116 E. 27th St.
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jazzstandard.net/
- Phone: 2125762232x
- Hours of Operation:
There are two shows every night of the week at 7:30pm and 9:30pm, with an additional show at 11:30pm on Friday and Saturdays. The doors open at 6:15pm, 9:00pm and 10:45pm. Seating is general admission. Reservations are honored up to 30 minutes prior to showtime.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Jean-Paul Bourgeois
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Room is available for parties up to 125 people.
- Private Party Contact: Malysa Volpicelli 2124477733x
- Entertainment: Cover charge runs $15.00 and up. Jazz Standard offers guests a wide variety of world class jazz complemented by Blue Smoke barbecue in an intimate room with great sightlines and sound.
A word from Jazz Standard
Jazz Standard offers guests a wide variety of world class jazz complemented by Blue Smoke barbecue in an intimate room with great sightlines and sound.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Jazz Standard - Best Restaurants in Gramercy / Flatiron ›
Jazz Standard reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (8)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (6)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Reserve your table ahead of timehappycoupleVIPDined on 7/20/2013Living in NYC, this was our third visit to this wonderful jazz club. I have found most Jazz clubs in NYC to be very small, with tables barely big enough. But the Jazz Standard is a pleasantly intimate environment without feeling like your neighbor is sitting in your lap. The club holds just over 100 people and every seat is within 25 feet of the band, many much closer. However, some tables have more direct views than others. I highly recommend reserving your table beforehand or you may be left with an obstructed view. I like sitting a little farther away (drums and horns can be loud!) and at the table that is slightly elevated. But the people sitting 2 feet away certainly looked content. Highly recommend the baby back ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreCemilDined on 7/19/2013Nice place, good service, but very average uninspired food. Nothing we ate was bad, but aging nothing was memorable. We took the dessert sampler (one of each) and that was equally uninspired. The bill was way too high for what we ate, making it a poor value for money. Will not be returning.
- Second Time Around......Still GreatKittyDined on 7/11/2013We had a fantastic experience, being it was our second trip to JS. The main reasons we pick the Jazz Standard/Blue Smoke is for the great jazz and great food and they are both well worth the trip. Also the stage can be seen from anywhere in the club and the Staff are very helpful and attentive. We will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food before the musicCasaLVIPDined on 7/7/2013The food is always so good; whether you choose the ribs or the veggie burger you'll be happy; the mint julep is great; and then we heard some wonderful music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Jazz Standard is primarilyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2013The Jazz Standard is primarily a music venue! Therefore "Question Number Two" does not offer the applicable answers! I highly recommend the Jazz Standard for the following reasons: The room has good acoustics. The room has been designed to give almost every table a sight line to the stage. The wait staff is sweet, and respectful of the fact that the crowd is there to listen to music.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfying Ribs and JazzLandofLakesVIPDined on 5/26/2013Quality reigns -- Food was a cut above and distinctive, service was attentive and unobtrusive and the live jazz filled the room, moved us to special time and place. It made for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Good food and great jazzcrackerjadeVIPDined on 5/26/2013Had a great time at Jazz Standard. Cover fee was 30$, which is quite standard for such a place. Had the chance to listen to an awesome trio. Food is not extremely elaborate but is flavorful and at a fair price. Service is attentive. Good wine list. Arrive at least 30 minutes before the time of your reservation if you want good seats! And dress casually!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- music and a happy bellyEggy22VIPDined on 5/17/2013can not go wrong in a place that you can get 2 of your senses to come to life in a harmonies way! sit back and enjoy a good dinner, drinks or appetizer along with an ear full of awesome tunes... weather its a blast from the past or the more current melodies, this place offers a full nite of entertainment!Special Features:
- Always amazed to get foodCasaLVIPDined on 5/12/2013Always amazed to get food this good in a jazz club.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venueFloFloVIPDined on 5/5/2013Excellent barbecue, outstanding jazz in great conditions what else ?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great jazz. Great foodFrederick1VIPDined on 5/4/2013I always bring friends here. Great place for a REAL NYC jazz experience. And the bar be que is the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Night OutKittyDined on 5/2/2013It was our first time there and we will definately come back again. The food, the staff and the Jazz were fantastic. I plan to recommend it to my friends as a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz Standard is about theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/1/2013Jazz Standard is about the music, really--but surprisingly decent food (BBQ and burgers especially), and more importantly, the service is consistently friendly and accommodating. The staff goes out of its way to make patrons happy and are quite efficient, given the fact that they have to work quietly and unobtrusively while a performance is going on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service is very good andJohnVIPDined on 4/20/2013The service is very good and the food is fine, but we went for the jazz, which was stellar.Special Features:
- Outstanding music & great foodCasaLVIPDined on 4/5/2013With Randy Weston performing it was a special occasion. The delicious food and excellent service in addition to the great concert made it an outstanding experience. And the non- meat choices are better than in most vegetarian restaurants.Special Features:
- If this were a Yelp review,explorereaterVIPDined on 3/15/2013If this were a Yelp review, it might be a bit more positive. Instead, as an OpenTable review more focused on food, I would not recommend it. It is a great spot for live jazz: the group we saw was quite good, and the atmosphere is decent although larger than most jazz spots. But the service is spotty - took forever for us to put in a dinner order, ordered drinks and one person was served theirs, while e other person had to wait 15 minutes for theirs to arrive, etc. But the trouble is the food: it's ordered from Blue Smoke upstairs, and its not very good. The macaroni and cheese tasted like a Velveeta concoction and had a metallic aftertaste, the fried chicken was incredibly dry. Go for the music, eat before/after elsewhere.
- Amazing food, amazing jazz,FloFloVIPDined on 3/4/2013Amazing food, amazing jazz, nice service and not that expensive... what else ?
- If you love jazz it anotherMarkyourwordsDined on 2/14/2013If you love jazz it another great NYC venue. We were delighted to be introduced to a Brazilian Jazz Group...Luciana Souza and Romero Lubambo. She has a magical voice and Romero is brilliant on that guitar. It was perfect for Valentine's day. The Standard has a fabulous monthly line-up. Check them out...Lots of fun....Special Features:
- Valentine's DayMrNatDined on 2/14/2013Valentine's Day with live music, great food, and the wife. What more can you expect. Make reservations for special occassions. The food at Jazz Standard is the same as The Blue Smoke located upstairs. The Standard will cost you an extra fee for the performance but Jazz is always worth it.Special Features:
- We were happy to get a Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013We were happy to get a Valentine's Day reservation for two via OpenTable, even though the Jazz Standard website was sold out(TicketWeb). The first table for two was under a vent that was blowing on my neck, so I asked to be moved and was told they were aware of the vent problem at that table. We finally moved and was only told afterwards that the vent was turned down, which ended up making the enclosed basement space increasingly warmer. We had to return my wife's Iceberg lettuce salad because the lettuce was yellow and way too much blue cheese dressing dumped over it. The salmon, shrimp, cornbread, and apple crisp salad dishes were delicious and well presented. The live music impeccable!Special Features:
- Actually all went well. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/11/2013Actually all went well. The food wasn't great but it was OK and that was no more nor less than what I expected. And I didn't go there for for the food anyway, but for the music. And the music was very nice. But what I really don't like is when I'm given the feeling that I'm an item that needs to be processed. We clearly were the first batch to be handled. Which means that we had to finish the job before the next batch arrived. Especially in jazz cafés, I want to be able to stay just as long as the music goes on and just as long as I'm in the mood. Unfortunately Jazz Standard didn't give me the impression that that's the kind of Jazz hangout they want to be.
- Jazz Standard Youth OrchestraOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/13/2013Went to enjoy the Jazz Standard Youth Orchestra (Sundays 2-3). Amazing kids, amazing show, great food and great bourbon and whiskey list.Special Features:
- Good combination of BBQ, beverageSaxmanVIPDined on 1/5/2013Good combination of BBQ, beverage and Jazz. I hope the Standard stays open for many years.
- Jazz Club with good musicKEENJVIPDined on 1/4/2013Jazz Club with good music and good Bar-B-Que. Better food than the average club.Special Features:
- this is a place for jazz !briceDined on 12/30/2012The food was much below standard for the price but we were here for jazz and that was great...Special Features:
- Once we got downstairs intoOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/27/2012Once we got downstairs into the club, the food, service and music were fantastic!! The issue was upstairs waiting to get in. Telling people to arrive at 8:45 and that reservations will only be held until 9 while you are not ready to let anyone go downstairs until 9:20 is absolutely ridiculous!! It was a cold night so everyone wanted to be in the tiny lobby creating a very uncomfortable situation for all. There should be someone upstairs to manage the situation especially if the first set is running over.
- First-rate jazz club, withOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/24/2012First-rate jazz club, with nationally- and internationally-known performers. In contrast to the typical jazz club, where the food is barely edible and way overpriced, I always look forward to having barbecue at the Jazz Standard (though they've gotten a little careless about keeping the food hot by the time it get to the table over the last few years). The staff is friendly & helpful, and (thanks to numerous OpenTable reservations) always tries to give me my favorite table. Unlike most NYC jazz clubs, you're not jammed in, but actually have a reasonable amount of space to enjoy the music.Special Features:
- Good music, great food.JeninNyVIPDined on 12/8/2012Music was great, food was exceptionally good for a music venue. Was a little disappointed that the shrimp corn dogs were off the menu, but that's life. Best Mac 'n cheese I've had in a long while though, so that, on top of the music made it a really good night.
- Obviously we came for theCasaLVIPDined on 12/2/2012Obviously we came for the music, not for the food, but this is the best food in a jazz club, in our experience. The vegetarian burger was delicious; the salmon just ok, the sticky toffee pudding for dessert was excellent, Out waiter was charming,
- We were put at a table whereOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/1/2012We were put at a table where we could barely see the performers, especially the tap-dancer. The food was fine, and the service was OK.
- Mondays Are FundaysreynolllDined on 11/26/2012Went to this neighborhood hang-out based on Yelp reviews and had a great time. The service was spectacular and attentive, the fried chicken was yummy (although the mashed potatoes were COLD), but, hey, it's a music venue so we didn't expect the food to be as good as it was! The Mingus Big Band was lots of fun, I'm the jazz fan in the family, but even my husband enjoyed the music. Highly recommend this for a fun Monday night out in the City.Special Features:
- Jazz Standard is one of myOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2012Jazz Standard is one of my favorite jazz clubs in New York. Outstanding food and service, and even more outstanding music!Special Features:
- Good Jazz, nice setting, goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2012Good Jazz, nice setting, good place to experience good music in a traditional jazz setting.Special Features:
- Great food, great music.BenjaminDined on 11/10/2012Great food, great music. Impress a date instantly.Special Features:
- Don't plan on talking. EveryoneOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/10/2012Don't plan on talking. Everyone else is just here to listen to the music.
- Very good bbq food, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/4/2012Very good bbq food, great staff and excellent jazz. Just be warned that the silent policy during performances is strictly enforced, so if you are expecting a nice dinner with friends with jazz in the background, that is not what you will be getting and you will not be able to have a dinner conversation.
- DisorganizedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2012I was very disappointed in my experience. We arrived at 7:15 for a 7:30 show.The hostess was confused, and the restaurant wasoverbooked. Not only could they not accomodate my table, they offered us a bench to sit on on theRamp of the restaurant an we were told we couldn'tFine because we didn't have a table.There was no service at the bench (and the view of theconcert was marred by the wooden column which wasin front of our view). No one asked us for a drink- so my company went tothe bar. I was very disappointed. Not only am I am long term patron of USHGrestaurants, I am a friend of the band, and have worked with many USHG staffThrough my volunteerism and while I know this service was a fluke,I was very disappoint
- Great jazz club with goodliketoeatVIPDined on 10/24/2012Great jazz club with good food provided by Smoke, the BBQ upstairs.
- Made reservations for theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/19/2012Made reservations for the BBQ and ended up in the Jazz Standard portion (1st timer and didn't know what it was). Was very pleasantly surprised. Great food AND great jazz! Would definitely go back and have already recommended to friends.Special Features:
- Jazz Jazz Jazz. Food is fine.OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/9/2012Jazz Jazz Jazz. Food is fine. Pulled pork sandwich better than the vaulted ribs.Special Features: