The Capital Grille - Providence
1 Union Station
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Providence
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 4015215600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Haist
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager.
A word from The Capital Grille - Providence
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of downtown Providence. Live entertainment available on Friday evenings from 7-11pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Providence - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
The Capital Grille - Providence reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)romantic (83)notable wine list (78)good for groups (64)fit for foodies (63)vibrant bar scene (41)great for outdoor dining (39)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (27)scenic view (21)late-night find (21)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Professional & PolishedLiddyDined on 4/20/2014Impeccable service. Elegant setting. Food expertly prepared. More traditional than contemporary preparations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragerondDined on 4/18/2014The steak was average, at best. Served broiled "au jus" it was more reminiscent of a roast beef presentation. Where's the "Grille" ! Additionally, for a 22oz Delmonico, it was quite thin, not suited for medium rare preparation. Lastly, the presentation 'rubs" which can be added to any steak is confusing. I asked myself why this is necessary; a good charcoal broiled steak needs nothing. Having had a steak prepared each way, the "rub gives it taste. The ordinary preparation is quite bland. Frankly, I scan make a comparable steak at home. Have been to a large number of high end steak houses, this ranks close to the bottom.
- Great Night OutluvaniteoutDined on 4/18/2014The service at Capital Grille is above and beyond! The food was excellent. It was the perfect night to celebrate our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistent Capital GrilleNJDadVIPDined on 4/16/2014The Capital Grille formula working well in Providence. Good people make all the difference. Great steak tartar app and great steaks and sides as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccableSouthcoastDined on 4/14/2014This restaurant is the best in class in the Providence/Southcoast area. Hands down. From hostess stand to busboy to waiter to runner, the staff training is consistent and excellent. The food is of the same quality.Special Features:
- Great night!Goodnightout99VIPDined on 4/12/2014The Capital Grill is a great spot for a Saturday night out. Top shelf food and service with an atmosphere that's going on in town. Always good for the dining room experience or in the bar area too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting too Big?! Disappointing.pulsieDined on 4/12/2014Capital Grille used to be our go to places for many special occasions over the past 15 years but THESE days visiting there doesn't seem so special AND the quality of the food seems to have diminished. The last two times we have been the creamed spinach was overly salted (and not very creamy) and additionally the steak wasn't the usual melt-in -your mouth cut we have gotten accustomed to. Not sure we'll go back...with those prices you EXPECT to walk away satisfied. Perhaps it's suffering from chain ownership's all to typical lack of attention to detail (Owned by the same group that owns the Olive Garden) or maybe it's just dumb luck ( the past couple visits...not sure but not sure I want to give them an opportunity for a "third strike".Special Features:
- A perfect eveningroeyDined on 4/12/2014My husband and I had a perfect evening celebrating our anniversary at Capital Grille. I had mentioned the anniversary on my reservation and we were greeted and wished a Happy Anniversary from everyone :the hostess, waiter, and the manager. There were rose petals on the table! Cocktails, wine and steaks were superb! My husband loved the Kona rubbed sirloin. Dessert was on the house. What a lovely evening!Special Features:
- A consistent go-to restaurant!DGfoodieDined on 4/10/2014Capital Grille is my go-to restaurant when I want a great meal. Always terrific service and quality meals. I like to sit at the bar, where Bobby or Paul are always personable and make you feel welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Dinner at the BarGreginRIVIPDined on 4/7/2014Great food, great wine and we were well taken care of by one of the best bar staffs in the business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal!Tscott03Dined on 4/5/2014It was our anniversary and the Capital Grille went above and beyond. Champagne toast, complimentary dessert, and Tom's service was the finest I've ever had. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner experienceRussellDined on 4/5/2014We felt special when they served a complimentary dessert to honor our 5th Anniversary.Special Features:
- Sat dinnerRickBDined on 4/5/2014Greeted warmly by vibrant staff and led to our table immediately after being given the option of getting a drink at the bar first. Excellent service all around. Food was even better! I requested the lamb rib chops cooked with the porcini/olivi oil rub and they accommodated my request to perfection. My only observation of less than perfection was the cherry reduction, which I did not think we well with the lamb. We always go the Capital Grille in either Boston or Providence but Boston was booked up for a last minute reservation for 2. No, I don't work there, but we always go to the Capital Grille for special occasions, and they never let us down!Special Features:
- Excellentka747Dined on 4/5/2014Excellent food and service. Calamari, crab, salmon, steaks and sides were all great! Everyone in our party loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Groups!ShirleyDined on 4/3/2014Our group of 6 went there on a Thursday evening. We were seated quickly. We received good advice from our waiter on menu items. Once we placed our orders the food came out quickly and very pleasing to the eye. But yet there was more - it tasted wonderful! The service was attentive but not intrusive. I highly recommend this location - which BTW is the original Capital Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food coma, but in a good wayGreekmom2005Dined on 4/2/2014My fiancé and I had dinner at The Capital Grille Providence to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. We had an amazing experience, starting with our waiter Ken. He knew the menu so well, and made excellent suggestions on both food and wine. The food could not have been prepared any better. Everything was delicious and the attention to detail was apparent. Ken was a top notch server- both knowledgeable and personable. It was a A+++ experience. We have already decided this would be our anniversary dinner every year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014We went to Capital Grill to celebrate my husbands birthday. Every aspect of the dinner was amazing. The food was phenomenal and we will definitely be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh what an experience!AntassDined on 3/27/2014My wife and I visited the Capital Grille to celebrate my birthday. We sat at the bar because we love the atmosphere though our table experiences have been good. The bartenders are so good, so attentive and helpful that our dining experience was guaranteed to be special. From the wonderful smoked salmon appetizer to the perfect Delmonico steak to the richly fulfilling desserts the quality of the food here is exceptional! Our particular thanks to Bobby and Paul for making this a great way to celebrate getting a year older!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent location, wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014Excellent location, wonderful food & amazing service. Convenient parking- easier than Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Dinner at CGJonPDined on 3/22/2014I will start with saying that if someone told me I had one meal left and I could eat it anywhere I wanted, it would probably be at the Capital Grille in Providence. So when I was thinking about meeting several friends to celebrate between Waterford, CT and Boston it had to be CG in Prov. Most of the party started with Stoli Dolis. Can't really go wrong there. For dinner the order of the night was steaks. The special sirloin had a Caribbean spice that both people who ordered thought was good but not great The kona rubbed Delmonico was awesome. On the other side, both of our party that ordered filet had to send it back as they were both cold. A first for me at CG. This is why the overall only rated a 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!VeryHappyDinerDined on 3/21/2014I wanted to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday with a very special surprise dinner. After reading the reviews of the Capitol Grille, and knowing how much my boyfriend loves his steak, I thought this might be the perfect place. I am absolutely delighted to say that I was right! From the excellent table, to the birthday card on the table for my boyfriend and the absolutely incredible attentive service from Tim the entire evening, the unbelievably delicious and perfectly cooked steaks, to the Happy Birthday dessert, this was truly an experience we will never forget. It's nearly a week later and we are still raving about it! I really hope he takes me there for MY birthday! All in all it was a perfectly fantastic evening. Bravo!Special Features:
- Excellent ServicePattiVIPDined on 3/16/2014The food as always is consistently good. But the reason that keeps us going back is the wonderful service with Eric. He is both knowledgeable and attentive - making our dining experience so enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual, a wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/15/2014As usual, a wonderful place to celebrate any occasion. They always make the effort to say Happy Birthday and present a special birthday dessert. It is expensive, but worth the money since the food is wonderful and the total experience makes a special daySpecial Features:
- An evening you can count onGreginRIVIPDined on 3/14/2014Well done as usual, great hostess staff upon entering the restaurant, great waiter, great food, great wine. What else do you need?Special Features:
- Girls nite outYummy1Dined on 3/14/20143 friends out before a show enjoyed great laughs , great food, and excellent. We were seated at the bar and when we were brought to our table it was decorated with rose petals. I never thought anything more when I made the reservation and said we Han a birthday in our party. To end everything we were presented with champagne and dessert! What a great touch to make you feel special. Thanks for going above and beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceBostonB79Dined on 3/14/2014I was really blown away by the outstanding service that I received at CG in Providence. The entire staff was attentive, personable and extremely professional. My group was celebrating a special occasion and all of the staff made a point to stop by the table and congratulate the celebrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timephyllisDined on 3/12/2014the evening dining here was great from a to z waiter was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing but amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Built for excellence , everything was just a dream form the moment you walk in thank you guys no matter how packed everyone gets treat like they are the only ones there.Special Features:
- Great serviceJoegDined on 3/4/2014Very attentive, and respectf of business conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the energy!LeeLeeVIPDined on 3/1/2014The last few Capital Grille locations I've visited have just been okay, but not Providence. It was wonderful! Loved the bar for a pre-dinner cocktail, had a wonderful server who had the chef turn a special entree into an appetizer for us and although some may say it was noisy, I loved the buzz and high energy of the room. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticReviewVIPDined on 2/14/2014As always, everything from the food to service was top rate!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was undercooked. SentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Steak was undercooked. Sent back...still undercooked. Did not feel like sending it back twice. Would not do that to the chef...Also, water glasses were never refilled and I had to ask for a refill of my drink. I think they need a refresher course in cooking/service. Definitely not going back.Special Features:
- valentine'svickiDined on 2/14/2014we had a very nice time- even on a busy night. Hostesses greeted us warmly- We had a wonderful table and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Bad choice for ValentinesHexboltDined on 2/14/2014Bad choice for Valentines Day. Overcrowded and overpriced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- steak was cooked incorrectlypalmtreeVIPDined on 2/14/2014steak was cooked incorrectly twice and was removed from billSpecial Features:
- Over rated and highly overOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Over rated and highly over priced. While this is a good solid restaurant they have pushed prices beyond the middle class. Dinner for two approached $200 without ordering over the top. Food is good. Ambience is clouded by their desire to fill every space w patrons. We'll go back perhaps every few years but not likely before.
- Was quite disappointed thatDCMIAPVDDined on 2/8/2014Was quite disappointed that despite making a reservation it still took 20 minutes to be seated. Once taken to our table, we had to awkwardly wait in the middle of other diners while the table was set. The service was fair, but much lower than my experiences at the locations in the DC area. The service is better at the Cheesecake Factory nearby. I asked for the fliet mignon to be prepared medium well and it was very well done. Overall, a dismal experience given the expense.
- You Can't Go WrongExChefDined on 2/8/2014The Capital Grille - Providence is our go-to great overall experience restaurant. The service is impeccable. Cocktails are perfectly prepared and served. Apps, soups, salads, steaks, fish and sides are all delicious and generously sized. Great wine list by the bottle and glass. Let them know ahead of time if this is a special occasion, B'day, Anniversary, etc. they'll do something extra to help you celebrate. Free parking too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OVER & ABOVEeatoutDined on 2/7/2014Capital Grille Providence has it all: great location, food, drinks, service & ambiance. The staff seems to be very personable & friendly. Everyone from the greeters, coat check, and waiters go out of their way to make sure you're satisfied. Wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinner at Capital Grilleigl2006Dined on 2/6/2014Always an enjoyable experience for a special celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.