Hiro's - Petaluma
107 Petaluma Boulevard North
Petaluma, CA 94952Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Hiro's - Petaluma
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hirosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7077632300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00/9:30 Dinner: Friday - Saturday 5:00/10:00 Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30/2:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Gen Mizoguchi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
A word from Hiro's - Petaluma
Located at the center of Historic Downtown Petaluma. Hiro's Japanese Restaurant offers high quality sushi, Japanese cuisine and a wide selection of Premium Sake in a comfortable and unique setting masterfully designed by acclaimed Japanese artist Naoki Tekenouchi. Awarded Five Stars by the Press Democrat.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hiro's - Petaluma reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance2.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (1)Show More
- Unfortunately I based my choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2013Unfortunately I based my choice on the internet rating of this establishment! This was a celebration dinner for my lovely wifes birthday & from start to finish it did not add up to a return visit. The service was average until she brought us the wrong bill, & the sushi rolls themselves were bland, the seaweed salad was more lettuce than seaweed, & the Champagne was terrible. The owners should consider serving the local fare of wines and Champagnes.Special Features:
- Excellent!ShoshanaVIPDined on 1/17/2013The tempura was excellent - very lightly battered and beautifully presented. I highly recommend the cheesecake for dessert. I promise it will be unlike any previous cheesecake you've had - it's entirely unique. I'm a cheesecake nut originally from New York, and this was an amazing treat.Special Features:
- Fabulous!ShoshanaVIPDined on 1/2/2013I'm looking forward to many more dinners (and lunches) at Hiro's!Special Features:
- We had a very nice time.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2012We had a very nice time. It was a Monday after Thanksgiving and I think they didn't expect as many people to come in as did. The Waiter was great but overwhelmed. The food was good. But I think because they were overwhelmed the food was not as hot as I expected part of our entree was delivered five minutes after we had started our meal....
- Nice attention from waitstaffMaxwellVIPDined on 10/16/2012The food was well prepared and presented artfully (although the shrimp tempura had only two pretty "skinny" prawns and a LOT of squash). What made the evening stand out, though, was the attention we received from the young woman who waited on our table. When she saw it was our 30th anniversary, she moved us to a corner booth (as romantic as it gets in this open, high-ceilinged restaurant).Special Features:
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2012This is our new special occaision sushi place. The first time I went, evrything was good, but I was not blown away. Now I realize that I probably ordered the safer bets on the menu so that I could benchmark it (Tekka Maki, Edamame, Miso, California Rolls, etc.) - and while these were solid, they were not standouts. On a second visit, I went for the Dynamite Roll and a couple of the specials (marbled Toro) and the appetizer sampler. This line-up did blow me away. There were some innovative twists and everything was perfect (texture, serving temp, saucing, etc.). We will be coming back.
- was actually expecting moreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/6/2012was actually expecting more all across the board with the existing reviews, but it seems average to slightly above average in most categories . . . I will say that many people were there and seemed content with their food and surroundingsSpecial Features:
- Sushi was impeccable. We gotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2012Sushi was impeccable. We got the large combination Hiro Platter. Beautiful to look at. A few herbs and flowers strewned throughout. The fish unusual and extremely fresh. Delicious. The tempura we ordered was a little soggy and too greasy but you won't be disappointed in the sushi.Special Features:
- Food is always delicious butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2012Food is always delicious but for a quiet Tuesday night, the staff was slow and seemed more interested in chatting among themselves and not serving the clientele. Having only one chef on duty also made service very slow (about 25 minutes to get 3 rolls). We also ordered calamari appetizer but it was bland and mushy. We also were seated next to kitchen (even with a fairly open restaurant) which meant the wood floor would wobble and creak every 30 seconds as people came in and out.Special Features:
- Interesting sushi offers.dolphanbobVIPDined on 8/13/2012Interesting sushi offers. Service is shoddy, depends on who is your server. Prices were fair and I left satisfied.Special Features:
- Yummy Japanese CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2012Everything about Hiro's was very nice. The food was very good & the presentation of the dishes were visually delightful. The portions were huge, definitely no skimping, I left there with a full belly and very satisfied. It has the potential to be a great place for a group, but dim & quiet enough for a date night. I will definitely recommend this restaurant and will go back again.Special Features:
- Great food daunting menuTheColonelVIPDined on 7/2/2012As always they have great food here.Sometimes the menu can be a bit much though, last time we were handed 9 different pieces to read, also we would like to see them have available some of the great white wine varietals that go so well with asian cuisine like, Pinot Grigio, Gewurtztraminer, Riesling, and a rose selection none of which appeared. None the less this is a great place to dine.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerThanksDined on 6/9/2012We arrived to celebrate my boyfriends birthday. We were greeted with champagne. We ordered four different rolls and they were brought out two at a time and explained what was in each one. At the end of dinner they brought dessert for my boyfriend but also one for me at no charge. The creme brûlée was OK but the cheese cake cream puff was amazing. Great dinner! If I had any complaints, it would be about where we were seated. We sat in the center and the table on either side was having a conversation we could have done without. One was looking up and reading all the info she could find about Shingles (not the roofing kind) and the other table was so pretentious, I thought I was watching the "Housewives of Petaluma". ask for a booth!Special Features:
- Consistently DELICIOUS. HadUpward1VIPDined on 6/5/2012Consistently DELICIOUS. Had the Spyder, Choleste Roll and another and all hit the spot perfectly, as always.
- The overall experience atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2012The overall experience at Hiro's was memorable, but not in a good way. It took over 45 mins to get our food, plus the wait staff didn't come by to check on us during our wait. The food was great but not great enough to over look the bad service.
- We had a very enjoyable dinner.AbigailVIPDined on 5/5/2012We had a very enjoyable dinner. All the sushi we ordered was prepared very well. I enjoyed the wine and the service was good.Special Features:
- Yum!AlwayshungryVIPDined on 4/14/2012Delicious and inventive combinations, generous portions and lovely presentations made the meal really enjoyable. If you're ordering sushi, it's a good idea to order one less roll than you think you need. I left feeling stuffed -- but happy.Special Features:
- THE best sushi in (or evenOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/6/2012THE best sushi in (or even near) Petaluma. Never disappointing!Special Features:
- Good Neighborhood Meeting PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2012The food was wonderful and the service was good. It was a little on the loud side and the tables sit really close together...you may get to know your neighbor a little better than you might want to.Special Features:
- Food was excellent and fresh.rav1Dined on 3/24/2012Food was excellent and fresh. The house salad dressing is to die for.
- Americanized. Looks hip butOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/3/2012Americanized. Looks hip but the food isn't that great.
- Pleasant Little DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/19/2012Brief wait for our table. Service very prompt and attentive. Menu a little confusing in retrospect; daughter and I ordered combination plates that sounded very similar on menu but were very different when delivered. Sushi & sashimi were very fresh and very tasty, miso was quite good also. Desserts were good but not outstanding. Overall a very nice experience.Special Features:
- Not exactly the most romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Not exactly the most romantic place/ atmosphere, having said that we return every single year for Valentines day, birthdays, and anniversaries. We love the food! Taco's are fantastic!!!!!Special Features:
- All in all a very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2012All in all a very enjoyable and satisfying dining experience. The choice of sakes was an education in subtleties. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Hiro's in PetalumaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2012Good food & service on a quiet Monday night. Easy parking. The specials were excellent as was the sushi. Our first time, we'll return.Special Features:
- We stopped here enroute andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2011We stopped here enroute and were unsure of having sushi in wine country, but it was wonderful. I just wish we lived closer to enjoy it more often.Special Features:
- Terrible Service And AttitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/13/2011As a local resident that has been to Hiro's many times and traveled extensively, I was shocked at the service and attitude during our last visit. When arriving for an early 6:30 reservation we were shown to a table next to a table that had not been cleared and no one bothered with. When I asked for another table in the largely open dining room, the waiter said, "that's the only table we have" and wandered off. I said we would not sit there and said what about the bar, which is where we sat ourselves. The owner was present and did nothing gracious to speak to us or address the situation. Very unprofessional. This is the last time for Hiro's. We'll go to Gohan's ... better food and reliable gracious service.
- Wow! We've been here a fewUpward1VIPDined on 9/25/2011Wow! We've been here a few times and although we have always been happy, this time the food was exceptional.Special Features:
- As usual, the sushi is outstanding!ElceeVIPDined on 8/28/2011As usual, the sushi is outstanding! Some of the best in the Bay Area. But there always seems to be an issue with service. It's pleasant and friendly but not always efficient. I made a mistake on our sushi order, and when I realized it, I found the hostess who promised to tell our wait person. That never happened so I had to interrupt the wait person while she was taking another order to make sure it got changed before the sushi chefs made the mistake. It's relatively minor but the service just doesn't have the quality that the sushi doesSpecial Features:
- Great service!DinahDined on 7/28/2011Excellent sushi. Wonderful service. When we arrived, the ,maitre'd said they had had a better table for us but that someone had come in claiming they had a reservation. He offered us a free appetizer for our table. They were cordial and friendly.Special Features:
- Had the aki poke as appatizerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2011Had the aki poke as appatizer and the sashimi salad as main dish. Both were absolutely delishes and the fish very fresh! Would highly recommend to any and all sushi lovers. Will definitely go again and again.Special Features:
- Very high quality SUSHI. FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2011Very high quality SUSHI. Fresh and tasty, a must go for anyone in the Petaluma area or passing through.Special Features:
- Always exceeding expectations.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/8/2011Always exceeding expectations. Very creative specials. Great place to go for an evening away from the kids but also welcoming of families in search of exceptional food. My favorite restaurant in Petaluma.Special Features:
- well, it's good for a casualUpward1VIPDined on 6/20/2011well, it's good for a casual dining spot. I definitely recommend checking it out for something new. The decor is interesting, at the least, although it is very small. But it is comfortable. Nice variety of food and creative sushi rolls, also a decent wine list. Good enough serviceSpecial Features:
- I love Hiro's! Have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2011I love Hiro's! Have been there several times! Lunch Bento box is my favorite!Special Features:
- If I want sushi while in Petaluma,StroudShowHorsesDined on 4/19/2011If I want sushi while in Petaluma, I go to Hiro's. There isn't another place in the area I would consider. It's good, it's consistent and you don't have to worry about getting a bad meal.
- My first time visit here andTheColonelVIPDined on 4/17/2011My first time visit here and for 3 other friends too. We all agre'd that we were pleasingly surprised at how Great the sushi is at Hiro's . We all plan on returning and repeating our wonderful dinner. Easy and free on street parking,Special Features:
- Good Japanese restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/8/2011Good Japanese restaurant in Napa area and price was reasonable. I ordered traditional Chirashi, but disappointed. Quality of raw fish were not that great and recommend not to order. Deep fried foods were bit greasy. You can get much better Japanese food in San Francisco or other Bay Area. Sushi rice was pretty good and tasted like prepared by the cook who knows how to cook proper sushi rice. Overall, o.k. restaurant for Japanese food in Napa area.
- Food was great, and the diningHappyDined on 4/1/2011Food was great, and the dining area is cozy. Although fairly small, it is quaint, and suits the food. It is informal, so you can wear jeans, or if you are out and about you certainly aren't out of place in slacks and sport shirt. Prices are extremely reasonable for sushi, and sushi rolls, and the menu includes items for those that are not fans of sushi, so it makes it a nice mix menu to please most anyone.
- HIRO'S PETALUMA - OISHII!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2011Hiro's is the best Japanese restaurant in Petaluma. The menu choices are all authentic Japanese. I especially like the fresh fish and seafood, which make thir sushi and sashimi delicious.Special Features: