Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
117 East Gay Street
West Chester, PA 19380Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/
- Phone: 6104294046x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:45am - 10pm
Thursday & Friday: 11:45am-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Frew
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email for details
- Private Party Facilities: Please call or email for details
- Private Party Contact: Marissa Merrill 6104294046x
- Entertainment: Thursday Karaoke10pm-2am
Friday & Saturday DJ 10pm-2am
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is limited parking available on the surrounding streets, but there are private operated lots and a public parking garage available near the intersection of East Gay Street and Walnut. Also, there is a private lot operated directly behind Doc's in the back alley.
**NOW VALIDATING PARKING** We will validate up to 2 hours of parking at the Chestnut Street Garage (located less than a block away at the intersection of Walnut and Chestnut).
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
A West Chester institution is born! In the late 1800's and the 1900's, there were more than a dozen places to enjoy oysters in West Chester. As we developed our classic 1900's Oyster House, we strive to pay tribute & homage to the great tradition of enjoying little aphrodisiacs. We have spared no expense to create an Oyster House that transforms you back to a simpler time of food, fun & merriment in a local oyster house. At Doc's, our mission is to provide an exceptional seafood & raw bar experience for our guests & exceed their expectations for quality & service in a warm, vintage environment. It is our joy to serve you the freshest sustainable seafood, the finest handcrafted beers & a superior wine selection! We hope you enjoy our addition to beautiful downtown West Chester.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)great for outdoor dining (41)vibrant bar scene (27)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (22)hot spot (21)special occasion (18)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (9)romantic (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014- Serivce was great but too noisy! - I was not impressed by the swordfish I ordered - Kinda pricey - Coconut shrimp appetizer was delicious but they only give you 5 shrimp - no drink specials on a Saturday...disappointingSpecial Features:
- Go for a drink and oystersBerwinDinerDined on 3/14/2014We go here frequently and we have come to the conclusion Docs is a great place to sit at the bar with friends, have some drinks and oysters. The sit down dining is good, but not great for the pricing. 3 of us ordered the crab soup and collectively sent our Maryland Crab soup back because it was so salty. The server and the manager kindly offered to replace it with something else. Several of us ordered mussels and they were decent, but once again overly salty. I don't know if the chef was gone or if there is someone new at the helm, but the food was off. I don't want to pan Docs because it is not bad, but I just think they need to address the seasoning and prep in the kitchenSpecial Features:
- Food was terrible. Can't figureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2014Food was terrible. Can't figure out why since this is a seafood restaurant and we ordered seafood.
- excellent food quite atmosphereTommlDined on 3/11/2014excellent food quite atmosphere I had the crab cakes. Fantastic!Special Features:
- Fantastic PLace to EatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014My wife and I and 6 of our closest friends had the joy of dining at this establishment on a Friday evening. Pretty sure I couldn't say 1 bad about the entire night. The food was seriously good. Service was punctual, fun and friendly. Great job. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood - friendly serverbirthdaycelebrationDined on 3/5/2014We were at Doc's for dinner on a Wednesday evening for our son's birthday - the place was quite busy. Our server was Dan and he was great - very friendly - knew the menu and the beers they had on tap - very helpful in making recommendations. Did not rush us through dinner but was there when we needed him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we came to celebrate our anniversaroptimusDined on 3/1/2014we came to celebrate our anniversary. it was quite nice. a little noisy but the atmosphere made up for the noise. food seemed fresh n came out hot. service was good and our waitress new the menu well. overall i enjoyed my experience there. would come again.Special Features:
- OYSTERSbillthirdVIPDined on 2/24/2014Great $1 per Oyster night and soups are thick and yummySpecial Features:
- Great service, great menucetolaDined on 2/22/2014Great service, great menu and great food - and they know how to make a perfect manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BummerOutandaboutDined on 2/19/2014Although we've dined here before, it was either for brunch or lunch; never dinner. The "all-you-can-eat" crab legs were a rip off as you had to work to find any meat in them. Our waiter's curt comment ("that's why they're all you can eat") didn't help. He also wasn't too helpful about a couple of our questions regarding side dishes and didn't offer us coffee or dessert until we asked. Our biggest complaint though: the watered down Makers Mark drinks. My husband and I drink this exclusively and we know what it should taste like. We don't mind paying $10.50 per drink but we expect to get what we order and not have it diluted. We like the ambience and the combo playing on Wednesday night was terrific but we'll stick to lunch at Doc's.Special Features:
- SeafoodtlupicaDined on 2/15/2014Doc Mc G has very good seafood and a good bar. Great selection for fish, oysters, etc. can choose from several preparations for fish. Always dependable and easy to make a reservation. Friendly staff and prompt service. Outside seating in the summer. Only negative is the noise level, but there are several small rooms if you ask when making your reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surpriseGmanDined on 2/14/2014While I have had dinner here before, it was years ago and with a large group. This time was for Valentines day evening and it was a complete delight! The food was terrific, the service was excellent and very friendly...everyone at the restaurant seemed to be on the same page to ensure customers were having a great time. Keep up the good work, we wiill be back for sure!!Special Features:
- Lobster in Februaryfoodie1VIPDined on 2/11/2014We each enjoyed a fine 2 lb. lobster dinner in February. We usually hold off until summertime in Maine for our 2 lb. lobsters so Doc's lobster dinner on a cold, snowy night was a special treat.Special Features:
- Always reliablechrispyVIPDined on 2/10/2014We like coming for the specials during the week. The service is always the best. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. Oysters are always cold and fresh. Fish is well prepared. Doc's is quickly becoming our go-to spot in downtown West Chester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lovely restaurantKatherineDined on 2/7/2014On the spur of the moment, we decided to make reservations at Doc Magrogan's on a Friday night. The place was pretty full when we got there so we sat upstairs. The ambiance was great - warm and cozy - and the food was excellent. I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Awesome ResraurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014We had a great experience. Great food choices and drink options. Smells like seafood, but honestly not a big deal because it is a seafood restaurant. I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you like seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp cocktail, oysters,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/2/2014Shrimp cocktail, oysters, and tuna nicotine salad were great. Sat in the bar area, enjoyed setting. We were there early (5 PM on a Sunday) and it was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Relaxing, friendly, great serviceJimPuffyDined on 2/1/2014We definitely look forward to another great couples night out. Food was delicious!Special Features:
- Great Friday Night SpotLauraDined on 1/24/2014Fantastic oysters. Soup initially came out lukewarm, but wait staff remedied the issue.Special Features:
- 80th Birthday Event for Jack KriegBetsyDined on 1/24/2014We were celebrating my father's 80th birthday and all in all had a great experience. It was an especially cold night, however, and asked for our table to be changed to a warm place in the restaurant. We were subsequently moved by the hostess to a table near a back door entrance/exit and my parents were blasted with cold air every time the door opened. The hostess did not use her head......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpecialschrispyVIPDined on 1/20/2014One thing we are learning about Magrogan's is they have great weekday specials. The dollar oysters on Mondays were quite a deal. It was apparent a lot of other people know about them since the place was full on a Monday. Only minor complaint was we had to wait for a table a while past our reservation time. We could have ordered appetizers at the bar while waiting but we would rather be seated at a table, so a few points off for that minor inconvenience. The seafood is always fresh and cooked to order. The service is very attentive and friendly. We will definitely be back for the different specials on other weekdays.Special Features:
- Enjoyable last minute dinnerLovetoeatoutDined on 1/17/2014We were able to get a reservation at the last minute on a friday night. Our table was close to the bar, which was really busy, so it was a bit loud but not enough that we couldn't hear each other. I had the mahi fish tacos which were great. My husband had the blackens tiliapia which he also enjoyed. Our server recommended the tacos and was glad he did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While dining with two friends,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/14/2014While dining with two friends, we ordered an appetizer to share....then one of my companions placed the entree order. She told the waiter we would all have the crab cakes. When the entree came out there was one plate...he had interpreted the order as being one plate to share between 3 people! When we explained the mistake he said he would correct it, but then was going to leave the one plate. We asked him if he could take that plate back until the others were ready so that we could all eat together, which he did. When the entrees came out a little later they were luke warm, and the "sweet potato hay" on top was tasteless...I wish I would have sent it back...
- service from the bestjdbmillviewDined on 1/1/2014We went new years day, they only had 3 servers, a bartender, and a manager, but had an almost full dining room. You would never know they were short handed on the floor. I work in the restaurant business as a national chain kitchen manager. This place was fantastic! Not only did the three servers own the floor, but we saw the manager shucking oysters like a pro. Our food was great, service was great, place looked great. I want to be able to afford to go every week. Great job to those who worked New Years Day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring a lot of moneyDanaDined on 12/30/2013Portions very small for the $$. The app we got had no taste. It was the lobster roll but all it tasted like was salad. VERY little lobster and sauce. Had to ask for bread. My pasta dish was very small. If I eat everything on my plate then it is a small serving size. And my drink (whiskey sour) came with a lime and had no sour mix.
- Great food but a tad expensivejlb7465Dined on 12/28/2013This was our first time going to this restaurant and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The food was prepared just right. You could tell the seafood was extremely fresh and the sides were seasoned to perfection. The only drawback is that some of the appetizers were a tad overpriced. Otherwise and excellent choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersFinleyDined on 12/28/2013We were seated on time by a pleasant hostess. Drinks were good as was the service. Salads need help. Lobster roll good .ambience fun. Probably would try it again . It was pleasantly noisy with great music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood Dinnerhoteri2357Dined on 12/27/2013Food was excellent, as was the service. Great place for seafood and reasonable lobster prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the hype, Just so so...KmeitzDined on 12/21/2013After receiving a warm welcome from the hostess, it was all down hill from there. We had reservations for 7pm and they were already out of a few items and there were no specials or catch of the day. The only positive compliment for our server was that she was pleasant. She wasn't familiar with the drink or dinner menu and even forgot our drink order. Before our dinner arrived, we both order a glass of wine. When she returned with them one glass was filled to the appropriate level and the glass was not even a quarter of the way full. When she returned to the table, she told us that the first bottle was empty. Lastly, when our dessert arrived, she only brought silverware for one of the orders. The food was just so so and lacked flavor
- Great Food and ServiceYankeesDined on 12/21/2013Food was phenomenal. The server made us feel like we regulars even though it was our first time there. Friendly staff and great cocktails! We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Consistent food, cozyKthroughfoodVIPDined on 12/21/2013I have been eating at Doc's for a while now and every time is great. I usually get the mahi fish tacos because they're the best I've found locally. Recently I ordered the sampler (salmon, shrimp, scallops) and it was perfectly portioned., leaving me satisfied not stuffed. My family returned last night for AYCE crab legs which were really good and well cooked. I'm new to oysters and I always try two per visit - Amir has great recommendations. Melissa is great at the bar and will make anything you ask even if it's new.Special Features:
- Fresh and simple seafoodchrispyVIPDined on 12/15/2013We were pleasantly surprised with our first visit to Magrogan's in downtown West Chester. Good seafood places in these parts are very hard to come by. Although few would call the preparations "gourmet" the fact that everything was fresh, perfectly cooked and simply prepared was fine in our book. We were delighted that they had a large selection of raw oysters from various locals which provided a very good cross section of flavors from sweet to salty. They were served perfectly chilled. They were a bit pricey but we understand they have half price oysters on Mondays which we will definately be coming to. Our server Jamie was knowledgeable, accommodating and efficient. We look forward to coming back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good oysters for sureHajmanDined on 12/12/2013Docs had a very good selection of cold season oysters. They were shucked well and properly served with cocktail sauce, oyster crackers, Tabasco, oyster juice and fresh, very hot horseradish. The clam chowder was mediocre - too thick and the clam to potato ratio was too low. The bar is pretty loud. Service was friendly with the right attentiveness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Doc's! Family traditionJenAVIPDined on 11/29/2013Love Doc's! Family tradition to have lunch on Black Friday. Stood in line for over an hour for 1/2 price gift cards - best deal in town....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out with friendshavingfunDined on 11/16/2013We went on a Saturday night with friends. It was busy, but the staff worked very hard to keep things moving without making anyone feel rushed. The food was great and the lobster specials made the prices unbelievable. We had a great time and a delicious meal!Special Features:
- getting hungryPattyDined on 11/16/2013slow service. we waited a long time for our food. otherwise a good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Lobster was Outstanding,NesahminyDined on 11/15/2013The Lobster was Outstanding, but the mussels in red sauce were just so so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable, predictableRaymondDined on 11/8/2013I like Magrogan's and want to like it more. The ambiance is good and the food selection is good, but the food likes any ummpphh. Never had a bad meal here, but never had a great one, either. For decent food, good atmosphere, and dependable meal, I'd recommend it. Good bar selections, too. Just wished there was something on the menu that was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizer was never delivered.lamalladyDined on 11/6/2013Appetizer was never delivered. Swordfish was A nice, fresh piece of fish. Preparation fair. Vegetarian pasta dish had no flavor. We will not be returning.
- We dine here often. Came forpcje4VIPDined on 11/6/2013We dine here often. Came for all you can eat crab legs. The rest of the group had crab cakes, blackened shrimp and grilled seafood salad. All enjoyed their meals and dessert is very good too. Great place in West Chester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.