132 The Embarcadero
(between Mission & Howard)
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: 4157778688x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm,
Dinner: Sunday:5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary European, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Yuko Kajino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chaya offers specialty catering off-site. They work with each client individually and prepare menus to each client’s personal liking. If you have any questions about special events feel free to contact our Event Manager, Matthew Lamos at 415-777-8688 or thru Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: Wine Sundays, every Sunday evening. We are offering a 50% off of our entire wine list.
A word from Chaya Brasserie
Renowned for serving innovative cuisine that blends European and Asian flavors, CHAYA Brasserie has been tempting palates in San Francisco for the last 12 years. With the culinary expertise of Executive Chef Yuko Kajino at the helm, CHAYA Brasserie brings the restaurant’s Euro-Asian cooking to a comfortable, business casual atmosphere. The two combined rooms offer magnificent views from every seat in the restaurant that sweep from the Ferry Building to the Bay Bridge. The main dining room offers a lively bar/dining area and the more serene carpeted dining room offers a more private setting as well as a sushi bar and a glass sushi table, both reserved for reservation or drop-in guests. Chaya Brasserie is known for top quality Sushi, innovative cuisine, stunning design, and superb service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chaya Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (120)fit for foodies (86)special occasion (82)romantic (53)good for groups (49)great for lunch (37)neighborhood gem (34)great for outdoor dining (33)hot spot (27)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (22)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (9)Show More
- Will dine here again.Taster2VIPDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant was near the hotel we were staying in. This is the second time we have dined here. The food is very good, not overly seasoned or salty. One can taste the food and not be overwhelmed by the sauce. We will be back again.Special Features:
- Great California cousineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014This restaurant has a great mix of California and seafood dishes. Unfortunately they removed the Ahi tuna roll from the menu - this was our favourite dish! The view of the Bay bridge is great from the restaurant, especially at night. Parking is difficult in this area.Special Features:
- Not so goodLucieneVIPDined on 7/24/2014It was one of the worst sushis I ever had. The cod was good.
- Great place!FoodieDined on 7/24/2014I took my 3 friends here from New York, and they said they've never had such fresh amazing sushi! We are all foodies and loved our choices exept for 2. The risotto with bay scallops was very bland and boring, and the lobster roll appetizer was not a hit :/ wish we would have ordered more sushi and sashimi instead! Our waiter was the best, and the overall feel and decor along with the lighting was spectacular! I let them face the bay bridge and the light installation which they loved! Absolutely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RodAVIPDined on 7/24/2014The food was excellent and there is a great view of the Bay Bridge. The menu has choices of sashimi, seafood and steaks. We will go again when we're visiting SF.
- Check out my blogchefbourgetDined on 7/22/2014you can go to my blog to see what I had to say about this restaurant. gourmetbourget.wordpress.comSpecial Features:
- Chaya Brasserie - Great Experiencetwhitaker33Dined on 7/16/2014I took an important business associate to Chaya and had a fantastic experience. Great seat with a terrific view of the Embarcadero and the food was impressive. Yes, it was on the high end, so expect that, but you get what you pay for in a great way. I also LOVED the convenience of valet parking...terrific all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food.CDFoodieDined on 7/11/2014High quality and extremely tasty. The flavors really come out nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!lhalseyDined on 7/11/2014I just returned from my first visit to San Francisco. Among the many things I did while in town, was dinner at Chaya Brasserie! I was looking for a great restaurant that overlooked the Bay Bridge, and this place gave me just that! We requested a table on the glass and they delivered. We asked for menu suggestions and they didn't disappoint! Our wait staff was VERY attentive and the food was to die for! Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant for anyone to check out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectDineDontEatDined on 7/11/2014We ordered the four compartment lunch - sumptuous. Sat outside on a perfect, sunny afternoon day with a glass of rose. Just perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch for 2 + 1alwaysroom4dessertDined on 7/10/2014My wife and I both had the 4 option lunch box. We both enjoyed the salad, tempura ahi, duck, and sushi. A hot from the oven, crispy bread pudding was a perfect way to end our meal.Special Features:
- delicious!SFdining4usDined on 7/5/2014We were very pleased with our choice of this restaurant! The food was absolutely delicious and the chocolate croissant bread pudding was one the best desserts I've ever had! The service was very good. We sat near the window with a lovely view of the Bay Bridge. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchjdnoVIPDined on 7/2/2014The service was great. Not intrusive but attentive. The food was good as usual. Portions were just right for lunch. The seats by the window offer a nice view of the bay and some people watching.Special Features:
- Great spot, slow to bring food outOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/30/2014Was there for a business dinner so it was a little bothersome that we had to wait >30 min between courses Otherwise, food was good, attractive and service was politeSpecial Features:
- Nice dinner nice viewHancock5590VIPDined on 6/26/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Chaya but were disappointed that they were out of the sole that we both originally ordered. This was the reason we came here because our friends said the sole was exceptional. We had the lobster dumplings for an appetizer which were good but not great and then ordered sushi rolls for our entree in lieu of the sole. My wagyu beef roll was excellent. My husband had a nice spicy shrimp roll as well. After getting the first glass of wine ordered wrong, they brought out the bottle to confirm it was what I ordered. I think I expected a finer dining experience for the price but the atmosphere was great, the view great and the food very good but not exceptional.Special Features:
- WonderfulJulieRDined on 6/25/2014I had a fantastic meal and enjoyed the wonderful ambiance. Chaya has a fantastic view of the Bay Bridge (on a clear night)! Waiter was a tad bit snooty but I would absolutely return back because the food was the amazing. Had three courses and left very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutdatedSFFoodie77Dined on 6/18/2014I used to love Chaya but I feel like this place is kind of dated. The sushi was uninteresting and the meat was oversauced. Really disappointing.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/18/2014Had sushi while my dad has the sole - both were amazing! Great wine, great service - will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine2dineWine2dineDined on 6/15/2014Crowded, noisey Servers too chatty so people waitedSpecial Features:
- Great view and SF locationWinedaddysrVIPDined on 6/14/2014We have eaten at Chaya at least 3 other times. Service is always excellent. The menu was not as Mediterranean as past experiences. It seemed more Asian and a bit stark. I would like to see more of a selection but the food we had was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a fantastic viewElaymanDined on 6/12/2014I really loved the menu. With sushi and french inspired entrees, you can definitely find something you'll enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a special occasionFoodFanDined on 6/7/2014We celebrated a family birthday dinner here and everyone had a great time. The food was exceptional -- everything from sweetbreads to salmon was cooked perfectly. The view of the bridge, once the sun set, was perfect for our out of town guests as well as the locals. Chocolate croissant bread pudding and ice cream sandwiches were amazing. I recommend requesting the side room away from the bar if you want to be able to hold a conversation without yelling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GEMMaximillianeVIPDined on 6/6/2014Will certainly return for dining - our host was amazing - luv your seafood & dessert menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaya was Amazing!FoodsmythingDined on 6/5/2014I have been wanting to try Chaya for a while and I was not disappointed. First of all we arrived early enough to score a table next to the window. The view of the harbor and Bay Bridge was incredible. We ordered a Yellowtail appetizer, a salad and the Tuna Ahi entree. All were delicious. We had the banana cake dessert which was good, but a bit overbaked for my taste. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in SF?Chris94507Dined on 6/2/2014This is as good a restaurant as I have ever been too. Naval Suchi appetizer, and clam chowder were As good as any my any in Asia according to my Chinese/Korean guests. I agree. Blacked cod was good, but not awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1467 reviews are from the Chaya Brasserie reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Michael was very accommodating to our needs. I truly am impressed with the seafood platter-- all the items were fresh, the scallops were sweet, the amaebi was delicious, and the scallop ceviche was fantastic! I was disappointed because of the seating policy, i.e., all need be present to be seated. Is this even on the website? Do all restaurants advertise their seating policy on their website? If so, I will avoid these restaurants. We are paying no matter what!Special Features:
- Fantastic!IceT3Dined on 5/22/2014I had been to Chaya Venice years ago for business and loved it. So when I discovered Chaya Brasserie here in SF, I decided to take my wife there for her birthday - best decision I've made all year. :) The staff was super friendly and thoughtful. I asked on OpenTable if we could get a view of the Bay Bridge for the occasion. The place was packed and they could have put us in a good enough spot just to turn tables; instead they waited for the best seat in the house to open and the view was SPECTACULAR. Our waiter was funny & friendly (reminded us of actress Judy Greer) and the service was impeccable. And the food. The FOOD. Unbelievable! I had the duck breast, wife had Black Cod and we were in heaven. I totally recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So GOODOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/22/2014Have been here several times before and this restaurant doesn't disappoint; the view is San Francisco at it's finestSpecial Features:
- Great asian infusion restaurantDaniDined on 5/18/2014Great view, ambiance, and selection of food. Everything from sushi to french inspired cuisine. Highly recommend reservations.Special Features:
- you can do betterdieterVIPDined on 5/11/2014We visited Chaya for a Mother's Day dinner with a party of 4. We have dined @ Chaya a half dozen times over the past 3 - 4 years. Overall, both the service and food quality has declined ... while the prices make Chaya a relatively expensive meal. The views and ambience remain great. If you want the view and are willing to pay ~ $100 per person (with drinks), I would suggest going to Waterbar across the street.Special Features:
- An Outstanding Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Great experience overall for the whole family. My mother thoroughly enjoyed her brunch experience. Bathroom had only one stall working while we were there, making it a bit crowded.Special Features:
- Bay BrunchRappongi27Dined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch for 6 was wonderful. Of course, the perfect weather made the view of the bay that much more lovely. There was a special menu allowing one to choose one appetizer, one main course and one dessert for a fixed price. All were extremely good -- personally, I went with the french toast (best I've had in many years), made with some kind of Japanese sweet bread and served with a small fruit salad, very good whipped cream and maple syrup; the duck confit hash, which was very rich and the envy of the table; and the bread pudding. And, I must say the coffee was great. I cannot speak to the regular menu, but this was very good. That said, a special shout out to the bar -- best bloody mary in years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in Fi-DiKitkristaDined on 5/9/2014This is another among many local restaurants that do not seem to understand that a business lunch shouldn't be at the leisure of the restaurant staff. Seated immediately at 1, had a reservation but didn't need one, the restaurant was about half full. We got water after 10 minutes, put in a drink order at 15, ordered our meal at 25 minutes and started eating near the 40 minute mark. It is great to have a relaxing lunch but I'd like time to actually eat it. The staff were nice but very slow. The food was good to very good. I'll try it at night when I have more time on my hands.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014The food was really good. But, for the price I rather go elsewhere for better service.Special Features:
- What a disapointmentMichDined on 5/1/2014I have dine here several times before and I definitely had good experiences in all levels which is why I came back. However this will be my last time, both the appetizer and the main course were very disappointing in terms of taste and presentation. I had the ahi tuna tartar which was not soft and tasted like tuna salad and the black cod which was over cooked very salty and just very ordinary in the bad way. I did not finish both dishes which is a big sign for me, it was not tasty...sorry. Same was with the desert. The only thought that came to my mind was this was the chef's free night. Waiters were not as professional as you would expect. Did they change management?Special Features:
- Allergic Reaction. Nearly died.MarieVIPDined on 5/1/2014I am severely allergic to milk and nuts and told the staff very clearly before ordering their fish dish. Soon there after I went into anaphylactic shock and was rushed to the emergency room. I do not recommend this establishment for those with allergies. If you have no allergies then this message does not apply to you. Wish they were more serious about allergies.
- Corporate events galoreMoflickaVIPDined on 5/1/2014Lots of corporate events that are loud, the steak tartare was the only good thing, poor execution on the rest. Great view of the bay bridge if you can get it.Special Features:
- judithVIPDined on 4/29/2014I was unable to join my guests, so I polled them for a reaction to share. Two diners. Two divergent opinions. One thought her food close to inedible. The other liked what she ordered. Wish I could share a personal reaction but I can't.
- AwesomeekoningDined on 4/26/2014Great food, excellent service, breathtaking views! A SF must. So impressed!
- Great food and drinkJanrcVIPDined on 4/26/2014Maybe it was starting at the bar with the Blood Orange Margarita but this is my second great meal at this restaurant. This time I figured out they have a nice happy hour. Great calamari appetizer. Tuna tartare was delicious. I tasted my husbands cod and that was tasty and I don't even like cod! I'm sure we'll be back.Special Features: