1800 N Lincoln
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://perennialchicago.com/
- Phone: 3129817070x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Hours: Monday-Thursday 5:00pm to 10:00pm
Friday-Saturday 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm to 9:00pm
Brunch Hours: Saturday & Sunday 9:00am to 2:00pm
Breakfast Hours: Monday-Friday 7:00am-11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Virant
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Special event options available. Please contact Taylor Crowley at 312-479-1434.
A word from Perennial Virant
Perennial Virant is a collaborative effort between Boka Restaurant Group and acclaimed Chef Paul Virant. Paul won Food & Wine Best New Chef America 2007 and was a James Beard finalist for Best Chef Great Lakes 2011. The modestly priced menu is comprised of small, medium, and large plates.Continued
Perennial Virant has one of the most magnificent patios in Chicago located right across from the Green City Market. Brunch is served both Saturday and Sunday.
Perennial Virant has one of the most magnificent patios in Chicago located right across from the Green City Market. Brunch is served both Saturday and Sunday.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Perennial Virant reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (129)neighborhood gem (90)great for outdoor dining (82)special occasion (81)great for brunch (70)good for groups (54)romantic (53)hot spot (34)scenic view (33)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (18)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014waitress was great and very patient with our indecisive group of 6Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvfoodVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great service. great location. conversation was a bit difficult due to the noise level. Cocktails very yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Put it on your bucket listanniversaryDined on 6/21/2014Not inexpensive, but well worth the cost for a great dining experience. Lively bar scene, creative bartender, fine dining, inventive cuisine using local, sustainable, seasonal ingredients in the hands of a top chef. Great location in Lincoln Park in the edgy Hotel Lincoln.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousluv2VIPDined on 6/19/2014wonderful cocktail creations. fish cooked just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic and wonderfulHappyDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014The interior is simple and elegant, the service warm, attentive and knowledgeable and the food fresh and inventive. I would definitely return to Perennial Virant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/15/2014PV does farm to table amazingly well. The menu speaks to fresh and the food is spectacular. If you have never tried this spot, its a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Brunch on PatioEmilyRiverNorthVIPDined on 6/15/2014I had brunch on the patio with a couple of friends this past weekend... We had a reservation for 11:30, but they made us wait an additional 15 to 20 minutes for a table outside. The food was great and they were very accommodating to my gluten allergy. We had the omelet, fried chicken sandwich, and homemade sausage - the sausage was the best. The service was really slow, and they never brought us the side of bacon we ordered. However, it was still nice to sit outside and enjoy the good weather.Special Features:
- WorthwhileCathyBethDined on 6/15/2014Different, but yummy choices for a weekend breakfast. You have to try the mini homemade doughnuts! Love their special drink options.Special Features:
- Seasonal pickeledJeromeDined on 6/10/2014Loved the food there! Very special, fresh, seasonal, pickeled, simple and authentic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it gets.frankoDined on 6/9/2014If you want to get away from the ordinary, Virant's Lincoln Park restaurant is the place for you. A foodie's paradise for both carnivores and vegetarians.Special Features:
- WonderfulsalsaDined on 6/8/2014The food is a mix of local, fresh and interesting ingredients that are prepared and presented beautifully. The staff is attentive. The owner cares. It was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/8/2014I took my mom and grandma there for brunch. My grandma is 92 and was able to walk around a little and enjoyed her meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LP spotAnnieDined on 6/8/2014this is an LP gem; great food great ambiance! Lots of menu options, extremely fresh tasting food.Special Features:
- Brunch at perennial virantHappyDined on 6/7/2014So pretty, so lovely. The food was delicious but the offerings are VERY heavy (my fault I should have checked the menu before making the reservation). Staff is friendly but service is a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience all aroundFoodie25Dined on 6/6/2014I went to Perennial Virant to celebrate a friend'a birthday and it was absolutely perfect. I had never been there before so I wasn't sure what to expect. We had an amazing waitress who gave us her opinion on everything we ordered. We started with the classic charcuterie, which exceeded my expectations. We then had the salmon tartare which was amazing. We then shared the beet salad and salmon entree. It was the perfect amount of food for two. The waitress also have us another appetizer to taste, which added to the whole experience. I will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/6/2014This was probably our 6th time dining here. Food is always seasonal and terrific. Three of us shared the soft shell crab, the fish salad, salmon tartar, Walleye pike and scallops. All were excellent and would order again. Only slight disappointment was the strawberry shortcake. Fruit was not fresh, maybe a little too masturated and not sure where the shortcake was. The bottom part tasted like a frozen custard, but hard. We ate it, but would not recommend. Will be back. Staff is very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- FreshDined on 6/6/2014Wonderful, interesting food served by a friendly waitress who took the time to answer our many questions about the unusual dishes.Special Features:
- Favorite PlacegreatplaceDined on 6/5/2014This place is amazing! Would highly recommend this to anyone!Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere and FooddanifragDined on 6/3/2014This restaurant is farm to fresh and everything was excellent! The service was great, very friendly. A really great experience. I would highly recommend for special occasions, as it is expensive, but well-worth it!Special Features:
- Nice place but limited menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014This place is great but if you don't like, or can't eat, seafood the menu is a little limited. But, having said that, the food is yummy and the restaurant is nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and ExpensivestellablueVIPDined on 5/31/2014Sadly, Perennial Virant is not what is used to be. We disliked the new, more communal style dining room & decor. The noise level was crazy. Not only the decibel level of the diners but the mechanicals which we were told were the air conditioners. We could barely hear each other speak. The food was OK but for $100/person on average, sub par.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerJayWallyDined on 5/30/2014The seating was comfortable and the staff were organized in taking us to our table. Our server was friendly, professional, and have is intelligent recommendations. The cheese board was a great way to start, and a follow up salmon tartare was a fresh way to change tastes. My fiancé had the chicken and I had the beef loin. Both choices were incredibly rich and flavorful. Smaller portion, but the taste was enough to fill us up. The cocktails were expertly prepared. A great place to go for a special occasion, or a nice Friday dinner before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 5/29/2014A very friendly atmosphere. Ambiance was wonderful. Our server was great-Jason was very knowledgeable about wine and the food menu. Everyone ( 6 of us ) enjoyed the food and the service. Great atmosphere. Even the servers that did not serve us were very friendly. The only thing I was a little disappointed that they did not carry Belvidere vodka. maybe they can add that to their bar service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a Double DateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2014My boyfriend and I met another couple here. It was a great place to do a double date. The variety in food choice made ordering easy, but there was still a great aspect of upscale dining.Special Features:
- Special tastes, lovely placeblueskiesDined on 5/28/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the flavorful and wonderfully-prepared food at Perennial, which bases most of its offerings on in-house preserves and pickled veggies. It works! Everything we tried was unique and delicious. I order walleye pike whenever I can but this version, served with corn relish, olives, meyer lemon, arugula and pickled and grilled tomatoes, raised this fish to an art form. The service was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2014The food at this restaurant is stellar! I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- The following 1073 reviews are from the Perennial Virant reviews archive.
- Always enjoyableBettyVIPDined on 5/23/2014We've eaten at Perennial Virant many times and always have a good experience. The setting is enjoyable, the servers helpful and friendly, and the food, on the whole also very good. Every once in awhile a dish hits a false note (the grilled ramps were somewhat underseasoned, the chicken a little greasy) but overall they've got an interesting and excellent menu. Breakfast/brunch are particular strengths.Special Features:
- food was decent but nothing amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/20/2014Having been to virant's other restaurant (vie - which is excellent), I was expecting more from the food. Great cocktail list, though.Special Features:
- love this placeamyeatsDined on 5/18/2014great food and outdoor seating. always great service and you can make reservations!Special Features:
- Lovely brunch spotBubbyDined on 5/18/2014Beautiful and not too hectic for brunch with a good range of choices, quality ingredients and careful prep. Great bloody mary! What is critical is that they take reservations which is not often the case for brunch and means you can count at a table at the right time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at PVOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014The French Toast with Rhubarb Compote was fantastic. I abandonded my Croque Madame once my mother offered up a piece of her french toast. Really good.Special Features:
- Perennial Virant Visit May 17 2014JorgefromCubaVIPDined on 5/17/2014This is my second visit to Perennial Virant and I live in Atlanta. I love this place. Food, service and creativity with the menu are the reasons why. Was honored to have met Chef Paul during my visit. He came out and greeted my girlfriend and I with enthusiasm. My girlfriend bought the last book Paul had written on how to preserve foods. He autographed it for us which was a thrill. He then took us personally to the rooftop and bought us a couple of glasses of wine. He was engaging and we were made to feel special in his presence. Will be back to visit on my next trip to Chicago which will be in July.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014I think we may have been there on an off-day, but the service was terrible. It was brunch, and didn't seem insanely busy, but we had to wait almost 25 minutes before a server came to see us. I also asked for cream for my coffee three different times and never got any. The food was delicious.
- Best service everOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/16/2014What a lovely delicious restaurant. Our waitress was so attentive and kind and the food was spectacular.Special Features:
- Consistently fantasticNancyBVIPDined on 5/14/2014I've eaten here several times for both breakfast and dinner when visiting Chicago, and it's always spectacular. The menu can be a touch intimidating, I'm not always familiar with the names of the food items or the preparation terms, but the waitstaff is excellent at both translating and recommending. I've never had a dish that didn't taste way better than it sounded on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner but...PizzaPassionVIPDined on 5/12/2014Delicious, fresh, seasonal food and friendly service, but server's knowledge of the menu (and how to pronounce the menu items) was a bit lacking. I'd still definitely recommend this place, and Chef's Vie restaurant out in the suburbs (best butternut squash soup I've ever had). It was a quiet Monday night for me at PV but I've been before when it's busy and loud. A popular restaurant with a great rooftop bar (J Parker) overlooking the park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlexibilitymaryDined on 5/11/2014We went here for a graduation celebration. The staff was so accommodating to us. They altered our reservation time on a busy Mother's Day, allowed us to change our table to a quieter section and always took care of any little detail seamlessly during our meal. Our celebration was enhanced by their wonderful hospitality and service and the delicious food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisappointmentsuzanneramaDined on 5/11/2014Went to Perennial Virant for Mother's Day Brunch. Did not necessarily expect perfection, as it was a very busy day. However, the food was shockingly poor. Chocolate cherry muffin was inedible (tasted like bitter chocolate and dust). Lemon lavender doughnut was heavy and flavor was nothing remarkable. Not worth $5. Home-made sausage was over-salted, to the point where I couldn't finish it. Potatoes had been sitting under warmer for too long, so pieces were brittle and hard to chew. French toast was luke-warm and way too sweet. The best thing we consumed was the grapefruit mimosa - crisp and refreshing. Our server was very nice, and offered to replace dishes that we were unhappy with. Overall, the meal was a big disappointment.
- Not so goodlovemykidsDined on 5/11/2014Love the location, energy, decor....reservations at 1215...I arrived and was seated early ( terrific), they honored my booth request however the waitress was annoying and impatient...she came to our table at least 5 times after my son arrived around 1220, interfering with our meet and greet chat..ITS MOTHERS DAY, DUH.She was clueless . When we said we wanted a few more minutes she put the pressure on us to order..."you know, theres only TWO more orders of the Shrimp and Grits" my son looked at her and said hmmm bruch pressure. We ordered at that moment...she came back a minute later to tell me "while I was taking to you they ran out of Shrimp and Grits" MOTHERS DAY BRUNCH AND THEY RUN OUT OF A MAIN ITEM.Oh my EGGS were RAW too.
- Excellet food, fun stafflisaDined on 5/4/2014I have been to PV a few times now, every time has been fun. The wait staff is really friendly and the food is always excellent. Its a great place to go if you want to hear what your group is saying (meaning its not loud!) The cheese curds in the hash browns is a great touch....yum!Special Features: