Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay
1710 W Mission Bay Drive
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedana.com/
- Phone: 6192252125
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 3:30pm - 9pm Fri & Sat 3:30pm - 10pm Cocktails: Sunday - Thursday 3:30pm - 10pm Fri & Sat 3:30pm - 11pm Happy Hour: Everyday 3:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Manuel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Ande Cogsdill 619-225-2125
A word from Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay
With a contemporary atmosphere and innovative cuisine unique to the California region, Firefly is the perfect destination for a relaxing meal or an end-of-the-day cocktail. Beautiful views of Mission Bay and Sea World's summer fireworks are available from all outdoor and most indoor tables. An excellent choice for a group or a romantic evening for two. Chef Eric Manuel, a San Diego native, creatively presents the area's best seasonal, local ingredients in a modern style that is sure to please a variety of tastes. Many items are designed to be shared. We offer many wines by the glass, wine and local micro brew tasting flights, and happy hour everyday from 3:30pm - 5:30pm. Visiting us reminds you why it’s so good to be in San Diego. We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (4)romantic (3)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- The waitress was not veryOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/9/2011The waitress was not very nice. I would not go back. One and done! But, the food was good.
- I believe the ambiance wouldBullheadedfoodieDined on 2/25/2011I believe the ambiance would be better for a lunch as the pool and water is lovely. The food was average. The waitress was superb.Special Features:
- The food was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2011The food was excellent. The ambiance is a bit of a mix- a rather small place with a bar and TVs at one side, group dining in the middle, and dimly lit tables for two on the other. It was a bit difficult to find within the hotel at night; recommend asking at the Lobby.
- Service seated guests more quickly.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2011We were seated, menus were distributed, yet waited a good ten minutes before beverages were offered; a glaring oversight by someone. My guests even remarked that diners who were seated well after us already had their drinks, and we hadn't seen anyone! We were engaged in conversation, yet the utter lack of attention - no water, no bread, nothing but menus for at LEAST ten minutes - stifled, suppressed our enjoyment of the moment. The Firefly hostess/seating staff should be made aware of this: once your patrons sit down, they expect SOME degree of "fawning," there's no excuse for neglect. My 5-Star rating is based upon our server, Sioban, because when she arrived the attention to detail became magnificent!Special Features:
- Portions were small, but itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/21/2011Portions were small, but it was restaurant week, so it was not too expensive. No separation between the dining room and the bar, where sports were being broadcast. Not very romantic or soothing an atmosphere. The experience was OK. We might come back for the happy hour prices in the summer months to sit on the patio.
- Very nice. Enjoyed the place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2011Very nice. Enjoyed the place. Seems like it would be fun for happy hour, particulary if it was still light out...Special Features:
- Great little spot in MissionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/14/2011Great little spot in Mission Bay. Excellent for a hotel restaurant. It is smaller inside than picture on the website shows, but they have plenty of outdoor seating. Food was really good. Caution with the Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich: the bread leaves something to be desired, but the rest of it is excellent and the French fries are outstanding. Definitely recommend the Fried Brussel Sprouts as an appetizer.Special Features:
- Food was top notch. The decorOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2010Food was top notch. The decor and ambiance of the place the place was a little lacking but the food more than made up for it.
- The filet mignon was fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/18/2010The filet mignon was fantastic as were the gorgonzola potatoes. They let you do half-glasses of wine to create your own wine flight so you can taste some new varieties. The green beans were cooked to perfection too, but the calamari was a bit chewy for my liking.Special Features:
- While the food and drink wasScottEVIPDined on 12/2/2010While the food and drink was tasty, this restaurant has zero atmosphere. The design could be hip, except the lights are far too bright (so it's not romantic, it's harsh), and there's no real view despite the large windows. When I went, there was nobody else in the restaurant, which also made the ambiance very weird. Overall, the food and drink is good, but not exceptional. Combined with the weird atmosphere, it's just not the place for me.
- I think the best way to describeCoachSDined on 11/25/2010I think the best way to describe our experience was "OK". Nothing spectacular but nothing horrendously wrong either.It simply wasn't notable.Special Features:
- I regret having ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2010I regret having Thanksgiving dinner at Firefly. Such microscopic portions! On Thanksgiving? What are they thinking? 6 cranberries on my plate, for 30 bucks they couldn't spare a 7th cranberry? For $30 prix fixe you get salad OR soup - not both - no bread, no coffee, not even a glass of champagne. Thanksgiving should be a feast. A person should leave the Thanksgiving table full and happy. I left hungry (even after having a calamari appetizer at extra cost) and irritated. The music was really annoying. If they had asked whether everything was all right, I would have told them, and not dumped on them here. The only positive things I can say are that the food was tasty, the waitress was friendly and pretty, and the ‘Breeze’ cocktail was good.Special Features:
- This was a really amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2010This was a really amazing restaurant. The food was delicious and the service was the best I have ever had. I will definitely be here again!Special Features:
- The food was amazing, particularlyIgettheheatDined on 10/15/2010The food was amazing, particularly the salads and the fried brussells sprouts. I tasted 2 appetizers, 2 salads and 3 entrees, and all were very, very good. The Red Velvet cupcake was a miss, though. Dry and stale. They took it off our bill when we commented on it.Special Features:
- Right next to pool at TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2010Right next to pool at The Dana at Mission Bay hotel. Great place to stay, great food, nice wait staff. Would go again.Special Features:
- The salads are outstanding.BobKDined on 10/8/2010The salads are outstanding. The entrees were delicious. Service was very good. We sat inside at a very nice table, but the noise level was high enough to distract from the mood.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful time. OurStanDined on 8/7/2010We had a wonderful time. Our only negative comment was a bit noisy for our tastes but the food and service made up for this. I ordered salmon done rare and it was done to perfection.
- Food was very good, althoughfbgdiningVIPDined on 7/24/2010Food was very good, although there was a special event next door and parking was non-exisitent or distant. Not much of a view from inside the restaurant...must be outside for a view.Special Features:
- Less than average food. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/24/2010Less than average food. Great view and location. Good service, but not good enough to make up for the poor quality of the food,Special Features:
- We ate here the first nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2010We ate here the first night we arrived. It was late and we were tired after traveling all day. We had a reservation for 8:30 p.m. and arrived at 8:00 p.m. We had to wait at the bar for about 15 minutes before being seated, but got a very nice table for 2 overlooking the pool. Food was good, prices were good. A little too noisy for us. It would have been more quiet outside, but it was VERY cold in San Diego the week we visited (if you can believe that!) Everyone was seated inside.Special Features:
- We are locals who enjoy diningsdfoodieDined on 7/14/2010We are locals who enjoy dining at Firefly, finding the food to be very fresh, attractively served and well priced. And we love the setting on the bay! On our last visit two things disappointed me, and both seemed to come under the umbrella of cost cutting. The first is that the restaurant apparently no longer serves bread! Seriously??? I would suggest they rather add 50 cents to their (very reasonable) prices and serve bread! People don't want to drink a cocktail or pre-dinner glass of wine on an empty stomach. The other thing I noticed was that portion size seems to have shrunk. How much more can it possibly cost to offer a decent amount of parsnip puree and other accompaniments with the rockfish entree? We left a little hungry!Special Features:
- Lovely views, interestingdiningdivaVIPDined on 6/8/2010Lovely views, interesting menu, varied and very good.Special Features:
- We had reservations and stillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2010We had reservations and still had to wait 20 min. Due to several graduation parties it was noisy. The food was excellent. The menu choices were very limited. The wine list was good (prices reasonable). The view was nice. We called ahead to let them know we were celebrating a birthday. They brought a flourless chocolate cake and ice cream for the birthday boy, which was delicious. All in all it was a nice, memorable dinner.Special Features:
- A potentially AWESOME location...grSnowTRDined on 5/13/2010A potentially AWESOME location...great spot for outdoor dining at night to watch the Sea World fireworks. Could use a decorator's touch to make a little more intimate & comfy. The interior space looks disappointing however...very stark & bad lighting. The food was EXCELLENT. The service was good, but not GREAT. The menu, quality of food, and location all are the right ingredients to make this a hot spot, but needs a little fine tuning.Special Features:
- This was our first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2010This was our first visit and it was a wonderful experience. The restaurant is not very large so the noise level was not an issue as it is in other places. We had the chance to sit either outside or inside so there was plenty of seating of our choice. We were there for brunch and your omelets were the largest we have ever seen at any brunch location. Your layout of food was great with a nice selection of seafood. Perhaps more choices in sushi.The only hiccup was the supply of clean plates for the next visit seemed to run out with a delay in getting a new stack out to the buffet line.Otherwise, very nice. We will be back.Special Features:
- We went for Mother's Day brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2010We went for Mother's Day brunch. It's a beautful spot. The brunch was fine - not a ton of variety, but all of it tasted great. Might be a fun place to try for the regular menu.Special Features:
- Food was just OK. Servicemsk6261VIPDined on 3/27/2010Food was just OK. Service was horrendous!! This should not have been a 2 hour meal. We were being told by the server and then the manager...."your food will be right here" but we were left hanging forever. No apology. No offer of compensation. Apps.....Calamari was chewy, Bruschetta was too cheesy and rich. Salad had no pecans as listed on the menu. Filet Mignon was cooked well but WAY too much sauce and very sloppy presentation. Choc. desert was overcooked (stuck to side of dish) and the ice cream was over-frozen ( hard to get a spoon into). All in all.....a bust in our opinion.
- There is a lot of potentialspossumVIPDined on 3/15/2010There is a lot of potential to Firefly. The food is good overall and a couple things were very good and nothing was "bad". A little more creativity and depth would elevate this from quite good hotel food to a good restaurant. There is already an emphasis on local product (produce, beer, wine) but it could go further. Considering that none of the food was "great", a bigger menu is a must. Service was pretty good. Warning - since this is attached to a hotel, the modern design lends itself to a bit of noise if kids are in the room. Beer flight is fun. Recommended if you have a coupon.Special Features:
- Services was lousy. The gardenmeeeeeeVIPDined on 3/1/2010Services was lousy. The garden salad needed ALOT of help. Maybe you should reconsider the staff you have.
- We went for restaurant weektr2020Dined on 1/21/2010We went for restaurant week and I have never heard of this place before! I must be pretty new? It has a full bar and is a small but wide open space for the dining room. It's pretty fantastic for what it is and I'm glad I found it. I will definitely be back here to enjoy some cocktails in the summer time on their big patio. The food was dynamic and delicious. Definitely had some new things here that I've never had before... Brandy ice cream and donuts?! Fantastic. I really enjoyed their strip steak dinner and the side of squash spaghetti. Check it out, it's a cool spot with a great environment and tucked away, a hidden gem!Special Features:
- The food was amazing and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/20/2010The food was amazing and the setting very intimate. I would definately eat here again.Special Features:
- service was a little slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2009service was a little slow, but most of our food was excellent, the lobster dish was server with a pasta that was a bit bland
- The indoor part of the restaurantmeiliDined on 12/3/2009The indoor part of the restaurant is incredibly small. We ordered two appetizers and two main dishes. Our waitress brought out our calamari and ceviche. The sauce for the calamari was really good, but the calamari itself was so so and I found it to be a bit on the mushy side. As for the ceviche, it was slightly more sour than I expected. I ordered the buttered poached lobster and the lobster had the perfect texture, but flavor wise, I'd give it a 5 on a 1-10 scale. The noodles it was sitting on were good though. As for the seabass en papilotte, it was brought out wrapped up in parchment paper. It was absolutely delicious. It gets a 10 out of 10 for flavor. The proportion seemed small, but it was definitely filling.
- We had a table at 7.45pm forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/26/2009We had a table at 7.45pm for the thanksgiving dinner buffet (party of 10). At 8.20pm!!!!! they started to clear the buffet. After we told them that we are not done yet, they stopped this for 10min and started then again. Also at 8.20pm they started to pick up tables and chairs and clean the room, which made an unbelievable noise and the ambiance was bad. The waitress also let us feel (45min after we arrived!!!) that we are not welcome anymore! It was the worst thanksgiving dinner we ever had. On top of all this they charged us the full price! My recommendation: don't reserve a table there.
- We went for their ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/26/2009We went for their Thanksgiving Buffet night and was disappointed that not all the food listed was there.. the flat bread was gone, there was no pumpkin pie, nor apple cobbler, the whipped cream was liquified, the roast beef was dry, the ratatouille was missing and there was hardly an salad left. I understand it is a serve yourself buffet but there was not enough staffing to monitor the food on the table.Special Features:
- Absolutely disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/26/2009Absolutely disappointing. We went for Thanksgiving, and the website advertised that it would be a nice, relaxing, buffet style dinner overlooking the bay at Firefly. When we showed up, it turns out that Firefly was just the name of the adjacent bar, and the buffet was set up inside the banquet hall of the hotel. The hotel, due to the holiday weekend, was occupied with family and children which added to the noise level. Kids were splashing around in the pool and doing cartwheels right outside the banquet hall during dinner. The food was also terrible. For $35 per person plus 18% gratuity added to the bill, I could've gotten a better deal and better food at Taco bell. All in all, a complete waste of money and a very unsatisfying meal.
- After arriving at the FireflyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/26/2009After arriving at the Firefly for our 6:00 reservations, we waited 1 1/2 before we were finally seated. No drink orders were taken, no table settings were in place, the restaurant ran out of certain foods and by the time we ate our food it was cold. I don't believe that the restaurant was well prepared for the multitude of people that attended their Thanksgiving dinner. It was very over-priced for what we got. We were really looking forward to an awesome dinner, but unfortunately left very disappointed.
- I never ever write reviews,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/26/2009I never ever write reviews, but this dining experience was so bad that I want to save any other innocents from my experience. The food was absolutely tasteless, the drinks were watery (and that was just the Arnold Palmers, we dare no try anything stronger). We actually saw them pouring the cold rolls out of the bag from the store. I'm sure that they automatically added the gratuity to the check for party of 3 because they were crass enough to believe we would mistakenly blame the waitress for the absolutely horrible experience. The only person to be commended is the marketing person for their cleverness in penning the description of the dining experience we expected to have.
- The dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2009The dining experience was great. The staff was great and hospitable. AMAZING FOOD!!!Special Features:
- The pan seared seabass wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2009The pan seared seabass was great, although i did not order it with the scallop crust.Special Features: