843 12th Street
Paso Robles, CA 93446Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artisanpasorobles.com/
- Phone: 8052378084x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Kobayashi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Shandi Kobayashi 8052378084x
A word from Artisan
From its inviting corner location at 12th and Pine streets in charming downtown Paso Robles, Artisan captures the essence of the Paso Robles wine country on every plate. Showcasing locally grown produce and handcrafted foods, Executive Chef Chris Kobayashi finds much of the inspiration for his dishes through regular trips to the farmer’s market; he combines regional American flavors in new and innovative ways. Artisan’s menu features local and organic produce, and proteins that are wild caught or sustainably farmed with no growth hormones or antibiotics. Chef Kobayashi’s insistence on freshness and quality complements his style which allows each ingredient to shine, but not overwhelm. Designed to complement its contemporary American cuisine, Artisan’s wine list offers a balanced selection of varietals that includes many wines from California regions in small or limited distribution. The staff of Artisan kindly look forward to serving you in the near future.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Artisan - Best Restaurants in Paso Robles ›
Artisan reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (110)neighborhood gem (59)notable wine list (59)special occasion (53)hot spot (30)good for groups (26)great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (21)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (17)great for brunch (16)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Pet-friendly!TheHorizontalPoetDined on 5/31/2014Besides having terrific food and great service, the staff let us eat on the patio with our little dog. They were very attentive to us and to him, bringing him water to drink. We look forward to the next time we can visist.Special Features:
- Delicious!!FKPWDined on 5/29/2014Artisan is fabulous! The food is outstanding - the best Oysters Rockefeller ever! Everything was simply wonderful, the scallops, salmon, boar, the desserts - exquisite! The service was excellent - very knowledgeable and personable. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Dog Friendly outside patioOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/29/2014Loved that the dog could sit with us on the outdoor patio. Scallops were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a special tripOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2014This was our second trip to Artisan. The first was about a year ago and we stopped in for brunch after reading a rave review. When we decided to head north to Paso for a weekend of wine tasting to celebrate our anniversary, we knew exactly where we wanted to have dinner. The new location on the square is wonderful and the actual space is very tasteful. We had a dinner of small plates and great wine. Definately one of our favorite spots!Special Features:
- Great local restaurantlightningrobDined on 5/24/2014Artisan is a terrific restaurant in downtown Paso Robles. My wife and I came here for our anniversary dinner based on all the great reviews, and were not disappointed. We both loved our dishes. I had the lamb paella special which was tender and succulent. My wife had the mushroom pizza. Our server was very attentive and recommended a good local Pinot to accompany our dishes. If we had one complaint, it was a bit louder than we expected for a place labeled "romaintic" by other reviewers. But we would absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Paso, great anywhere.nodoubtDined on 5/24/2014It was our anniversary, so my wife and I wanted to celebrate by going to the best restaurant in San Luis Obispo County, The Artisan. We were there only a few weeks ago, so normally we might have tried one of the other really good restaurants in the area, but the Artisan is so great, we had to do it. My wife didn't want to order something as mundane as chicken, but she did because she loved what it was served with, and that's really what's so wonderful, is the flavors that the main item is served with. I had the boar, and it wasn't just that the boar was so wonderful, it was how fantastic everything was that came with it. One flavor doesn't end and another begin, they work together. We had an incredible dinner, and a great evening.Special Features:
- Seriously GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014Party of four. seated on time by very nice Paso team. Excellent service. Knowledgable, attentive staff. We loved the fondue, charcuterie and cheese plats. My strip stack was perfectly prepared as was the roast boar with carrot risotto. Highly recommended, best food in Paso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CostDisappointedDined on 5/23/2014This was my first visit to the new location. Eleven dollars for half a beer isn't within my budget. The small pizza wasn't anything special at the price. The dessert menu was limited. We ended up at McPhee's for dessert and Molly Pitcher for beer. I won't be back.Special Features:
- Great Food in Heart of Paso RoblesKlrduksDined on 5/23/2014Had a great lunch here with family. They specialize in local organic food with a great wine list and full bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMickDined on 5/19/2014Best food in the area by far..The soup I had was the best ever.My main was the boar.Even my wife who avoids red meats was impressed.Our server was very helpful.Food came out at just the right time.I would rate the food as inventive but not so abstract as to frighten the timid.I went for the Rhone style flight which was best with the boar for me.The wines are fairly priced and most are local. I find their selections helpful in finding new wineries to visit.We come through Paso very often and always eat here.It is very advisable to make reservations as far in advance as it can be filled.Any day will be crowded as the locals are often the largest group .In short I admire the food service and presentation.Special Features:
- Brother's bartenderLuv2dineDined on 5/19/2014Went to check out the place. It was great! service was prompt, recommendations were appreciated, and food delicious. Next time we'll go and dine at the bar when bro Tom is working.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch, lunch or dinnerMadMaddyVIPDined on 5/18/2014Chilaquiles are outstanding, their toast with mushrooms, to die for. Everything is mouth watering. I keep going back all the time.Special Features:
- Great food and dining experienceHarlessDined on 5/16/2014Wife and I truly enjoyed our first date night out in years while Grandma watched the kid. I wanted it to be special and I was not disappointed in the staff, food or overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative locavore diningOaklandJimDined on 5/15/2014My wife, a Paso Robles native, brought me here on May 15 for a memorable experience. She had 6 oysters locally sourced and very fresh. We both raved about the abalone/avocado gazpacho and would make a special trip back for that dish alone. Main entree was a lamb over pasta, again from a small local farm and totally delicious! The dessert, enough for sharing, was a strawberry shortcake with a dollop of basic ice cream. Best strawberries I've had this year. Only the coffee was disappointing. The excellent server said the restaurant had just changed brands, but it seems like another change is in order. We had eaten the night before at Il Cortile, and this was just as good.Special Features:
- FrancetteDined on 5/15/2014We are never disappointed in the dining experience at Artisan. It is our go-to spot when driving South.Special Features:
- Artisan is the best hands downFoodieFreakDined on 5/13/2014The only reason to try anything else in downtown Paso is if Artisan is booked full for the night. The menu changes frequently to keep up with food and season changes, always surprising me. I would sell my first born for a lifetime of Artisan meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKCFoodiesVIPDined on 5/12/2014We had an enjoyable experience at Artisan. We chose this restaurant based on reviews and posted menus. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding by Allison who was very knowledgeable and pleasant. After dinner we decided to go into the bar for an after dinner drink and the drinks were pleased by the service and attentiveness in the bar also.Special Features:
- DisappointingMitchDined on 5/11/2014Given the prices of the meals I was expecting great things but overall had a very mediocre experience. Certainly not worth the price and not sure that I would return even if the prices were more reasonable. Our server seemed awkward and the food was unimpressive.
- Good but not greatRedAppleDined on 5/11/2014Arrive for Mother's Day Brunch and was promptly seated. Moderately busy. Timing of drink order, food order, drink arrival, food arrival was off and did not synch. We ordered 2 Bloody Mary's, one spicy, one not. When they arrived, they did not know which was which and had to take them back to the bar to check. 2 of the three entrees arrived and waited another 3-5 minutes for the 3rd entree. Dessert wait time was longer than necessary. Overall, food was great, service was slow. Restaurant seemed under staffed. The previous location had something about it that is lacking in the new location. The new location seems stark and not as warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Great SpotArtisanPasoVIPDined on 5/10/2014Everything was spot-on! Seated on time, very diverse menu options, very good service throughout the meal. Most people had mentioned this as a great spot in Paso - was not disappointed in any way! Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the new location!KsmoVIPDined on 5/9/2014The service & food have always been good and now with the new larger location the experience is more enjoyable.Special Features:
- jmn1Dined on 5/3/2014Exceptional food and wine! Service was outstanding! Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisan for DinnerAmySanMiguelDined on 5/2/2014The food at Artisan is outstanding. The choices are incredible, well balanced and always imaginative. I love to cook, generally prepare three meals at home daily, eating few meals out. Artisan is always a treat. I've never been disappointed with anything I've ordered. The staff is attentive, professional and friendly. I'd have a hard time finding fault with anything at Artisan. This is by far my most favorite restaurant, my first recommendation to anyone visiting Paso Robles. The only problem, deciding what to order!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedEngineeringirlDined on 4/28/2014We arrived on time for our reservation after a day of wine tasting. Our server asked us for our drink order & since we had been drinking wine all day, my husband ordered tea. I commented jovially saying that I was saving room for dessert. Our server replied "oh so its drinks or dessert, not both?". It was clear that she felt she wouldn't be able to up-sell us on drinks, so she basically ignored us for the rest of the meal. After we placed our order, I overheard other servers reciting the specials. Our server hadn't mentioned specials. To top things off, our server gave our bill to the table next to us, who's bill was much more than ours. The server commented regarding the difference in price. Artisan is snooty & I would not revisit.Special Features:
- Not for usAndreaVIPDined on 4/26/2014Haven't been here for a few years but since relocating and reorganizing (one of the owners left), we decided to give it another try. The restaurant itself is an improvement over the last. The ambience is pleasant. The menu remains on where you need to be able to appreciate the more eclectic and trendy foods. My husband had the pizza with burrata and fennel. It was quite tasty and he enjoyed it. I ordered off the menu and got quinoa with veggies as recommended by our waitress. It was oily and salty. I did eat some of it with about a quart do water. Our waitress was very nice and sent us packing with free desserts to enjoy afterwards. Nice touch which was appreciated by we won't go back
- Excellent food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/25/2014We were impressed with our food, which was both innovative and delicious as usual, and also with our server, who was remarkably attentive. She even did a great job keeping our wine glasses full, which for me and my husband, means frequent swings by the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boarsmurray52Dined on 4/25/2014I had the boar dish which was very yummy. I took a group of 4, 3 were from Florida and everyone enjoyed their meal.
- Amazingly goodnodoubtDined on 4/23/2014My wife and I looked at each other part way through our meal and we both said the same thing, "every bite is amazing". We've eaten here a number of times, and the food is always so good that you can't believe it. This restaurant would be at the top of our list anyplace in the world. I know it's won some awards in the foodie magazines, and whatever good has been said about it, they truly deserve. I'm trying different items on the menu each time we go; this time i had a venison dish that's similar to what I ordered occasionally in Europe, and as wonderful as that was, I think this was better.Special Features:
- Outstanding service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2014We had a great evening at Artisan. We started at the bar and followed the recommendations from our bartender to get a cocktail and a great white wine. Our waitress was excellent, recommending several items on the menu and tying in some great wines. We started with the appetizer special, a delicious gumbo, then my wife had the halibut and I had the steak. Both were outstanding. The wine list is a nice selection of reasonably priced local wines (including some we bought earlier in the day). An extremely nice touch was when the manager, Timothy, came by and checked on us. We had a great time talking and he came back several times to make sure everything was going well. All-in-all, we had a great evening and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dinner in PasoBrutus70VIPDined on 4/17/2014Artisan had moved to a new location since we were last there. The new location, on the "square" in Paso Robles, is really lovely. The room is a little quieter than the old place and quite a bit roomier. The food did not suffer from the move. The menu is innovative, creative, and uses many locally grown and produced items. The service is attentive but not obtrusive. Our server was friendly and helpful. We are glad we made a return visit to this outstanding local restaurant and will definitely return the next time we are in Paso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesgunneeDined on 4/17/2014The Artisan is one of our favorite lunch places when we are traveling through Paso Robles. The menu always has interesting selections and the food is tasty and well presented. It is a great place to eat for unique healthy selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, LocalcindywoodDined on 4/15/2014Wonderfully creative selections of local bounty - agricultural and pastoral. Artfully presented, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/15/2014We arrived for a late lunch, and the staff was attentive and didn't rush us at all even though lunch service was ending. Loved the turkey b.l.t.a sandwich!Special Features:
- Very Good RestaurantGregDined on 4/10/2014We did small plates of: * goat cheese & firestone ale fondue, garlic toast, broccolini, kielbasa * meatballs, ricotta gnocchi, piave, guanciale sauce * abalone ramen, buckwheat soba, quail egg, pork broth * garden greens, beets, chevre, walnuts, honey mustard The fondue was a tasty surprise as were the rest of the entrees. A great selection of unique flavors and ingredients. We finished off with the strawberry shortcake, blueberries, sweet biscuit, basil ice cream and a pb&j sundae, caramel, banana, peanut butter chip gelato. The shortcake was good, but needed more juice. The pb&j sundae was very good. The check was $140 including 3 premium drinks. We'll definitely be back to try some more of their very unique menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Paso-ing thru!HmmmmnVIPDined on 4/10/2014First time at the new location. Food is great as always. Didn't like the room. Super boring design and REALLyY loud. Why bother moving and not do an open kitchen or something better. Wine list is too expensive bring your own from tasting and pay the corkage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placerdhernandezDined on 4/10/2014Fresh fresh fresh delicious. Save room for dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodWineLVRDined on 4/9/2014We did small plates versus the entrée meal. The fondue and BBQ pizza very excellent, but the desserts were even better. The chocolate orange budino and pb&j sundae were unbelievably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/6/2014Very good food. Fresh and creative. Small plates are excellent. Nice wine list and very reasonable wine flights that are above average wine. Great service. Next time I'm in town definitely going back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunchemg23Dined on 4/6/2014As always, my experience at Artisan was wonderful. It was my first time having brunch, but I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed the short rib and hash. I recommend the first date if you're looking for a bubbly drink to go with your brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but so loudOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2014Excellent food but so loud it was hard to have a bood time.I would recommend this to a friend.