009By far the best Sushi in Sonoma County - the "real deal".Special Features:
- Hiros was incredible, bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2009Hiros was incredible, best chicken teriyaki I have ever had! Two thumbs up on the drink menu as well!! Unique and different.Special Features:
- Hiro's is an outstanding sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 7/2/2009Hiro's is an outstanding sushi restaurant. Every time we've dined here our meal has been exceptional. The fish is always fresh and the staff suggestions are always fantastic. We have something new every time and love it!Special Features:
- We'd been hearing great thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2009We'd been hearing great things about Hiro's for some time and we're delighted to report they're true. A fresh, inventive menu of food beautifully prepared and served. We'll be back, and we'll make sure we pass on the good word of mouth we received.Special Features:
- Had a great experience atOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/25/2009Had a great experience at Hiro's in Petaluma. Authentic Japanese cuisine with a twist. Large menu - great salads, rolls and fresh fish. Look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Food was good. It's the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/27/2009Food was good. It's the best sushi I've had in Sonoma County, but don't drive from outside the county to go here. The only downside was we were almost sitting on the table next to us. I would definitely go back here, only not on a Friday night.Special Features: