121 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hemenwaysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4013518570x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Monday-Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call the restaurant for more information
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4013518570x
A word from Hemenway's
Located on the River in downtown Providence, Hemenway’s is Rhode Island’s premiere seafood address. Aspiring to bring you the freshest and highest quality fin-fish, shellfish and mollusks in the United States while delivering genuine hospitality in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Hemenway’s offers an award-winning wine list, customized private dining for up to 45 guests, seasonal al fresco dining and full menu service in the bar area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Hemenway's - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Hemenway's reviews from OpenTable diners
326 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (199)scenic view (148)fit for foodies (138)romantic (109)good for groups (80)notable wine list (78)neighborhood gem (68)great for lunch (60)great for outdoor dining (48)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (33)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (14)Show More
- Usually a better experienceKlunVIPDined on 9/6/2014Service was rushed. Fried clams were gooey. Chef's special was excellent. Usually a much nicer experience. I'll definitely go back as this is one of my favorite restaurants. Maybe just a bad night.Special Features:
- Too many good places to pic thisTexasFoodCriticDined on 9/5/2014Wait staff not attentive and food over cooked. For the prices - while not exorbitant but but not cheap - it was not worth the money. Shrimp and lobster if not frozen were very over cooked, tough, and rubbery. A medium rare steak was well done. And never once asked how our food was or if we wanted additional beverages. Used to be a favorite, and not at all indicative of their normal food and service. We won't be back - too many other good local choices.Special Features:
- Good decent seafood restaurantRobsantDined on 9/5/2014Went to Hemenway's on a friend's recommendation. Booked through the OpenTable app at 7:15 for an 8:00 pm reservation. The place was full when we arrived, and still were seated at 8:00, the time of our reservation. Table for two was a tad too small, as in many restaurants today. Service was excellent. Food was good, although not a culinary experience, but then again we were not in Paris. Hemenway's is a good decent restaurant, probably as good as they come in Providence. I will certainly return whenever I am in Providence.Special Features:
- not as good as the first timegitanoVIPDined on 9/5/2014Returned after an excellent first visit, but not quite the same. The paella was skimpy. The service was just ok. Felt rushed by the waiter, maybe because of lack of experience. Not a busy Friday night. A long way from Southborough, MA to fall beyond expectations. We like the ambience and décor. May return.Special Features:
- Service was way offptrtDined on 9/5/2014Heminway's has been my go to spot for businesses lunches for about 3 years. I'm usually there at least 4 times per month, and its typically quite reliable. Unfortunately at my last visit this week, our waiter, a tall gentleman in his 40, was noticeably gruff, and clearly not very happy with his job that day. Working on his time table and not ours, he would consistently approach our table and interrupt our conversations with no attempt to ease in or to gently get our attention. It was very intrusive to the business discussion and felt more like the service at a diner in Queens that an upscale restaurant anywhere. Disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Be Back AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014Our daughter is a student at Brown and Hemenway's has become a favorite stop during our visits. The fish is what the restaurant is known for, so that is what I order. During our most recent visit I had two types of raw oysters - - chosen with the advice of our waiter. Both were extremely fresh and flavorful. Speaking of our waiter, he was present without being overbearing and very knowledgeable. We were fortunate enough to have a table by the water and the views at night are lovely. We will be back again, I am sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014It was a very nice night out service was great and very helpful totally enjoyed the experience will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014Very busy Saturday night. Had to ask for bread. Food usually outstanding, but out guest had baked stuffed shrimp and thought they were dry.Special Features:
- Great food and superb service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Everything was excellent! We dined here for our 6th wedding anniversary and we could not have had a better time! It was nice of the restaurant to decorate our table with rose petals and offer us a complimentary champagne toast to start off our night! Jordan our waiter was excellent! We never had to ask for anything, he was always a step ahead! Our apps, dinner entrees and dessert were all excellent and very well portioned for the price! Their lobster bisque is always amazing and they have a great wine selection! I would definitely reccomend hemenways for a romantic night out or for a great meal with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, desserts, and raw barOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014We luncheoned here for daughters our 21st birthday. Great choice, as she is a culinary arts student and takes restaurant experiences with an eye (and stomach) for detail. She had lobster ravioli, which the waiter described as fresh pasta with a creamy, but light sauce. A+ description and flavor. Our appetizer was bacon-wrapped scallops. I asked for well-done bacon, but tender scallops. Another A+. My wife and daughter had creme brulee, and i had flour-less chocolate cake. The cake was free, 'cause it was her birthday. The cake was delicious, some whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, and a strawberry. Brulee surprise! 3 flavors, each delicious and cooked perfectly. The decor was a bit dark but tempered by the river view. 4/4 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every respect!!TJMCCDined on 8/29/2014My favorite restaurant so far during this visit to Providence! Food, service and atmosphere all top notch! Guaranteed you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- First time at Hemenway'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed our first visit to Hemenway's! Good atmosphere with great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place!MtayalaDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food! lovely place with view to the riverSpecial Features:
- always outstandingJ344Dined on 8/24/2014Been to all the so-called seafood specialty places and often disappointed, but never disappointed with Hemenway's - rarely can you say that everything is great like this. parking-service-preparation-quality-seafood-steak-dessert (creme brulee trio!)-coffees... Our go-to restaurant for special occasions, family groups, or just because.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a favorite of ProvidenceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Food and ambience were great! You won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special orders don't upset us...comehere2dineVIPDined on 8/24/2014I needed a special restaurant for a very special 80 th birthday celebration. The guest of honor needed a puréed meal. Heather at Hemenway's was so knowledgeable and helpful. She informed all the staff who served us what was needed and we had a wonderful and 'normal'dinner!!! Thank you so much to everyone at Hemenway's, especially Heather!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food but fair serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014This was our second visit to Hemenway's. The food was quite good; however, the service was not what it should have been. We had to constantly remind our server to bring items we requested including bread. We asked for separate checks (party of 4) which was forgotten about. I had the seafood pasta which was a large dish full of delicious seafood. My wife had fried scallops which she liked very much. We were disappointed with the lack of creativity from the bar when asked for a special martini. Not so sure I would rush back given the many other options in Providence.Special Features:
- Water Fire NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014A memorable visit to a vibrant restaurant with good food and wine,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HemenwaysdiningoutDined on 8/23/2014Bill, our server was very attentive. Loved rose petals on table! All apps and entrees were delicious! Great location for Waterfire!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutOldRoarWarriorDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely dinner before enjoying Providence's unique Waterfire. Very glad we had reservations. There was a long line at the door shortly after we arrived. The restaurant has a very high ceiling which makes the space feel much more voluminous, and helps mitigate the noise, too, I expect. The room feel larger than it is, but in a good way. The food was excellent. She had grilled swordfish and I opted for the seared tuna. It was served very rare, as requested. Danny, our waiter was terrific. A quick sense of humor to match his attentive service. And nice recommendations, too.Special Features:
- Thanks for a great experience DannyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014Food was awesome, but Hemmenways never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JuliaDined on 8/23/2014The salads were better than the hot dishes. We order two salads - one with crab, one with yellowfin tuna. We order two hot dishes - clams and linguine, and fried clams - both were way too salty.
- localguyVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a fantastic dinner of lobster and Caesar salad. Our server as very attentive. I wish we lived closer so we could return more often. When we are visiting the area we will definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Seafood DelightSCrawdaddySDined on 8/20/2014Great Seafood, Atmosphere. and Service. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous service and foodLeefoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014Our server Hollie was fantastic, very attentive but not overbearing. We had the seafood tower, 1/2 price on Mondays, all very fresh and tasty. One of the best restaurants in Providence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceNYCfoodie7Dined on 8/17/2014We celebrated my brother's 60th birthday on a recent Sunday afternoon. They provided a lovely private table that let our party have an intimate dining experience. My sister who was earliest to arrive and found out it was my brother's "special" birthday, and asked the management if they could provide a fabulous cake for dessert. The kitchen informed the maître D ' that all cakes had already been prepared for the day and we're not able to help with this request. The manager said he could send out to a nearby bakery and sent staff to get one. My sister was bowled over. The service and food were more than splendid. I keep going back because the restaurant accommodates your every wish to make your dining experience one to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must DoCaptainJim2Dined on 8/16/2014If you are in Providence you simply must eat at Hemenway's. The quality of the food was exceeded only by the quality of the service. If you're looking for a "special" night out go to Hemenway's. You won't be disappointed !!!!Special Features:
- Service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Had a great experience. Bill, our server was outstanding. Food was great. They timed it perfectly I between meals and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional from beginning to end!tuf2pleaseDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I went to Hemenway's on date night the other night. Our expectations were low as we have had a hard time finding good restaurants lately. What a pleasant surprise! From the time we walked in to the time we left, it was nothing but exceptional, exceptional service, exceptional drinks, exceptional appetizers, exceptional meals (the swordfish special was amazing) and exceptional deserts. The price was in line with what I would expect for this level of restaurant, but the difference was Hemenway's is well worth it! We now have a new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- KELLY IS THE BEST SERVER EVER!dube68Dined on 8/15/2014Had such a wonderful time celebrating my boss' birthday. Service was excellent and food was out of this world.Special Features:
- Fresh local seafood, good ambience.ninny13Dined on 8/13/2014This restaurant features locally harvested oysters and clams, but also offers a wide array of fish. I recommend the beet-marinated scallops. Nice wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for seafood in ProvidencebzgirlDined on 8/13/2014Great location and nice view of the river. Service attentive. Food is reliable and good...not over the top "gourmet" but really good fresh seafood. Dinner was a bit loud for me as I usually go at lunch. They respond when you have a concern (last time we noted the creme brulee didn't have a good consistency nor was it properly "bruleed"...this time...perfect. We were impressed they really listened. Calamari outstanding...oysters (raw and my favorite, Hemenway's style) are the reason we keep on going back. Worth the trip and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotWB31969Dined on 8/10/2014This is an all round restaurant. It can serve any occasion, and it has for me. We have been for a nice Saturday night, as well as a good Sunday afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ Dinner Spot for WaterfirenewbieDined on 8/9/2014Hemenway's is located at the end of Waterfire and next to Starry Night, so it was easy to go early and enjoy Waterfire before dinner. And parking is validated by Hemenway's, so I think I paid $3 for three hours of valet parking (not counting tip). The Menu was excellent and the food was superb. All in all, it was very easy to pull off a wonderful evening despite the huge crowds of people downtown.Special Features:
- A Great Dinner - Start to Finish!ninaslcpaDined on 8/9/2014Promptly seated at a window table for our 8:15 reservation on a Waterfire Saturday night! Special menu at $35 for a three-course meal was a nice addition to the regular menu. All four of us were impressed with the food quality, selection and presentation, as well as the fine service. Our meals were perfectly cooked and served at the appropriate temperature, paired with a couple of bottles of reasonably priced wine.Special Features:
- Fun and Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Hemenway's never disappoints. There is always a lot of energy. Tthe service and atmosphere are great and the food is always so fresh and well prepared. Our waiter Bill was terrific. His knowledge of the menu and timing were perfect. He knows how to make every patron feel like his most important customer. Cocktails and seafood platter at the bar were also terrific. Just wish the cocktail area was a little bigger. Sometimes hard to find a spot. This is one of our favorite spots for a great night out and for a special celebration.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Food and service are always top notch. Went on a Waterfire night that made the night just perfect.Special Features:
- Hemenways - excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014We arrrived on time for our reservation and opted to wait just a few minutes for a seat by the window, which over looks the canal in Providence. We had a front row view of the waterfire boats - loaded with wood and ready to light the fires which are just steps away. The food was outstanding, we had calamari with peppers and tuna appetizers, both cooked perfectly and very tasty. The lobster ravioli, pasta with seafood and scallops were terrific, the vibe at Hemenways is very upbeat but not too loud. Service was excellent too. I would go back in a heartbeat!I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BEST OYSTERS!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Amazing choice of local oysters. Very flavorful! Waitress Louise shared her knowledge of food & local events with us. She was very gracious. Would go back in a Rhode Island minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedMrsFDined on 8/8/2014Hemenways - you cannot go wrong for seafood or steak. Certainly have enjoyed every meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.