555 8th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.postebrasserie.com/
- Phone: 2027836060x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm: Dinner: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Dinner: Sunday: 5:00 - 9:00pm Special Bar Menu: Weekday: 2:00pm - 5:30pm Fri-Sat: 11:30am - Midnight Enclosed courtyard is first come, first served, weather permitting. Reservations are not taken for outside seating
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Dennis Marron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact our Private Dining Coordinator, Jennifer McDivitt - firstname.lastname@example.org, with any private dining inquires for Poste. If you are interested in an event with the beautiful Hotel Monaco, please contact our Director of Catering for the hotel, Buddee Clinton - email@example.com.
- Special Events: It's Poste Roast Season! Find eight to twelve of your best dining companions and join us to experience Chef Marron's wonderfully decadent Poste Roast menus. Have Questions? Please call 202.449.7062 and chat with Jennifer, our private dining coordinator.
A word from Poste
Poste will delight your senses with mouthwatering dishes and an award-winning wine list, in an atmosphere like nowhere else. Chef Dennis Marron serves up modern American Brasserie cuisine emphasizing fresh, local, and organic ingredients...even as local as our backyard! Whether you are enjoying a hand crafted cocktail on our outdoor patio, joining the happy hour crowd in our lively bar area, or cozying up in one of our booths on a winter evening, Poste is sure to have something to fit any occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Poste reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (105)fit for foodies (74)special occasion (59)vibrant bar scene (51)great for lunch (45)great for brunch (41)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (38)hot spot (35)romantic (32)notable wine list (28)late-night find (15)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great brunch, lunch, and night lifeAndy123VIPDined on 7/19/2014I recently stayed at the Monaco DC and at various times had brunch, lunch, and late drinks in Poste. Brunch and lunch were both excellent, and at night, the outdoor bar is awesome and always packed. It was a great find and you don't have to staying at the hotel to enjoy Poste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- readytoeatVIPDined on 7/17/2014Very nice place for a business lunch. Food is tasty but not heavy. Great wine list. Pleasant, relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencefoodiefrenchyDined on 7/13/2014I booked this restaurant for my executive team that come from France and Amsterdam and they said the food was excellent. The wine list was very good and their waitress was very attentive. I would absolutely recommend this as a great business dining location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchSatisfiedDined on 7/13/2014Seated timely and service was great! I enjoyed Poste and will visit again.Special Features:
- Foodie FUNQuixotDined on 7/12/2014We've stayed at the Monaco a few times but only ever had appetizers at POSTE. We and another couple were in town for The Lion King and we made reservations for 4 and an early seating at 5:30 pm. We asked for a quiet and cool (temperature) room as we were all dolled up in gowns and tuxedos. Well, they seated us is the back section, closed a partition and we literally had private dining (there were a few other tables in the area but nobody else was in there that early). All four of us ordered different dishes and all four of them were OUTSTANDING !! Without exaggeration all four of us are foodies and the quality of the food was off the charts !!!!! The food was SO good that if we are EVER in D.C. again for dinner its POSTE or NOTHING!Special Features:
- Couple getawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Stayed at the Monaco. Had dinner here and came back for breakfast! Was excellent both times .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful brunch2eatWellDined on 7/6/2014The outdoor dining area is wonderful when the weather is accommodating as it was on the July 4th weekend this year. And the food choices we had were the Eggs Chesapeake and Eggs Florentine, both of which were very good.Special Features:
- Disappointed by brunchCsolloVIPDined on 7/5/2014Description on how things were prepared/served pretty vague, which lent them-self to the overall disappointment with the food.
- Great Business Lunch Spotdcrok15VIPDined on 7/1/2014Perfect spot for a business lunch; the environment is classy and quiet, food is delicious, and the seating allows for relaxed conservations. Like some fancier restaurants, this location is comfortable and chic creating a great ambience for a business meeting. The food was delicious, although be prepared to spend quite a bit for lunch. Will return and would recommend.Special Features:
- Beautiful Outdoor SeatingEmilyVIPDined on 6/29/2014We had a great brunch at Poste and were surprised to see that it wasn't crowded despite the beautiful outdoor seating. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014Good choice for brunch. We sat outdoors and appreciated that the quiet surroundings allowed easy conversation with our guests! Would recommend without hesitation.Special Features:
- Outstanding brunch and dinnerBabydocva1Dined on 6/28/2014Restaurant was located in our hotel (Hotel Monaco DC) and we had both dinner and Sunday brunch there. The pre-theater dinner was an outstanding value with expertly prepared onion soup or salad appetizer, beef Bourgogne or salmon entree, and choice of dessert. Attentive wait staff with excellent wine recommendations. We returned the following morning for a relaxing Sunday brunch before a short walk to spend the day at the National Art Gallery. Great location, great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service!GreatDined on 6/27/2014Great food and better service. We made early dinner reservations at Poste based on the great location near Shakespeare theatre. Poste called to let us know about the special pre-theater dinner menu, which was terrific. And when we realized we had forgotten our Print at Home tickets, Poste rescued the evening by re-printing them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place but limited menuJennaDined on 6/25/2014Great place overall and the food quality is outstanding as is the service. I just found the menu quite limited for repeat dining.Special Features:
- Great food, poor service this timeFoodieVIPDined on 6/23/2014The food was great but the service was lacking this visit. The waiter kept passing me, a table of one, to wait on tables of 3 or 4 businessmen. I started to think he either did not want to wait on me or was just rude. I had to ask for water several times because he did not or just would not give me a refill. I was seated well before these tables of hungry businessmen. The waiter left me sitting there while he ran to their tables before they could scoot into the booth. He never even brought me any bread and when it was time to pay the check, he stood there hovering over me as I fished out my AMEX to pay the bill. It will be a long time before I enjoy those heavenly truffle fries because I can't pay someone to be disrespectful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Service was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/22/2014Food was good, the service was poor this time for no apparent reason, wasn't very busy but wait staff would disappear for large chunks of time, never did ask how was the meal, etc...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDCfoodfanVIPDined on 6/21/2014We've enjoyed Poste several times before, but this visit was not at all worthwhile. Our server was attentive, but the food was disappointing. $16 for bag lettuce on a small plate, and an additional $$ for a few pieces of bread, along with over heated old coffee. If we hadn't been hosting friends, we would have left. The tables around us remained un-cleared long after patrons had left. The food and napkins on the rug made the room feel grungy. I guess Poste is focusing on the bar crowd outside, and the interior restaurant is suffering. Spend your money at one of the many nicer choices in the neighborhood
- Brunch-tasticBrunchloverDined on 6/21/2014I took my mom here for brunch, the service was amazing and so was the food. It's a little more on the pricey side, but you definitely get your money's worthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- graceDined on 6/20/2014I did ask to be seated in the quiet room and it was perfect for conversation.Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant with Good FoodhaysplDined on 6/17/2014The food was good for a business lunch but nothing great--a bit disappointing compared with their servings during dine-n-dash on 10 JuneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outsideManyaDined on 6/15/2014Love sitting outside for brunch. Bottomless mimosas and a laid back vibe. If only the food were as good. My croque Monsieur was far from the French version and the side salad was over dressed. But the server was super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place...a bit priceySpecialPlaceDined on 6/14/2014Went to celebrate an engagement for a friend. The restaurant was perfect. I have been here several times and have never been disappointed. It is a bit pricey but hey, it's in the city.Special Features:
- Great Pre-theatermadameedieDined on 6/14/2014This was our second visit to Poste before we went to the Shakespeare Theater. We go early so service is great, though sometimes servers not so familiar with the wine list. Specials are amazing. Everything very seasonal and fresh. We also valet park and get our car after the performance no problem. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food but horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/12/2014The service was so horrible! We hardly ever saw our waitress. I told her we would like to order more drinks to have with our food when it came but she never took our order and didn't come back until we were almost done with our food. Why would the waitress not want to allow us to order? We would have ordered more things if she was actually present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sseatsVIPDined on 6/10/2014Tho food is good (bread could use an upgrade), the indoor space is too loud for easy conversation and our waiter seemed to be a novice. Will not rush back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion spotandre1010Dined on 6/10/2014party of 8 in the quiet side room. it was fabulous food/drinks and atmosphere. Our waiter Abdul was very knowledgeable and helped us navigate the menu and made great recommendations.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureFrequentFoodieDined on 6/9/2014The service at Poste is always so wonderful, and the food never fails to impress, regardless of the ever-changing seasonal menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coasting?FOLFOXVIPDined on 6/8/2014The food and cocktails remain good; however, the menu needs to be updated from fall/winter to late spring. Service was prompt and unobtrusive. The dining room could use a replacement of carpeting and seating upholstery. With so many other alternatives within walking distance in the neighborhood I would probably only return for drinks in the courtyard but not to eat.Special Features:
- Certainly Worth VisitingRach26Dined on 6/7/2014The outdoor seating area is perfect for a warm summer evening. The restaurant was bubbling with people, but certainly not loud or disruptive. It was difficult to decide on what to order. There was a variety of fun choices to select from on the menu. We opted for the escargot and French onion soup for starters. Delicious. I ordered the pork belly LT, but barely ate the sandwich because I filled up on the truffle fries. Seasoned wonderfully. We've dined here before and always enjoy our experiences. I'd certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a fun atmosphere, extensive drink list, and vibrant food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodloverDined on 6/6/2014There were two of us and we each had a different entree. We were both disappointed given the restaurant's reputation and the prices. The service was excellent but it does not overcome the food.Special Features:
- Good Pre Theater SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/5/2014We have eaten here several times, the appetizers and mains are consistently good and inventive without being fussy, desserts a little more iffy but we are not dessert people. The service is professional, they will help you stay on schedule to meet your curtain. Noisy near the bar but has nice quitter dining room.Special Features:
- Great lunch at Poste!WorkingmomDined on 6/5/2014I had a great business lunch at Poste. I ordered the Nicoise Salad - it is amazing. Nicoise Salad is one of my favorite items to order at restaurants so I have had many and this was one of the best I have had. Nice pieces of seared tuna on top with all the usual features. I had their amazing truffle fries and practically licked the paper liner. Order the fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer comes aliveOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/4/2014The outdoor spaces at Poste come alive with warm weather in Washington. Whether a participant in the lower terrace bar scene, or a spectator from the market umbrella shaded tables on the upper terrace, the scene is great. Service is attentive and the food is perfectly matched to the time of year and the vibe.Special Features:
- sporterDined on 6/1/2014There were problems with the service. We did not get the Specials Menu so our choices were limited to the main menu. This was an oversight of the Maitre'd. The waiter forgot to enter our order of side vegetables and they did not arrive until after midway through the meal. He was relatively slow and not as attentive. The food overall was good. We picked our desert from the specials menu which he informed us about after the meal. To his credit he did not charge us for the desert because of the error in giving us the specials menu. Not the best experience in dining.
- What a findCfmjDined on 5/31/2014the outdoor area reminds me of a few places in Munich and Vienna. Brunch selection is very good. Service is impeccable. We will be back.Special Features:
- Review of PosteCatsmiaoVIPDined on 5/30/2014Poste is outstanding in every aspect. The restaurant is near the metro, staff is friendly, chef accommodates allergies/dietary restrictions, food nicely prepared and good quality, good selection, presentation attractive, appealing ambience, always popular with a large crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inexcusable serviceeatfitDined on 5/25/2014Outdoor area was great, however the service was terrible. Server only had a few tables...yet kept disappearing. Asked for a second glass a wine and after 15 minutes had to flag down a manager to get it. Table next to us finally had to take there young child out and eat separate due to the extraordinary long wait for food. No excuse.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!yummyDined on 5/25/2014The service, building, scenery, and ambiance was amazing. The ONLY thing I did not like was the mimosa. It is pre-mixed by the bartender and it is just pure orange juice, with maybe a splash of champagne. It was overwhelmingly sweet and I couldn't get past a drink and a half. I asked the server if the bartender would be able to ease up on the OJ or give us more champagne to balance it out but it was a no-go. Other bars/restaurants have always accommodated us so this was the first time the mimosa concoction could not be compromised! And let me just be clear that this had nothing to do with service, it's just their policy I guess. I wouldn't go back for a bottomless brunch but I would definitely hit it up for a lunch or some drinks.Special Features:
- Good work lunch location.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014With the growing restaurant scene in downtown DC, Poste remains a reliable place for lunch, dinner, or happy hour. It was easy to get a reservation and we had a lovely meal that was served quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crowded and understaffedMurrayDined on 5/22/2014It was an early Thursday night but they were slammed. Our drinks remained empty and we passed on dessert due to not wanting to wait around any more. The service did not justify such a high-end (expensive) place. We aren't wanting a fast food, but we do want to be able to flag down our waitress or get refills on water.Special Features:
- The following 2129 reviews are from the Poste reviews archive.