1701 Strand Way
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://1887onthebay.com/
- Phone: 6194350155
- Hours of Operation:
Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm
The Dining Room opens daily at 5:00pm
Happy Hour is in the Crew's Lounge Monday through Friday from 3:00pm till 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The 1887 on the Bay gives it guest the chance to dine in history, while enjoying award winning steaks and fresh seafood on our bayside patios or breath taking window tables. Enjoy the gorgeous views of the Gloretta Bay, Coronado Bridge and Down Town Skyline from our 4 private dining areas that accommodate groups of 15 to 300 people. With ample parking, customized menu options, and amazing views; we are the perfect location for your banquet needs. Please call 619-435-0155 for banquet / large party information.
- Entertainment: Live Music every Thursday night, Music starts at 6:00pm till 9:00pm.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant directly for all special events information.
A word from Bluewater Boathouse
A California historical icon, the restaurant 1887 on the Bay is now San Diego's premier destination for coastal dining. Standing directly over the sparkling waters of Glorietta Bay, diners are offered an unrivaled panoramic view of the harbor while they dine on our bayside patios or breathe taking window tables. Bluewater Boathouse has gained the reputation as the best’s steak house on the island; but they are also famous for the fresh seafood that is flown in daily from Hawaii and the East Coast. 1887 on the Bay may be reached by water taxi, the Coronado Bay bridge or via the Silver Strand. The restaurant Crew's Lounge opens daily at 3:00pm and the dining room opens daily at 5:00pm. The restaurants 4 private banquet rooms are available for day or evening banquets including rehearsal dinners, wedding receptions and corporate events and military functions. With two dining rooms, two patios, and a mouth watering menu, it’s hard to beat the 1887 on the Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bluewater Boathouse reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (74)great for outdoor dining (65)special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (31)good for groups (27)fit for foodies (23)kid-friendly (15)great for lunch (15)hot spot (7)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (6)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- GreatesbalikestoeatDined on 7/25/2014Good Food, delicous Fish,good service nice view good atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mojitoDined on 7/25/2014just opened. fish was fresh and well prepared. still working out some service but generally a nice evening. Sat in the downstairs bar section between kitchen and main dining and it was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loudLovediningoutDined on 7/25/2014The food here was fine - nothing great, nothing terrible - but the noise level was unbearably loud making it almost impossible to carry on a conversation with others at the table. That alone keeps me from recommending or returning to this restaurant.
- Boathouse CoronadomjsailingDined on 7/24/2014While not a spectacular 5-star restaurant, this was a solid place. The food was good, the fish fresh, reasonable service and price. It is a family dining place. It will be romantic as well so long as you do not require a cozy quiet or intimate table. Decor was boathouse, but fresh,nit dated even though the building is over 100 years old. Nice place...Special Features:
- Excellent fishOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/23/2014We have eaten here twice. The violin no was terrific as well as the cedar plank salmon. The New England clam chowder was reminiscent if a fine boston restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View,Great FoodArtgeniusDined on 7/23/2014My husband and I wanted a nice dinner together,and this place was perfect! We shared a grilled artichoke with an amazing pesto sauce,followed by fresh grilled ahi. We had it with sauted spinach and homemade potato chips. It was just the right amount of food. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Just OkayPennimVIPDined on 7/22/2014Crab cakes were very good, but were barely warm. Told our waitress who said she would tell the chef, but nothing else. Mahi was good, fresh but pretty bland. Our waitress brought us some sauce which was tasty and helped to make the dish more flavorful. Key lime pie, despite our waitress's raving was good, not great. Otherwise, extremely noisy, and we felt a bit rushed. Probably won't be going back when we return to Coronado in August.
- Bluewater BoathouseSoCal56Dined on 7/21/2014My napkin had black stains on it, as did the napkin in the bread basket!!! Tried the signature margarita which ended up being terrible. It was supposed to have fresh lime juice and orange juice and Contreau of which it did not, it tasted just like a mix that comes in a bottle. My husbands Mai Tai was terrible too. We ordered a dozen raw oysters - mistake! They did not taste that great and one was bad! Horrible smell. After that things got better :) Our entrees were very nice. I had the prawn and scallop skewer - very fresh tasty and I love my sides of cole slaw and sauteed zucchini and squash. Our table also ordered an artichoke appetizer which they loved. Would come back to try it one more time.Special Features:
- LVMummyVIPDined on 7/19/2014My scallops were very gritty but they apologized & took them off the bill. Couldn't ask for more than that. Have eaten here often & it's a great new neighbor!Special Features:
- Will be back when furniture arrivesMmmmVIPDined on 7/17/2014Dined indoors but sun at 630 was hitting us in eyes with no way to cover window. Server was quite nice...brought us scotch tape to try to cover window with menu taped on to help shade. Also, table height very high...not proportioned to chair height...server said that would be remedied when correct chairs which were ordered arrive. Scallop sashimi appetizer was super! Cioppino was delicious. Others in our party had large salad with chicken. They said it was good.
- Bluewater Boathouse CoronadofinedinerDined on 7/16/2014Coronado's little gem, situated on the water with a view of the San Diego bay. New management now, and the menu did not disappoint. Quaint spot with an upstairs for happy hour and live music on certain nights. Service was great! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bjofpbDined on 7/11/2014Outstanding service. Dan, our waiter was the best. Good good and great locationSpecial Features:
- Great mealStevieVIPDined on 7/10/2014Bluewater Boathouse is a great addition to Coronado. Great seafood menu. Dine on the patio and ask to have Danny serve you.Special Features:
- We really wanted to like it, but...Terriwith2arfsVIPDined on 7/7/2014So disappointed! We just tried out the new Bluewater Boathouse. As local yokels, we were occasional customers during it's previous incarnation. The prices were definitely less expensive, however, the quality of food presented was not acceptable. I ordered the crab & avocado salad which was just OK - the crab was a little fishy & there was virtually no dressing. Just a hassle to call a waiter to order more dressing. My dinner was just... ugly. The green rice was hard and dry, the planked salmon had no char, no flavor to the glaze & my veggies were almost cold & raw (after steaming). The menu stated they were to be grilled. Husband's sand dabs were OK - the coleslaw good & the potatoes were luke warm but had flavor. I doubt we'll be back.
- Romantic, Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014My husband and I visited the Boathouse on our honeymoon to celebrate and it was wonderful. The Boathouse is one of the best restaurants remodels I have seen - lovely white woodwork, interesting photos of what the building used to look like. Very classic. Looking out onto the bay and boats was fun and romantic. The food is delicious - we went less than a week after opening and there were a few tiny kinks but nothing major (my husband's steak was slightly over-cooked but still tasty, and the waiter offered a beer on the house as an apology). I ordered the cedar plank salmon - delicious. The glaze was just enough and incredibly flavorful. Give it a try!Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Daniel is the best server. I have been to many other Bluewater locations, this one is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014a great view of the bay from the patio and the food was excellent. the mahi was very fresh and moist. the scallop potatoes i could eat all day but we did save room for dessert and we had two that were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible on every level.FooderDined on 6/28/2014Worst service I have ever had. Dinner ended up taking two hours. Salad was decent but main course was not good. Very poor quality for the price. Space was very noisy too. It was there first week so hopefully they will improve.
- Good food, a little slowboldsirbrianVIPDined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed our meal, which we had sitting outside. We both ate fish and were very satisfied with our choices. The service was little on the slow side, but the waitress who looked after us did her best to keep us informed and it wasn't the end of the world. We loved the outside area, which has heaters if needed and will definitely return.Special Features:
- The following 80 reviews are from the Bluewater Boathouse reviews archive.
- new ownershipOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014Good food and service... However, it is closed as of June 1st for a change in ownership and will reopen under a different name in July. Hope the food is just as goodSpecial Features:
- Had a fantastic meal on ourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/18/2013Had a fantastic meal on our last night in Coronado - would certainly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experience. VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Very nice experience. Very crowded because of the holiday, however service was extremely good, as was the food.
- A fun restaurant with goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2012A fun restaurant with good happy hour appetizers and a band on Thursdays.Special Features:
- This was an odd place. OurTravellerVIPDined on 8/5/2012This was an odd place. Our waiter was kind of different and too soft spoken to hear. The food was average, but the atmosphere was great for families.Special Features:
- Mixed openionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2011The place is good but with the restaurant week menu options it wasnt that good I prefer if I have ordered from the regular menu, the clam chowdar was salty but tasty (i love salty taste) The salamon was sweet like candy ,but the cocconut shrimp was great, loved the calamarySpecial Features:
- SO SO but pricey for the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2011Thought it was a little pricey for what you got. The food was good, not great. The water views were just ok. It wasn't like you got a beautiful sunset or city view. The location is next to a marina that rents kayaks, small boats, etc.
- An enduring classicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2011I loved it as the Chart House when I was a kid and love it as the Boat House now. Great location, great food, a nice on-the-water spot in the heart of Coronado. It could not have been better.Special Features:
- Consistenly very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2011We visit Cororando Island for a long weekend every 1-3 years and always begin our first night with our required first dinner at the Boathouse, which we have been doing since 1985. It never disappoints, menu or service. We always reserve well in advance to insure a harbor view seat. Some reviews suggest service is lacking but just book you dinner by 7PM and you'll be fine.Special Features:
- We think they're resting onDenWPVIPDined on 8/23/2011We think they're resting on their laurels. The 'special' of seared scallops was very mediocre. A tired, bored chef yields boring food. There is no way this meal was worth what we paid for it.Special Features:
- Nice Birthday EventOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2011Our visit was a for a birthday occassion with 11 people. The service was excellent and made the birthday very memorable. While we were expecting exceptional food quality, we were somewhat disappointed and felt the food was just ok, more like you'd find when attending a conference in a hotel. The ambiance was fantastice and being along the water made it terrific.
- our waitress Carol was superOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2011our waitress Carol was super sweet and nice to us. we're very enjoy our meal and view thank youSpecial Features:
- Delicious food with great viewlove2travel1VIPDined on 8/13/2011My husband and I went there for dinner with another couple before going to see a play. We sat outside and the weather was perfect. Two of us had the halibut, one had the bacon wrapped prawns, and the 4th person had the scallops. They were all very delicious. The view is hard to beat and our waitress was polite and attentive. The house wine was good too. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Superb food. The view wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2011Superb food. The view was phenomenal. Expensive, but worth the occasional splurge.Special Features:
- Love the Boathouse!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2011We travel on business to San Diego each year and never miss our one night at the Boathouse. We continue to bring friends with us each year and are never disappointed. So glad we found it! Love it! The food is so good, and its romantic and fun.Special Features:
- thank you MatthewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2011this was a great place for our anniversary dinner. our server was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and things to do. the food was great and the key lime cheesecake was amazing!!!! thank you everyone!!!Special Features:
- The the food is good but theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2010The the food is good but the recipes need to be updated...The menu is very similar to the Chart House or Rusty Pilican circa 1985. This will not prevent me from returning, but...Special Features:
- It was nice. We went for resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2010It was nice. We went for resturant week. The waiter was very nice and they were all very accomadating. Nothing spectacular though.
- Great Food! Our waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2010Great Food! Our waitress was so attentive and friendly - we loved it and will be backSpecial Features:
- This place is good for weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2010This place is good for weekend dining. the service was good and the staff was friendly. Would go there again.Special Features:
- Can't beat the historicalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2009Can't beat the historical atmosphere, and the fantastic feeling you get being in a place this old. It's pretty and nice, and the waiters are usually pretty good. Coronado is a special place--worth the trip. Go for a walk in downtown Coronado afterwards and if you're lucky, Nado Gelato will still be open!Special Features: