200 Jackson St.
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kokkari.com/
- Phone: 4159810983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm -11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar Menu: Monday - Friday: 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary European, Greek
- Executive Chef: Erik Cosselmon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The semi-private and private dining areas can accommodate groups from six to two hundred. The restaurant is also available for buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Caroline Shea 4159810983
A word from Kokkari Estiatorio
Kokkari (pronounced “Ko-Kar-ee”) is a small fishing village located on the islands of Samos in the Aegean Sea, whose name is derived from the small onions that were once produced in the nearby fields. Its fertile soil and Mediterranean climate translated into an abundance of fresh produce as well as treasured seafood and game. Legend tells that Kokkari is the site where Orion, a mighty hunter and a young man of gigantic stature and great beauty, fell in love with the daughter of the king of Chios. For the love of her, Orion forged the island for wild game and seafood to prepare elaborate banquets in celebration of their love. Today, we hope you will enjoy your own celebration as you dine at Kokkari Estiatorio on food “fit for the Gods” prepared with an Aegean palate and the style of innovative California fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Kokkari Estiatorio - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Kokkari Estiatorio reviews from OpenTable diners
475 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (329)fit for foodies (324)romantic (249)good for groups (180)notable wine list (178)hot spot (158)neighborhood gem (131)great for lunch (118)vibrant bar scene (84)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (19)great for brunch (17)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great consistencyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014I was impressed when i visited the 1st time back in 2009, and still impressed when i came back this month! Great job Kokkari!Special Features:
- Outstanding food!RosalindDined on 8/3/2014The food was incredible, very fresh. We had fresh roasted lamb on a spit and whole grilled fish. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Ambience and ExcellenceNYNativeDined on 8/3/2014Kokkari restaurant is a city gem for locals and visitors alike. There are no words to describe the high quality of food, service, and ambience. A must do for San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsSFeaterDined on 8/3/2014Everything is done to perfection at Kokkari. They don't let anything slip. Nothing is substandard. I try to focus on the appetizers because there are so many incredible ones from which to choose. The lamb souzoukakia (meatballs) were phenomenal this last time--as was the watermelon/feta salad. The taramosalata dip is a must have as well. It's served with delicious pita bread. You can't go wrong with any of the entrees but a lamb dish is almost a must. Their chops are #1 but so are the souvlaki dishes. And last, the desserts at Kokkari are to die for. While the Kokkari sundae is my old standby (irresistible), the authentic Greek desserts are all wonderful as well. One of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- Greek food to cuisine statusBruceCTDined on 8/2/2014Food was excellent Service was professional which is so rare. It is number 1 in SF for a reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic food, service, settingseattledinerDined on 8/2/2014My 18 year-old daughter and I recently enjoyed a dinner at Kokkari on a Saturday night. Book early, as booking 27 days in advance (rather than 30) yielded 5 pm and 9:30 pm as the only options. Service was outstanding, as was the meal. Was surprised -pleasantly - at the families who brought relatively young children, and how well they were welcomed and accommodated by the staff. Wonderful experience overall - do not miss the lamp chops and the daily rotisserie (pork), both were perfectly seasoned and served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing meal and staffLongviewDined on 8/1/2014Took our friends from Washington DC out to dinner. Impeccable service, the waiter was attentive, informative, and genuinely interested in making our experience marvelous. Then the food--shared appetizers were great--the watermelon and feta was our favorite at the table. Peaches with figs were stupendous. Zucchini cakes with cucumber mint yogurt dressing too. For my entree I had the duck--roasted in the open fireplace. I was so into the duck I paid no attention to my wife or friend's main dishes. Everyone was so happy at the end of the meal that we went out to a nightclub after to keep the evening going.Special Features:
- Very special Lunch51foodieDined on 8/1/2014Dined on a Friday afternoon with work friends. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Starters were fantastic, especially octopus, fried cheese, lamb riblet and smelts. Our group also enjoyed their entrees. Delicious ravioli dish was a hit as was the grilled octopus salad. We enjoyed a lovely Greek white wine from Santorini and several desserts, including the amazing baklava with ice cream! Service was spot on from the warm greeting when we entered through the entire meal. Consistent Excellence!Special Features:
- Even better than the hype.headDined on 7/31/2014I expected a lot when I got here because everything I had heard was stellar, and I had rationalized that young techies might have reviewed and maybe they didn't know crap. I was wrong. From constant calls I had made to try and get in early to the over accommodating bus boy the service was tremendous. I had forgotten my reading glasses. They had a choice of 30 for me to use that were shown to me by the extremely professional waiter. The wine list matched the excellence of the food. The octopus was great and a must. The salad was creative, my lamb shank was out of this work and my wife loved the king salmon. The $200. Tab incl. Tip was well worth it. The bottle of wine (Saldo Zinfandel) was tremendous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticzorroDined on 7/30/2014the food was exceptional and the ambiance and the service was as good as the foodSpecial Features:
- Always the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/29/2014Love this place! Fellipo is a great server and always more than honest and accommodating.Special Features:
- Great place!!FranespinosaDined on 7/28/2014We went for late dinner. The service was very good and the food is incredible! We had the watermelon with fetta cheese and grape leaves with rice for starters, and the grilled lamb chops. For dessert we had the rice pudding. Everything was original and exquisite.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014We are franch and we think that a very good restaurant !Special Features:
- WallaceVIPDined on 7/28/2014Kokkari is an outstanding restaurant. I find the food, the service and the whole experience of being there consistently outstanding and memorable.Special Features:
- Never fails to disappointMACKDined on 7/28/2014It had been some time since I last had lunch at Kokkari. It's just as good as it always was. The service is polished, and seems to be really dialed in. And the food remains excellent. Started with the spreads and zucchini cakes, and then had the lamb schwarma, which was right off the grill and cooked a perfect medium (just as I had asked for it). I'll keep coming back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014Delicious throughout....from the appetizers to dessert!!! Ambience is nice. Service is excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating the Marathon DinnerCircusdogVIPDined on 7/27/2014My boyfriend ate here last Sunday, after he ran the SF marathon. We simply loved the restaurant. It is beautiful, the service was simply amazing. Our waiter Jeff, was perfect. All the staff we came into contact with were top notch. Food -- unbelievable!!! We tried the prawns, the duck stuffed grape leaves, the roasted eggplant, the goat stew and the grilled whole fish. Scrumptious, all. The only down side is that we were so full, we didn't leave room for dessert. Next time...Special Features:
- Sunday Evening DinnerrosieDined on 7/27/2014Food is excellent and creative, however the warm octopus stuffed with feta was not a personal favorite. Kokkari potatoes are wonderful, the chicken roasted perfectly, and fantastic desserts particularly the house-made ice creams. The service was impeccable and the restaurant appears to run flawlessly smooth for such a large busy place. It was a little uncomfortable having another party very close to our table, and the noise level is too high, making the experience not as relaxed as I'd like.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!!ElbetoDined on 7/26/2014Mediterranean flavor, the lamb is excellent so is the service the hostess and waiter welcome like family, should go there when in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closest Greek Experience in the USdenopotterVIPDined on 7/26/2014Best Greek food I have tasted anywhere here in the States- I am Greek, and grew up on all the food served here, and it is if my yiayia put her hands in everything. Great atmosphere, restaurant plays Greek music in the background. Have eaten here at least a dozen times, and I live in Dallas but return here every trip that brings me to SF. All menu items are authentic and delicious. You will leave satisfied from this restaurant.Special Features:
- Fantastic Greek foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014Lives up to its great name. Traditional Greek menu items but also new and exciting ones to try. Excellent service by our waiter. Would love to come back here if ever in San Fran again (we are from Australia).Special Features:
- Excellent stop!shelman88VIPDined on 7/25/2014This restaurant came highly recommended from several friends and did not disappoint. The food was perfect, service impeccable, and atmosphere awesome. Will highly recommend this place to friends and family.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014My wife and I come here on most of our special occasions. The dinners are good but we usually just get a variety of their wonderful small plates.Special Features:
- sluggish or? waitermallegriaDined on 7/22/2014We asked to order a specific drink from the bar(no drink menu fyi) and we were told that a specific ingredient necessary for our drink of choice was missing from the bar a few months ago when somebody else ordered this drink.what? Hmm, I was suggesting to please see if it may have arrived today. Waiter insisted that probably not and I had to plead with him to please check again.We really wanted those drinks and were a bit disappointed that there was no drink menu with fancy drinks but a humongous bar. it turned out that the bartender had in the meantime purchased the missing ingredients and voila we finally after pulling a few teeth, we got our drinks. but, boy the hassle to convince him to be a waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/21/2014Fantastic food and good ambience as always. Had trouble with my reservation and was treated as an outsider until I proved it. Lunch service was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2014We had a great time, the hostess was very nice and the food was great! A must do!Special Features:
- Extraordinary!KellyDDined on 7/20/2014We had four first courses, two entrees and two desserts...the desserts were good but everything else was truly exquisite! Great restaurant, I could eat there every night of my visits to SF...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This food is no jokeporklumpiaDined on 7/18/2014LOVED everything about the entire experience! Found great reviews on Yelp and our dinner still exceeded all expectations! Wanted to try everything so opted to not to get an entree but dive into all their awesome appetizers. Had the lamb riblets (#1 thing to try), grilled octopus, lamb meatballs, grape leaves, hummus and pita (although its not called hummus), fried zucchini and spanikopita. I would pretty much order everything again because it really was a feast. Then for dessert we got the baklava (I'm a huge fan and had to try it) and subbed the ice cream for baklava ice cream too (our waitress said we could order like this since I was stuck between the too). OMG was all we kept saying all night and I'd HIGHLY recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Successful Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014The maître d was fantastic. Upon arrival we told him we're entertaining clients & he insisted (w/ a smile) on putting us in the main dining room. Our clients are foodies & were impressed with the ambiance, food & service. Thank you all very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely come back againIngridDined on 7/18/2014I'm glad I made a reservation beforehand because the place was quite crowded when we went there for lunch on Friday. There were a number of people waiting by the door for a table. Our server was genuinely friendly and attentive. We ordered the zucchini cakes, grilled lamb chops, and baklava, all of which were superb. The grilled lamb chops were flavorful, tender, and juicy. On another note, while the baklava was good, it would have been too sweet had there not been the vanilla-praline ice cream on the side. All in all, I will definitely come back here again to try the saghanaki, salmon, and souvlaki.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing lunch.EatinfoolDined on 7/18/2014Something must have changed at Kokkari that's to its detriment. Food just isn't the same. Must be a new chef. Have been here many times and loved the creativity and flavor. Food was bland and a side of potatoes tasteless. Prawns used to have a marvelous tomato sauce that's gone. Won't be returning.
- Still at the top of their game!WillGDined on 7/17/2014After all these years I'm impressed that Kokkari continues to shine. The food is always delicious and the service is friendly, professional and knowledgeable. It continues to be one of the best restaurants in SF.Special Features:
- Delicious AgainSFfoodieVIPDined on 7/16/2014Kokarri is my favorite restaurant in San Francisco. The lamb chops are fantastic and the fish very fresh. Other favorites are the Tzatziki and the grilled octopus. George is the most fun waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastes like being back in GreeceFlickDined on 7/16/2014The best greek food out of greece we have eaten - we ordered a lot of mezze, and all were great, particularly the zuchinni fritters and the calamari. Would have loved to see santorini tomato fritters on the menu too, but cant have everything! Will be back (just as soon as we can get another reservation!) and try the larger plates. If in a group of 6, the table infront of the fire, where they spit roast meat, is a must-have table. Extremly fast and attentive service.Special Features:
- Need combo appetizercustomerVIPDined on 7/15/2014Instead of tzadziki, melitzanasalata, taramasalata etc separate at $8.50 each w lots pita + some cucumbers on EACH plate, why not offer a combo? Not enough room on table for 3 plates. We ended up taking pita home. We had also been served French bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in all respects!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/13/2014Excellent food and service! From appetizers to entrees to dessert, superior quality and preparation. Really excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualBluesphereDined on 7/13/2014This has become my "go to" restaurant in SF for business meetings because it's comfortable and not unbearably loud, and it is also a great place to eat, which is the point. It is breathtakingly expensive and I don't eat there often if it's not for business, though. Everything I've had on the menu is excellent. The vegetables are fresh and well-prepared, and not needlessly drenched. The meats are very flavorful and have incredible sauces. The dishes are right sized. The waiters are excellent and make sure you have a great experience. There is always something good to try, and it's always good. Oh, and so far they are holding the line on putting bacon or bacon-derived products on their food. Yay. Highly recommend.
- ServiceDariaVIPDined on 7/12/2014Daria was spectacular! Great, friendly service in a crowded restaurant. Exceptional.Special Features:
- Delicious!!MaryFVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had an early reservation (6:15). The hostess was very pleasant and we were seated promptly. We were in the back dining room, where it seems to be a little cooler because you are away from the fireplace where the food is being spit roasted. The staff was spot on, very familiar with the menu and service couldn't have been better. Then there was the food. Excellent. Everything was wonderful. The lamb chops are fab and the wood-fired fish was perfect. Although we did order main courses, I could have been happy just having appetizers. Couldn't have had a lovelier experience.Special Features:
- Anniversary luncheon reviewFrontiergirlDined on 7/9/2014Everything was excellent except that our guest was made to wait for 15 or 20 minutes before bringing brought to our table. The maître d' had our name (it was on our reservation ) and we gave him our guest's name. He assured us that he would bring her to our table as soon as she arrived. She was caught in the shuffle, apparently and we had to go looking for her after waiting for half an hour. That was the only downside to the meal. But it was unfortunate because our guest had traveled a considerable distance to meet us at this restaurant.Special Features: