121 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hemenwaysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4013518570x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday-Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4013518570x
A word from Hemenway's
Located on the River in downtown Providence, Hemenway’s is Rhode Island’s premiere seafood address. Aspiring to bring you the freshest and highest quality fin-fish, shellfish and mollusks in the United States while delivering genuine hospitality in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Hemenway’s offers an award-winning wine list, customized private dining for up to 45 guests, seasonal al fresco dining and full menu service in the bar area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Hemenway's - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Hemenway's reviews from OpenTable diners
324 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (198)scenic view (147)fit for foodies (142)romantic (111)good for groups (81)notable wine list (77)neighborhood gem (69)great for lunch (62)great for outdoor dining (47)hot spot (44)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (19)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (14)Show More
- Fun and Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Hemenway's never disappoints. There is always a lot of energy. Tthe service and atmosphere are great and the food is always so fresh and well prepared. Our waiter Bill was terrific. His knowledge of the menu and timing were perfect. He knows how to make every patron feel like his most important customer. Cocktails and seafood platter at the bar were also terrific. Just wish the cocktail area was a little bigger. Sometimes hard to find a spot. This is one of our favorite spots for a great night out and for a special celebration.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Food and service are always top notch. Went on a Waterfire night that made the night just perfect.Special Features:
- Hemenways - excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014We arrrived on time for our reservation and opted to wait just a few minutes for a seat by the window, which over looks the canal in Providence. We had a front row view of the waterfire boats - loaded with wood and ready to light the fires which are just steps away. The food was outstanding, we had calamari with peppers and tuna appetizers, both cooked perfectly and very tasty. The lobster ravioli, pasta with seafood and scallops were terrific, the vibe at Hemenways is very upbeat but not too loud. Service was excellent too. I would go back in a heartbeat!I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BEST OYSTERS!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing choice of local oysters. Very flavorful! Waitress Louise shared her knowledge of food & local events with us. She was very gracious. Would go back in a Rhode Island minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedMrsFDined on 8/8/2014Hemenways - you cannot go wrong for seafood or steak. Certainly have enjoyed every meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food and servicelv2dineDined on 8/7/2014Dinning here was a a great experience. Definitely recommend to all.
- Perfect eveningStellaDined on 8/3/2014Super fresh seafood! Oysters were amazing, drinks were tasty and our server was very attentive and intuitive to our needs. Will definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatDRTCDined on 8/2/2014Must eat. I have been coming to providence for 18 years and this restaurant has always been great. Great food, great service, great memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed the Boatob3870Dined on 7/31/2014While the freshness of the seafood was evident, the manner in preperation and culinary vision was lacking. I would recommend it as an adequate choice but nothing more.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!TPSSDined on 7/26/2014Amazing food, savored every bite. Great variety of menu choices!Special Features:
- Loved it !OceanPearlDined on 7/26/2014The seafood hot app was excellent, though I prefer a chopped clam casino, the whole clam was a bit chewy. The fried clams were worth the wait. Perfect. Clearly, Hemenways is one of Providence's best.Special Features:
- FantasticSummerwindDined on 7/26/2014Great seafood and service. Was a perfect find for the night of the water fires.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A most pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We were a party of 3, and each chose a different entrée. All were very pleased with the choices, the food was great, the servings substantial, and the service very attentive. We had a "gluten-free" person, and were surprised at your "gluten-free" menu. The flourless chocolate cake was outstanding, as were the other 2 desserts. We will definitely return to Hemenway's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our all-time favoriteTonyMichaels23VIPDined on 7/25/2014Hemenway's was our all-time favorite seafood experience. Linguini with shrimp was delicious. Paella was off-the charts great. Ellie's stuffed shrimp was delectable.Special Features:
- ExcellentTrishmintyDined on 7/24/2014What a great find. My husband and I stopped in after Rhode Island best of party. We had already had too much food. We wanted a meal, or so we thought. After we ordered we realized we were not that hungry. Our waiter was excellent and wrapped our food to take home. The food was great even though we couldn't eat it. Excellent leftovers on Friday night when I didn't want to cook anyway. Great views of the river in downtown Providence. I Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/24/2014We had a superb time here, mostly due to our waiter, Cory. He made the evening. He paced the meal so we could enjoy our drinks, then our soup and salad, then the main course, without piling everything on top of each other. The food was very good. We splurged and shared a stuffed lobster...very rich! Such an enjoyable experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go if you have all night...........xxxxxDined on 7/21/2014We went on a Monday night. Sat outside, street view only. Slow Service.....Took 45 minutes by the time we got appetizers and they were crab cakes and oysters from the raw bar. Dinner took forever arrived at 9:45pm.... We had a 7:45 reservation and was finished dinner at 10:30 we did not order dessert. Eaten alive by mosquitoes. I wish the food was worth the wait.Special Features:
- Stellar AgainGoodnightout99VIPDined on 7/21/2014We greatly enjoyed Hemenways, the staff stepped up for our special occasion ( we had notified them in advance). It was a beautiful night, great seafood and remarkable service. We have been there dozens of times over the years and they still make it memorable and top shelf.Special Features:
- Tasty and sustainableYazOHDined on 7/21/2014Four of us had dinner at Hemenway's on Monday evening. Started with a selection of exquisitely fresh oysters and top neck clams steamed in white wine, Granny Smith apples, chorizo and herbs. The broth was so good I could have drunk it from the bowl, but settled for dunking my warm crusty bread in it instead, at our waitress's urging. Followed that with a cup of clam chowder thickened with cream rather than the usual flour. Followed that with succulent, sweet whole bellied clams and grilled artichokes. To top it off, all raw bar items were half price with an entree. Exceptional meal with wonderful service provided by a delightful serve named Nancy. Others had fresh fish & we're equally pleased. Next time I'm in Providence, I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!LovesWineVIPDined on 7/19/2014I had never been to Hemenway's, but it came highly recommended and it was a great experience! We went for a friend's birthday and it was a great place to go. The food was amazing and the wine and drink list was extensive. We went during Providence restaurant week and got a fantastic deal for our meals. I will be going back for sure.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/19/2014We love Hemenways. It's our go to place for a nice night out. Good is always delicious and service is always greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- williamgDined on 7/19/2014had a great meal went for my wife birthday very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!GeminiDined on 7/18/2014I took my girlfriend for restaurant week and it was amazing, we enjoyed ourselves a lot. Great oysters, a really good prix fixe menu, and a great wine and beer list. Our waitress was very attentive as well, and did a fantastic job.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Good food good service but can get food just as good and less expensive elsewhere. Not worth spending the money. Even restaurant week. Nothing AMAZING for which I would expect for the price.Special Features:
- Best of both worldsdanedyDined on 7/18/2014I recently dined at Hemenway's for lunch on a warm summer day. Sitting inside in the AC with a view of the river and the park felt like sitting outside without the heat or the noise. The food and drinks were wonderful and a great value on their lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outside dining too noisyTheaterdinerDined on 7/18/2014The outside dining was so noisy with traffic from the street that everyone was almost shouting to be heard. Would never eat outside here again!
- Taste EI8124usDined on 7/17/2014Food very tasty. Service very good. Environment very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experienceJenDDined on 7/17/2014My colleague and I were there for restaurant week, and the food was great--so was the service, right down to asking if I preferred a black napkin so I didn't leave with white lint on my black pants. The food came out quickly and was very flavorful. I highly recommend Hemenways for lunch and ask for a table with a view of the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014Key time pie is amazing, would go back just for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as always!AlanDined on 7/16/2014My partner and I went to Hemenway's for our 2 year anniversary since this was where we had our first date. They sat us by the large windows with an amazing view of the river next to the restaurant. We ordered off the restaurant week menu; I got the lobster bisque, seared salmon, and chocolate torte, while my partner got clam chowder, surf & turf, and key lime pie. It was all so amazing we cleaned our plates, even the whole 10oz steak! When we told our waitress about our special day, she brought over rose petals and 2 glasses of champagne on the house! She was very attentive and anything we asked for was brought over promptly. Amazing service, great food, and a wonderful night for us; Thank you for a wonderful anniversary Hemenway's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very much likedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/16/2014Great service and food delicious. Walked to our tour of Brown University from here.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceLisaDined on 7/13/2014I chose this restaurant to meet with friends to celebrate our boys graduating high school. The good and service was outstanding. The table was located near the front window which allowed us privacy. Overall a terrific experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Crab CakesGoBlueProvidenceDined on 7/13/2014By far the best crab cakes in the area. Extremely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Brown UniversityKm08Dined on 7/13/2014We celebrated my sons birthday and had a wonderful experience. The ambience is upscale but not overly formal. All bottles of wine are half off on Sundays. Parking is no problem as there is a garage next door or on street parking if you go for lunch, or valet parking for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Believe All The HypeBrownparent2014Dined on 7/12/2014I would not recommend this place if you are parent traveling with your college student and looking for an excellent meal in Providence, unless you wanted to be treated like a second class citizen. Where your April 2014 table request is not to be honored and the food order is only done half right. But Hemenway's the perfect place for a place where pushing bottles of wine seems to their top priority. The bottom line is while we don’t expect Hemenway’s to be anywhere close to the caliber of restaurants like those in Boston, New York or Newport. One would expect that considering Hemenway’s has the perfect location for foot traffic and is located in the state’s capital. One would hope the commitment to excellence would be their top priority.
- SLOW and BUSYGRAMMYBADined on 7/12/2014I booked the table for 6:45. I knew Waterfire began around 8:30. I thought that would be good timing. Instead we did not get finished until 9:30. Our waiter said that the kitchen was very busy. Food was good but not worth the wait.Special Features:
- Service is the keygjwlsDined on 7/12/2014We have dined at Hemenways several times, and always find the service to be wonderful.Special Features:
- Excellent EveningShamDined on 7/12/2014The excellence started at the door and continued throughout the evening. Our waitress was exceptional... Knowledge of menu, area attractions, choices support, perfection..... Meal was terrific from calamari, chowder, fish and ice cream!Special Features:
- 1st time dining in ProvidenceJupieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Great food and perfectly timed service with a wonderful view. Restaurant had extensive menu - we were seated right by the window overlooking the boating on the water.Special Features:
- Still a great choice for seafood!iluvnewengDined on 7/11/2014Fabulous food. This night the service was a tad slow or I would have given a 5 star recommendation. Unfortunately one large table near us was extremely loud, (no fault of the restaurant), which made conversation difficult. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.