Funky Monkey Wine Company
912 N. Mills Ave
Orlando, FL 32803Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Funky Monkey Wine Company
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicksitaliankitchen.com/
- Phone: 4074271447x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Weekend: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch & Brunch: Available for private events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Ashley Nickell - Chef D Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Funky Monkey Wine Company's Nick's Italian Kitchen offers a full selection of catering menus. We can cater your events from 5 people to 500 people. Corporate, weddings, parties we can take care of every detail. Nick's Italian Kitchen is available for private and group events for lunch and brunch. contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Nick's Italian Kitchen can be reserved for your group please contact restaurant directly for details.
- Private Party Contact: Eddie Nickell 407-480-5650x
- Entertainment: Monthly Wine Dinners featuring guest speakers from around the world
For more information and event dates visit www.nicksitaliankitchen.com.
- Special Events: Monthly Tasters Guild Orlando Wine Dinners. See www.nicksitaliankitchen.com for schedule.
A word from Funky Monkey Wine Company
Restaurant Description: Funky Monkey Wine Company’s Nick’s Italian Kitchen is a relaxed neighborhood wine bar and eatery near downtown Orlando in the Mills50 District. This restaurant and wine bar is beautifully decorated with hard wood floors, tablecloths, and warm candlelight where earth tones, a stylish wine themed decor and beautiful bar set the mood. This "stylish yet unconventional" wine bar serves 130-wines by the bottle; 40-wines by the glass all served in beautiful Diva Glassware and offers diners a classic Italian fare. An extensive menu offering delectable salads, unique appetizers, entrees ranging from Steak to our house made Lasagna and wine and cheese pairings are just a sample of what this hot spot offers locals and tourists alike. Monthly Wine Dinners featuring guest speakers from around the world and nightly specials keep the Nick’s exciting and new; everything about this place is fun and pleasantly Funky Monkey. Visit us online at www.nicksitaliankitchen.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Funky Monkey Wine Company - Best Restaurants in Downtown Orlando ›
Funky Monkey Wine Company reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (18)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (8)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (5)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- I dined at Funky Monkey WineOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/31/2013I dined at Funky Monkey Wine Company on New Year's Eve. They had a special menu for the occasion with great sounding offerings. While there, another patron sent back her dish. The stuffed avocado appetizer that my date and I had was really good. The entrees however were sub-par. My scallops were luke-warm, and my date's steak flavoring was not impressive. We still enjoyed the experience however. Good wines.
- Declining over timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013New Year's Eve was my boyfriend and my 5th visit to this restaurant. The first time we went, we thought it was wonderful and we left raving about pretty much everything. Since then it has just gone downhill. When we arrived on NYE not only did it take several minutes for the host to seat us, but the bread came without plates, and the both entrees came out rare (filet and duck). Even after sending them back, only duck was edible. We gave up on the filet and requested scallops instead, which was mediocre at best. The only staff who seemed to care about our bad experience was our waiter who comped us 2 glasses of bubbly. I feel that it is completely unacceptable that no manager ever even apologized for the terrible experience.
- Amazing divorceJeremyDined on 12/14/2013In our party of 8 there was 5 adults and 3 children all if whom loved the messy divorce sushi! That was the highlight of the evening, along with the amazing help from Anoop. Very knowledgable about wines and all the food listed. Had great dinners. And excellent wine recommendations. Will advise everyone to stop in and get a messy divorce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great dinner. Lots ofMikeDined on 11/16/2013Had a great dinner. Lots of food well prepared. Great service. They gave my wife cake and ice cream since it was her birthday. The appetizers are large so one is enough for 2 people. Soup was great. Will be back.Special Features:
- What's there to say....MarcDined on 11/1/2013Funky Monkey is absolutely fabulous. Have always felt this way and have never been disappointed! Great food, great staff - an all around Great Restaurant!!Special Features:
- Half price sushi MondaysTehwickedDined on 10/14/2013Is just awesome. Great selection and the wait staff, while just a bit slow, was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Menu for the seasonsLonnDined on 10/8/2013Great Menu and delicious food in a quiet atmosphere. I wish my neighborhood had a place like Funking Monkey on Mills. My friends enjoyed every aspect of the meal. Recommend it highly.Special Features:
- ServiceSelleyDined on 9/28/2013So my family and I went to the funky monkey for dinner. The food Was great but the service however was mediocre. Our Server only offered us wine and beer to drink. My parents and grandparents Don't drink alcohol. It wasn't until after getting our appetizers were we aware that They had soda to offer. That was a turn off for me as a guest. After our appetizers were cleared it took about half and hour to get our Main course which I thought was kind of long seeing as the restaurant wasn't completely full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing specialchuckVIPDined on 9/21/2013The Wine List Is just Ok, The Appetizers Were Good Along With The Deserts. The Main Course Was Just Ok. We Went During Restaurant Week, So Maybe They Were Cutting Corners. I Was Expecting Better.
- Chef Gordon Ramsay HELPLawrenceDined on 9/20/2013A total disappointment The place was empty, only 4 full tables on a Friday night at 7PM never a good sign We ordered 2008 bottle of wine no presentation she just opened it and poured. My friend John said, ‘not as good as I remembered it’ looked at the bottle and it was a 2010. in wine 2 years makes a different. Then the food finally came (over an hour later). My fish was dry and overcooked. I took two bites out of it and told the server, she took it away and the manager came back and said your fish was fine, we tasted it and you’re not getting a new one or the old on either, here is your bill. I spent $35.00 for an avocado appetizer and two bites of fish. I am not telling anyone not to go there but when you do “Remember it is own fault”
- Our reservation was for 6:30pmAllieumpaVIPDined on 9/16/2013Our reservation was for 6:30pm and we did not get our entrees until 8pm and then part of the order was incorrect. Seemed to only be one person in the kitchen and not enough servers.
- Not what I had hoped forCgd7Dined on 9/14/2013Service was attentive and very good. The wine list selections were not what I would expect for a restaurant entitled a "wine co". Fish entree was good nothing spectacular. Orange chicken was sub par with rubbery meat.
- Great Kitchen!Scooter1Dined on 9/14/2013Gourmet kitchen in a somewhat unexpected neighborhood location. Super service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy to OverlookOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2013This small, intimate resturant is easy to miss on busy Mills Avenue. Once inside the pleasant surrondings invite conversation and intimate dining. We found the appetizers and entrees wonderful. Desserts were only average. Especially good was the red snapper in a white wine, mushroom and herb sauce. We were introduced to this restaurant through the Magical Dining program and we will be sure to return. The parking is a little bit of a problem, but there are spots available in the sister restaurant's, Bananas, two doors away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical Dining?MikeWDined on 9/7/2013Magical Dining month at Funky Monkey. Starter excellent, desert wonderful. Entre not so good. We go here all the time as it is one of our favorite restaurants. This time was not so good. Both my wife & I ordered NY Strip & shrimp for the main course. Steak was of mediocre quality & though I asked for it rare, it was on the well side of medium rare. The very small grillded shrimp & seasonal veggies (typical microwaved squash, etc) was cold. Wish I had ordered the sushi! This will not deter us from coming back, but it seems to be that in general the Magical Dining month menus at most restaurants are less than imaginative and not up to usual standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightwine4meDined on 9/6/2013This was a great date night place. We tried the magical menu, which had 3 courses and it was delicious! The chef was great about accomodating to an allergy. Will definitely visit again!Special Features:
- Taster's Guild August Tasting DinneCarlaDDined on 8/27/2013Taster's Wine Guild August Seafood Dinner Tasting was great. The wine choices complemented the food and the chef's selections of food were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, atmosphere andallons59Dined on 8/20/2013Great food, atmosphere and service--a special occasions get away!Special Features:
- Favorite RestaurantMelissaDined on 8/19/2013The Funky Monkey is a wonderful restaurant. Their 1/2 price sushi night on Monday is top notch. Otherwise they have a great happy hour menu other days with 1/2 price wine (wine is not 1/2 price on Mondays). The errupting monkey is A plus.Special Features:
- Uniqueabrook65Dined on 8/16/2013The wine menu is filled with many inexpensive tasty wines. The watermelon salad is an interesting combination of food items that is very refreshing for the summerSpecial Features:
- Unique and NiceDenMoloDined on 8/8/2013My wife and I came in for a nice birthday dinner before a theater performance, and it was quiet with nice music, candlelit, and our server was on top if things. We had a great time and had great food, even the wine choice was perfect!Special Features:
- Always goodDAR1Dined on 8/5/2013We went there on a Monday and they have a great sushi special. All rolls are half price rolls. They have great specials. A friend in our party had a chocolate desert and loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a great little place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2013The food is always excellent, a little different and fun! Service there is outstanding; they're very attentive, but not hovering over your shoulder. Prices are good for the type/amount of food you get and the wine list is pretty good. They also have a full bar so you can pop in for drinks and appetizers if you're not in the mood to sit down to dinner.Special Features:
- Good but used to be outstandingDefenestratusDined on 7/20/2013Been going to Funky Monkey for a long time and our most recent trip after about a 6 month absence was a bit underwhelming compared to visits past. The wine was superb as usual and the appetizers we had were fantastic. The main courses however were a bit underwhelming. My snapper was a bit dry and my wife was told that the pasta that came with her elk was different than what she got. It was still good but before I couldn't ever complain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food @ Best PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2013I love this restaurant. The summer special menu was a delight and no skimping here. For $25 I challenge you to find anything better in this city, at least not at this price. Heck you pay that for a piece of meat most places. I had BBQ fall-off-the-bone baby back ribs, mashes and cooked greens as an entree & cheese, sausage and shrimp grits appetizer. WOW The dessert was ordinary. My friend had strawberry shortcake (pretty good) and I had bread pudding, pretty dry and tasteless. But hey....for $25 I'm not fussing. Nick was our server and was gracious, knowledgeable and accurate. Edammames were not as done as usual but we were first guests of the night. I love Funky Monkey and it's commitment to fresh, organic and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday Night SushiMikeWDined on 7/8/2013Brilliant as usual! My wife & I really like Funky Monkey and have been there on a number of occasions, but never before for sushi. We saw the Monday Sushi on their website & decided to give it a go. Well it was worth it, the flavors were fresh and the combinations excellent. The added bonus is that 90% of the sushi menu items were half price. The staff go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick gives great service.abrook65Dined on 6/25/2013Nick gives great service. Salmon was very overcooked. Wine was delicious.Special Features:
- The service by Nick is outstanding.abrook65Dined on 6/15/2013The service by Nick is outstanding. He adds so much to the experience. Nice variety of wine by the glass. Food is good, not great. Overall, a very nice experience.Special Features:
- AwesomeTifftiffDined on 6/14/2013One of the best places I have eaten in a long time! The food was great and our waiter was beyond awesome! We will be going back for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food in a quiet placesureshotDined on 6/12/2013The Warm Monkey salad, spinach mushrooms and bleu cheese wilted by hot balsamic vinaigrette. The Scottish salmon was perfectly prepared. Lemony marscapone cheese layer cake to finish it off. Quiet, dim surroundings highlighted by the shine of crystal glasses. Intuitive service. Perfect for anything from a light casual meal to a very special occasion. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I was hoping for.MrCavyDined on 6/11/2013I've heard many people say how great Funky Monkey was. I was horribly disappointed. The service was subpar and extremely slow. The portions were minuscule for the exorbitant prices that were charged. My friend ordered the jumbo Scallops which cost $25. There were 3 rather small scallops on His plate. Everyone's meal was just as small and just as over priced. I would not Return nor would I recommend it to others. In fact I'd recommend people avoid it.Special Features:
- ConsistentTonyDined on 6/3/2013This is the fourth or fifth time i have eaten at Funky Monkey and it is always consistent. The server was extremely personable and made the evening very pleasant..Special Features:
- Main course special was very goodGracieVIPDined on 5/31/2013Appetizer Tuna tartar was not tasty or fresh! Steamed Won Tons were just okaySpecial Features:
- Great experience~ always!AmyElisabethDined on 5/20/2013Took two newbies and we had great sushi, service and wine suggestion! Always consistent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun nightOldtimersDined on 5/20/2013We had great food, great wine, and a great time. Our waitress was excellent.Special Features:
- Food is good, service is slowDikaiaKnightVIPDined on 5/18/2013First time to Funky Monkey & I have to say the food was tasty overall. The Stuffed Avocado & Crab Cake appetizers were great. The duck entree was excellent with a crispy outstide & tender inside. The salmon dish was a little bland to us & could have used more flavor. For dessert we had the bread pudding, it was tasty but you could tell it had been heated up in the microwave, that is a no-no for me. Service was very slow, it seems like they may have a tiny kitchen. We waited about a half hour for apps & another 15-20 after that for entree. Dessert also took a while & even paying the bill was a fifteen minute affair. Staff was friendly. Wines were good. Overall I would say it is a restaurant I would try again not longing to go back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice room. GreatSmithVIPDined on 5/18/2013Good food, nice room. Great service. Lots of sushi choices. Other food has an asian slant. We had the Scottish salmon (very good) and short ribs (just ok). Steam pork dumplings were excellent.
- Excellent ExperienceSammihowardDined on 5/13/2013We always enjoy the food and service here. Wine list was a little scrimpy as they are moving out old and bringing in new. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!epilotDined on 5/11/2013Good food, decent wines and good service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Wonderful service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Wonderful service and food was delicious. Enjoyed the wonderful experience and casual dress option as well.Special Features: