200 Jackson St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kokkari.com/
- Phone: 4159810983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European, Greek
- Executive Chef: Erik Cosselmon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The semi-private and private dining areas can accommodate groups from six to two hundred. The restaurant is also available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Shea 4159810983
A word from Kokkari Estiatorio
Kokkari (pronounced “Ko-Kar-ee”) is a small fishing village located on the islands of Samos in the Aegean Sea, whose name is derived from the small onions that were once produced in the nearby fields. Its fertile soil and Mediterranean climate translated into an abundance of fresh produce as well as treasured seafood and game. Legend tells that Kokkari is the site where Orion, a mighty hunter and a young man of gigantic stature and great beauty, fell in love with the daughter of the king of Chios. For the love of her, Orion forged the island for wild game and seafood to prepare elaborate banquets in celebration of their love. Today, we hope you will enjoy your own celebration as you dine at Kokkari Estiatorio on food “fit for the Gods” prepared with an Aegean palate and the style of innovative California fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Kokkari Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Kokkari Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
486 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (340)special occasion (321)romantic (233)good for groups (190)notable wine list (179)hot spot (169)neighborhood gem (143)great for lunch (115)vibrant bar scene (83)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (17)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Always outstandingKittyMommaVIPDined on 9/4/2014Kokkari never fails to deliver. The food is always delicious and the service superb. Our waiter suggested the Greek fish and it was prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- WonderfulFarmBoyDined on 9/3/2014I always eat at Kokkari when I visit SF. Make reservations way ahead of time, hard to get a table or a spot at the barSpecial Features:
- A Must ExperienceGeorgiaVIPDined on 9/3/2014We went to celebrate our anniversary and our friend's birthday. Made reservations and were immediately seated. We had a WONDERFUL and energetic waiter, Michael. Most of the dishes we felt were delicious: lamb shank, moussaka, octopus, calamari. We were disappointed with the rotisserie of the evening which was lamb, felt it very bland in taste. Delicious dessert we shared (so full, took food home)-nicely presented for the celebrations but I did feel they should have comped the dessert--good will!! All in all a memorable place to celebrate.Special Features:
- Well worth the early reservation!servicemattersDined on 9/3/2014We were visiting San Francisco for a short holiday, after reading other reviews decided to try Kokkari Estiatorio. Our choices were 5:30 p.m. or 9 p.m., we don't like eating really late so we settled for the 5 p.m. So worth the early sitting. The ambiance is so warm and cozy, almost like sitting in someone's kitchen. The food was divine! We started with the chicken livers, crispy yet still soft in the center so they melt in your mouth. My husband had the rotisserie lamb and I had the branzino. Very subtle flavors on both, we kept sharing portions back and forth. Our server was very friendly and helpful, even had happy birthday written on our dessert place. A place we will definitely return to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome, just pure awesome!NikosDined on 9/2/2014I have been there ever since I have been coming to San Francisco since 2011 and every year since and rate it highly. I have told many friends of my experience of going there and tell them it is the best restaurant l have been to with so many great characteristics that l cannot fathom to write. Pure awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor experiencesanfran3Dined on 9/2/2014Sorry but this restaurant came recommended but our experience was far from that. We were put at a table right next to a 40th birthday party of 20+ people which meant we couldn't hear each other and felt we wanted to leave from the moment we sat down. Compared to our generally British taste all the food was dry and overcooked with little taste. The staff who clearly felt embarrassed about the table we were sat at tried all they could to please which was appreciated, however our one special night out in San Fran was ruined, sadly I would not recommend.
- A LA GRECCAALANTDined on 9/2/2014Exceeded my expectations. We ordered Family style, sharing mezze's and entre's. Plenty to choose from for ALL diets!. Absolutely Lovely ambience. We sat in front of the Hearth with the chicken on the spit! Everyone raved. We will return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014What a great night . Took my son to Kokkari for his 18th birthday and we were both very impressed with the food, service and atmosphere. top to bottom a great experience. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointingebfoodieDined on 9/2/2014The service, atmosphere and food are outstanding. My only issue as with many places is some tables are a little too close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!BeejDined on 9/2/2014Excellent, food, service and very friendly staff. The roasted lamb over the fire is wonderful, full of flavor, moist and tender. The zucchini cakes are fresh, crisp and a must to try. The house wine Cab Sav was smooth and perfect with my lamb shank. Highly recommend eating here, don't rush your evening, savor the food. You must book!Special Features:
- Among the bestWelchmanDined on 9/2/2014We had a delightful dinner and lunch our last two visits. Food is outstanding and the menu has dishes for everyone. The small plates are to die for and the entrees were exceptional. Decor and atmosphere are perfect and the service is friendly, knowledgeable and caring. This is among the best restaurants in our opinion and definitely the best Greek restaurant by far!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoJpfoodieDined on 9/2/2014We didn't make reservations far enough in advance for an evening meal, but got in for lunch. It was outstanding - lamb skewers were delectable (so tender and flavor was outstanding) as we're the chicken. Everything was above and beyond, ingredients so fresh and of excellent quality. There is a reason they are in the number one position on so any lists. Atmosphere was very nice as well. At lunch most folks were dressed in work attire -- I was expecting more a more casual group. At night you may require more than jeans and t-shirts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!GilbertoDined on 9/2/2014The food its so great,service everything it so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobynDined on 8/31/2014We have been to Greek restaurants all over the world and this is the best of all!Special Features:
- Did not disappointpatoloucoDined on 8/31/2014We went into Kokkari with high expectations and it did not disappoint. The ambiance was like another world - very romantic and cozy. The service was excellent and the food was very good. Anyone visiting San Francisco should definitely visit this place.Special Features:
- Delicious, classy, and friendlyTiffanyDined on 8/31/2014Such simple but bright and vibrant flavors from every dish. A very nice atmosphere that isn't pretentious. A must-go with a desire to return as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Great Greek!LuvflavorDined on 8/29/2014Great presentation. Had the lamb skewer, it was fun to watch them 'pull it off a sword'. Great flavors, just the right amount of 'juicy and moist'. My wife had the salmon. Again lots of nice flavors, and cooked just right. Would eat here often if I lived in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply WonderfuldrewrodDined on 8/29/2014I ate here for the second time with my family for a special occasion and I was lucky to get a reservation for a perfect Friday night. I knew this place would be reliable based upon my past experience and numerous reviews and this night was no exception. The staff was perfectly friendly and helpful and I think the decor ranks as my most favorite. The food did not disappoint - from the appetizers, salads, wine, entrees and desserts. I believe it would be difficult to choose a dish that doesn't deliver. This is excellent Greek cuisine and whoever is in charge knows what they are doing.Special Features:
- Delicious!KClarkDined on 8/29/2014Everything was perfect, I definitely plan on dining at Kokkari again in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service - The bestGrrAliDined on 8/29/2014As a visitor to San Francisco we checked out restaurants on the internet before leaving Scotland and this one was rated very highly. We found it very welcoming and friendly. The staff could not be faulted and their attention to detail was exceptional, as was their attention to their guests. The food also was exceptional and enjoyed greatly by the both of us. As an up-market restaurant, the food was reasonably priced although the wine was on the expensive side which did not detract from our overall enjoyment.Special Features:
- Where is the 6th star?netsrule2Dined on 8/28/2014Wow. This place was great. Definitely get the octopus app. My wife and I don't generally eat Octopus, but wife and I both loved this dish. Greek salad was fresh and delicious. Both main dishes, Daily roast and daily fish, were spectacular. If the meal wasn't perfect enough, the dessert made it better. I forget the name, but it was these little Greek pastried covered in honey. Worth going to this place just for Dessert (or just for the bar that seemed packed)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been going here for 8 years...ThereheisDined on 8/28/2014I have a quarterly lunch with clients, and we are never disappointed. Food is great and the service is off the charts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalUS14Dined on 8/26/2014We had the best meal of our US trip here. Hostesses were so welcoming and the decor and ambiance is beautiful and vibrant. Our waiter was professional and passionate and sold us on some wonderful specials. The lamb souvlaki and lamb chops best we have ever had and we are from NZ! tried to return to try the chicken but was booked out, you must book early.Special Features:
- My favorite spotAmelieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Love everything about this restaurant and have been coming here for years. Both special occasion and business lunches, this is my go-to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth ExperiencingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/25/2014We had been looking forward to trying Kokkari for some time and in most ways it lived up to expectation. Great food and environment. Can share a variety of small plates or opt for a full meal. I would recommend the zucchini cakes to start and any of their lamb or rotisserie specials as an entree.Special Features:
- Kokkari is a Great restaurantLove2eatDined on 8/24/2014We had dinner w/ friends Sunday and it was terrific. Everything was great. If you're looking for a great restaurant experience, Kokkari's the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JFUN41Dined on 8/24/2014Kokkari is representative of why San Francisco is the best food in the world! You will leave with an endorphin high and I am not kidding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected perfection deliveredCKazDined on 8/23/2014Every time I go to Kokkari it's always been a perfect dinning experience. Girls night, date night or a large celebration party, it's top notch. I absolutely LOVE the menu and the selection. Being Greek it's amazing how authentic the food. Kokkari einai apistefto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal!shoupsterDined on 8/23/2014Kokkari is a rare find in today's fusion cuisine, farm to fork world of restuarants. It is a place where simplicity and craft are valued above insane presentations that sound great and look beautiful , but often dissappoint. The idea that simple, quality ingredients speak for themselves is no where more apparent than at Kokkari. Feta, baked in olive oil with thyme, capers, gypsy peppers, lemon and olive oil will dance on your pallette delighting your sense of taste. Lamb, seasoned in garlic, thyme, lemon and black pepper then charcoal grilled to tender perfection will melt in your mouth like butter. The five star service from knowledgeable, attentive staff will tie everything together and give you the perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- A must if you are in SF! Delicious!UlisesVDined on 8/22/2014The food and service were excellent, and the ambiance was very nice. We had dinner for two, we ordered a red wine from Napa, had the grilled octopus with lemon (Octapodaki you Yiorgou), the lamb chops (Arnisia Paidakia) and for dessert the yogurt sorbet (Yiaourti Granita) and Baklava ice cream (Pagoto Baklava) with a Greek coffee. Eating at Kokkari should be at the top of any list for visitors going to SF. Looking forward to returning on my next trip to San Francisco.Special Features:
- My new favoriteaaas24Dined on 8/22/2014Amazing experience. I came to celebrate my graduation and it was the best choice. Amazing food (specially the desserts). Is my new favorite restaurant, hands down. I'll definately come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met all expectationsPumpskiDined on 8/21/2014Dinner, service and drinks were all excellent. The rotisserie lamb was amazing, as was the flourless chocolate cake. One of the best Old Fashions I've had in the city, too.Special Features:
- Stellar!technobabeDined on 8/21/2014We hadn't been to Kokkari in many years, in part to difficulty getting a reservation. Our experience exceeded our recollections. The food was outstanding, and coming from a Greek family, very authentic. The lamb meatballs were delicious, and the avgolemono was as close to the homemade soup made by the best avgolemeno maker in our family. The Mousaka was perfectly spiced, and the lamb chops perfectly seasoned and grilled. We somehow managed to find room for the Loukoumades for dessert … made to order, warm and not overly sweet. Our waiter was wonderful … very knowledgeable about the menu, which is quite large. The wine list is huge and a little overwhelming. Overall we had a fabulous experience and can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Tourist trap?OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/21/2014The food here is not very different than what one can fine at a decent Greek diner. Overcooked lamb, reasonable chicken, soggy vegetables reminiscent of the school cafeteria. Seemed packed, though.
- Absolutely wonderful!LauraDined on 8/21/2014Kokkari was recommended by several friends and it was as wonderful as I was led to believe. The menu was terrific; the service was attentive; and the food was amazing! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Makes an Anniversary SpecialdiningdivaDined on 8/20/2014Only Kokkari is special enough for a forty-eights wedding anniversary. From great service, knowledgeable wine advice, the best octopus appetizers, bronzini fish special, and Greek dessert, it was a memorable evening. Even a nod from our fabulous exmayor and current best spokesperson for San Francisco, Willy Brown. Evidently everyone knows Kokkari is special.Special Features:
- Excellent fish!TomGDined on 8/20/2014Had the branzino - perfectly prepared; waitress quite knowledgeable about both the food and wine listSpecial Features:
- Thought the food was just averageISYHVIPDined on 8/20/2014Came with a party of 4 for lunch, we each paid $75 for salad, lunch and a drink. A bit over my budget and I thought food was just average....Special Features:
- KokkariperryozVIPDined on 8/19/2014This was our second visit to Kokkari and it did not disappoint. The food, service and atmosphere were great. It is noisy so not a good place for a romatice quiet evening. We went at 6:30 having arrived from TN and the place was packed. It is just like a Greek family gathering, noisy with lots of bustle and plenty of food. Our waiter was a young woman who was extremely familiar with the menu and the food preparation. Very attentive, but not pushy, perfect. The food was very hot when it arrived in a timely manner. The roasted meat special for the evening is always a treat and highly recommended if that's your preference. We had an overall great time and I would highly recommend Kokkari on any trip to SF.Special Features:
- Fantastic SpotLocal23Dined on 8/19/2014Not a bad dish in this spot. Our waiter could not have been more energetic and welcoming!Special Features: