1637 at York Harbor Inn
480 York Street
York Harbor, ME 03911Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
1637 at York Harbor Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.yorkharborinn.com/
- Phone: 8003433869
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Gerald Bonsey, CEC, AAC
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms, some with ocean views available. Accommodating parties of up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Casey Syvertsen 207363-5119x142
- Entertainment: Piano bar, calypso guitar/vocals and Jazz duo featuring Light Contemporary, Jazz, and Classics Wednesdays thru Saturdays.
A word from 1637 at York Harbor Inn
The York Harbor Inn’s recently renovated restaurant- “1637”, offers wonderful ocean view dining in a landmark historic inn. Upon entering the dining room, you are welcomed to the past, present and future in both atmosphere and culinary art. Our menu, featured in Food & Wine Magazine, emphasizes native seafood, creatively prepared and artfully presented, as well as casual, contemporary cuisine. Menu highlights include our gourmet Flatbreads made with our own smoked sausage or fresh lobster meat, Lobster Tempura, a Ploughman’s Platter featuring house cured meats and homemade sausage, a Raw Bar menu featuring fresh oysters, shrimp, and clams, Corn and Lobster Chowder and our locally famous Seafood Chowder, as well as the best in steaks and pasta dishes. Our ocean-view piano bar has entertainment many nights of the week and Sunday Brunch is served year round.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
1637 at York Harbor Inn - Best Restaurants in York Beach ›
1637 at York Harbor Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (37)special occasion (30)romantic (25)neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (11)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (7)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- It is a favorite spot forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013It is a favorite spot for us to design for a romantic evening... consistently find a great environment, hospitable servers, and magnificent views. Food is excellent and presented well.Special Features:
- it was a nice nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2013We watched the Atlantic ocean, which was a third of our peripheral view, go dark as the earth rotated our evening together away from the sun. The landscape merged into a dull hue of blackness outside as our table grew warmer and closer. It was a perfect correlation with our enjoyment, our worries disappearing and our memories endearing.Special Features:
- The food was disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2013The food was disappointing. Too much butter and garlic was used on the vegetables and in general. The Moules were small and dry and the Mariniere sauce had not been well prepared, it had chunks of canned tomatoes which did not blend into the liquid.
- Overall this restaurant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2013Overall this restaurant experience is very good. Nice ambiance, lovely setting, and food that most often exceeds expectations. We have had some uneven service -- sometimes a tad too casual -- but for the most part good. Occasionally an individual item on the menu will disappoint (smaller than expected portion, food served cold) but for the most part it keeps us coming back. Good variety to choose from -- fancy dining or casual night out.Special Features:
- Great Food with a ViewAllynDined on 3/1/2013It was far better than we remembered from previous visits years ago. We arrived in time to take advantage of the early bird specials. I had the Mussels Provençale and my wife had the Chicken Mediterranean. Both were wonderful. The wine list was very good and we had a South African Sauvignon Blanc which is rarely found in most restaurants. One thing I really liked is that the acoustic guitarist playing in the bar area was very good, and the volume was just right. We could actually carry on a conversation while listening to his music. Our server, Dannielle, was very good. She gave appropriately responsive service and She gave appropriately responsive service and was very pleasant. This is an anniversary we will remember fondly foSpecial Features:
- The broiled seafood here isOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013The broiled seafood here is absolutely second to none! The atmosphere both upstairs and down is charming as well.Special Features:
- Very nice steamed haddockziggyDined on 2/21/2013Very nice steamed haddock with veggies just the right amount of spices with a touch of anise flavor.Special Features:
- This is a great restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2013This is a great restaurant, I have been here several times now and have always had a great experience. My wife and I really enjoy there early bird offering.If you are in the York area it is worth giving them a try.Special Features:
- Busy night because of Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013Busy night because of Valentine's Day, so reservation was key. Requested a window seat when making Open Table reservation. Not really sure if that request would be honored, but we had a window seat. Service was warm and friendly from the moment we walked in thru the whole dinner. A rose for my lovely wife at the end of dinner was nice touch. Overall, a memorable date with my wife.Special Features:
- Good food and choice of menuziggyDined on 2/7/2013Good food and choice of menu , Indian Pudding shoud have been served warm but flavor was fine. Wonderful acustic guitar player to add to charm. Scenic window view of ocean.Special Features:
- Warm and relaxing with lotsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013Warm and relaxing with lots of regulars. My husband and I went for a "special occasion" dinner and really enjoyed the evening. I had 1/2 dozen oysters on the half shell with horseradish & lemon that were very good. My husbands "Wedge" salad was a cut above the norm serving "pepper roasted pecans" in place of the normal bacon, plus blue cheese, tomatoes and blue cheese dressing. My dinner arrived luke warm not hot and they offered to redo the dish but I kept it. At my request, the chef was kind enough to do a wine sauce on the Seafood Ravioli in place of the Mornay. Tender ravioli (spinach & cheese) and perfectly cooked scallops, shrimp and small chunks of lobster. My husband's Queen Steak was cooked just right and served with a masheSpecial Features:
- Seafood fra diavolo, thatluv2eatoutDined on 1/24/2013Seafood fra diavolo, that my husband had, was excellent! Haddock Genovese special that I had was good, but nothing special - not enough flavor, disappointing. Service was great - Bill was our waiter and he was attentive, allowing us to relax without waiting too long for each course.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2013Excellent food and service. Left a note on the reservation that we would be celebrating my husband's birthday and they had a delicious chocolate cake for us.Special Features:
- My wife and I went for a dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2013My wife and I went for a dinner without the kids...The staff was friendly and engaging. Our waiter was prompt , friendly and always there when you needed something . The food was outstanding, every part of our dinner from start to finish was perfect. I would highly recommmend this restaurant.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/23/2012We had a wonderful evening out on December 23rd. Wouldn't have changed a thing.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012Six of us enjoyed everything about our dining experience at 1637 at York Harbor Inn. We gathered to celebrate my daughter's 35th birthday. Everything was "perfect". Our waiter, the service, the ambiance, the food......a memorable evening. I/we would recommend the restaurant and plan on making my daughter's birthday celebration a tradition at York Harbor Inn. Thank you and Happy New Year. K. E. Gagne Beverly, MASpecial Features:
- Great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2012Great food! There were a few noisy people at the bar upstairs, but it was a very nice anyway. The food was just amazing! And the view of the ocean was pretty.Special Features:
- A great a la carte brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/16/2012A great a la carte brunch with many choices and wonderful flavors. The" Chowda's" were wonderful. The desserts delicious! It was a nice experience on a wintery day on the coast of Maine in a upscale summer community.Special Features:
- Disappointed, AgainfamilyDined on 12/14/2012Located in a great spot. Service and the food is never consistent, good one visit, terrible the next. Friday night my husband and I brought a couple new to the area to dinner in the upstairs restaurant. That was the last time we will be going to the upstairs restaurant. The price of the food is too high for what you get. The service is often bad. The servers should be trained for a higher scale restaurant. We have been "trying" the upstairs restaurant over and over for the last 4yrs. Sometimes great, usually disappointing!Special Features:
- We have been here a few timesPeterDined on 12/1/2012We have been here a few times before and experienced similar results as we had in the past. The ambiance is excellent, and the reason we come. A terrific place if you enjoy old historic buildings. The service was friendly and competent, but nothing truly exceptional. The wine list is uninspired. My wife ordered beef which was well prepared and very good. I had a special, chicken oscar, which was over cooked and lifeless. Truly disappointing especially for the price paid on this meal. $150 should by a better meal, and certainly would have if we had stayed in PortsmouthSpecial Features:
- Service was a little slowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2012Service was a little slow and oneperson in my group of four received the wrong dish. The food was very good and I would return again.
- Visit Maine once a year forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2012Visit Maine once a year for our anniversary ... always have dinner at the York Harbor Inn ... just a treat!Special Features:
- Terrific setting, great food,TheVansDined on 10/11/2012Terrific setting, great food, professional friendly service, wonderful place to go for our anniversary! Thank you!!Special Features:
- A staple of ours every yearOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2012A staple of ours every year when we visit Maine. Never was disappointed. Food, service, and views are great and keep us coming back.Special Features:
- My husband and I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2012My husband and I have been going to YHI for over four years now for our special occasions (birthdays, anniversaries, engagment). It is always amazing and on the weekends there is usually a wonderful guitarist playing in the bar area. Everything about York Harbor Inn 1637 is amazing!Special Features:
- Service was quick and courteous,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012Service was quick and courteous, everything from drinks, appetizer, entrees to dessert were brought in good time. Food - all seafood - was fresh and prepared with satisfying blends of flavor/spices and quantities of fish, shrimp, scallops, and lobster.Special Features:
- overall a very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2012overall a very disappointing evening for our anniversary and dinner with my granddaughter the restaurant was nothing as it appeared in advertising copy. our waiter couldn't hear us as we spoke, which made for an awkward evening. i would never return to this restaurant again. as far as category 2 above, NOTHING applies to this spot. as you can tell..... from the time i entered, it was downhill and very unpleasant.
- One of the best meals I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2012One of the best meals I have had in quite a while. Enjoyed every single bite, especially the lobster/corn chowder and the scallops. Would definitely go back if we lived about 6 states closer. :)Special Features:
- Been here many special aocasionswellfedbobDined on 9/29/2012Been here many special aocasions and have never been dissapointed. This experience adds to that. The food is supurb and the staff matches the food.Special Features:
- Brought friends for theirOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2012Brought friends for their first visit to YHI. They, in turn, plan to have a family gathering there in near future. Great.Special Features:
- We had a fabulous meal atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012We had a fabulous meal at the York Harbor Inn. The atmosphere was cozy, the food fantastic, great drinks,and our table was ready when we arrived. It could not have been a better Birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012The food was excellent but the service was so slow and the server so inattentive, our dining experience slowly became a nightmare. Our server seemed to completely forget about us, and it took almost an hour just to get our check and plates cleared after we finished our dinner. We would have stayed for dessert but refused to wait any longer.Special Features:
- The food was amazing. we wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2012The food was amazing. we would highly recommend this restaurant. The roasted garlic spread was a delicious starter and portions were more than plentiful.Special Features:
- We went to the 1637 on Saturday,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012We went to the 1637 on Saturday, 9/15 . A very busy restaurant and inn. Had dinner in the small dining room overlooking the harbor. Menu in dining room the same as the pub. A flurry of activity coming in and out of the pub. Service was slow. A large group of ladies came in who were very loud which I found distracting from our romantic dinner. We both started off with salads. The regular size was enormous while the petite size a very generous portion. We both had the seafood ravioli. The lobster, shrimp and scallops were cooked perfectly, the sauce flavorful and the spinach ravioli, sautéed spinach a cherry tomatoes completed the dish, however, the asparagus was overlooked and cold. Overall, we enjoyed our meal. Reservation a must!Special Features:
- I loved this place ! It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2012I loved this place ! It was a quiet "Old New England " Inn and dining room ,elegantly decorated and a gorgeous view of the ocean. The food was as artfully presented as it was created,flavorful and fresh !Special Features:
- Food and service were fantastic. WOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2012Food and service were fantastic. We loved it so much, we ate there the next night as wellSpecial Features:
- Our table was lovely, by theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2012Our table was lovely, by the window as I requested. Thoughtful waiter, lovely Proseco and the bartender took a wonderful photo for us. The polenta was fabulous as were our salads and dinners.
- We're seasonal residents inOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2012We're seasonal residents in York, and have been since the 80's, both upstairs and downstairs are great in their own way. We even come up from Boston during the winter, we love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, charming, good value.IBChowinVIPDined on 8/16/2012I was planning a quick get away and went to Open Table to see which restaurants were available in the area. York Harbor Inn had a good menu and review so I made my reservation for dinner and then I reserved a room. It's a nice old Inn, across from the harbor and everyone was friendly upon check in. The room was small but nice. The bar had a happy hour with free mini buffet. When we arrived for dinner we were seated right away. Nice view of the harbor. The waiter (Billy) was very good, he suggested a good wine with dinner. We both had duck and it was very good. They have a good wine list and they don't mark up the wines very much like some places do. The restaurant is a nice little place, quiet, clean, and gives good service.
- In a word, "terrible". ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2012In a word, "terrible". There was a special roast duck dish in honor of Julia Child's 100th. It was supposed to be cooked medium to med. rare. It looked and cut like shoe leather. Sent it back while my wife pecked at a chicken and pasta dish that was dried out. Second duck was cooked better but had no flavor and the orange sauce was tasteless. With the closing of "Blue Sky" at York Beach there aren't many good restaurants left. Dockside is OK, but could be better.