1701 Strand Way
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://1887onthebay.com/
- Phone: 6194350155
- Hours of Operation:
Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm
The Dining Room opens daily at 5:00pm
Happy Hour is in the Crew's Lounge Monday through Friday from 3:00pm till 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The 1887 on the Bay gives it guest the chance to dine in history, while enjoying award winning steaks and fresh seafood on our bayside patios or breath taking window tables. Enjoy the gorgeous views of the Gloretta Bay, Coronado Bridge and Down Town Skyline from our 4 private dining areas that accommodate groups of 15 to 300 people. With ample parking, customized menu options, and amazing views; we are the perfect location for your banquet needs. Please call 619-435-0155 for banquet / large party information.
- Entertainment: Live Music every Thursday night, Music starts at 6:00pm till 9:00pm.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant directly for all special events information.
A word from Bluewater Boathouse
A California historical icon, the restaurant 1887 on the Bay is now San Diego's premier destination for coastal dining. Standing directly over the sparkling waters of Glorietta Bay, diners are offered an unrivaled panoramic view of the harbor while they dine on our bayside patios or breathe taking window tables. Bluewater Boathouse has gained the reputation as the best’s steak house on the island; but they are also famous for the fresh seafood that is flown in daily from Hawaii and the East Coast. 1887 on the Bay may be reached by water taxi, the Coronado Bay bridge or via the Silver Strand. The restaurant Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm and the dining room opens daily at 5:00pm. The restaurants 4 private banquet rooms are available for day or evening banquets including rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and corporate events and military functions. With two dining rooms, two patios, and a mouth watering menu, it’s hard to beat the 1887 on the Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bluewater Boathouse reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (63)great for outdoor dining (54)special occasion (30)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (24)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (16)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (12)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- We have dined here many timesJTSDVIPDined on 10/12/2008We have dined here many times and truly the service was lacking. The waitress asked if we'd been there before and because we said yes we were practically ignored as well as seated at a very uncomforable table location. The food was fabulous but was served in an unacceptable manner...3 dinners came out and the 4th dinner was at least 5 minutes behind the others - this is totally unacceptable. I plan on writing the restaurant directly, but haven't had time yet.
- Very elegant dinner, wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2008Very elegant dinner, would reccomend to anyone to try, dinner for two (the most expensive dinner on the menu besides the filet minon and lobster tail) We had the Fillet minon and alaskan king crab legs with a pair of sodas and an appitizer of sauted' mushrooms (a heaping steaming plateful with fresh garlic) and topped it off with a big mountain fudge cake, bill came out under $150. Staff is very freindly and they even bring you hot towels for your hands with lemons to wipe off after dinner! So I would highly reccomend this restaraunt.Special Features:
- I had the filet mignon. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2008I had the filet mignon. It contained a great deal of fat and sinew. Less than half of it was edible.
- We were surprised at how fewJoeyVIPDined on 9/22/2008We were surprised at how few people were dining there, it is a lovely setting. The thing that stands out about the evening is the service. Very attentive, perhaps too much so, but he was a good salesman. I probably would select another restaurant next time I am in town because the food was expensive but not memorable.Special Features:
- Great food -- every one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2008Great food -- every one of our group of 6 had a delicious meal, from steak to seafood. Great service -- attentive waiter, with a great sense of humor. Beautiful views of the harbor. A wonderful evening!Special Features:
- My wife an I came here onOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2008My wife an I came here on a recommendation for an anniversary. It was our first visit and we were thinking it would be a romantic restaurant, on the bay, coronado. Walking through the dining room to get to our table felt EXACTLY like I was in a Red Lobster. The decor is EXTREMELY dated, dirty carpets, no linens on the tables. The service was horrible. Our waiter was nice but he just didn't seem to get that people like bread and water before dinner, and to occasionally check back, fill wine glasses if needed, etc. The only two positives: 1.) if you get a table near the window the view is nice and 2.) the food was very good. Of course it's not Donovan's quality, but still enjoyed the food. Advice: don't go here for a romantic date.Special Features:
- We have eaten here severalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/11/2008We have eaten here several times and it has always been excellentSpecial Features:
- Never quite makes it. TooOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2008Never quite makes it. Too much chit chat between the staff, slaids limp and low order wine selections - would not want to suggest they have a list. That said, the location is great and the folks friendly.Special Features:
- All around great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2008All around great location for area. Good variety of seafood, etc. Nice portions. Good wine list.Special Features:
- A traditional steakhouse concept,CathyVIPDined on 9/1/2008A traditional steakhouse concept, with some surprises. In addition to the "cool" factor of this being the original boathouse for the Hotel Del (1887), it has the element of being right on the water,with bobbying boats, etc. They continue to serve the fine, marinated teriyaki steak that the Chart House used to serve when they operated the restaurnt. Our macadamia crusted halibut with peanut sauce and teriyaki glaze was fantastic! It has always been a reliablely fine meal when we want a view and steak/seafood.Special Features:
- The clam chowder is excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2008The clam chowder is excellent! We have clam chowder everywhere we travel and this clam chowder was one of the best we've found in 17 years. Janice BristolSpecial Features:
- The food was fair at best.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2008The food was fair at best. I wouldn't order anything but the beef here. Their attempts at creating imaginative seafood fell well short of many other places in town.. and San Diego restaurants are hardly standouts when it comes to seafood. The staff was enthusiastic and made you feel at home. It's too bad the food wasn't what I expected. I drove from La Jolla to Coronado to eat there, but won't do it again.
- The food was great and theyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2008The food was great and they were able to accomodate our request for a waterview. Our waitstaff was very friendly. The problem we had was we were celebrating our 6th anniversary and were hoping to have a quite, romantic night. This was not it. There were young families everywhere and loads of sunburned tourist hanging at the bar. We, of course, were seated right next to the bar and at the top of the stairs - everyone had to walk by us to get to a different floor, to ring a sale, or pick up a drink at the bar. Maybe the atmosphere is different during the nontourist season, but if you are looking for a quite, romantic night out, sadly this is not it.Special Features:
- Food was great! Our waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2008Food was great! Our waiter Rick was top notch. Will recommend to friends and family.Special Features:
- Although the food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2008Although the food was excellent and perfect in everyway, I was a bit disappointed with the service. My husband and I waited quite a long time before we even got any water! At that point we were ready to order and when I tried to let the waiter know, he just walked away without acknowledging me. He came back (many minutes later) with bread and again tried to tell him we were ready and still he walked away. Third time must be a charm because he finally took our order, after sitting there for at least 20 minutes! I was a little irritated but I didn't want to spoil outone year anniversary. Luckily our food order came a lot quicker! I thought it was going to be a little more fancier but it was a causual / family friend environment.Special Features:
- Beautiful view and good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/7/2008Beautiful view and good food. Be sure to request a table by the window!Special Features:
- Took almost 45 minutes toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2008Took almost 45 minutes to get out first drink after being seated. Other than that is was a nice dinner.Special Features:
- I requested a table by a windowOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2008I requested a table by a window when making my reservation. Was given probably the worst table in the house. The table was in a walled off corner where both myself and my wife were in the traffic zone. Both of us were bumped multiple times. My wife was wacked in the head by a person carrying a chair. Food was good, service was good, waiter appologized for table selection. The person seating us said we would have to wait a significant period of time for a better table. This was when there were tables available at the window for the entire length of our meal. I belive he was looking for me to slip him money for a better table. I will never go back to this restaraunt again bacause of this. In fact, I will badmouth this place to all.Special Features:
- We found the service to beOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/26/2008We found the service to be quick - a little too fast - but the wait staff was friendly and accommodating. The sirloin steak was amazing, and the halibut was delicious. The key lime pie was also very good and refreshing. We plan to return to the restaurant for a special occasion, as it was a pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:
- First time there during restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2008First time there during restaurant week. Food was excellent, our server was awesome. Food came out on time and tasted great. Ambiance was fabulous. Definitely would go back and not hesitate to bring friends and/or family as well. Prices are fairly reasonable.Special Features:
- Everything was great. Food,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/24/2008Everything was great. Food, service, the view!!! Would definitely take out-of-towners there again.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2008The food was delicious and the service was fantastic. Our server (Ashzra J) was great, very pleasant. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- What a wonderful place. IOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2008What a wonderful place. I am partial to outdoor dining and the deck had a nice view of the Marina. The Food was excellent, service was extremely attentive and helpful. It was our weeding anniversary and they did take special note of that, which was nice. Would recommend highly!!Special Features:
- Prior to visiting our daughterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2008Prior to visiting our daughter in San Diego (we're from NJ), we asked her if there was a special restaurant that she would like to try. )Our daughter is in the Navy, and is not normally able to go to great restaurants.) She said that she had heard many good things about the Coronado Boathouse, and would like to go there. It was a great choice! The food was outstanding! The service was exceptional! And Rick, our server, realized that it was a special occasion, and did not hurry us at all. In fact, even if the food had not been so great, Rick would have still made it a very memorable evening. I would recommend the Coronado Boathouse 1887 to anyone that is visiting (or living in)the San Diego area.Special Features:
- here's the scenario four times!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2008here's the scenario four times!!! Your table is ready. OOPS wrong table. Promise you the next table by a window so sorry. No table by the window it was to be in hell's kitchen -- next to the garbage. Asked to see the manager - got attitude. I wouldn't go there on a free dinner for life. It is a beautiful building, however, the service and the southern california who cares attitude is inappropriate and unacceptible. Get them off your list.
- A traditional steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/13/2008A traditional steak house - staff has been there for quite a while, good at what they do but old school. Compliments to our server, David.
- It was very nice....food notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/12/2008It was very nice....food not quite the quality expected for the price, but still enhjoyed it. Beautiful location and view.Special Features:
- Have eaten here several times.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/2/2008Have eaten here several times. This time, we brought a freind w/food allergies and she told our waiter she needed to talk to the chef to make sure about her food prep. Our waiter was arrogant and would not send the chef over. The restaurant was 35% full (at best) on a Tuesday night. We left w/out ordering and went to The Del Hotel for a GREAT meal. Won't be going back to the Boathouse!!!
- I chose this restaurant basedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/2/2008I chose this restaurant based on what I saw on their website, however the atmosphere was not as enjoyable as it came across on the website. I also requested a small favor prior to our arrival to celebrate our special occasion and was told I would be accomidated, however when we arrived nothing had been done. The food was amazing however. A bit pricy for the low-key, slightly outdated, atmosphere.Special Features:
- We enjoyed a special mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/28/2008We enjoyed a special meal on our special occasion. The wait staff was excellent and the food was all great. The view can't be beat. It's an all around wonderful place to have a memorable meal.Special Features:
- It was good but not outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2008It was good but not outstanding. We went for our anniversary and were pleasrd but not blown awaySpecial Features:
- everything was great but theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/19/2008everything was great but the rice was not very good needs more flavor. Steak was good but over cooked for medium rare request.Special Features:
- This had to be one of theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2008This had to be one of the most disappointing dining experiences we have had. We enjoyed our appetizer, wine and had a nice view. However, we had to wait an hour for our entrees and they were delivered lukewarm. The waiter didn't charge us for them however we did not receive an apology or any acknowledgment from the management. The waiter even had the NERVE to ask me if I was upset and that was after HE had told us twice about problems in the kitchen. This was our 34th wedding anniversary and it will be remembered as one of the worst times we have experienced in a restaurant. I would NEVER return to eat at this establishment. Nancy & Rick Hammel, 785-632-7319, 714 Liberty; Clay Center, KS 67432Special Features:
- Food was slightly pricey butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008Food was slightly pricey but excellent. Excellent service. Would recommend and will go again.Special Features:
- Great food and service. RickOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2008Great food and service. Rick was an amazing server!Special Features:
- On this occasion, I ate outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008On this occasion, I ate outside - very nice. Excellent waitress ("Carol"). I ate there again several days later - this time inside. It was quite noisy, but still good food and service.Special Features:
- Way over inflated prices forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2008Way over inflated prices for entrees, chicken for $30?? I had the more affordable ($25) blackened tuna, a bit dry even though cooked rare, could have used more of the wasabi sauce for flavor. No veggie served with it, just rice. Salad extra $5. What happened to salad included at those prices? Nice salad, however, my husband did not realize bleu cheese would be crumbled all over it. A glass of wine costs just shy of what you would pay for the same bottle at the store and only a small selection is available by the glass. Kids meals are typical chicken tenders and good sized burger. There were many parties with children, though they were all well behaved children over 5 years old. I would say the ambience is what you pay for. Nice date venue.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2008We really enjoyed the atmosphere and ambience of the restaurant. The food was delicious! The presentation was perfect. We will definitely go back to the Coronado Boathouse. The CorzinesSpecial Features:
- We were first seated rightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2008We were first seated right next to busy door, felt like I was right in the middle of the walkway, then we moved tables and sat at that table for almost 15 minutes before we were even recognized by a waiter and asked if we would like something to drink. Service was bad, food was very good, but not good enough to outweigh the poor service. Won't be back.Special Features:
- I took a chance when I foundSadhanaVIPDined on 4/18/2008I took a chance when I found this restaurant on OpenTable because it looked like a lovely place to take out of town guests, although I was hesitant because the vegetarian options were quite limited. However, we ended up having a very memorable and delicious meal. The Ahi tuna was cooked perfectly and the creamed spinach was to die for. Our servers were excellent, very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Jimmy was one of our servers and he was training another gentleman, whose name I forget. We will definitely be back.Special Features: