Loft Bar and Bistro
90 S. Second St
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Loft Bar and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loftbarandbistro.com/
- Phone: 4082910677
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 11:00am - 1:30am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Adrian J. Mullen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Loft has catering available in the direct vicinity of the restaurant. We create custom menus specifically tailored to your theme or needs. We can either perform full service or we can drop-off. For drop-offs we can also do set-up and break-down with a service charge. Lease refer to our banquet menus to give you an idea of what we offer. Bear in mind some of our banquet dishes are not available for offsite catering. Pricing is determined by what type of function you are hosting.
- Entertainment: Loft has live entertainment and DJs at scheduled times. They are available to hire for any special event (wedding reception, holiday party, birthday parties, etc).
Our brainstormer pub quiz is a lot of fun with prizes for the winners. Our jazz night is a wonderful way to relax. The DJs play a variety of music to listen or dance to.
We also have 3 HD TVs to observe sporting events.
Tuesday: 7:00pm: brainstormer pub-quiz
Thursday: live jazz: 7:00pm to 10:00pm, 10:15pm to close dj & dancing;
Friday: 10:30pm to close: DJ and dancing;
Saturday: 10:30pm to close: DJ and dancing;
- Special Events: Loft Happy Hour
Everyday Monday-Friday 3PM to 7PM
- Cross Street: San Fernando
- Public Transit: Lightrail runs in front of Loft, exit at Santa Clara Station on 1st St. or 2nd St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are many places to park within walking distance from us. The surface parking lots that are closest to us, City Park, do not except any validations. The closest parking lot that we validate for is Pavilion Garage, just past 2nd St. and San Fernando on your right. Safeway also has there own garage, bewteen 2nd St and 3rd, but you must get validation from Safeway. We also validate for the multi-level garage between 2nd and 3rd on San Carlos and 4th St garage on San Fernando.
A word from Loft Bar and Bistro
Loft is American bistro dining at it's finest in a chic, relaxed atmosphere. We serve lunch and dinner daily with an added brunch menu for Sundays. We have a wonderful assortment of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, steaks, seafood, pastas with something for everyone on the menu. Some of our signature dishes include crispy calamari, carpaccio, roast artichoke, NY steak, meatloaf;etc. Loft's wine list feature California wines that pair well with all our cuisine. Our spacious bars are stocked with premium liquors, specialty cocktails, signature martinis and mojitos. Our restaurant is located in the heart of downtown in close proximity to the convention center and all the major hotels.Continued
Loft is available for private parties, corporate events, meetings, dinners, luncheons, with seating up to 250.All dining areas can be reserved privately or the entire restaurant for a buyout.
Loft is available for private parties, corporate events, meetings, dinners, luncheons, with seating up to 250.All dining areas can be reserved privately or the entire restaurant for a buyout.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Loft Bar and Bistro - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Loft Bar and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (7)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (3)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)Show More
- Got a unwelcomed callCorneliaDined on 12/8/2013I had a reservation for 20 people and 2 hours before the reservation, I got a call saying I can still come at 6pm, but I had to be finished by 7:30pm because of a private party. I thought that was rude on managements part. He advised me he was doing it so I could have time to make reservations somewhere else. We ended up going and once we got there the waitress gave us a Happy Hour menu that read Happy Hour was EVERYDAY 3-7pm. We were there before 7pm and some of the guest wanted food on the Happy Hour menu... they advised they could not get those items for Happy Hour prices on food, only on drinks. Those guest did not order food. Service was rushed. food was good, we stayed past 7:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for happy hourSJfoodieVIPDined on 12/3/2013went to Loft Bar and Bistro for happy hour and was not disappointed. Food was amazing and came in large portion sizes. Service excellent.
- Nice people...bad foodDisappointedDinerDined on 11/19/2013I had not been to this restaurant before and thought it looked interesting online so I gave it a try with some colleagues and a customer. The people were very nice and competent. The waiter, the hostess, the manager were all very kind and upbeat. It's just that the food was so disappointing and the atmosphere a bit contrived. I rated the food "fair" not because anything was wrong with it or that we had problems. It was just so disappointing for a downtown restaurant I couldn't rate it anything bu "fair".
- Good food with lots of greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2013Good food with lots of great choices on the menu. Happy hour 7 days a week, how can you beat that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous jobjimluvzcatDined on 11/1/2013Maria and her team did a great job welcoming us, walking us to the table, and listening. We had a great experience. My client enjoyed their first experience as well. The food was fresh, drinks kept full, and we felt well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit For the Finest...Perfexion07Dined on 10/27/2013Everyone from the owner, Kam to our server Tracy were amazing. My sorority had a chapter reunion on this past Sunday & everyone thought everything was amazing. We would definitely come back! Staff went out of their way for us...we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American food downtownMaggie1076Dined on 9/25/2013The Loft has a menu with quite a few nice selections. It's decent American food on a hip, industrial atmosphere. Think brick and exposed pipes. It has a lovely dining outdoor patio and the bar get lively Thursday-Saturday. Make a reservation if you want to sit on the outdoor patio. Great place for food/drinks before a comedy show at the Improv next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual tasty diningJoeyDined on 9/21/2013Very good food and nice helpful staff. The short ribs were excellent.Special Features:
- Great service from Staff!mhansonDined on 8/24/2013Menu was large and had lots of options we liked - both small plates and full entrees. Starter was steak bites were slightly overcooked (ordered medium rare - it was medium to well done), cabernet dipping sauce was great. My wife and I both had salmon and it was cooked to perfection - Blackened and Pesto. Also they had very reasonable wine prices - a bottle of Ridge 3 Valleys Zin (retails for about $25-27) was only $45. We will definitely go back next time we're in Downtown San Jose particularly for wine.Special Features:
- First visit with friendsKCeatsVIPDined on 8/10/2013This was our first time at at the Loft Bar and Bistro for ourselves and friends. We'll all be back very soon. Great food and service and the ambiance was coolSpecial Features:
- Good choice for a pleasant mealmwhiteVIPDined on 8/7/2013Don't go looking for a foodie experience but if you're looking for a nice meal with a good "loft" like ambience this is it. Entrees are a bit pricy but there is a wide selection of cuisines and price points esp the small plate options. I was visiting the area and invited my daughter with a few of her friends here and they all loved it. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dining. TookSkippyDined on 7/24/2013Great outdoor dining. Took a group of 8 and service and food was excellent. Many choice that fit each individual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- By far the *best* find in San JoseOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2013I recently enjoyed lunch at Loft during a business trip. Food was FANTASTIC, service OUTSTANDING. The business associate that I was traveling with and I enjoyed it so much that we returned the following evening for dinner. Absolutely recommended to any one and every one who is interested in good food, great prices and fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodlbkerVIPDined on 7/15/2013Don't let the old wooden tables and lack of linen table clothes and candles keep you away. The food is fantastic. Had ahi tuna and scallop appetizer and meal. Quality of seafood with delicate sauces was amazing. Vegetables were fresh and perfectly cooked. Would definitely return in more casual clothes next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great weekend lunch spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/14/2013Great weekend lunch spot. Conversation possible in quiet interior while bigger party out on patio.Special Features:
- Lunch and ConversationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2013Lunch was perfect for conversation. Great ambiance and food. We all had a delightful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Restaurant to RememberMuttiBDined on 6/28/2013Nice atmosphere, friendly service at the bar and at the table, great food and not too much background noise (we were eating on a Friday night between 6 and 8:00pm). The only suggestion we have is for sun shades on the upper level western windows - even on cooler days, the sun will set in the west and aim right at the eyes of several diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was goodChrisfromvicDined on 6/26/2013There was nothing wrong with our dinner here. Just nothing notable either. Might go back if I were in the area.Special Features:
- LOFTY EXPERIENCEDrHowFunVIPDined on 6/24/2013The four of us really enjoyed our lunch upstairs in the loft. The salmon ceviche and Gazpacho were a perfect start to a summertime luncheon. It continued to get better with Shrimp Tacos and Chinese Chicken Salads. You'll enjoy this place. Service was excellent and the bill was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in downtown San JoseDanRVIPDined on 6/1/2013The Loft offers an extensive menu in a bare bones setting. The food is very good and the service is attentive. i had the chicken and prawns piccata. The chicken breast was perfectly cooked as were the 3 large shrimp and the sauce was delicious. I highly recommend this spot!Special Features:
- Good HangoutOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2013Easy, casual & convenient---the Loft Bar & Bistro is a comfortable hangout for friends. We did a impromptu friends an family gathering after an SJSU event and there was something for everyone on the menu. That large menu is a bit of a liability because everything was okay, but nothing really special. I suppose after a couple of cocktails, the food is secondary. But as a welcoming space to gather with your peeps, the Loft was a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2013I've eaten here a few times now and have always had a great experience! I've been here for a special occasion, with a group, and I've always had good service and the food is delicious! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Have to give it another tryGraymatterVIPDined on 5/7/2013I can't give a quality review because we came in late mid-week not long before closing so place was not busy. It was a late diner after a long day, I just had a salad, asked or dressing on the side, it did not arrive as I requested but turned out to be ok. I usually ask for dressing on the side to avoid the chance the kitchen may "drown" the salad in dressing. This was not the case. Dressing was just right therefor I was ok with the error. Friend had the meatloaf which he was quite pleased and content. If I were a local , I would try again. But because I was traveling to the area for work, there are too many places in the area I would also like to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been to the Loft lotssheilazcVIPDined on 4/5/2013I've been to the Loft lots of times, but I have never had such a horrible experience. The waitress barely paid attention to us. The food took over 45 minutes to come out (lamb shanks and a pasta dish). The food was then not that great. Then it took an additional 20 minutes to get our check. I was astonished at the poor experience.
- The Loft is a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2013The Loft is a great place to go when you are wanting everyday food with a little creativity and fun. Anyone can make a burger but The Loft does it with style.Special Features:
- Loft Bar and Bistro has beenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2013Loft Bar and Bistro has been a solid, go-to spot of mine in downtown SJ for a while now. If I were to rate the restaurant based on all my visits, the flavors are great, they have a very nice wine selection, the ambiance is perfect for dates, and the service is acceptable. I'd give them four stars. This last visit wasn't great, so that's why the three stars. On this visit, my friend and I agreed that the food was just OK. My grilled marinated skirt steak was tough and chewy, (I ordered it medium) and when they brought our meals out, they didn't bring me a knife to cut my steak with. As a result, we were watching our food get cold while we tried to get the attention of a server to get a steak knife. Finally, someone brought one.Special Features:
- Tasty food, friendly service.mindianerVIPDined on 3/5/2013Tasty food, friendly service. the food is reasonably priced with a varied menu, and the atmosphere is pleasant. It is especially nice if you can get a window table in the upstairs room. I ate here three nights during the film festival, and I was pleased each time.Special Features:
- Really had a great experiencePeterVIPDined on 3/2/2013Really had a great experience here. Wandered by during the day on a walk. Checked out the menu, looked good and decided to book a table. We were not disappointed. Really a nice place in downtown, a short walk from all the hotels. Decor was nice but not overdone, very comfortable atmosphere. Food was great. I had panko-crusted salmon, which was outstanding. My date had salad that was very fresh, nicely made. We shared the crab cake appetizer, which was really good. Nice presentation, food plated well and portions generous. Prices very reasonable for the quality. Service was excellent, and the tiramisu for dessert was one of the best I have had. A great finish to a very nice meal... Hard to go wrong here... Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Prices were obviously raisedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013Prices were obviously raised for the "holiday" but still seemed reasonable without a pre fix (THANK YOU!). We showed for our reservation up and they explained it would be 15 minutes. 35 minutes later we noticed that people who arrived after were being seated. We were finally called to sit and landed a pretty great seat upstairs. Our server seemed busy and unaware of how to handle the crowd. We figured she was most likely new and were forgiving. The food took about 40 minutes to arrive and we were offered another round of wine... that we later had to pay for. Food was decent but you could tell it wasn't their best performance. I'd totally recommend going on a non-holiday evening.Special Features:
- Lunch good. Valentines? Not good.MarkJDined on 2/14/2013We usually really enjoy our lunches at Loft, so we tried the special Valentine's dinner. First alert: The special menu wasn't posted online. We arrived to find a heavy shellfish menu with limited vegetarian options compared to the daily menu. The salmon was just baked (no spices?), and the veggies were under-steamed (I saved them to cook again). Boring. The chicken penne pasta was tasty, though. And the server accommodated an odd request: No pasta in the pasta dish. As usual the bread dipping sauce was delicious. We'll go back, but only for lunch.Special Features:
- A surprise.OrioooVIPDined on 2/13/2013While being from another town, my daughter and I decided to check out open table for suggestions. Very nice people and although it was 2pm, we were treated very well. Our sandwiches were anything but ordinary. I would seek this place out again if in San Jose. Thanks.Special Features:
- Enjoyable DiningflamingflaveDined on 2/12/2013Early 5pm arrival; a handful of people at the bar. Friendly greeting from staff; seated in loft area. Great Chicken Marcela, very nice light crab cakes & large teriyaki scoops on beds of lettuce. Enjoyed happy hour drinks. We were all pleasantly surprised by the flavors of the food and very attentive staff. Would definitely eat there again, if ever back in San Jose.Special Features:
- Small Plates, Big TasteOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/9/2013The small plates menu was full of a delightful and fresh assortment of surf and turf items. Recommend the skewers and crab cakes as well as the spare ribs.Special Features:
- Good food but awkward experience.PetitechouDined on 2/2/2013After hearing so many good things, I was disappointed. When we arrived on time for our 7pm reservation, we were greeted outside which felt awkward. We were told there was a private event downstairs so we were taken upstairs through the outside door then rather being sat inside, we were brought to a table on their covered patio which really felt very removed from the rest of the restaurant. We took a hightop bar table instead. Lastly, when we asked for the fresh fish of the day we were told they didn't have one and they were also sold out of their evening special which suprprised me being that this was 7pm Ina Saturday night. Food itself was good just the experience wasn't. Probably won't be back.
- No room in the dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/2/2013We had made the reservation 10 days before. When we arrived we were told the only seats were at the bar or in the outdoor courtyard. You don't want to sit at a bar with more than 2 people so we chose the courtyard. There was a space heater 3 tables away. We were freezing by the time dinner was over. I do not think a restaurant should accept an OpenTable reservation if they do not have room.
- What a disappointment. We'veMMC001VIPDined on 1/25/2013What a disappointment. We've used Open Table to find some great places. This place, however - give it a BIG miss. Nothing like the photo's. nothing but bar food and it turns into a club after 10. Won't be back and won't ever recommend anyone going there.Special Features:
- Seems to be trying to be bothharpoVIPDined on 1/12/2013Seems to be trying to be both a mid- to upscale restaurant and a sports bar. Unfortunately, those who want either one very likely do not want the other. The food was good, but in a couple of cases arrived lukewarm (not hot), and the service was excellent, but the football-fan noise was occasionally annoying.Special Features:
- New Years Eve - so so foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012We really like the Loft and have been here quite a few times. Unfortunately not this time. We had dinner on NYE. Although the atmosphere was spot on as usual, we were not happy with our food selections from the limited NYE menu. We shared an entre - Chicken/prawn piccata - we found it to be just ok, a little on the bland side. We shared 2 appetizers, the Steak bites - although the steak bites were cooked perfect, again, bland and the dipping sauce equally bland - quite a few pieces were fatty & I was unable to eat them. The other was prawns in some sort of cream sauce - this was AWESOME! I would def. order THAT again. Although our food experience was not up to par this time, I certain have not given up on the Loft will def. return.Special Features:
- Food and service have degeneratedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2012Food and service have degenerated greatly. Used to be a favorite. I will not be back.Special Features:
- Nice place to go before a showDragonflydebDined on 12/30/2012Went to Loft Bar early on a Sunday before a show at the Improv (didn't want to have the Improv dinner, but needed to get there on time). The food was very good, it took a little longer than I anticipated to be served, which on another night could have had an impact on getting to the show. I had the short rib small plate, which was small but quite nice for a smaller eater. The other 3 had the pasta with lamb, which they all loved. Even I liked it, and I am not a lamb lover, but it's a very savory, hearty dish, just great for a cold winter night. The bread was good, and they brought more without being asked. All in all, it was a nice dinner before our show.