132 The Embarcadero
(between Mission & Howard)
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thechaya.com/
- Phone: 4157778688x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm,
Dinner: Sunday:5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary European, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Yuko Kajino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chaya offers specialty catering off-site. They work with each client individually and prepare menus to each client’s personal liking. If you have any questions about special events feel free to contact our Event Manager, Matthew Lamos at 415-777-8688 or thru Email at: email@example.com.
- Special Events: Wine Sundays, every Sunday evening. We are offering a 50% off of our entire wine list.
A word from Chaya Brasserie
Renowned for serving innovative cuisine that blends European and Asian flavors, CHAYA Brasserie has been tempting palates in San Francisco for the last 12 years. With the culinary expertise of Executive Chef Yuko Kajino at the helm, CHAYA Brasserie brings the restaurant’s Euro-Asian cooking to a comfortable, business casual atmosphere. The two combined rooms offer magnificent views from every seat in the restaurant that sweep from the Ferry Building to the Bay Bridge. The main dining room offers a lively bar/dining area and the more serene carpeted dining room offers a more private setting as well as a sushi bar and a glass sushi table, both reserved for reservation or drop-in guests. Chaya Brasserie is known for top quality Sushi, innovative cuisine, stunning design, and superb service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chaya Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (125)fit for foodies (83)special occasion (80)romantic (59)good for groups (50)great for lunch (39)great for outdoor dining (33)neighborhood gem (30)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (25)notable wine list (25)late-night find (10)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Fusion AdventurepetiteFOODIEDined on 8/16/2014I really enjoyed the ambience at Chaya. It was lively but not overwhelming. The maître de was very accommodating and provided us a great booth even after we arrived late. My favorite entree was the duck. The sushi elements were a nice touch of Asian influence but I wish there was more of a crossover between the two cuisines. Overall, I'm glad I made the choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Nice touristy location but food is very average esp for the price.
- Nice View, Good FoodTony123VIPDined on 8/9/2014The food was good, and the view was perfect. I brought guests who were visiting from Italy, and they enjoyed it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- unremarkablepj126Dined on 8/9/2014Pricy for the quality. Fish and veggies were slightly over cooked, sushi was unremarkable and 2x market price for sustainable sushi. Waiter was stoic, but got the job done. Seems like you pay for the location and view, not the food.Special Features:
- Just great... again!MattlocksfDined on 8/5/2014Second time here for birthday celebrations (mature ones) and will definitely return for more in December. Impeccable food and service, and friendly fellow diners (I know, lucky) make for a pleasantly unforgettable meal. I can't say enough about Chaya, but I am doing this on my cell phone. Thank you to everyone at Chaya for another great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationBirthdaygirlDined on 8/2/2014Great food and atmosphere! We celebrated a birthday and althought the place was full we felt like the only party there. We were very happy with the service and food. I originally asked for a window seat but the window was full, but the manager showed us a few other options that worked out perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!NikinSFDined on 8/1/2014We were very happy with the food (especially the tuna tartare!) and jello pudding! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!!!sk2014Dined on 8/1/2014Chaya came highly recommended by several of my San Francisco friends. As an out of towner, I relied on their recommendation, along with other reviews here on OpenTable. The food did not disappoint!! The service was pretty good, the server forgot a couple of items that we ordered. We had to remind him and then he brought them out. The view of the waterfront was a beautiful backdrop to our dining experience. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Chaya becomes a tradition...ClaudiaNetherland1Dined on 7/30/2014We have recently visit Chaya for the third time in our lifes. Every time if we are travelling to San Francisco, we have dinner at Chaya's. Nine years ago I visit Chaya's on a business trip for the first time. And made a promise to my husband that I invite him within a year to travel with me to San Francisco, especially to have dinner with me at Chaya's. And so we did a year later. Now, eight years later, we again visit with our son Chaya's. And surprisingly we again fell in love with the food, the ambiance and the service. So for us, due to the outstanding quality of Chaya's food and ambiance, Chaya has become a real tradition....Special Features:
- Good Business DinnerFoodieChapVIPDined on 7/29/2014Get a bottle of your favorite wine and pay the $25 corkage fee. Pick off the menu a variety of sashimi, sushi, or land fare. It's all quite tasty. I did wish the table was a bit bigger for the three of us. The restaurant is small and seating is compact. Service is a bit above average. Our server was as attentive as other places have been and he really didn't know how to pour wine.Special Features:
- Edible, but not worth the pricesf1777Dined on 7/26/2014The food: We had sushi rolls and squid for starters. The rolls were quite nice, but nothing special at all. The squid tough and bland, and really did not go with the tangy tomato sauce. We also got a complimentary sweetcorn soup which just tasted like canned sweetcorn. The main courses were significantly better. I had the duck and my girlfriend the salmon (I think), both of which were very tasty (although perhaps not tasty enough for the price) The interior: Comfortable and pleasant The service: Generally good. Our food was substantially delayed, but the manager came out and explained the situation to us and took our starters off the bill. Mistakes happen and they handled it well, so don't really fault them.Special Features:
- I will never come back againChayaRegulationVIPDined on 7/26/2014They were not nice to our group and kept avoiding seating us multiple times, although the restaurant was empty. Once seated the level of service on the restaurant part (the bar was great) was very disappointing. I plan on not returning ever again and will advocate again this place when sending recommendations around Embarcadero. I have never seen a place with so many rules and stupid formality to guests. Don't get me wrong, I've dined in multiple Michelin top restaurants around the globe and this place definitely needs to improve it's customer service.
- Will dine here again.Taster2VIPDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant was near the hotel we were staying in. This is the second time we have dined here. The food is very good, not overly seasoned or salty. One can taste the food and not be overwhelmed by the sauce. We will be back again.Special Features:
- Great California cousineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014This restaurant has a great mix of California and seafood dishes. Unfortunately they removed the Ahi tuna roll from the menu - this was our favourite dish! The view of the Bay bridge is great from the restaurant, especially at night. Parking is difficult in this area.Special Features:
- Not so goodLucieneVIPDined on 7/24/2014It was one of the worst sushis I ever had. The cod was good.
- Great place!FoodieDined on 7/24/2014I took my 3 friends here from New York, and they said they've never had such fresh amazing sushi! We are all foodies and loved our choices exept for 2. The risotto with bay scallops was very bland and boring, and the lobster roll appetizer was not a hit :/ wish we would have ordered more sushi and sashimi instead! Our waiter was the best, and the overall feel and decor along with the lighting was spectacular! I let them face the bay bridge and the light installation which they loved! Absolutely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RodAVIPDined on 7/24/2014The food was excellent and there is a great view of the Bay Bridge. The menu has choices of sashimi, seafood and steaks. We will go again when we're visiting SF.
- Check out my blogchefbourgetDined on 7/22/2014you can go to my blog to see what I had to say about this restaurant. gourmetbourget.wordpress.comSpecial Features:
- Chaya Brasserie - Great Experiencetwhitaker33Dined on 7/16/2014I took an important business associate to Chaya and had a fantastic experience. Great seat with a terrific view of the Embarcadero and the food was impressive. Yes, it was on the high end, so expect that, but you get what you pay for in a great way. I also LOVED the convenience of valet parking...terrific all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food.CDFoodieDined on 7/11/2014High quality and extremely tasty. The flavors really come out nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!lhalseyDined on 7/11/2014I just returned from my first visit to San Francisco. Among the many things I did while in town, was dinner at Chaya Brasserie! I was looking for a great restaurant that overlooked the Bay Bridge, and this place gave me just that! We requested a table on the glass and they delivered. We asked for menu suggestions and they didn't disappoint! Our wait staff was VERY attentive and the food was to die for! Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant for anyone to check out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectDineDontEatDined on 7/11/2014We ordered the four compartment lunch - sumptuous. Sat outside on a perfect, sunny afternoon day with a glass of rose. Just perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch for 2 + 1alwaysroom4dessertDined on 7/10/2014My wife and I both had the 4 option lunch box. We both enjoyed the salad, tempura ahi, duck, and sushi. A hot from the oven, crispy bread pudding was a perfect way to end our meal.Special Features:
- delicious!SFdining4usDined on 7/5/2014We were very pleased with our choice of this restaurant! The food was absolutely delicious and the chocolate croissant bread pudding was one the best desserts I've ever had! The service was very good. We sat near the window with a lovely view of the Bay Bridge. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchjdnoVIPDined on 7/2/2014The service was great. Not intrusive but attentive. The food was good as usual. Portions were just right for lunch. The seats by the window offer a nice view of the bay and some people watching.Special Features:
- Great spot, slow to bring food outOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/30/2014Was there for a business dinner so it was a little bothersome that we had to wait >30 min between courses Otherwise, food was good, attractive and service was politeSpecial Features:
- Nice dinner nice viewHancock5590VIPDined on 6/26/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Chaya but were disappointed that they were out of the sole that we both originally ordered. This was the reason we came here because our friends said the sole was exceptional. We had the lobster dumplings for an appetizer which were good but not great and then ordered sushi rolls for our entree in lieu of the sole. My wagyu beef roll was excellent. My husband had a nice spicy shrimp roll as well. After getting the first glass of wine ordered wrong, they brought out the bottle to confirm it was what I ordered. I think I expected a finer dining experience for the price but the atmosphere was great, the view great and the food very good but not exceptional.Special Features:
- WonderfulJulieRDined on 6/25/2014I had a fantastic meal and enjoyed the wonderful ambiance. Chaya has a fantastic view of the Bay Bridge (on a clear night)! Waiter was a tad bit snooty but I would absolutely return back because the food was the amazing. Had three courses and left very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1476 reviews are from the Chaya Brasserie reviews archive.
- OutdatedSFFoodie77Dined on 6/18/2014I used to love Chaya but I feel like this place is kind of dated. The sushi was uninteresting and the meat was oversauced. Really disappointing.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/18/2014Had sushi while my dad has the sole - both were amazing! Great wine, great service - will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine2dineWine2dineDined on 6/15/2014Crowded, noisey Servers too chatty so people waitedSpecial Features:
- Great view and SF locationWinedaddysrVIPDined on 6/14/2014We have eaten at Chaya at least 3 other times. Service is always excellent. The menu was not as Mediterranean as past experiences. It seemed more Asian and a bit stark. I would like to see more of a selection but the food we had was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a fantastic viewElaymanDined on 6/12/2014I really loved the menu. With sushi and french inspired entrees, you can definitely find something you'll enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a special occasionFoodFanDined on 6/7/2014We celebrated a family birthday dinner here and everyone had a great time. The food was exceptional -- everything from sweetbreads to salmon was cooked perfectly. The view of the bridge, once the sun set, was perfect for our out of town guests as well as the locals. Chocolate croissant bread pudding and ice cream sandwiches were amazing. I recommend requesting the side room away from the bar if you want to be able to hold a conversation without yelling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GEMMaximillianeVIPDined on 6/6/2014Will certainly return for dining - our host was amazing - luv your seafood & dessert menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaya was Amazing!FoodsmythingDined on 6/5/2014I have been wanting to try Chaya for a while and I was not disappointed. First of all we arrived early enough to score a table next to the window. The view of the harbor and Bay Bridge was incredible. We ordered a Yellowtail appetizer, a salad and the Tuna Ahi entree. All were delicious. We had the banana cake dessert which was good, but a bit overbaked for my taste. I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in SF?Chris94507Dined on 6/2/2014This is as good a restaurant as I have ever been too. Naval Suchi appetizer, and clam chowder were As good as any my any in Asia according to my Chinese/Korean guests. I agree. Blacked cod was good, but not awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Michael was very accommodating to our needs. I truly am impressed with the seafood platter-- all the items were fresh, the scallops were sweet, the amaebi was delicious, and the scallop ceviche was fantastic! I was disappointed because of the seating policy, i.e., all need be present to be seated. Is this even on the website? Do all restaurants advertise their seating policy on their website? If so, I will avoid these restaurants. We are paying no matter what!Special Features:
- Fantastic!IceT3Dined on 5/22/2014I had been to Chaya Venice years ago for business and loved it. So when I discovered Chaya Brasserie here in SF, I decided to take my wife there for her birthday - best decision I've made all year. :) The staff was super friendly and thoughtful. I asked on OpenTable if we could get a view of the Bay Bridge for the occasion. The place was packed and they could have put us in a good enough spot just to turn tables; instead they waited for the best seat in the house to open and the view was SPECTACULAR. Our waiter was funny & friendly (reminded us of actress Judy Greer) and the service was impeccable. And the food. The FOOD. Unbelievable! I had the duck breast, wife had Black Cod and we were in heaven. I totally recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So GOODOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/22/2014Have been here several times before and this restaurant doesn't disappoint; the view is San Francisco at it's finestSpecial Features: