555 8th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postebrasserie.com/
- Phone: 2027836060x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Dinner: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Dinner: Sunday: 5:00 - 9:00pm Special Bar Menu: Weekday: 2:00pm - 5:30pm Fri-Sat: 11:30am - Midnight Enclosed courtyard is first come, first served, weather permitting. Reservations are not taken for outside seating
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Marron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact our Private Dining Coordinator, Jennifer McDivitt - email@example.com, with any private dining inquires for Poste. If you are interested in an event with the beautiful Hotel Monaco, please contact our Director of Catering for the hotel, Buddee Clinton - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: It's Poste Roast Season! Find eight to twelve of your best dining companions and join us to experience Chef Marron's wonderfully decadent Poste Roast menus. Have Questions? Please call 202.449.7062 and chat with Jennifer, our private dining coordinator.
A word from Poste
Poste will delight your senses with mouthwatering dishes and an award-winning wine list, in an atmosphere like nowhere else. Chef Dennis Marron serves up modern American Brasserie cuisine emphasizing fresh, local, and organic ingredients...even as local as our backyard! Whether you are enjoying a hand crafted cocktail on our outdoor patio, joining the happy hour crowd in our lively bar area, or cozying up in one of our booths on a winter evening, Poste is sure to have something to fit any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Poste reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (91)fit for foodies (79)special occasion (55)great for lunch (48)vibrant bar scene (44)good for groups (42)neighborhood gem (40)great for brunch (35)hot spot (34)romantic (30)notable wine list (25)late-night find (11)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- I had never eaten at PosteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/30/2008I had never eaten at Poste but it was recommended by a colleague. I had my former college roommate with me whom I hadn't seen in 10 years, so it was a special occasion. The food was outstanding and our waiter was terrific-- very helpful with recommendations. The beef bourguinon was like butter--really, so tender. And the rice pudding was wonderful. I'll definitely go back if I have the chance, and recommend it too.Special Features:
- The service was a bit slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/30/2008The service was a bit slow, but very friendly. Loved the yellowtail appetizer. Very nice ambiance.Special Features:
- This is one of my absoluteHeidiCVIPDined on 4/30/2008This is one of my absolute favorite restaurants. The food is always locally sourced and fresh, and you can taste it.Special Features:
- The food is very good buttingoldVIPDined on 4/29/2008The food is very good but the noise is quite loud - especially if the terrace is closed [it was cold]. Waiter did not notice one knife was missing and not around to replace it.Special Features:
- We had some of the most unusualMollySFDined on 4/29/2008We had some of the most unusual food I've had in a long time, rating right up there with some of the best New York restaurants. I have now been three times, and each meal has been special and very satisfying.Special Features:
- Poste was a terrible valueFlyingSuzVIPDined on 4/27/2008Poste was a terrible value considering the cost. The hostess was rude, the portions were small and the food was really unexceptional. The wait staff were very attentive but it could not make up for the food. When we mentioned that one dish was over-salted, they didn't even react. We would not go back or recommend it except perhaps for a drink on the patio--if you were already in the neighborhood.
- Poste had the makings of aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2008Poste had the makings of a great night out, but the service was horrible. When we arrived, we had to wait 10 minutes before a hostess arrived to greet us-and it was not because there were tons of people waiting to be seated. The restaurant and bar were fairly dead when we arrived. I found it even more telling that there were two bar tenders standing right near us, chatting away, and they never spoke to us as we blatantly were confused about how we should check in when the hostess didn't seem to be returning any time soon. Our food took about 45 minutes to arrive and our waiter didn't check in on us during the interim. He was too busy focused on the tables that were ordering a lot more food and drink even though our bill was over $100.Special Features:
- Excellent menu, not overdone.TheWhizDined on 4/26/2008Excellent menu, not overdone. Several hidden gems and supportive wait staff to point them out.Special Features:
- Bathroom on third floor aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008Bathroom on third floor a bit out of the way. Building is fabulous. Furniture in outdoor space quite cool.
- The maitre D and waiters wereANGRVIPDined on 4/25/2008The maitre D and waiters were very welcoming and solicitous. The french fries were delicious, we had some wieght concious people who enjoyed them so much they had 2 servings and didn;t care about the calories!Special Features:
- Excellent food; creative combinatioOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2008Excellent food; creative combinations without being weird or intimidating. Outstanding.Special Features:
- The weather was perfect, whichJudyDined on 4/25/2008The weather was perfect, which added to our enjoyment of dining outside. We were there for the pre=theater dinner, so it was crowded with young after-work drinkers. Dinner was great and dessert was outstanding.Special Features:
- I hate to say it, but we wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2008I hate to say it, but we were very disappointed at Poste. After wanting to dine at Poste for several months now, we were left feeling overcharged and completely unimpressed. On a good note, the rolls were fantastic. But from there it was all downhill. The service was terrible. The waiter failed to put our order in with the kitchen, and avoided us for at least 30-40 minutes, leaving us without answers. He never came over to explain why we were the only table not being served. A manager finally came over, but by then it was certainly too late. Once we received the food, it was disappointing. It was bland, and given the complete lack of flavor and technique, was far overpriced.Special Features:
- The host - Leon - was verybucklVIPDined on 4/24/2008The host - Leon - was very accomodating and set a great tone for the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent and personable service;VAinVADined on 4/24/2008Excellent and personable service; server knew the menu well and could explain ingredients and preparation methods. Comfortable booth with pillows for us shorter folks. Well-organized wine list with offering in many price ranges. Food was very good and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Extremely over-priced; smallOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/24/2008Extremely over-priced; small entree portion -- ($23 for an entree of six tiny ravioli!). Sophomoric service; chaotic.Special Features:
- The parker house rolls wereOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/23/2008The parker house rolls were outstanding. The service was very attentive. They really do make one of the best burgers anywhere in town.Special Features:
- This is an excellent hotelbetterbegoodDined on 4/23/2008This is an excellent hotel restaurant. I chose it this time because I knew it was one place with excellent food and drink and also quiet enough for my father (deafer than he'll admit) to participate in conversation. I've never been disappointed at Poste.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful anniversaryMLAinDCDined on 4/22/2008We had a wonderful anniversary dinner, the 5 course tasting menu with accompanying wines. Having wines picked by the chef for each course was a revelation for me. Service was friendly and attentive, and chef was very accomodating to my request to substitute something (anything!) for the rabbit entree in the tasting menu.Special Features:
- Disappointingly few vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/22/2008Disappointingly few vegetarian options. Brioche sandwich was tasty but greasy. Fries were tough rather than crispy, and tepid. (Are they frozen and not fresh??) Will not likely return soon.
- I was very disappointed inNishaDined on 4/20/2008I was very disappointed in the service. 1) Our table was set for 2 instead of 3. After 3 attempts to get the waitress to bring us some utensils, we were finally able to get one of the managers to bring it to us. 2) The little jar of jam that was brought to our table was open, and when we asked that it be replaced multiple times from our waitress, it was never brought. Once again, the manager had to bring it over. 3) I ordered the omelette, but specifically asked the waitress if it could be made with peppers or onions instead of mushrooms since I am allergic to them. The omelette came with the mushrooms and had to be sent back. 4) When we asked for water, the waitress filled our glasses only a quarter, it seemed, so we would leave.
- Our server was very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/20/2008Our server was very good, but the people bringing the dishes from the kitchen didn't really have their acts together - had to remind them that there were still side dishes to deliver ("oh, I didn't see that"), and not all the entrées came out at once. Otherwise, a very nice brunch.Special Features:
- It was extremely cold in theOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/20/2008It was extremely cold in the restaurant while we were there. We were seated next to the air conditioning and it was dripping with condensation from the cold. The service was a little haphazard at first, but improved as the meal went on. I appreciate that Poste has a broad and varied brunch menu; many places we considered had few selections and only the usual brunch fare - a french toast, an eggs benedict, an omelet, one sandwich - and Poste definitely goes beyond that.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed the ParmesanKayleeKDined on 4/19/2008We really enjoyed the Parmesan Custard and the Foie Gras. Service was fantastic. We look forward to returning.Special Features:
- The wine list is high qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2008The wine list is high quality and, importantly, not overwhelming with the welcome sight of plenty of wines by the glass. Overall, Poste seems a little like it is its neighbor Zola's cousin except instead of dark and sexy hip, it's light and cheery hip with slightly better cooking (even comparing Poste's Pre-Theater menu to Zola's full-bore) and service.Special Features:
- The food was delicous, theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2008The food was delicous, the ambiance was very nice, the deserts were great. But the waitress rolled her eyes when we told her we wanted the pre-theater menu. Even so, we had to constantly flag her for attention in order to make our curtain time, which we barely did. It's not about the price, it's about things clicking along on time. What gives? If you don't like the pre-theater menu set up, why do you offer one?Special Features:
- I attended for brunch on aOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/19/2008I attended for brunch on a saturday morning. The location was great, we sat out on the patio and it was very quiet. Service was fast and friendly. The food was very delicious.Special Features:
- Absolutely fantastic. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2008Absolutely fantastic. The rabbit and lamb were notable stand-outs - and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Our server, while nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2008Our server, while nice and accomodating, was slow with replenishing drinks, and brought out the wrong drink multiple times. One member of the dining party had to ask for her entree while the rest of the group sat for about 10 minutes. One of the water glasses had some kind of leaf in it as well. The server also rushed us out a bit after we decided not to have desserts--we were content to sit and relax after our meal, but were forced to hurry along. Also, we had requested on Open Table an outside table, not realizing this was not possible to reserve. It would have been nice to receive some kind of notification that an outside table would not be possible before showing up for our reservation.
- Great food experience, outstandingDiegoDined on 4/18/2008Great food experience, outstanding waiter - Mike. Dishes were creative, great eye appeal. Would go back with couple that enjoys a food experience.Special Features:
- the food was good, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2008the food was good, but the portion sizes were a major let down. The soup barely covered the bottom of a very small bowl and the steak was maybe 4 ounces. I left hungry and had a desert.Special Features:
- Food is good but service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/13/2008Food is good but service was extremely slow! We waited over an hour for the appetizer to arrive. We have seen other tables come in, ordered, ate and left before our food arrived. It felt like we have to order something (whether is a drink, or a napkin, or ketchup!) a few times before its delivered! We complained to the manager and he promised he will compensate us in the bill. Nothing happened. Very disappointed with service.Special Features:
- While the food was fine, theOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/13/2008While the food was fine, the service was really quite bad. It was clear that they were understaffed, but they did not appear to care that guests were being ignored or that they were forgetting parts of our order. We had to wait until we were done with our meal before we got a refill on our coffee, after asking three times. And we never got spoons for our coffee after asking twice.
- we were running late due toOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2008we were running late due to traffic and I kept calling to let them know that we would be late for reservation but no one answered the phone. However, they were very understanding when we did arrive late. I just felt uneasy about if our table would still be available. overall a good experience. our waiter then was very accommodating to make sure we got our food in time to get to our theater performance. thank you.Special Features:
- My husband and I had a dissapointinOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/11/2008My husband and I had a dissapointing lunch at Poste last week. We met around noon and were hoping to have a nice lunch together before he went out of town on business for a few days. However, the service was slow and aloof. The whole lunch took 1 1/2 hours and we each only ordered a main dish. We would of liked to have dessert, but given we both had to go back to work that was not possible. It did not matter any way because the server did not ask us if we would like anything else. After waiting for about 10 minutes afte our table was cleared we had to ask for the check. The food was fine, but not worth the cost. Poste was overpriced and the service left you wanting. I will not return.
- Very unique menu, but expectTaDaDined on 4/10/2008Very unique menu, but expect to pay a lot! The waiter was exceptional, too. Wish I could remember his name, but, alas, after sharing 2 bottles of a nice Pinot Noir, not recollection. :)Special Features:
- We ordered the set dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/10/2008We ordered the set dinner menu assuming the food brought to us would be the dishes that are listed on the menu. As it turned out, they had changed the menu at some point and the waitress never informed us of this before bringing out the food! We had to request that the rest of the dishes on the menu be served to us, but this only after we had been served the "new" soup and salad (we sent back the salad and requested what is on the menu from there on out). If you are going to charge $75 for a five-course dinner, at the least you should inform customers if the menu has changed on them!Special Features:
- This is a terrific restaurant.MMMMVIPDined on 4/6/2008This is a terrific restaurant. One negative comment is about the Hotel Monaco staff. Since the restaurant is in the hotel it is important to the overall experience. The staff were uninformative; the valet service was quite poor; and in general they left alot to be desired. The restaurant was great.Special Features:
- The hostess spent about 10OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/6/2008The hostess spent about 10 minutes at the bar after several servers suggested that she find a seat for us. After we were seated, we were promptly poured two mugs of cold coffee. We looked forward to the doughnut selection, but we only seemed to get the lemon curd flavor, rather than a selection. Our server was not familiar with the menu, and could not pronounce several of the brunch options. It is a very cool space and the food was decent, but I wouldn't rush to go back.
- Lots of local ingredientsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008Lots of local ingredients and fresh greens and veggies grown in their own garden. Beautiful courtyard and great bar. The bar food is really fun and delicious and almost outshines the regular menu. Overall good restaurant in hot hotel and great location but poor service is really out of step. After many stays in the hotel and meals, most of the wait staff have been slow, seemingly inexperienced, unattentive, and most recently seem unknowledgeable about food and wine. They lack the professionalism that the hotel seems to strive for, and are clearly a notch below the servers at equivalent DC restaurants.Special Features: