555 8th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postebrasserie.com/
- Phone: 2027836060x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Dinner: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Dinner: Sunday: 5:00 - 9:00pm Special Bar Menu: Weekday: 2:00pm - 5:30pm Fri-Sat: 11:30am - Midnight Enclosed courtyard is first come, first served, weather permitting. Reservations are not taken for outside seating
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Marron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact our Private Dining Coordinator, Jennifer McDivitt - email@example.com, with any private dining inquires for Poste. If you are interested in an event with the beautiful Hotel Monaco, please contact our Director of Catering for the hotel, Buddee Clinton - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: It's Poste Roast Season! Find eight to twelve of your best dining companions and join us to experience Chef Marron's wonderfully decadent Poste Roast menus. Have Questions? Please call 202.449.7062 and chat with Jennifer, our private dining coordinator.
A word from Poste
Poste will delight your senses with mouthwatering dishes and an award-winning wine list, in an atmosphere like nowhere else. Chef Dennis Marron serves up modern American Brasserie cuisine emphasizing fresh, local, and organic ingredients...even as local as our backyard! Whether you are enjoying a hand crafted cocktail on our outdoor patio, joining the happy hour crowd in our lively bar area, or cozying up in one of our booths on a winter evening, Poste is sure to have something to fit any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Poste reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (91)fit for foodies (78)special occasion (55)great for lunch (47)vibrant bar scene (44)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (38)great for brunch (35)hot spot (34)romantic (29)notable wine list (25)late-night find (11)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Restaurant Week at PosteDunyaDined on 8/11/2014I made a reservation for dinner for restaurant week. First, this is an excellent deal. I had pork loin with cauliflower purée. Normally I don't care for cauliflower but this purée was such an excellent addition to the pork. It was fantastic! Service was superb and my dinner partner and I were asked our opinions. The meal was a good size. I enjoyed all 3 courses and did not feel stuffed. The Poste is a beautiful restaurant and a great place to visit.Special Features:
- ExceptionalJazzieDined on 8/11/2014Poste is an excellent place to eat and for trying dishes that you do not normally eat. I was greeted with a smile and hello, when I checked for my reservation. In fact, everyone was very attentive. All the waitress spoke and smiled. The manager came to the table and brought my bag with the dessert and asked was everything okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014For some reason, I haven't been to Poste in years, and now I'm kicking myself. The food is amazing! Favorites are the vegetable crepes, truffle fries, cheeses, and beet salad. And the staff is incredible! Just a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Brunch was greatNYGyalDined on 8/7/2014My guest and I enjoyed our meals and the service was superb. Will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyElleDined on 8/3/2014We celebrated our anniversary here and it was perfect. Beautiful food in just-right portions in a beautiful room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveEatingOutDined on 8/2/2014This was our second time eating here. Another delicious dinner date out!Special Features:
- Disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014My first experience with Poste was less than stellar. However, I returned because the truffle fries are amazing. Sadly that has also changed. Shame.
- Waiter disappearedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014Had to ask for more water. No bread delivered. No dessert offered. Worst service I've seen in ages.
- Nice brunch at PosteJessicaVIPDined on 7/27/2014When you enter the former General Post Office's former mail sorting room, you're transported away from the madness of Penn Quarter and into a lovely intimate space. The first thing that caught my eye was the Bloody Mary bar which welcomes you upon arrival. I was given a glass with bacon infused vodka and was free to add all kinds of goodies to it: pickled carrots, old bay, pickled jalapenos, and my favorite bacon. The bar has every possible variety of hot sauces and plenty of pickled peppers to satisfy those with a spicy palate.Special Features:
- Great BrunchDSMKEVIPDined on 7/27/2014I highly recommend the bottomless mimosas with your brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/27/2014We have been to Poste many times over a number of years and I have to say the restuarant is showing its age (ripped material on seats, old carpet, etc), but there is no excuse for poor service. Service took way too long for an early Sunday brunch when the restaurant was pretty empty. It took the waitress a good 10min to come to the table to take our drink order and when she brought us our coffee she disappeared for another 15-20mins before taking our order. When the meal arrived it was good but it then took forever to get/pay the check. I think the manager saw that we had been waiting awhile for our server to collect the payment so she grabbed the check. It was disappointing knowing that they are/have been more capable of better service.
- Wonderful Food and ServicemsolomonDined on 7/26/2014A group of six of us got to the restaurant before a concert and only had an hour to eat. The drinks and food came quickly and were very good. The service was awesome and friendly. I highly recommend the basil lemon vodka drink and any of the fish dishes.Special Features:
- Sad with the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014The food was great...service was not great. For being such a pricey restaurant the servers should really focus on being more attentive to the patrons.Special Features:
- cute outdoor patioChrysDined on 7/25/2014This place is a little on the pricey side, but good for special occasions. Went with a group of friends. We got the mussels and charcuterie plate for appetizers, and they were great. For the entree, I got the Pork Belly LT, which was too salty and tough, but my friends all liked their steaks a lot. Go for the ambience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/23/2014Bartender seemed rushed when delivering drinks to the table; the waitress was great.Special Features:
- don't think we'll returndontmakefoodmakerezVIPDined on 7/20/2014The side of mushrooms were amazing. I liked the complimentary rolls. The crepes (small dish but very rich) were very good and so were the truffle fries. We were a bit disappointed by the commercial looking decor, expected elegance. Bathroom is far distance to go.Special Features:
- Great brunch, lunch, and night lifeAndy123VIPDined on 7/19/2014I recently stayed at the Monaco DC and at various times had brunch, lunch, and late drinks in Poste. Brunch and lunch were both excellent, and at night, the outdoor bar is awesome and always packed. It was a great find and you don't have to staying at the hotel to enjoy Poste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- readytoeatVIPDined on 7/17/2014Very nice place for a business lunch. Food is tasty but not heavy. Great wine list. Pleasant, relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencefoodiefrenchyDined on 7/13/2014I booked this restaurant for my executive team that come from France and Amsterdam and they said the food was excellent. The wine list was very good and their waitress was very attentive. I would absolutely recommend this as a great business dining location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchSatisfiedDined on 7/13/2014Seated timely and service was great! I enjoyed Poste and will visit again.Special Features:
- Foodie FUNQuixotDined on 7/12/2014We've stayed at the Monaco a few times but only ever had appetizers at POSTE. We and another couple were in town for The Lion King and we made reservations for 4 and an early seating at 5:30 pm. We asked for a quiet and cool (temperature) room as we were all dolled up in gowns and tuxedos. Well, they seated us is the back section, closed a partition and we literally had private dining (there were a few other tables in the area but nobody else was in there that early). All four of us ordered different dishes and all four of them were OUTSTANDING !! Without exaggeration all four of us are foodies and the quality of the food was off the charts !!!!! The food was SO good that if we are EVER in D.C. again for dinner its POSTE or NOTHING!Special Features:
- Couple getawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Stayed at the Monaco. Had dinner here and came back for breakfast! Was excellent both times .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful brunch2eatWellDined on 7/6/2014The outdoor dining area is wonderful when the weather is accommodating as it was on the July 4th weekend this year. And the food choices we had were the Eggs Chesapeake and Eggs Florentine, both of which were very good.Special Features:
- Disappointed by brunchCsolloVIPDined on 7/5/2014Description on how things were prepared/served pretty vague, which lent them-self to the overall disappointment with the food.
- The following 2161 reviews are from the Poste reviews archive.
- Great Business Lunch Spotdcrok15VIPDined on 7/1/2014Perfect spot for a business lunch; the environment is classy and quiet, food is delicious, and the seating allows for relaxed conservations. Like some fancier restaurants, this location is comfortable and chic creating a great ambience for a business meeting. The food was delicious, although be prepared to spend quite a bit for lunch. Will return and would recommend.Special Features:
- Beautiful Outdoor SeatingEmilyVIPDined on 6/29/2014We had a great brunch at Poste and were surprised to see that it wasn't crowded despite the beautiful outdoor seating. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014Good choice for brunch. We sat outdoors and appreciated that the quiet surroundings allowed easy conversation with our guests! Would recommend without hesitation.Special Features:
- Outstanding brunch and dinnerBabydocva1Dined on 6/28/2014Restaurant was located in our hotel (Hotel Monaco DC) and we had both dinner and Sunday brunch there. The pre-theater dinner was an outstanding value with expertly prepared onion soup or salad appetizer, beef Bourgogne or salmon entree, and choice of dessert. Attentive wait staff with excellent wine recommendations. We returned the following morning for a relaxing Sunday brunch before a short walk to spend the day at the National Art Gallery. Great location, great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service!GreatDined on 6/27/2014Great food and better service. We made early dinner reservations at Poste based on the great location near Shakespeare theatre. Poste called to let us know about the special pre-theater dinner menu, which was terrific. And when we realized we had forgotten our Print at Home tickets, Poste rescued the evening by re-printing them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place but limited menuJennaDined on 6/25/2014Great place overall and the food quality is outstanding as is the service. I just found the menu quite limited for repeat dining.Special Features:
- Great food, poor service this timeFoodieVIPDined on 6/23/2014The food was great but the service was lacking this visit. The waiter kept passing me, a table of one, to wait on tables of 3 or 4 businessmen. I started to think he either did not want to wait on me or was just rude. I had to ask for water several times because he did not or just would not give me a refill. I was seated well before these tables of hungry businessmen. The waiter left me sitting there while he ran to their tables before they could scoot into the booth. He never even brought me any bread and when it was time to pay the check, he stood there hovering over me as I fished out my AMEX to pay the bill. It will be a long time before I enjoy those heavenly truffle fries because I can't pay someone to be disrespectful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/22/2014Food was good, the service was poor this time for no apparent reason, wasn't very busy but wait staff would disappear for large chunks of time, never did ask how was the meal, etc...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDCfoodfanVIPDined on 6/21/2014We've enjoyed Poste several times before, but this visit was not at all worthwhile. Our server was attentive, but the food was disappointing. $16 for bag lettuce on a small plate, and an additional $$ for a few pieces of bread, along with over heated old coffee. If we hadn't been hosting friends, we would have left. The tables around us remained un-cleared long after patrons had left. The food and napkins on the rug made the room feel grungy. I guess Poste is focusing on the bar crowd outside, and the interior restaurant is suffering. Spend your money at one of the many nicer choices in the neighborhood
- Brunch-tasticBrunchloverDined on 6/21/2014I took my mom here for brunch, the service was amazing and so was the food. It's a little more on the pricey side, but you definitely get your money's worthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- graceDined on 6/20/2014I did ask to be seated in the quiet room and it was perfect for conversation.Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant with Good FoodhaysplDined on 6/17/2014The food was good for a business lunch but nothing great--a bit disappointing compared with their servings during dine-n-dash on 10 JuneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outsideManyaDined on 6/15/2014Love sitting outside for brunch. Bottomless mimosas and a laid back vibe. If only the food were as good. My croque Monsieur was far from the French version and the side salad was over dressed. But the server was super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place...a bit priceySpecialPlaceDined on 6/14/2014Went to celebrate an engagement for a friend. The restaurant was perfect. I have been here several times and have never been disappointed. It is a bit pricey but hey, it's in the city.Special Features:
- Great Pre-theatermadameedieDined on 6/14/2014This was our second visit to Poste before we went to the Shakespeare Theater. We go early so service is great, though sometimes servers not so familiar with the wine list. Specials are amazing. Everything very seasonal and fresh. We also valet park and get our car after the performance no problem. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food but horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/12/2014The service was so horrible! We hardly ever saw our waitress. I told her we would like to order more drinks to have with our food when it came but she never took our order and didn't come back until we were almost done with our food. Why would the waitress not want to allow us to order? We would have ordered more things if she was actually present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.