Cafe Des Architectes/CDA
20 East Chestnut Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Cafe Des Architectes/CDA
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafedesarchitectes.com/
- Phone: 3123244063x
- Hours of Operation:
6 am until 10 pm, Daily. Brunch: Saturday and Sunday from 11:30 am until 5:00 pm. Le Bar is open for dinner daily from 3:00 pm to close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, International
- Executive Chef: Greg Biggers
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Chicago Restaurant Week is right around the corner! From February 1-10, Café des Architectes will be offering a $22 prix fixe lunch and a $44 prix fixe dinner. For more details, please inquire within. Café des Architectes will also be celebrating Valentine's Day February 14-16 with a special five course degustation for $79 per person. All prices exclude beverages, tax and gratuity. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
A word from Cafe Des Architectes/CDA
Blending French elegance with the very best in local flavor, Executive Chef Greg Biggers prepares breakfast, lunch and dinner with the freshest ingredients in hand. Working closely with a number of like-minded farmers, Chef Biggers prepares cuisine that changes seasonally and centers around quality and sustainable ingredients. A De-Light prix fixe menu is available, featuring three courses of low calorie dishes. Guests are also invited to enjoy the restaurant’s five or ten course Degustation Menu, available with wine pairings. Also not to be missed is Café des Architectes’ signature Cheese Ritual and comprehensive wine program. This chic Magnificent Mile neighborhood restaurant offers dramatic interiors by Pierre-Yves Rochon, featuring vibrant colors, overstuffed chairs, and dynamic lighting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cafe Des Architectes/CDA reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)special occasion (36)romantic (34)great for outdoor dining (25)notable wine list (22)neighborhood gem (18)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (11)good for groups (8)scenic view (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- A Memorable ExperienceHalcheVIPDined on 10/12/2013My wife and I each chose the 10-course tasting menu. The chef personally came out and discussed any food preferences we might have. We mentioned that we were fans of foie gras and truffles and he told us that he could accommodate us. He then proceeded to cook for us a sensational meal. What distinguished this tasting menu experience from others was that the chef prepared different dishes for my wife and me in seven out of the ten selections. He checked midway through the meal as to how things were going. His culinary artistry was amazing, the service impeccable in all respects and the ambiance exceptional. Having eaten in many Michelin three-star restaurants in France, I can say without hesitation that we had a three-star meal.Special Features:
- Perfect diningSheriVIPDined on 10/12/2013We loved every course our mains were poached fish and a wonderfully creative chicken. We appreciated the amuse bouch and the petite sweets they brought over with my coffee . The waiter Romi was exceptional. The wines he suggested have already been added to my husband's wine app. He also has a great voice and treated us to a softly song French tune.Special Features:
- Awesome experienceluv2dineDined on 10/12/2013The food was excellent, the service excellent. Master Chef was kind and came to table to speak with us about the meal presentations and to be hospitable. I was impressed with his ability to make time to get to know his clientele.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We discovered this place throughCharlieVIPDined on 10/4/2013We discovered this place through a Fodor's guide, and were very happy we did. We had a wonderful meal, with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!Em9876VIPDined on 9/23/2013Food here was wonderful. We felt the restaurant could have increased the number of staff on duty as the servers on hand were pressed to serve everyone up to the standards of this type of restaurant. The restaurant was not too busy, which was a surprise considering its quality. We will go here again.Special Features:
- Delicious. Delicate portionsTheNYerDined on 9/22/2013Delicious. Delicate portions that are beautifully presented.located in ground floor space of the Sofitel so doesn't have a local feel. Very comfortable and attractive. Not crazy expensive. If you are looking for a hearty meal, this would not be the right restaurant for you. Also most offerings have cream or cheese ingredients - French influence. They do have a spa menu alternative.Special Features:
- Nice dinner!AnonDined on 9/22/2013This is a nice, but expensive, spot for dinner near high end shopping of the Mag mile. Small menu, but tasty French food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The halibut in the chef'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/21/2013The halibut in the chef's special sauce with asparagus and mushrooms was outstanding and different from any other place we've had this fish dish. The escargot was excellent and loved the garlic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentJHG1VIPDined on 9/20/2013Service was initially fair, got better. Food was just average. Setting is interesting but disjointed - didn't realize it was a hotel restaurant (which is not a bad thing, but they don't mention that on Open Table). The best part were the petit fours at the end - the lemon sorbet was inedible, the sashimi was over seasoned and the halibut bland beyond belief. Had to ask for the three course prix fixe menu even though it's advertised on their website. At least eight different employees served various part of the meal and cleared away dishes. Strange dining experience. Glad some of the reviewers had a terrific experience. Me, not so much.
- Great dessert, but that's about itchicagoanDined on 9/16/2013The food was good, not impressive though. I am not sure if I would go again for food.. The ambience was great.
- Outstanding food and serviceWill86Dined on 9/14/2013My wife and I went to Cafe des Architectes for a big celebration night and couldn't have been more pleased. We decided to do the 5 course seasonal tasting menu with wine pairings. The food was absolutely delicious, gourmet, PERFECTLY cooked, and an overall 5-star feast. The pork appetizer with chanterelles and creamed corn was my absolute favorite and I am already planning on reproducing it at my family Christmas party this year. The staff was super attentive and genuinely interested in making it a fun and formal dining experience. They also were truly interested in our feedback and so many different managers checked on us. Total 5-stars and we will be back next time were in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2013Greeted warmly and wished a Happy Anniversary. Given our choice of outside or inside dining, we chose outside. Once seated it did take the waiter a bit too long to greet us and present us with our menus. There were only 4 or 5 other diners, so we're not sure why the delay. Cocktails were ordered and delivered promptly. I chose the pate and my husband chose the corn chowder to start our meals. Both of us were very, very pleased with the taste and presentation of this first course. We both had the fresh halibut and we felt we couldn't have done better. Very tasty, beautifully presented. We had the Parisian sampler dessert, which had a taste of four desserts. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchbellecurveVIPDined on 9/4/2013The croissants here are fabulous, especially the chocolate croissants. Excellent choice of brunch entrees. Dinner menu somewhat less exciting.Special Features:
- Underwhelming....MikeBikerVIPDined on 8/31/2013After reading the reviews here, we decided to give this place a try. We were very sadly disappointed. The food was fair: duck breast was overcooked yet the skin was soggy when it should be crisp, escargot was too salty and the foie gras was served with odd accessories. Our server and other staff were really off compared to the other reviews. We had not finished our appetizers and the main course came out. We had to ask for water. The bread came out after the appetizer. We poured our own wine because no one offered to do so. And throughout the entire dinner, no one asked us how the food was or if we needed anything. I am often skeptical of restaurants in hotels...and this evening confirmed why I should be!
- Surpassed ExpectationsSuburbiansDined on 8/31/2013Love the decor at this place and the shelves in the bar area that change colors! I wouldn't change a thing about this place, loved the silver chargers on the table, place had a fun energetic vibe. We went here for dinner and was pleasantly surprised by everything. The service was great, nice selection of breads, our appetizer and entrees were delicious, dessert was excellent - a sampling of 5 mini desserts were presented on one plate. Our waiter took a few great photos of us from different angles. If I lived in town, would definitely become a regular here.Special Features:
- Always a Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2013My wife and I come to Chicago a couple times a year. Cafe des Architects is always on our short list of places to have dinner. The quality of the food and presentation is top notch. This had been our seventh visit to Cafe des Architects and we look forward to next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent spot for business lunchTarheelborn1VIPDined on 8/26/2013This cafe has it all...great food, service and ambiance. Conversations can be enjoyed in the quiet relaxing atmosphere of the restaurant at lunch. It is one of my favorite lunch spots in the city.
- I am from Montreal and wasMichel21Dined on 8/21/2013I am from Montreal and was ther for my aniversary. The ambiance was great. Service was the best ever. All dishes were a great tasting experience. The wine was very good with our meal. Our waitress gave us amn excellent service and recommand some dishes we took. I ceertainly recommand this great restaurant. It was a unique experience and neat time we return to Chicago, the Café des Architectes will be on top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went here for my husband'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2013We went here for my husband's birthday last weekend. This is not the type of restaurant he'd normally choose, but I thought I'd push him outside his comfort zone a bit. He was very happy at the end of our meal. The food was great, the service attentive, and our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu. They surprised us with a birthday dessert at the end as well. The only negative was that when we got there and requested an outdoor seat, none were available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the lite menulove2eatoutVIPDined on 8/14/2013Calorie controlled and delicious - you didn't think it was possible. Try the lite menu, a 3 course meal for about 450 calories without even the tiniest compromise on taste. The staff here are always great, (we spotted some friends so disappeared from our table for 20 minutes, which no doubt messed with the kitchen plans but everything was still seamless. The wine list has lots of choice (including a good selection by the glass). Oh, and the tower of treats, (especially the macaroon) at the end are absolutely worth blowing your previously controlled calories... they're only tiny afterall :-)Special Features:
- The staff could not have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/14/2013The staff could not have been more cooperative and gracious. We had read about a special that was no longer available, but a wonderful substitute was offered without hesitation. We appreciated the adjustments that were made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItWilmaVIPDined on 8/14/2013Loved it so much I went for the second time in a week and order the same food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic and sleek in ChicagoNadineDined on 8/10/2013The restaurant is well designed, with a lovely outdoor seating area, August night weather cooperating. The menu is innovative on a French base. Service is impeccable, so is timing. Appetizers: tuna tartare and oysters are original; Main courses: duck breast is excellent (finally, no sweet confit!), fillet mignon perfectly done; the chocolate dessert deserved a picture, taste was memorable as well. In addition, a tree with bite size macaroons, jelees and truffles is presented on the house. A most rewarding Chicago dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as everLarry800Dined on 8/10/2013This is a wonderful neighborhood gem for us, but should be a destination for others. Very much in the chic but classic style. Food is excellent, and well priced. Either ala carte or pris fixed works. Definitely one of the best in Chicago.Special Features:
- Extraordinaire!WilmaVIPDined on 8/10/2013We sat outside on a beautiful evening. The food was spectacular. We tried the pris fixe menu. Fabulous food; everything was a work of art and very, very delicious. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Anniversary dateDanacDined on 8/3/2013I had chosen this place for my boyfriend and I to go for our 4 year anniversary. We love to find hidden places with a creative menu, at first we weren't sure if the place was for us considering it was very quiet, and no music what so ever. But all of that was pretty much forgotten when we started receiving the amazing food. From the tortellini appetizer, amuse Bouche, to the main course, everything was amazing. Not one disappointment with anything. Definitely would reccommend this place! The wait staff was excellent as well, I felt very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot.CL2013VIPDined on 8/3/2013A great restaurant and Bar. Amazing food and Drinks. Awesome service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2013Been here for brunch and lunch. Brunch is pretty awesome and the pastries/bread basket makes the meal. Executive lunch is a great deal if you are in the mood for something nicer than jimmy john's but don't want to take a 2-hr lunch. Food is not amazing but certainly delicious and service is consistently good.Special Features:
- This restaurant was fantastic!PriscillaDined on 7/31/2013This restaurant was fantastic! We had the 10 course tasting menu and paired it with wine. It was a delight. The whole dinner is a surprise from the chef so you don't really know what you are having for dinner. The wines were perfect. The portions absolutely well calculated so that at the end you feel satisfied but not bursting. The only complaint is that the service was a bit unattended. They forgot several times to supply us with silverware after each course, change the wine in time or little things like that. Other than that, the place is beautiful and the food is superv! Definetely coming back!Special Features:
- Surprising service,exceptional foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2013The service was impeccable and the food was exceptional, especially the dessert. When making our reservation we had noted that it was our wedding anniversary; as a result, the head chef came out to personally present to us our appetizers, and during dessert we were serenaded with a romantic French song and given champagne and a special anniversary dessert plate. All of these details were very unexpected but certainly appreciated. Most importantly, the food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2013one of my most favorite restaurants in Chicago! Love the food! great location, friendly staff! will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialOutrageousVIPDined on 7/23/2013The only good thing about this restaurant, was the service. Food was ok buy completely forgettable. Decore is cold and felt like an office waiting room. There was absolutely NOTHING memorable about this place. If you are in Chicago, don't waste your time here, instead, make a reservation ( ahead of time) at Girl and the Goat or HB Bistro. Both AMAZING!!
- Great spot.CL2013VIPDined on 7/21/2013We love the restaurant for the service, food, drink and the location. It is a fantastic place to relax and enjoy people watching as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than a hotel dining roomMomSaysVIPDined on 7/13/2013There were 7 of us so we didn't consider the tasting menu because everyone would have had to participate. The duck, chicken, raw items, lobster were all outstanding. They were accommodating of food allergies and non-traditional choices: without a main but several apps. The dessert tower they presented was pretty but none of the bites were outstanding. No matter. The dinner was great, in a pretty room with good service.Special Features:
- Fantastic in every way!JulieVIPDined on 7/13/2013This was our second time in two years to have the 5-course tasting menu, and it was just fantastic. Tuna tartare, beef tartare, scallops, salmon with soba noodles and coconut sauce (which the chef personally came out and applied), filet mignon, duck breast, many other things, all meticulously prepared and presented. Chocolate confection with real gold leaf on top! Great wines, cheese course, complementary calvados brought by M. Boucher, who is from Normandie. A totally wonderful experience to celebrate a special occasion for my architect husband!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food choices were veryBradDined on 7/13/2013The food choices were very varied and fresh. We had people in our party with many different tatses and all were happy. Three of us had birthdays and the restaurant did a great job surprising us with a Birthday desert tray that was exceptional. The noise level was low and we could even hear ourselves talk! We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Super Slow ServiceRickVIPDined on 7/12/2013The service was SUPER slow this evening. Now, every other table seemed to be served in a timely manner so it was probably just our waitress. But it would be nice if a floor manager took notice of the poor couple who came early and left after everyone else left.
- Exquisite experience!yummmDined on 7/12/2013Thoroughly enjoyed this experience. We had a table of ten and were waited on quickly and without a hiccup. Our waiter and several of the support staff were French which added a level of authenticity we did not expect and were pleasantly surprised. Everyone was more than pleased with their dining choice. The Amish chicken was delicious! Filet was like butter. We are looking forward to going again next time we are in Chicago.Special Features:
- LovelyfrequentflyermomVIPDined on 7/12/2013Everything perfectly executed. beautiful plating. Nice to have delicious low calorie options. Fun to sit on patio in the summer and watch Chicago walk by.Special Features:
- great food, outstanding service,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2013great food, outstanding service, all in all a perfect eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.