11966 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.arterrarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8583696032
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 6:30am - 10:30am, Saturday & Sunday 7:00am-11:30am. Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-2:00pm. Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:30pm-9:30pm. Dinner Closed Sunday Bar: 11:30am - midnight. Special bar menu from 2:00pm - 11:00pm. Sushi Bar: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm. Happy Hour Specials Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Wills
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live Music Wednesday through Saturday, 6:30PM-10:30PM
A word from Arterra
Arterra™, meaning “art of the earth,” serves American food accented with an eclectic blend of over 300 American wines. The distinctive atmosphere of Arterra evokes a comfortable yet elegant feel with the exhibition kitchen displaying a perfect view of the chefs at work. Arterra specializes in contemporary seasonal cuisine that reflects the diversity of American cooking culture: updated, refined and intensely flavorful. Produce, meats, poultry, fish, game and other products are harvested or hand-selected by local ranchers, farmers and fishermen exclusively for Arterra.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Arterra reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (13)good for groups (6)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)fit for foodies (2)romantic (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- My wife and I were stayingDougVIPDined on 7/16/2011My wife and I were staying at the hotel and did not want to venture out. We ate at the restaurant and were actually quite surprised by both the quality of the food and the service (which was outstanding). Would definitely consider coming back even if not staying at the hotel.Special Features:
- The place was dead. We we'reOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2011The place was dead. We we're the only reservation @ 730 and they shut the kitchen down after our entrees were served. The food is great and the service was good but they need to get some butts in those seats.
- Service was terrible. RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2011Service was terrible. Restaurant wasn't that busy. Food was mediocre. Not what I'm ussed to from Arterra (it's usually pretty good). Probably won't go back again.
- I went with a group of ladiesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/16/2011I went with a group of ladies for our Mom's Night Out. Some people ordered salads and the portions were very small. Our server was also NOT attentive and at the end of the evening I even had to ask someone to find her so we could pay the bill. And it was very expensive. I ended up paying $45 for a caesar salad and one martini.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/12/2011Went for lunch and was not dissapointed....Arterra is always consistent for good food and atmosphere. The burger was outstanding...a bit too much garlic on the fries but overall very, very good.Special Features:
- Great lunch location.HBfoodieVIPDined on 5/6/2011Located in the Del Mar Marriott. Great lunch selections and outstanding service.Special Features:
- The service as well as theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2011The service as well as the food was great and would have warranted the tariff had there been a view of something ( like water ) other than the street view which is offered. The noise level was more than energetic, it was too loud for any kind of normal conversation. thank you
- Food was very good but serviceFoodExplorerDined on 3/15/2011Food was very good but service was variable as we had multiple waiters serve us.Special Features:
- My experience at Arterra wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/25/2011My experience at Arterra was good but less than what I was hoping for. The food was probably the highlight. My sushi was very fresh and tasty. These are my gripes: I went with a group on Friday night and the live music was horrible. It was an older group singing all classis rock like Simon & Garfunkle. The music did not fit with the style or scene at all! In addition the wine & beverages were completely over priced. The house wine was $9 a glass and that was THE LOWEST glass of wine on the menu. It seems strange when other nice restaurants in the area offer a larger variety at $6 or $7 a glass. I would maybe try it again on a night without music but then again the wine prices make me cringe. Sad because I really wanted to like it
- I went for the Taste of ArterraOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2011I went for the Taste of Arterra so I'm sure the ambiance is going to be a little different than the usual restaurant set up. But the food was delicious, the servers were quick in cleaning up, and the seating by the pool is very cool.Special Features:
- We went to Arterra for a fundraiserOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/17/2011We went to Arterra for a fundraiser. They were introducing the new chef. The food and ambiance were fantastic. The wine and spirits were wonderful. The outdoor and indoor ambience was fabulous. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2011Excellent food, service and atmosphere. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great venue! This review isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2011Great venue! This review is for the Arterra's Re-Grand Opening on 2/17/11- Food was great, and plentiful, and the outdoor patios were perfect for the event. The 10.00 "donation" was very inexpensive for what was offered, and the live music was a great addition, which added ambience and flair. The event was "open" tables of food, so you could have as much as you wanted, but there were not "waiter" as such on the outdoor patios, so I couldn't rate for service.Special Features:
- We had a great time! ThanksSTEPHDined on 2/17/2011We had a great time! Thanks Arterra, and good luck with your new ambiance and menu. The service was great, the food was really fun.Special Features:
- Great event to experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2011Great event to experience the abilities of the chefs.Special Features:
- We attended their Taste ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2011We attended their Taste of Arterra and found everything to be outstanding. We are looking forward to returning for dinner sometime soon.Special Features:
- We attended their new menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/17/2011We attended their new menu tasting event. It was a wonderful introduction to their new menu. The cocktails were very unique and definitely worth coming back to try at a more leisurely pace.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere but the dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2011Great atmosphere but the dinner food was disappointing. Next time will try the sushi bar which looked great. Also would like to try the outdoor patio.Special Features:
- Food was good, service wasMandAVIPDined on 2/11/2011Food was good, service was better. We had the short ribs and fish. It was good food and desert was excellent. The noise level was low and we had a nice romantic dinnee!Special Features:
- Food was pretty good, dessertsGetback456VIPDined on 2/8/2011Food was pretty good, desserts were mediocre, and the service was poor. Our waiter/bust boys were not attentive to our ongoing needs (refilling beverages, cleaning table between courses). We had to ask for dessert menus and the check.
- WAY OVER PRICED!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/4/2011WAY OVER PRICED FOR WHAT YOIU GET! EXAMPLE, $12 FOR A CEASAR SALAD THAT HAD 4 SPEARS OF LETTUCE AND A PIECE OF SHAVED PARMASEAN CHEESE. MY TAB FOR 5 PEOPLE WAS $200 AND IN MY OPINION IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE $100 RANGE FOR WHAT WE GOT!
- 3 Pros and a Con~OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2011The food was delicious but a bit overpriced for this economy. I would definatley come again and recommend it for my friends and family! The only thing that I suggest be fixed was the music, it was very loud and my family and I practically had to yell to be heard (we were also sitting two tables in front of the stereo so that might be why...). Very good food! :DSpecial Features:
- My best friend and I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2011My best friend and I have started a tradition of taking each other here for birthdays (rather than giving gifts we don't need). We love it. This time Juan was our waiter and he was wonderful, friendly (with a sense of humor) and a great waiter!Special Features:
- Very very cold inside. IOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/22/2011Very very cold inside. I asked if they could do something and told me that the heat was not controlled at the restauranrt but somewhere outside of California! Bad experience.
- Arterra menu/service mediocretouristDined on 1/19/2011Had an 8pm reservation. Service was slow throughout, with numerous apologies for the slowness due to large private group (something the hotel does a lot of, so should not be an excuse). Special Restaurant Week menu was not very good. My seafood entry was served in a plastic oven bag in a bowl, looking more like a full diaper than a gourmet preparation (as there was NO preparation or presentation whatsoever!). Salad was the only exceptional dish that evening. Can not recommend.Special Features:
- This is one of the best mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2011This is one of the best meals we have consumed! Flavor and presentation were tops.Special Features:
- most of their seafood dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2011most of their seafood dishes are pretty good. Great place to meet with clients.Special Features:
- When here with a friend asartshellVIPDined on 1/17/2011When here with a friend as part of restaurant week. Heard it was awesome. The fare while imaginative was not well executed and imaginative in name only. The appetizer, crab pots de courage, were the highlight of the meal but the meal went rapidly downhill from there. I was served this bean soup that was so green in color that it looked more like an industrial mistake than food. The brown and white tureen did not help the color mistake. The chef's attempt at al dente beans failed. The main entree was sea bass and mussels un sacchetto. While a beautiful presentation, sea bass was on the tough side and the mussels rubbery. Over cooked, you think? BTW: The servers were clueless. They could not even identify the dishes they were servi
- Very good food. Pleasant andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2011Very good food. Pleasant and attentive waitress but not very knowledgable.Special Features:
- Just another hotel restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/21/2010Just another hotel restaurant now...nothing special.
- We are big fans of ArterraOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/17/2010We are big fans of Arterra and have been for many years. On this particular visit, however, the service was terrible. The restaurant was not busy, but our server virtually ignored us for the first half of our time in the restaurant. The bar was very busy and the live band in the lounge was extremely loud, we could barely hold a conversation in the restaurant because of the music. The food was excellent, as always, though they had run out of some of the dishes by 7 p.m.Special Features:
- My salmon was cooked to perfection!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/16/2010My salmon was cooked to perfection! Our waiter was very pleasant and accomodating. Very nice atmosphere, overall...it was a very nice luncheon!Special Features:
- Place was really nice butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2010Place was really nice but there was only one other couple there with us all night long. It seems to be more of a weekday place and a business type hotel. The food was good but a little pricey.Special Features:
- It was very disappointing.pecabraVIPDined on 11/17/2010It was very disappointing. I have seem this restaurant lower the quality and selection of their food. All items ordered were greasy, oily and disappointing. Over last two years they had decrease their quality.
- Brought visitors who had travelledOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2010Brought visitors who had travelled from Belgium (18 hours of travel) equipped with a Lonely Planet guide. They ate in several places in town and said that this was without question their best meal of the week... We have loved Arterra for years - it never disappoints even though I have high expectations!Special Features:
- No Chef in the Kitchenljd9erDined on 11/11/2010The restaurant has one down hill compared to its earlier eays, will not go back.
- Food took way to long to comeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2010Food took way to long to come out and they were not even busy. This place use to be much better. It has gone down hill for how expensive it is. Save your money and go to Ruth Chris or Sibica in Del Mar.
- Service was great! Quick turnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2010Service was great! Quick turn around time for lunch meeting.Special Features:
- Lunch menu felt very limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/27/2010Lunch menu felt very limited (only three sandwiches, for example) and prices were quite high for the value received.
- Disappointing. Had not eatenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2010Disappointing. Had not eaten there for 5 years and this dinner evening was not memorable. Food was average to above average, however service was terrible. Cocktails were brought to the table at the same time as our salad order. We had to literally wave over waiter to order dessert and to get our check. I understand it was it was Restaurant Week and while food portions/cost may be adjusted at such a time, service should not. Especially when the place is empty as Arterra was that night. There are plenty of other dining options in NOrth County and I won't be returning to Arterra.