J Morgan's Steakhouse
100 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05602Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J Morgan's Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.capitolplaza.com/Montpelier_Vermont_Dining/
- Phone: 8022235222x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Saturday: 7:00am - 12pm; Sunday Brunch: 8:00am - 1:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Owner Fred Bashara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a 4 banquet rooms to accommodate any size party. You may chose one of our menus or work with the chef to create your own.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Cain 8022235252x105
- Entertainment: Once a month we offer late night lounging with dance music and snacks.
- Special Events: Easter and Mother's Day Brunch
A word from J Morgan's Steakhouse
Our award winning restaurant J.Morgan's Steakhouse, not only caters to the hotel guest, it is among the top locals restaurants in the very culinary city of Montpelier. We have become known for our hand cut aged-in house steaks and the freshest seafood available in the region, homemade desserts and large portions. Our expertise in wine and great variety of our own martinis and seasonal drinks makes J.Morgan's Steakhouse a place that you will run back to.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
J Morgan's Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Montpelier ›
J Morgan's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (17)good for groups (11)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (6)fit for foodies (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)neighborhood gem (4)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent FoodPatrickDined on 5/6/2013Never disappointed and always excellent food. Best Lamb I have ever had!Special Features:
- A place for friends to gatherTAIgroupDined on 5/5/2013J Morgan is the place we gather with friends to catch up and spend time together. A perfect location for all of us to gather as we come from different locations in Vt. It is our "go to " place.Special Features:
- I found my food to be dryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013I found my food to be dry with little taste. The others in my party were happy with their food. The service was outstanding.
- The ceasar salad with anchoviesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2013The ceasar salad with anchovies and croutons (xtra charge) was great. The salmon dish that i had was very dry; cooked too long. I do a much better job bbqing salmon at home. My wife's Mahi mahi was likewise overcooked. Definitely not a seafood restaurant.
- AN ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS EXPERIENCEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2013AN ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS EXPERIENCE FROM BEGINNING TO END. WELL WORTH THE PRICE!Special Features:
- Great Steaks!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2013The steaks were melt-in-your-mouth...you won't be disappointed. The plate portions are generous and it is wise to share a dessert as they are huge (and not inexpensive.) But overall, a nice special occasion evening. Note: when the Legislature is in session, the bar patrons (elected, staffers and lobbyists) can be loud.Special Features:
- You always get a lot for whatjakthirdVIPDined on 4/9/2013You always get a lot for what you pay for at J Morgans. The service is always attentive but not intrusive. The food is always good - salads and desserts are great but I always wish they put more seasoning on the items on the entree plate. If they just put more salt and pepper on their steaks, salt on the onion straws, and salt on the lyonnaise potatoes it would take the food to the next level. But, if you want a steak in central VT then this is the place to go!
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2013Went to J Morgans for my wife's birthday. We drove down from Colchester and had a very good time. Food and Service was very good.....it took a little while to get use of the trains :-) Only disappointment was that we mentioned a few times that we were their to celebrate a birthday and nothing special was Done.Special Features:
- Had to wait thirty minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Had to wait thirty minutes for the table. Waitress was a waitress and provided no real service to the meal.
- Great place to celebrate in VTOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013We always enjoy celebrating a special event with our "Norwich University Cadet" at J. Morgan's Steakhouse. The atmosphere is vibrant, and the food is really great!Special Features:
- J Morgan's Steakhouse is aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013J Morgan's Steakhouse is a great place to go for a special occasion. Prompt and friendly service. The steaks were done as requested, and were tender and flavorful. They serve a delicious, warm, garlic-topped, seasoned bread.Special Features:
- J Morgan's is unique, thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2013J Morgan's is unique, there are not many good steakhouses in North Central Vermont and Montpelier is a great capital city. Large selection of apps, pasta, seafood, flatbreads and of course steaks. Service was a bit spotty this night (very busy). Even though we had a res the hostess told us a we would get the first table when it became available and quickly pointed us to where we could wait (lobby of hotel) - took 15 minutes. Food was very good. My veal chop with mushroom marsala was cooked perfectly buy my wife's filet tips with same sauce a little tough. Save the award winning strawberry cake for when strawberries are in season. They forgot our coffee order and had to take it off the bill
- My only complaint on thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2013My only complaint on this visit was that my potatoes and vegetables both came out cold. To their credit, they did bring me fresh potato. The menu is diverse and although it is a bit on the pricey side, they certainly provide plenty of food from bread, salad to the entree being generous. The desserts are HUGE.
- Great place to have lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Great place to have lunch or dinner. Would give a big hands down to J MorgansSpecial Features:
- The eclectic menu is one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/3/2013The eclectic menu is one of J Morgan's best assets. There is - or should be - something for everyone. Ordered the lamb chop on a bed of risotto. The lamb was cooked to my specifications. A trio of vegetables was served with the meal - baby carrots, red beets and green beans. While the carrots and beans were cooked to tender the beans were a bit under-cooked for my taste. I didn't taste the crab meat that was supposed to accompany the lamb chop. The Malbec from the wine list was excellent. I found reading the menu difficult due to lack of lighting.
- The food is always well preparedMitchellVTDined on 3/2/2013The food is always well prepared and the menu has something for almost anyone BUT,you can almost beat on hearing "I'm sorry we are out of the prime rib" or "we are out of baked potatoes this evening". I can not imagine going to Ruth Chris or Morton's and hearing they ran out of baked potatoes. Again, the food is good, but the kitchen appears to need some attention.Special Features:
- This is a lovely place withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2013This is a lovely place with a wonderful menu. The food has always been outstanding both in taste and presentation.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurant with greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Awesome restaurant with great food, staff and atmosphere. Incredible menu choices. The best place to go in central vermont.Special Features:
- Food perfect - atmosphere confusingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013Two of us ordered Fruits De Mare and Rack of Lamb. The pistachio-crusted lamb was prepared exactly as ordered, and the rice and vegetables were in perfect proportions. The shellfish was fresh and perfectly cooked. The initial service can be a bit slow at this place as the bartender seems to take a leisurely pace when preparing simple cocktails. I do have to say the decor was somewhat confusing. They have several trains running around on tracks, which is interesting, the booths and bar area were comfortable looking with wood and leather, but the rest of the design seemed to be disconnected. They should spend some time to pull it together and reflect the train thing in the rest of the finishing touches.Special Features:
- NHS Class of 1965 ReunionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/10/2013We had a wonderful Northfield High School Class of 1965 Reunion at The Capitol Plaza Sunday Brunch. Twelve classmates and spouses attended for a lovely get together and fine meal. Enjoyed by all. Many thanks! Diane Turner MartinSpecial Features:
- Waitstaff is very good,evenMikeVIPDined on 1/12/2013Waitstaff is very good,even though our favorites are Glen, Josh, Caroline, and Kerin.Special Features:
- This place was absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013This place was absolutely fantastic would recommend to anybody that wouls enjoy a great meal!Special Features:
- Very Nice Evening, Very goodquasarDined on 12/20/2012Very Nice Evening, Very good dinner and well presented. Waiter, wish I could remember his name, was wonderful and very patient and attentive. Yes, J Morgan's is a bit loud,some like the trains some don't, and can be pricey, but is a nice place for a special event, and a special dinner.Special Features:
- Two weeks in a row that aMikeVIPDined on 11/24/2012Two weeks in a row that a steak wasn't very good. Been eating here almost every Saturday evening for four or five years. First time I've found this problem. I was not billed for the steak this time. Great service.Special Features:
- It was a birthday dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2012It was a birthday dinner. The food was fabulous! The service..not so much.Special Features:
- Okay, but ...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2012Everything was very good - the service, the food. Only complaint was that at 8:15, on a Tuesday, the carpet sweeper came out (hint to us), at 8:30, someone with a vacuum came out, vacuuming right up to our table. I was with old friends I hadn't seen in years and thought J Morgan's would be just the right spot. We finally left at 8:45, disappointed that we had such a short time to catch up. I bet that if there had been other diners there past 8, we would not have been treated quite so rudely. I will go here again, but it was a little disappointing and I wish I'd chosen someplace with more customers.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2012We had a great experience for my Mother-in-Law's birthday. They have an extensive menu that included nine specials. Everything was delicious and cooked perfectly. We'll definitely go back again for another special occasion.Special Features:
- We had a group of seven andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2012We had a group of seven and were celebrating a special occasion. We had a great time and the food was exceptional. Great place to eat.Special Features:
- I loved the feel of this place,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012I loved the feel of this place, the food was amazing and the service was also great. Will definitely be going here more. This was the first time I visited and it was well worth it!Special Features:
- Food was excellent and cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2012Food was excellent and cooked to order. Service was fast and friendly. Would definitely return and recommend to others.Special Features:
- All time favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012At first glance, it may seem pricey, but it's worth every dime! The salads are as filling (read: large), the entrees are classy yet down to earth, and of the course the steaks are the best in Central Vermont. You can't wrong with anything you choose!Special Features:
- On this particular evening,MikeVIPDined on 10/9/2012On this particular evening, it was very cold in the restaurant with both my wife and I needing to wear our jackets throughout dinner.
- My family had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2012My family had a great time with delicious food. Had many choices so everyone was happy. Server was attentive and helpful. Will go back again!Special Features:
- Simply the Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2012All other restaurant owners/chefs should visit Morgan's and learn what a classic American Steak/Chop/Seafood/Pasta Restaurant is all about. Morgan's creates first class cuisine, morning, noon, and ngiht!Special Features:
- J Morgan's was indeed a treat.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012J Morgan's was indeed a treat. The food was outstanding and we really enjoyed ourselves. It is a very busy place with a lot going on. It is a high energy restaurant!Special Features:
- RedemptionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012I Morgans has redeemed themselves ! My last few experiences have not been positive, and I keep wanting them to be! My VIP Mussels were a little sweet, and our guest didn't rave about his burger in the crock, but I was much more satisfied all around than I have been in the past!Special Features:
- I hadn't been to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012I hadn't been to the restaurant for several years, I was very impressed with the cosmetic renovations as well as the overall ambiance. Food was excellent and cooked to perfection. Staff was polite, very helpful and attentive. Very impressed and I look forward to dining at J Morgan's again.Special Features:
- Pleasant atmosphere & goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2012Pleasant atmosphere & good service. Salad & home made dressings particularly tasty (especially the blue cheese). Ordered special which was supposed to have been 3 week dry aged, 16oz NY strip steak - was served maybe 10 oz size steak & not very tasty at all. Very disappointing for a steakhouse! When we queried size of steak, waiter said that he might have 'got it wrong' - average!
- Fine RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012Our party of 6 were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. All were seated comfortably. We were pleased with extensive choices of food (even two children found food they liked). The service and the food was excellent. It is our first choice of restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- J. Morgan's Steakhouse 8/18/12OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2012Great food, excellent preparation, and nice ambience. Very strong menu selections....steak was incredible - one of the best meals I've ever had - we'll be back!!Special Features: