Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay
1710 W Mission Bay Drive
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedana.com/
- Phone: 6192252125
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 3:30pm - 9pm Fri & Sat 3:30pm - 10pm Cocktails: Sunday - Thursday 3:30pm - 10pm Fri & Sat 3:30pm - 11pm Happy Hour: Everyday 3:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Manuel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Ande Cogsdill 619-225-2125
A word from Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay
With a contemporary atmosphere and innovative cuisine unique to the California region, Firefly is the perfect destination for a relaxing meal or an end-of-the-day cocktail. Beautiful views of Mission Bay and Sea World's summer fireworks are available from all outdoor and most indoor tables. An excellent choice for a group or a romantic evening for two. Chef Eric Manuel, a San Diego native, creatively presents the area's best seasonal, local ingredients in a modern style that is sure to please a variety of tastes. Many items are designed to be shared. We offer many wines by the glass, wine and local micro brew tasting flights, and happy hour everyday from 3:30pm - 5:30pm. Visiting us reminds you why it’s so good to be in San Diego. We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (15)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (6)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)special occasion (4)neighborhood gem (3)romantic (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- FireflyNJP100Dined on 7/21/2013Excellent, friendly service. Food was outstanding. Great wine list as well. Tempted to have dessert which delicious and not too much or too sweet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeaBass and vegetables!chansonDined on 7/15/2013Great SeaBass and vegetables! Seared crunchy on top and a great flavor. Prepared very well. Kudos to chef.Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceSitdowncomedyVIPDined on 7/8/2013Food was fair, at best. Service amateurish and no ambiance.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2013Our service was great, and the food - even better! We are from Colorado and will make our way back I'm sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place...try theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2013Love this place...try the Brussel Sprouts with ranch dressing! ...awesome! And the salmon is awesome.Special Features:
- This was a nice surprise.SantaDined on 6/18/2013This was a nice surprise. This place is very small on the inside, if you're going you need to sit outside to enjoy it. Inside its mostly a bar with about 10 tables, with much more room outside with heaters and some "fire tables". Dont let "bar" scare you, great menu, service was very good, food was also very good with generous portions... I didnt get any of the main dishes but ordered several appetizers and could not finish (thats saying something). Gorganzola Au Gratin was excellent!Special Features:
- Pool Side Lunch DiningCuisine4meDined on 5/24/2013Dinner at the Firefly was absolutely EXCELLENT !!!! LUNCH POOLSIDE.....NOT SO MUCH. Food served in "boxes"???? Please use paper plates or at least the plastic covered food size containers which would hold a decent sized salad. Lunch food quality and presentation needs to be improved. This is a five star restaurant "if" the lunch menu and presentation can be upgraded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great locationDebraVIPDined on 5/21/2013We had very nice dinner my sea bass was excellent would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great resort restaurantPortiaVIPDined on 5/18/2013Often the restaurant at a hotel or resort relies on its captive guests in order to slide with mediocre food or service. The Firefly has great food and a topnotch wait staff. Highly recommended for both brunch, lunch and dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Firefly experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013As we were staying at The Dana Hotel we ate on three separate occasions at the Firefly. Frankly, one was more than enough but there weren't many dining choices close by. Each time we were there we had to change our menu selection as they were out of several items. No Calamari available anytime we were there, their special Mother's Day brunch special - can't have that, steamed clams - nope, eggs - oh, we're out of eggs too! Really?? They did manage to come up with a brunch quiche for me which was mostly crust and very little filling. And the filling was dry and tasteless. The staff that we spoke with were nearly as frustrated as we were and the back of the house seemed not to care. Too bad as the hotel itself was wonderful!Special Features:
- Girls Weekend a SuccessKL13Dined on 5/11/2013Great service, amazing food, and fabulous ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodJazeDined on 5/4/2013My wife, daughter and I went to the Firefly on May 4, 2013 for our anniversary and had an amazing time! The food was incredible. Our server(sorry can't recall her name) was friendly , attentive and menu knowledgeable. I had the 8 oz. filet mignon and my wife had the sea bass and we both had the wild mushroom risotto. The food was expertly prepared and delivered in a timely manner. We had the creme brulee and the panna cotta for dessert and were both amazing. The prices were reasonable for the quality of the food. Our total bill including 3 drinks was $129! I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone staying in the Mission Bay/ Sea World area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay and eat at the DanaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2013The Fire Fly was outstanding. We planned to eat just one dinner there, but after trying it, we had all three dinners and lunches there! Excellent seafood choices (especially the sea bass) and excellent service. Especially enjoyed the cocktails by the outdoor firepits.Special Features:
- Service was good after theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Service was good after the waiterss remembered we we thier. My wife had Salmon which she said was good, The Osa Bocco I had was set on top of razzuto, I think, that was so pasty and sweet I could not eat it. The Calamari was tuff but tasty. My Tin Cup wine was exccelent and the Crem Brule was tasty if you like lavender.Special Features:
- This place has excellent food!!!musicmp2003Dined on 3/23/2013This place has excellent food!!! Its tucked away on the Dana Hotel property, so it feels more secluded and luxurious.Special Features:
- Good food. Too noisy though.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2013Good food. Too noisy though. Came for a romantic dinner but sports was on TV which made for a very noisy atmosphere. Small restaurant overlooking hotel pool.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/4/2013Before booking my reservation, I went to Yelp. Although I found a few negative comments about the service, I booked it because I had a coupon. To our surprise, It was delightful. Lisa, our server, was very attentive, and the suss chef Gil Manipon did a fantastic job in presentation and taste. The food was excellent! I'll definitely go back. MarciaSpecial Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/1/2013I had dinner at the Firefly on 3 consecutive evenings, as I was staying at The Dana hotel and didn't feel like going out. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of this restaurant, unlike many hotel restaurants. Highlights included the yellowtail crudo, scallops on cauliflower puree, and sea bass with mushroom and sundried tomato risotto. Everything was very well prepared and the service was excellent.
- Very small dining room. ManyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Very small dining room. Many of the tables are outside. The door was constantly open blowing in cold air. My wife ate with her coat on. Service was terrible. It was ten minutes before anybody came to our table. We ordered 5 course Valentine's meal. It took 20-30 min for first course and each additional course took forever. Food was pretty good but I will not return.
- The waitress brought my entreeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/30/2013The waitress brought my entree when I was slightly more than half finished with my salad, which was actually OK since the salad was very ordinary. I didn't see her again until she brought the glass of wine I had ordered at the same time I ordered my entree; by then I was almost finished with my dinner. The short ribs (with asparagus and polenta) were very good. I decided to skip dessert rather than be frustrated by the possibility of more poor service. Overall the food was OK considering a mediocre salad and a very good entree. Inattentive service will keep me from ever returing.
- Nice spot for a weekend brunchneuroprofMomDined on 1/21/2013Nice spot for a weekend brunch along Mission Bay. View of the pool area and adjacent marina is nice, not spectacular, but outdoor ambiance was quiet and relaxing, and it is a short walk (100 yd) to the waterfront pedestrian/bike path. Great affordable spot to dine with friends or family. The staff cheerfully accommodated our party of 4 adults and 2 young kids. Brunch fare was fine.Special Features:
- If you have more than 4 peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2012If you have more than 4 people in your party, be sure to tell them that you all want to sit at the same table. As ridiculous as that sounds, they tried to seat our group of 6 (with 2 kids) at two separate tables! We even had a reservation. Food was better than the average hotel food. Can't say much for the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Service and food was amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/8/2012Service and food was amazing. I requested to do something special since it was my husband's birthday. There was no candle or happy birthday though we ordered dessert. I am not asking for them to sing a birthday song. It can be small gesture, yet it was very important matter to me..Special Features:
- Our night at the FireFlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2012Food was outstanding...probably best Seafood chowder ever and the scallops were absolutely fantastic. Great wine selection by the glass and very reasonably priced. Outstanding quality and value.Special Features:
- I was visiting the Dana hotelOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2012I was visiting the Dana hotel for a birthday and it so happened this restaurant was 45 steps away from my room. (I CAN DRINK)!! I was immediately struck by how nice it was, and the view. I had reservations at 7:30, but I showed up a few minutes early and they had no problems seating us. I got the Kobe Beef burger (DELICIOUS) although I should have asked for medium-rare instead of medium. Cooked a little too well for me. Other than that it was delicious. My girlfriend got the Pan Roasted Salmon, she never usually finishes dinners but she ate the whole thing. I tried a bite and it was absolutely perfect! Made me a little jealous I did not get the same thing. The Margaritas were made perfect, and our server was nothing but friendly.Special Features:
- no place for an intimate dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012We wanted intimate it was too noisy inside, we were directed outside by the door the couple to be next to us seemed very unhappy so we asked to be seated farther away from the door and every open table was reserved for someone else, we were told. There was one table available, however the adjacent table had children that were running around the tables so We opted to come back in an hour hoping that it would be more suitable for an intimate dinner. We did not go back.Special Features:
- Nice outdoor kid friendly diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2012Overall I was pleased with Firefly. This palce is tucked away so it is very private. The food and wine were excellent. The service was a little slow especailly for a slow evening. Very kid friendly atmosphere with outdoor dining however it was very quiet. I would recommend this place to anyone to try.Special Features:
- Try it out-tasty treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2012Surprisingly good hotel restaurant! The service was great-Lyle made great recommendations. The food was very tasty and we enjoyed every mouthful. Perfect amount of food. We'd come back here again.Special Features:
- The food was amazing. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2012The food was amazing. We had the filet mignon and the sea bass with the chocolate tart for dessert. The server was kind and helpful. They do not seem to train the servers on the wine list, so we ended up guessing and trying a new wine. Turned out fine, as it was very good, but would be a suggestion for improvement. The only slight let down was the ambiance. The view was nice at sunset, but was hoping for a little more romantic setting than what Firefly provided being near the pool and just off the courtyard of the hotel. Overall, a pleasing experience.Special Features:
- Great food and even thoughSteveVIPDined on 9/7/2012Great food and even though there was a private event going on outside we had great service. the French onion soup is not over salty- Yeah!Special Features:
- Amazing food.AmberDined on 9/7/2012The ambiance was a little lacking because it was right next to the pool, but the food was really amazing and the service was great too. If you want an amazing dinner go here. I recommend the sea bass and the filet. They were to die for. MSpecial Features:
- We ate outside, which wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2012We ate outside, which was pleasant and notably quieter than indoors, where it can get quite noisy. The outdoor tables were small and seemed intended more for drinks than food. There were no indications of outdoor food service, such as salt and pepper, though it was provided when we asked for it. The food, salmon and filet mignon, was delicious, our server was very personable and the view across the bay is wonderful. We sat next to a small garden overflowing with herbs, and I was tempted to pick a little mint for my water glass. Too bad an Open Table coupon can't be used more than once in 30 days or we'd be back next week for a birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Great harbor restaurant, goOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2012Great harbor restaurant, go on a weekend and you'll likely get some free entertainment as wedding and other groups frequent the hotel. Goat cheese bruschetta was tasty and the filet minon has to be their best dish.Special Features:
- During our stay on MissionOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2012During our stay on Mission Beach, we ate at Firefly twice. The first night, we had Nadia who is a terrific waitress and I would recommend her anytime to anyone; the food was outstanding. The second time, we didn't get Nadia but it was still good, although the hostess that particular night was less than attentive and organized.
- A Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2012We went to Firefly at the Dana Mission Bay as a group of six on the last night of our vacation ... not really sure what to expect. The food was very good ... we had the brussels sprouts, calamari and bruschetta for appetizers. A couple of people had the Beef Short Rib, one had the Cheesesteak sandwich, one the Pork Shank, and another the Penne Bolognese. Then we shared some desserts. We were very pleased with our food. We also had good service ... and because there were a couple of birthdays in our group, our waitress sang a Frank Sinatra song "You Make Me Feel So Young" for us.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantLisa0219VIPDined on 8/13/2012We had a wonderful waitress, Nadia who was very busy that night but was able to be very attentive to our party of 6. We had a lovely meal and good dessert. They were short on one dessert but it worked out that 2 was enough. The ambiance was great. We watched the fireworks from our seats outside. Three of us went there again for drinks and dessert 2 days later.Special Features:
- great place to eat after aOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2012great place to eat after a busy day.stayed at the dana .Special Features:
- The only difficulty mightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012The only difficulty might be that it is quite small so a really large group might have trouble sqeezing in. The prices are on the higher side, but well worth it!Special Features:
- Nice getaway dining experienceDinerdelightVIPDined on 7/1/2012the food was tasty and would recommend the sea bass with risotto or the young hen w/ waffle was delicious. The best server ever amanda, she was great and super attentive. The scene was more like a 'vacation style' atmosphere so it was a nice evening. Very glad we didn't sit outside too cold! I didn't like their booths they were strange and they need to change on their website not for kids but it is ok? The manager came over to check on us, very positive and we thought that was a nice personal touch! Thank you for my birthday dessert!!Special Features:
- The Kobi burger I orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2012The Kobi burger I ordered was mushy and taste less/