La Fontana Della Citta
1701 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Fontana Della Citta
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lafontanadellacitta.com/
- Phone: 2158759990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bujar Daku
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: 10 people and up
- Private Party Facilities: Business meeting, Birthdays, Weddings & Rehearsal Dinners. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Bujar or Rafael. 2158759990
A word from La Fontana Della Citta
Jersey Shore pilgrims might be familiar with La Fontana Del Mare ("The Fountain of the Sea"), the award-winning restaurant in Strathmere. Owner Rafael Kupa is excited to bring his most popular dishes to Philly at this new "Fountain of the City," a 100-seat BYOB right off Rittenhouse Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Fontana Della Citta reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)romantic (18)great for outdoor dining (17)special occasion (12)good for groups (11)fit for foodies (10)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good foodPhillyphanDined on 3/15/2014Our overall experience was a pleasant one. The ceasar salad was bland but enjoyed everything else we ordered. The service was good but after dessert our waiter disappeared and we had to wait for the check. I would return to this byob and give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater dining. AttentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/14/2014Pre Theater dining. Attentive service, food good, byob nice. Atmosphere -- a bit dated and worn.
- The food was just ok thisMitchdishVIPDined on 3/13/2014The food was just ok this time. I have been at this restaurant many, many times and the food has been better.
- We were a group of 5, servicedishDined on 3/13/2014We were a group of 5, service excellent. We all had different entres and everyone commented on how good their dinner was. The staff was most accomodating and friendly.Special Features:
- eat and move!BWHCDined on 2/22/2014Not only could we barely hear each other, we were packed in like sardines and the only service we received was when they needed something - like to have us change tables. There are numerous Italian restaurants in Philly, I'd say try one of the others first.Special Features:
- A great mealSunnyDined on 2/22/2014Looking for terrific old school Italian food with flair - this is the spot. It is cozy, warm, and classy. Presentation is perfect. Food is tasty. Staff is attentive. Really recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/18/2014Very good experience from start to finish. Service was outstanding. Seated on time for my reservation at a great table by the window. Food was served promptly and piping hot. Everything tasted great and I plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food AND it's a BYOB!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Best BYOB I've ever been to. the food is absolutely delicious and the staff is always friendly. Never had to wait if I made reservations. Staff wasn't pushy to get us out either. I've been here three times and this weekend went with my boyfriend for dinner to celebrate. It was very romantic and I liked that the staff didn't bother us much (they could tell we were fine though, weren't neglecting us).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good. The servicefrancophileDined on 2/1/2014The food was good. The service was especially friendly and enthusiastic. The noise level, though, made conversation difficult. We were there late Saturday evening. Perhaps it is not so noisy on other evenings.
- Restaurant weekJbelfusDined on 1/31/2014I went for restaurant week an it was absolutely delicious! I will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/30/2014My favorite restaurant in the city. Such a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Concert dinnerKimBobVIPDined on 1/30/2014Great place for dinner before concert at the Kimmel Center. Does not have a liquor license, so great BYO with very minimal corking fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you to your wonderfulPassportDined on 1/29/2014Thank you to your wonderful staff for a very special evening! Loved the experience and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week/birthday combo.adgeDined on 1/29/2014I took my mom here during restaurant week to celebrate her birthday. The portions were good, not skimpy. The food was good, we both enjoyed everything we ordered. BYOB which was nice, we brought a bottle of wine. Our server Roberto was very attentive. I have no complaints, all but one. I had let them know ahead of time it was my mom's birthday and they said they would sing. However, they did forget when our desserts came. I told Roberto after the fact and he was apologetic and brought out another piece of cake with a candle in it and the servers all sang, it was cute and most importantly my mom enjoyed it. They also offered us 2 complimentary glasses of wine, but we couldn't stay because we had other plans. Overall, good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good selectionBirthdayGirlDined on 1/28/2014They have a good selection of food that all taste good. Try the tarfuto, it's to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated my son's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014We celebrated my son's birthday here. There were two very large college groups here. Loud. The ravioli and its sauce was excellent. I didn't care for the Veal Fontana. The tiramisu was fantastic. Good wait staff and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice atmospherepattidDined on 1/23/2014La Fontanna has great atmosphere and excellent service, very attentive. The food was very good and even though one in our party was late, we were never rushed and were able to truly enjoy our dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely diningbyobEnthusiastDined on 1/19/2014Looking for a different place to dine for restaurant week, we chose to sample the taste at La Fontana Della Citta. When arriving we were approached by a polite hostess. We asked to be seated away from door and window drafts and were quickly accommodated. The menu included 4 courses. All choices on the Restaurant Week were mostly traditional, however, flavor was wonderful. To put icing on the cake, the service was wonderful. The wait staff were very attentive but not intrusive. Would recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner!AnonymousVIPDined on 1/17/2014La Fontana never ceases to amaze me! I have dined at all their restaurants but this one is my go to in the winter months when those down the beach are not open. The staff are all extremely attentive, genuine, and personable; the staff truly does treat you like family. The food came out at just the right moment, with all my party's dishes hot and cooked to perfection. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their dinner and had great difficulty finishing it! However, when it came time for dessert, no one could refuse. The espressos were piping hot and the cappuccino was delicious. This was not my first time dining here, and it will certainly not be my last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They have list of rules forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014They have list of rules for dining. Found that interesting.
- NoisySuerobVIPDined on 1/10/2014Very noisy. We were 6 people and they sat us at a table for 4. Very cramped. Food came out in 10 minutes. One entree came out wrong and it only took 5 minutes to get a new one. I guess the food Is not made to order .
- portionsturbotVIPDined on 1/10/2014My husband and I had a pleasant meal at La Fontana Della Citta on a recent Friday evening. The food was quite good. We shared a very nice salad to start. This was more than enough for the two of us. Then we made the mistake of each ordering pasta for our main course. The pasta was great but the portions were huge. We couldn't come close to eating it all. We took the uneaten food home and had more than enough for dinner the next night. I will never understand why they can get portion size correct in Italy but not in a good Italian restaurant in the US. When we return it will be to share (note there is a $6 charge for sharing an entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPhillydinerDined on 1/4/2014Usually I like going to La Fontana, but the other night I did not have such a great experience. I ordered the Arugula salad, which was basically lettuce on a plate - almost no dressing and the only thing in the salad was 3 strips of Parmesan cheese. This is pretty pathetic for $8. For the entree, I ordered the gnocchi Sorrentina. This was good....However, I was not very hungry and only ate about 25% of my meal. They packed up my leftovers and the next day, I noticed they gave me the wrong ones! I called to complain, they made me a new dish, but that new dish was a side portion of what I originally ordered -- I had left almost triple that amount.Special Features:
- New Year's Eve at Albanian Rest.JayteacherDined on 12/31/2013The owners and the waiters were quite cordial and attentive. The Caesar salad, the mussels in white wine, the 3 pasta dish were quite fine, but Veal Fontana was a disappointment; nice pieces of veal but covered with very salty prosciutto and a salty sauce. I think most diners would not like that dish. The tiramisu was not authentic as the lower layers were hard biscuits. The cost as advertised was 99.99 including tax. With tip, we spent $120 a piece. I would recommend this restaurant but diners should question the veal dishes and hope for better desserts. John T. D'Alessandro Ph.D.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Place with Great Food!PhillyboyVIPDined on 12/30/2013I have been going to La Fontana Della Citta since it has been open. Over the years I have never been disappointed with the staff or their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were 6 of us and thelobster101VIPDined on 12/30/2013There were 6 of us and the restaurant gave us a table that sat 4 comfortably. Two of us ate the edge of the table. We all felt rushed and our dishes were taken away too quickly. The food (branzino) was very good but I don't think we would go back. Never asked asked if we wanted coffee or dessert. It's really a shame since this restaurant is in the city and the competion is fierce. I also had a problem that they didn't check us in with Open Table. Called the restaurant and they didn't do anything for me. Thank you Open Table!!! for taking care of this. Other than that......Happy New Year!!!!
- YumFayeDined on 12/28/2013If your looking for really good Italian, this us the place. The sauce was excellent, I had the chicken Parm my husband had the veal, nothing delicious. I tasted the risotto and gnocchi both delicious. They seated us right away, we had a reservation for 4. Portion size wax very good, just right! Service could have been a little better and they could have poured the first glasses of our wine. Overall I can't wait yo go backSpecial Features:
- Great food. Have been severalAmandaDined on 12/25/2013Great food. Have been several times and will continue to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOBJosieDined on 12/21/2013A very relaxed feel with excellent service. We had the specials which were very good but a little pricey. The regular menu was very reasonable in price. There was a $1.95 corkage fee per bottle, but our waiter did not charge us. Overall, a good experience and we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccomodatingfoodieDined on 12/19/2013We were late due to traffic and had to be out in an hour. They made it happen without us feeling rushed. I had the pasta special and it was delicious. The sauce was very flavorful but didn't overpower the seafood. We'll return again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night DinnerWineandDineDined on 12/14/2013The restaurant was full with holiday parties going on. A lot of tables were celebrating which added an energetic element to the scene. The server immediately greeted us and opened our wine upon sitting at our table and described the specials which sounded wonderful. We then decided on our appetizers and entrees. The food was delicious but my favorite part of the meal was dessert. I was in heaven with their creme brûlée! The only negative element to the experience was that I felt a bit rushed since they had people waiting and the place is rather small. Overall it was a great dining experience and I am looking forward to my next dinner there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- becoming averageEricDined on 12/14/2013Staff and kitchen are lackluster. Wait staff has ties undone, seem to be treading in place. Food is average now at best. Needs outside help to boost there product.
- Corkage 4 BYOB-Outrageous3gr8kidsVIPDined on 11/29/2013I am a (now former)regular at the restaurant. They have just added two charges that will prevent me from returning. A corkage fee, altho they are a BYO. That's simply money grabbing and a 20% tip on parties of 5 (down from 6). Why not make it mandatory for 1? Thinking more of the bottom line than the customer. Shame!
- This restaurant overbooks weekendsHridoydoctorVIPDined on 11/8/2013They tend to overbook, so even with an Open Table reservation you may have to wait for 30-45 mins. At that point everybody in the restaurant removes eye contact with customers and they run around frazzled. The ambience is good and the food reasonably good and reasonably priced. Also it is a BYOB restaurant. Hence popular with rather large (8-10) groups of young people. If they did better time management it would be more appealing to me.Special Features:
- Excellent food ,friendly ,clean,MoisheDined on 11/6/2013Excellent food ,friendly ,clean, ample servings ,good quality food ,will recommend to friends ,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly staff who strive to pleasePennlawVIPDined on 10/31/2013we had a great time. Good food, reasonable prices, ... and there's no corking fee!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service for a littleJackieDined on 10/29/2013Great service for a little birthday celebration; ambience excellent and not too loud. Entres all a bit overcooked. Desserts great!Special Features:
- Excellent Neighornhood FineDonnVIPDined on 10/21/2013Highly recommend this restaurant, Food and service were excellent and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation @ 5 for 2DissapointingDishVIPDined on 10/19/2013My dinner came out @ 5 40. friend 's dinner 10 minutes sooner lasgna was hard in some spots & softer in others. Minimal amount of meat. Sauce bland & RAGU would have been better. Spoke to chef, told me never had that problem.. indifferent. Waiter a waste..host worse..no one really cared Contacted owner yesterday @ 3pm, he was sending me his email. Still did not get i I ate there before & it was ok. Half my dinner went back I paid full price would not take a dime off my bill. Not customer friendly Bellini was better.....Davio's the best. Too many good Italian restaurants Never will go back or recommend it to others. Next table also a problem, could nt hear what it was
- Great BYOBSouthStreetMikeVIPDined on 10/17/2013Very convenient location to the Kimmel Center or the Academy for a pre-theater dinner. BYOB which is great as long as you know beforehand. The service was very attentive and friendly. Great spinach salad, good arugula salad, ok caesar salad. Everyone loved their entrees, lots of options. I will return soon.Special Features: