Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Ebbitt Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ebbitt.com/
- Phone: 2023474801x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am,
Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Late Night Dining: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00am - 1:00am,
Friday & Saturday: 12:00am - 2:00am
Closed Christmas Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Ferro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our events department at 202.552.5000.
- Special Events: 2nd Annual Brewhaha on Friday, August 22, 2014
20th Annual Oyster Riot: Nov 21 & 22, 2014
Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, Nov 27, 2014
Christmas Eve Dinner on Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014
New Year's Eve on Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014
A word from Old Ebbitt Grill
Established in 1856, Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest dining saloon in Washington, DC. Across from the White House, Old Ebbitt serves American Cuisine, and offers the largest selection of oysters in DC. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late-night dining, and Saturday and Sunday Brunch. Casual dining with service to locals and visitors alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Old Ebbitt Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Old Ebbitt Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
1387 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (493)neighborhood gem (492)special occasion (480)hot spot (400)vibrant bar scene (398)good for groups (397)fit for foodies (382)great for brunch (297)kid-friendly (231)romantic (202)late-night find (184)notable wine list (159)scenic view (57)great for outdoor dining (16)Show More
- ChchexplorerDined on 9/8/2014My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful meal. Great food and service. I would recommend an oyster tasting plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgesthoughtsVIPDined on 9/8/2014Extremely noisy but wonderful nevertheless. Menu was extensive, prices quite modest. Wait staff very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place to see and be seenBostonDinerDined on 9/8/2014When we arrived at Old Ebbitt people without reservations were lined up and being turned away in droves. The vegetable gratin was superb. I was underwhelmed by my crab cake. The service at both lunch and dinner was of the top order. The bread and butter were irresistible. They serve a lovely gruner veltliner by the glass. The food at lunch was notably better than at dinner which I think had something to do with the crowds. I would recommend a nice relaxing lunch and skip the dinner rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigMacDined on 9/8/2014Crab cakes were excellent, service was good and the ambience was very noisy. Difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Soggy fish and chipsFredDined on 9/8/2014Reservation was fine; service was acceptable. Oysters were good but over-priced, even for downtown DC. What is more to say? The fish was soggy? This is a problem at other restaurants in the Clyde's chain. The Old Ebbitt Grill is just not as special as it was at the old location.Special Features:
- Travelin' manforeveryoungDined on 9/7/2014Outstanding! Hamburgers to steak to fish. What ever your pleasure it can be satisfied here. Service was right on and the atmosphere is friendly. Be sure to make reservations. the Ebbitts Grill is a rean hot spot.Special Features:
- A Restaurant for Theatre nightHelenDined on 9/7/2014The food was delicious and the staff was prompt in seating us, taking our order, delivering the food while hot and being attentive to us during the whole time we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Ambiance and history were quite remarkable. The service, Derrick, was both knowledgeable and friendly. Must say the food was average. I do understand it is the bar that pays the bill, but the quality of the food, though plenty of it, could be better. Overall, a good experience. Glad we spent our 40th wedding anniversary at the Ebbitt.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Stuck in the back, would have wanted to be in the restaurant. It seemed like there were still open tables in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Just amazingAwesomeScottVIPDined on 9/7/2014this past weekend I was having brunch for the first time here and I have to say AMAZING from start to finish. Some of the freshest seafood, great home made bloody mary, omlettes so fluffy and light, service spot on. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Beautiful placeJBeeDined on 9/6/2014The food was affordable and the atmosphere was great. Very friendly servers and fast service. All meals are under $30 even the lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmm troutwhovianFettDined on 9/6/2014I got the parmesan trout and lobster bisque, both were exquisite. My man got crab artichoke dip and short ribs. He inhaled them they were so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicePeteDined on 9/6/2014Reserved this as part of a dinner and a show birthday evening and it was terrific. The server was really on top of everything, and had the awareness to sense we did or did not need any attention. The Parmesan Trout and the Crab Cakes meals were both delicious. Great bottle of wine was surprisingly affordable. We cannot wait for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy trying different restaurantsShawladyDined on 9/6/2014Great place to meet friends for drinks. Tried the lobster, so so soggy and mushy. Disappointed because I expected better from Clyde's. Instead of fries I asked for a baked potatoe which they do not have. I was offered mashed potatoes that were from a box!! Our waitress was good. It was nice to finally eat at the Old Ebbit Grill. Will not be back too many other wonderful restaurants in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service and Great FoodKarynk07Dined on 9/6/2014Old Ebbitt is always a favorite of our-- and our last visit didn't disappoint.Special Features:
- Fine DiningMSKJDined on 9/6/2014My wife and chose to have dinner here before going to see a play. Service, food, price were all excellent.Special Features:
- johnnyDined on 9/6/2014A must for any trip to Washington. Great for breakfast, brunch or lunch. Dark wood, booths, classic old school decor. Excellent service, good food, fair prices. A landmark in DC. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat placeEyecandyDined on 9/5/2014Enjoyed the Lobster tail, great pricing! The restaurant is pleasing to the eyes, always something to see and enjoy. Loud, but nice!Special Features:
- A+ Experience at Old Ebbitt GrillthirtyyearsinthecityDined on 9/5/2014I met up with some old friends at Old Ebbitt for lunch on a Friday. I had made a reservation so we were seated immediately. The restaurant was busy but not overly crowded. Service was very good. We were waited on right away and didn't wait long for our orders to be brought to the table. The waiter was attentive but not to the point of distraction. The food was very good. I had the OE Summer BLT. It was a large sandwich with delicious red, ripe tomatoes, plenty of bacon and a side order of fries. My friends had the salmon burger and the Reuben and they enjoyed both sandwiches. They were vacationing here from out-of-state and since it was their first visit to the area they really enjoyed lunching at the 'oldest saloon in DC'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayJocsonDined on 9/5/2014Waiter (darn, don't remember his name) was very friendly. and the food was great, especially the chocolate chip bread pudding. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!GNPAZDined on 9/4/2014Lived up to its reputation! Very good service and delicious food. Dont miss it while visiting DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NAMI ConferenceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014Dined here at the NAMI Conference in September after stopping for cocktails and seeing how fun it looked during a DC visit in July. Food and service were terrific. Since we were trying to catch up with friends who we hadn't seen in a year, I found it a bit noisy and wish it had some more intimate areas where the noise level was lower. Still, we'd go back during a future visit to DC!Special Features:
- Night OutCountryCoupleDined on 9/4/2014We live about 1 1/2 hours away. If we were closer we would be constant diners. As it is, we go to the theater as often as we find a show we want to see. Our evening is to use the valet parking, eat an always fantastic diner, walk to the theater, and then return from the theater for desert, pick up the car and drive home, very satiated after a wonderful evening. Our experience has always been excellent, from the time we check in at the front desk, to seating on time, a relaxing and enjoyable diner and always a great server. Can they read our minds? It seems when we are in need of something our server is there. She was above and beyond what we have grown to expect. Thanx for every thing Old Ebbitt Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- recommended highly for a reason!4out4dinnerDined on 9/4/2014Historic location and great food with a small neighborhood feel. Staff seemed happy to work there. Go to the back bar for fresh oysters and vodka on ice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbfoodiegoddessDined on 9/4/2014Great restaurant for food lovers. This is my go to restaurant when guests are in town. I also like to go here with colleagues from the office for a special occasion. Always a hit and the seafood is excellent. Sit at the bar and order a drink and the Orca platter to share, you cannot go wrong. Or a Maine lobster for lunch, mine was excellent. This place has it all great food, wonderful service and amazing ambiance. They treat open table customers really well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014A bit if history revived by the Clyde's folks. Great service. Loud. Food is better than average but not a foodie sceneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ebbitt BuzzbernardoUKDined on 9/3/2014A great location, great food and a real Washington "Buzz". If you are visiting DC do not miss this place for food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Consistent. Reliable.Roadwarrior67Dined on 9/3/2014We like to eat at Clyde's restaurants because we know we can reliably get decent food at a reasonable price. Wife and daughter eat vegetarian, and Clyde's folks accommodate OK. Atmosphere is always lively. This visit, before dinner crowd, service started good. But after 6:15 pm when the place got busy, wait staff were hard to find. A one-hour dinner stated into 1 1/2 hours. OK because we were not in a rush. We don't usually order cocktails. They were good.Special Features:
- A Wonderful placeGregDined on 9/3/2014The Old Ebbitt is a wonderful place. With four bars and abundant seating this is a great spot for locals and tourists. The staff are very fantastic. I highly recommend the OEG.Special Features:
- The foods not great? Says who?JerrybDined on 9/1/2014Went in recommendation & in both cases were told it's a great, famous venue but the food is so so...the food was excellent and so was the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014Our fussy child was soothed by our server who loaned us his phone to watch a movie. Great service!Special Features:
- Great place to eatFood62Dined on 8/31/2014I thought the food was excellent and the staff was friendly and genuine. I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Well-Priced Great for VisitorsFoodieFamilyDined on 8/31/2014Out of town guests, American and otherwise, always seem to appreciate being taken to Old Ebbitt for some well-prepared special fare and the oyster selection. This gathering was no exception. The place was packed with tourists getting their last taste of DC before heading home on Labor Day (at least that was due to an unscientific poll of others around us). Food was great-- service was amazing given how loud and crowded it was.Special Features:
- Since 1856 = all you need to knowG2G8RDined on 8/31/2014Delicious food experience. Personable and knowledgeable staff. Be sure to take in the setting; the original preserved bar and walk around and check out the other ones after/before dining too. Interior provides elegant options for a special occasion and experience. Preserved bar is worth asking about as is the test of time this restaurant has endured. Consider making reservations ahead of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd times a charmMikeVIPDined on 8/31/2014The seating was a little awkward for my wife and I, if we were in a booth it would've been a perfect experience. It was as I've always seen it, very busy so a booth was out of the question. Our server Bradford was the best we've had since moving to this area, to include the previous trips to old ebbits. We ordered entrees and we're stunned by their appearance and flavor for the cost. Definitely worth my hard earned dollars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinerNotTooPickyDinerDined on 8/31/2014Plan to go back. Great location and not too pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch At Old Ebbitt GrillPoloDined on 8/31/2014The food was excellent but the service was incredible, the place was pack but the waiter make you think that you are the only one there. Very friendly staff.Special Features:
- Simple and ElegantWillDined on 8/31/2014Stopped here for brunch on the Sunday before Labor Day and had a pleasant experience. The service was great and the food was delicious. I ordered the Eggs Chesapeake and my girlfriend had the softshell crab eggs benedict. Portion sizes were good and the restaurant seems to use simple ingredients in its dishes. If you are a foodie you probably would not enjoy this resataurant. The service was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met All Expectations, And Then SomeDarkDropperDined on 8/31/2014We had heard countless good things about this place so knew we had to check it out for brunch when we were visiting DC (wife and I). Without a doubt it met all our expectations. The food was spectacular (best corned beef hash I've had in a long time). The presentation was spot on, the service was fantastic, and the portions were sufficient. Would highly recommend visiting this place and would always consider a safe-bet of somewhere you can get a great meal and have a memorable dining experience.Special Features:
- Bustling place on Sunday for brunchLewy8Dined on 8/31/2014If you like it quiet, come early for brunch. From 11-12:30 on a Sunday it was quiet enough but by 1:00 it was roaring & everyone was hustling to serve. We sat at the bar & had excellent service & good conversations. We stayed after eating to finish a bottle of wine & people watch a little bit. We will go back next time we're in DC. I think their late night HH will be awesome.Special Features: