11966 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.arterrarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8583696032
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 6:30am - 10:30am, Saturday & Sunday 7:00am-11:30am. Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:00pm. Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm-9:30pm. Dinner Closed Sunday Bar: 11:30am - midnight. Special bar menu from 2:00pm - 11:00pm. Sushi Bar: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm. Happy Hour Specials Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Wills
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live Music Wednesday through Saturday, 6:30PM-10:30PM
A word from Arterra
Arterra™, meaning “art of the earth,” serves American food accented with an eclectic blend of over 300 American wines. The distinctive atmosphere of Arterra evokes a comfortable yet elegant feel with the exhibition kitchen displaying a perfect view of the chefs at work. Arterra specializes in contemporary seasonal cuisine that reflects the diversity of American cooking culture: updated, refined and intensely flavorful. Produce, meats, poultry, fish, game and other products are harvested or hand-selected by local ranchers, farmers and fishermen exclusively for Arterra.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Arterra reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (12)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (3)special occasion (3)fit for foodies (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Lunch menu felt very limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/27/2010Lunch menu felt very limited (only three sandwiches, for example) and prices were quite high for the value received.
- Disappointing. Had not eatenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2010Disappointing. Had not eaten there for 5 years and this dinner evening was not memorable. Food was average to above average, however service was terrible. Cocktails were brought to the table at the same time as our salad order. We had to literally wave over waiter to order dessert and to get our check. I understand it was it was Restaurant Week and while food portions/cost may be adjusted at such a time, service should not. Especially when the place is empty as Arterra was that night. There are plenty of other dining options in NOrth County and I won't be returning to Arterra.
- Our server Chris was the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2010Our server Chris was the best part of the entire experience. It wasn't that the food or atmosphere were bad; however, it was all very lack luster. Everything was average. The new chef did greet our table & was incrediablly personable, but the food was slightly bland so I wish he could've consentrated on that more. I might try it again simply because I had the set restaurant week menu, who knows what the other things on the menu offer. The service was so good I actually will try it again!Special Features:
- The restaurant has made aDineOutSDVIPDined on 8/5/2010The restaurant has made a comeback! Their menu was impressive and the food delicious. We ordered an egg pasta for my child, and it was cooked perfectly. The vegetables were beautifully fresh, and the assortment of fresh fruits were wonderful.Special Features:
- Arterra was one of the bestKIMOVIPDined on 7/1/2010Arterra was one of the best restaurants in the San Diego area. It is now very average and overpriced. The menu is limited and the food is very plain. They have lost their luster after losing the chef who made them famous quite a while ago. They say they have hired a new chef and are putting in a new menu. I don't recommend going to Arterra until they put in the new menu. I also talked to their events coordinator who made some promises that she did not come through with. In addition, the waiter had only bad things to say about her. Thumbs down for now.
- Food quality remains good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/23/2010Food quality remains good, but not exceptional. Service is hands-off (sufficient but somewhere between 'chill' and aloof). Few (1) choice for vegetarians for main course. Fine for business dinner - but the ambience and price:food ratio don't make this a great choice for personal dining.
- This is the only restaurantDMLocalDined on 6/17/2010This is the only restaurant in the area for a nice business lunch. The sliders, calamari, and salmon are good.Special Features:
- Very disappointing! We hadOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/6/2010Very disappointing! We had frequented this restaurant when we lived in the area a few years ago and it was excellent in every way at that time. Since then the menu has changed and is very minimal in its choices, the food was mediocre (oversalted, etc), the service was spotty, despite there being very few diners, and the bar, which is a part of the dining area, was mobbed with noisy conventioneers. Arterra, which was once so stellar, now just feels like a typical mediocre restaurant in a large, convention-hosting hotel. We will not return!Special Features:
- Our experience used to beDineOutSDVIPDined on 4/21/2010Our experience used to be better. The service was extremely slow; our server disappeared for a long time and we were waiting to order. There was hardly anyone else eating at the restaurant, yet the service was slow. The food was great, however. The menu has shrunken substantially though, as there were fewer selections that I remember.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2010We enjoyed our dining experience. It was very pleasant. Thank you!Special Features:
- The food wasn't particularlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/25/2010The food wasn't particularly outstanding, especially for the price. The presentation was nice. The wait staff was not attentive...I had to ask to have my and my guests drinks refilled.Special Features:
- Three of us went for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2010Three of us went for dinner and all had the BD Burger and garlic fries. The waiter brought a huge basket of bread, all very tasty. The garlic fries arrived lukewarm, but we ate them anyway. Burger was excellent.
- The waiter had no knowledgeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/22/2010The waiter had no knowledge of the menu items and was very slow. we went for a late lunch but it seemed like we were an afterthought and forgotten about. sad since it was a birthday celebration and only 1 or 2 other tables were there.
- How disappointing it was toOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/28/2010How disappointing it was to find that as of late January what used to be one of San Diego's best restaraunts that happened to be in a hotel is now a hotel restaurant. The once creative menu with local sourced seasonal ingredients and intriguing flavor combinations now finds itself covered in the mundane run of the mill food. With menu items like crispy calamari, chicken wings, pizza and sliders you may as well change it into a TGIFridays. Even some of the more imaginative cocktails have disappeared. There are still good quality dishes on the menu that are delicious and extremely well prepared, despite the departure of the chef, Jason Maitland. However the dining experience has dramatically decreased. Thanks a lot Marriott.
- As this was restaurant week,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/21/2010As this was restaurant week, the food had much smaller portions. My husband was intially very concerned about going to Arterra, as he does not like the cold feel of the restaurant. Sadly, this night it was extrememly cold and women were walking around with their heavy coats and I felt as though I needed some hot chocolate and a couple blankets as though I was on a sleigh ride. I complained about the cold temperatures, but they couldn't close the door to the restaurant or increase the heat (for some mysterious reason). I am sure it helped with the turnover of tables, although it made for a miserable experience. In my mind, for a dinner which cost over $200 for 4 people, we should have been extremely comfortable and well fed.
- They have recently changedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/20/2010They have recently changed their menu to offer lower prices, but they also offer a very SMALL portion of food to go along with the small price. I would rather pay more and get more. My appetizer was awful, the wine was awful, and the waiter hardly came back to our table to ensure everything was OK. Overall, I was disappointed, and I used to really like this restaurant. I won't be going back.
- The menu (and wine list) wasguyzzDined on 1/12/2010The menu (and wine list) was varied and interesting and featured some great ingredients such as the sardines. The few disappointments were that the dipping sauce for the batter dipped sardines was a bit strong and fought the fish, and the chicken was overcooked and a bit dry with a barbecue sauce that was too sweet and tasted almost like it was out of a bottle. However the variety of vegetables was outstanding and perfectly cooked (the brussel sprout cheese side dish was really great), the sardines were very tasty (despite the sauce) and the short ribs were incredibly rich and tasty (as usual).Special Features:
- The food at Arterra remainsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/25/2009The food at Arterra remains consistently excellent. We had a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- It was an excellent meal withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/25/2009It was an excellent meal with wines to match. Or server did an excelent job. We plan to return to try a few other dinner entrees that seem interesting to us. This us was an EELLENT job!!!!Special Features:
- You can count on this restaurantSDfoodloverVIPDined on 12/17/2009You can count on this restaurant to consistently provide an enjoyable dining experience. It is the best restaurant in the Carmel Valley area for a business lunch, no other restaurant is close.Special Features:
- This restaurant has reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/10/2009This restaurant has really gone downhill. Used to be one of the better San Diego restaurants (which is not saying much to begin with) but is now just plain mediocre. The dishes that should have been toned down (one involving anchovies) weren't; the ones that should have had more flavor, didn't. Best dishes here are the meats; but you can get steak or burgers anywhere in SD that are good. Not lacking in creativity but the outcomes aren't that great at all for the price. The service is not good[ even if waiters helpful and knowledgeable. Always slow, it is now neglectful. Even if the restaurant isn't busy, the service is slow.Waiters looked at pile of crumbs left on table while clearing main dishes but never cleaned off. Not going back
- We ate here Thanksgiving evening,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/26/2009We ate here Thanksgiving evening, fixed price menu, three choices x three courses. I had squash soup, which would have been good if served warm. Waiter didn't check to see if it was ok. My wife got the beef short ribs. Her food was lukewarm. Maybe kitchen doesn't have room to keep items at serving temperature. At $40 per, the food should be pleasantly warm. Waiter didn't ask if I wanted coffee when desert was brought around. No wines listed for sale by the glass on menu. Waiter said ones listed on menu paired with entrees could be ordered by the glass, but no prices shown. Apparenetly, you must ask the price, which I find vaguely annoying. How hard is it to list price per glass on the wine menu? Difficult, apprarently.
- It was a night we wanted toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2009It was a night we wanted to "treat" ourselves and we were not disappointed. The servers were available when needed, but not disruptive. The food was impeccable; from the presentation, to the taste, to the timing between courses. I overate, but could not resist.Special Features:
- Our waiter was knowledgeableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2009Our waiter was knowledgeable and attentive. We highly recommend this restaurant not just for its excellent food but for the service it provides.Special Features:
- We were very disapointed withiknowgoodfoodVIPDined on 11/14/2009We were very disapointed with this restuarant, food was mediocre at best. Service was good. But definitely would not go back! Not worth the money! Too many other fabulous places to go in San Diego.
- The food was good, but notksu395Dined on 11/14/2009The food was good, but not great. The prices were too expensive. The service was great, and especially friendly with my 2 year old.
- Unbelievable food - we'reOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/7/2009Unbelievable food - we're really really picky and this was just so inspired and fantastic. Service to match the incredible menu +++++++Special Features:
- Arterra is one of my all timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2009Arterra is one of my all time favorites for business lunches. The food quality has stayed consistent over the years and everything I have tried has been absolutely divine.Special Features:
- For a hotel restaurant, ArterramikeVIPDined on 10/29/2009For a hotel restaurant, Arterra is outstanding. Great for business functions. MSpecial Features:
- My office is right acrossOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/20/2009My office is right across the street, great place for breakfast or lunch. Excellent for entertaining business clients. Happy hour is very popular, though on the pricier side.Special Features:
- You don't usually expect toOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/8/2009You don't usually expect to find very good restaurants in hotels - but Arterra is a true gem inside the Del Mar Marriott. Great for business lunches & dinners where the quality matters.Special Features:
- I was very satisfied withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2009I was very satisfied with the restaurant. My only comment would be about the Open Table reservation system. I tried to get reservations for a certain time through Open Table. The reservation system said my preferred time was not available and I selected a time one hour earlier. When we left the restaurant, over half of the tables were available and my party of 6 questioned why we could not obtain our preferred time as there seemed to be plenty of availability.Special Features:
- Normally this is my fav placeesc4eveVIPDined on 9/23/2009Normally this is my fav place to do lunch. On this day there was construction of some type taking place in or near the dining area. It was HORRIBLE. The worst part was that not a single staff member said anything about the horrible noise we had to listen to while dinning. Our food took forever to get. We waited at least 25 min for just a 4 table top order. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Staff less than enthuisedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2009Staff less than enthuised to be waiting on you. Food was prepared well but not well enough for the price. Nothing jumped out.
- Arterra was excellent, andWillowVIPDined on 9/16/2009Arterra was excellent, and should not be thought of as a hotel restaurant, but just a fantastic restaurant that just happens to be in a hotel. It's as good as any restaurant in San Diego. The dessert offerings for Restaurant Week were their weakest point, only 2 to choose from and neither was exciting - brown sugar bar with a chocolate brownie base was too rich, and lemon sorbet which was too plain. The half price wine bottle list was great, and good selections of by-the-glass wines. Service was attentive.Special Features:
- Our experience at ArterratechsharkDined on 9/15/2009Our experience at Arterra was, as usual, excellent. The food was wonderful and the service impeccable. The short ribs are wonderful. I have also eaten there for lunch and it is a perfect place for a business lunch. Don't be put off by the fact that this is in the Marriott Hotel; it is definately NOT hotel food. The parking is convenient and the valet is very reasonable. We would highly recommend this restaurant and in fact, we think it is a "must visit" for anyone in San Diego.Special Features:
- Nice surprise, and a greatDrDCBDined on 9/15/2009Nice surprise, and a great experience. Often in restaurant week the house pushes 'not so great' fare and unusual dishes. We enjoyed some favorites and the food and presentation were excellent. Paired with a Fabulous wine (Veritas 98)at a very reasonable price we were very pleased with this wonderful evening out!Special Features:
- Prix Fixe menu was good forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2009Prix Fixe menu was good for starter and main course; dessert not worth mentioning. Presentation & service excellent although we found main dishes to be a bit salty. Forget the desserts... Setting is more conducive to business dinner, casual, etc.Special Features:
- We used to like Arterra soOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2009We used to like Arterra so much, but honestly, we were disappointed by their food the other day. Everything was salty - not just one dish was all of them. We didn't find the elegant and sensitive taste that Arterra used to provide in every dish. Big dissapointment....Special Features:
- Arterra seems to have fallenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2009Arterra seems to have fallen off--the menu was a little odd (fried chicken? at those prices?) and the service was not what you'd expect. We had a reservation for 4; two checked in a little early, and when the others showed up (on time) the same hostess not only "couldn't find" the reservation, she did not even recall having seated two of the 4 people. To top it off, I was served the wrong meal. The food was good, but not great, which is what one should get for the prices.