530 Bryant Street
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.veroristorante.com/
- Phone: 6503258376
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Gabriele Lastaria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Vero can accommodate private parties on the patio for up to 40 people, and in the main dining room for up to 60 people.
- Private Party Contact: Massimo 6503258376
A word from Vero
A True Southern Italian experience. We have created the right mix of food, service, and ambiance to give you the best possible experience in the "Vero" Italian tradition. We believe in the Slow Food movement, and not rushing our guests, so come in, relax, and take your time savoring our dishes, and sharing in our passion for Italy, its culture, and its food.Continued
For that special occasion, have Chef Gabriele prepare a customized food and wine dinner.
For that special occasion, have Chef Gabriele prepare a customized food and wine dinner.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Vero reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (21)special occasion (16)romantic (13)good for groups (11)great for outdoor dining (9)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- We love Vero... the food isCaliforniaVisitorVIPDined on 1/29/2009We love Vero... the food is always delicious, the wait staff is unusually knowledgeable, friendly, professional, and solicitous without being over-intrusive. We've gone there as a couple, and with friends, to celebrate special occasions, and for everyday dinners... great value, great ambiance... you can be quick or linger as long as you like. Get a booth if you can (2-4 people)!Special Features:
- Went on a Wed - slow night,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/28/2009Went on a Wed - slow night, and we had excellent service. Appetizers and bread were very good, and main courses were excellent.Special Features:
- THe food did not have a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/22/2009THe food did not have a lot of flavor. The only part I really enjoyed was the dessert. Everything else did not have a lot of flavor or it was too salty. The service was okay.Special Features:
- I took friends from outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/19/2009I took friends from outside of the country to this restaurant. They had been afraid of big food and its taste in the US. But after eating, they were all happy with great food, its size and atmosphere.
- Vero is a real find in PaloRoadrider125VIPDined on 1/17/2009Vero is a real find in Palo Alto. It has a neighborhood feel, while retaining a nice sophistication. Pasta dishes are outstanding, coupled with attentive, professional service. Reasonably priced for the area. Give it a try!Special Features:
- The food was good, and authentic.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/13/2009The food was good, and authentic. The service was poor because there was only ONE waiter. It was a Tuesday night, but they should have put someone else on the floor when they realized that it was going to be a full house! I liked the location as well, it is far enough off of University that you aren't totally affected by the parking issues.
- We had a very poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/10/2009We had a very poor experience and will not return.
- Our dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/7/2009Our dining experience was nice and we would eat there again however some of the seasoning on the vegetables were not to my liking.Special Features:
- We went to Vero for my birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/4/2008We went to Vero for my birthday and had a wonderful time. We split the arugula salad, lasagna and special of the evening, tuna steak with artichokes. In addition I had the chocolate cake for dessert. We also ordered a bottle of Italian wine (forgot the name, but it was a new one on the list). I am 1/2 Italian and am used to excellent Italian cooking and thus am hard to please when it comes to Italian restaurants, but I really enjoyed Vero.Special Features:
- The waiter got our water orderTheMDined on 11/3/2008The waiter got our water order wrong (brought sparkling) and one of our antipasti orders wrong, but it was quickly and seamlessly corrected. The cracked olive antipasta was tasty. The chantrelle pasta special was OK (tagliatelli with chantrelles and tomato), but it was weak on chantrelles, and you couldn't even taste them in the dish. The tuna special was OK (tonno with artichokes), but the tuna was way overcooked. The spaghetti alle vongole was not good. There was a lot of sand/grit in the clams (which were strangely arranged on the plate), and the calabrese hot peppers overpowered the dish. The orecchiette was the best dish of the four, but not spectacular. The torta al cioccolata was delicious.
- Had pasta and Mahi for entrees.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/24/2008Had pasta and Mahi for entrees. Insalata mista to start. Good, but not great food. Good service. Would put slightly beneath Osteria.
- Appealing place to eat. PastaOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/10/2008Appealing place to eat. Pasta dishes are very small for the prices they charge. Menu does not change daily and is not based on seasonaly produce.
- I was very disappointed. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/10/2008I was very disappointed. The moment our server found out we were non-alcoholic drinkers and were not planning on ordering any wine, you could tell he lost interest in serving us. His attitude went from bad to worst. When he was taking our orders, since it was our first time dining at Vero, I asked him what he would recommend.. I could not believe his answer, he told my friend sitting across me: "It doesn't matter coz she'll just order something else anyway." Wow! I thought to myself, how in the world is this guy able to keep his job?!! No worries, I held my peace, but I promised myself - NEVER AGAIN will I return to that restaurant! I could not wait to leave that place :(
- The food was fresh and delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/9/2008The food was fresh and delicious. The portion sizes were just right.Special Features:
- Overall service was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2008Overall service was good. we had a nice waiteress but i thought the food was bland and a bit boring..the hot bread was the best
- Not a first choice on anyOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/24/2008Not a first choice on any dimension. If you're hungry, and there's no other table in Palo Alto, it's a hot meal.
- We waited at our table approx.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/20/2008We waited at our table approx. 10 minutes before getting menus, and the service didn't improve much from there. We split the mista salad and later found a $2 charge for that on our bill. The pasta (spaghetti al pomodoro) was decent, lots nicely roasted of cherry tomatoes but the halibut was overcooked. Didn't bother staying for dessert and don't plan on going back. Inviting restaurant physically, so we were disappointed by our experience.
- The wine list is good on paperOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2008The wine list is good on paper but some wines are not available when ordered. Service is rude. When asked about about our order, the waiter responded that we did not order from him. Unheard of attitude. Overall OK food, not among the best Italian in the Bay Area, just average.
- extremely qualitative italianOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/20/2008extremely qualitative italian food-stands out from the myriad of italian places. Relaxing dining room. recommend ask for massimo (sp?) as your waiter. He is greatSpecial Features:
- Fun atmosphere, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2008Fun atmosphere, great food and quaint. We will visit again. Not a late night spot so plan to dine before it gets dark.Special Features:
- The appetizers we tried wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2008The appetizers we tried were excellent. The pasta dishes were good, but my friend raved about the sea bass. Our waiter was Italian from Milan which was a nice touch. I also enjoyed the Italian music.Special Features:
- Very good restaurant on allneedDined on 8/13/2008Very good restaurant on all fronts. Especialty the service and the Noise level. Perfect if one wants to have a nice dinner and conversation.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic asOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2008The food was fantastic as was the service! Will definitely return!Special Features:
- it is a good little restaurant,BillCDined on 7/25/2008it is a good little restaurant, with agreeable food, a helpful waiter, and little noise. it does not pretend to be great, and it is not. In Italy, it would be a good neighborhood tratoria. May it survive!Special Features:
- Would have liked the portionsYummyVIPDined on 7/18/2008Would have liked the portions to have been a little bit bigger.Special Features:
- The service is outstandingSequoiaVIPDined on 7/12/2008The service is outstanding and the food is very good.Special Features:
- It was a very nice casualVickyVIPDined on 6/27/2008It was a very nice casual place for a few girl friends to get together over lunch. It was on the pricy side though. With an appetizer (three small plates combo) to share, a salad and a light entre each, plus a teramisu to share, the bill was over $60 for two people. We didn't even order any drinks, just tap water.Special Features:
- The food was good, most ofOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/14/2008The food was good, most of the staff was friendly. I'd come back again.Special Features:
- We were disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/10/2008We were disappointed with our dinner this time. We had been there twice before and really loved it, but this time was different. There was a different chef and we ordered pasta carbonara which is one of their specialties, and when it arrived...the order size had shrunk! It was lass than half of what it was when we ordered it the last time. It looked like someone's leftovers that was placed on our dinner plate and it wasn't as good as the last time. Everything else was good and service was great as always! But that disappointing dish still resonates.Special Features:
- A nice place to have lunchLoveToEatOutDined on 6/4/2008A nice place to have lunch or dinner, but entre portions are too small.
- Vero's dishes are pure italianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2008Vero's dishes are pure italian in their simplicity and flavors. I highly recommend any dish with their fresh tomato sauce--outstanding!Special Features:
- Great Service! Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2008Great Service! Great food! Great Experience. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- The menu is refreshing andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008The menu is refreshing and unique as it's not American-Itailan. The staff was attentive, but sometimes lack the follow throught. To enjoy the dining experience, you'll need to have the mind set that this is a "dining experience" and not be in a rush.Special Features:
- My colleague and I were reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/1/2008My colleague and I were really impressed with Vero. Having Italian food for lunch can be too heavy at times, but everything at Vero was so fresh, and made with such a light hand, that we left completely satisfied, but not stuffed.Special Features:
- After two previous visitsavacadovichVIPDined on 4/30/2008After two previous visits for lunch which were outstanding, we came for dinner and were disappointed to find the restaurant crowded and very loud due to to a large group dining at the table next to ours. The service slow because there were not enough staff to serve all the customers. Next time I will bypass Open Table and use the phone to make my reservation so I can ask about how crowded the restaurant will be.Special Features:
- Wish I could recall name ofOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 4/4/2008Wish I could recall name of energetic waiter who took such great care of us -- me when I arrived early (he even suggested visiting art gallery next door as I waited) -- then us when my companion arrived. This gentleman behaved more like a founder of restaurant, so I believe he was. Just stellar -- made our experience via exceptional service when others (hostess, waiter) were uncertain but still good. We had a fabulous dinner and plenty of time to chat over coffee (although I think they forgot about us/bill when crowd diminished.) Will definitely go back to Vero. Such a pleasure among crowded Palo Alto restaurants. I live there -- want my own "neighborhood restaurant" -- Vero certainly a candidate!
- This is a great restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/31/2008This is a great restaurant. It's very friendly and the food is interesting and distinctive. It is an authentic Italian restaurant, like a good neighborhod place would be in many parts of Italy. The food is generally traditional Italian, but includes combinations that are not found in most Italian restaurants in the US. For some reason, this hasn't been very crowded when I've been there - it should be packed every night, given the quality of the restaurant and the modest prices.Special Features:
- The food and service was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/29/2008The food and service was very nice. I'll absolutely go there again!
- Could not order all itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/28/2008Could not order all items on menu because deliveries and chef not in. Item ordered was awful (bitter).
- The restaurant had mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2008The restaurant had mediocre food and service. We weren't ready to place our order when our server initially came to our table, so we asked her to "give us a couple of minutes." It took her about 10 minutes to get back to our table. One member of our party ordered a salad with no red onions, but was served a salad with onions. I actually enjoyed my salad of mixed greens, bresaola, and walnuts with a touch of honey. The entrees were all edibile, but bland. Two of us had lasagna. My complaint about this dish was that it came out lukewarm and the pasta was mushy. My husband had the pappardelle with porcinis. This dish needed more seasoning. I would not return to this restaurant.