131 Duane St.
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cityhallnewyork.com/
- Phone: 2122277777
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Friday 7:30 am-10:30am
Monday - Thursday: 12 Noon-10:00pm
Friday: 12 Noon-11:00pm
Saturday: Brunch 10:00am - 3:00pm Dinner 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Owner Henry Archer Meer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from City Hall
City Hall is housed in a landmark building built in 1863. Chef Henry Meer creates a unique dining experience that honors the rich culinary history of Old New York; featuring an excellent raw bar, straightforward preparations of seafood and dry-aged butcher cuts of prime steaks and chops as well as a wine list featuring over five hundred labels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
City Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (22)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (12)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (11)romantic (7)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nice local findDboyVIPDined on 8/16/2013Great local restaurant that we went for our final dinner before becoming parents. Good food, nice service, good location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but good foodSammyVIPDined on 8/14/2013We went with a group of 5 for dinner. Outside seating was very nice this time of year. Food was good, portions small, but food was delicious. Prices of their alcohol much higher than other restaurants. Side dishes expensive for the size.. It was nice for one meal, but will go to other restaurants in the neighborhood for a less expensive dinner meal. Also, waiter was an older gentleman, who was kind of pushy and annoying, he kept asking us to order more side dishes when we told him no several times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The other City HallTopBrassDined on 8/14/2013First time going to this restaurant which is situated in a historic building in downtown Tribeca. Overall the food was great and very healthy. The wine list was extensive, but I stayed away from it and went with a French beer that blended well with the dishes I had. Well worth the trip if you want to go visit the other City Hall.Special Features:
- Remarkably spacious restaurantSomeGuyDined on 8/9/2013Remarkably spacious restaurant given its location in Lower Manhattan / Tribeca.Special Features:
- The service was excellent.CustomerDined on 8/9/2013The service was excellent. The waiter was super attentive. However, the food was pretty bad for a pricey restaurant. I went for restaurant week and even that was not worth it. It might be one of those restaurants that serve you dishes with cheaper ingredients for restaurant week. But that wasn't the only thing. MY food was burned to the extent of bitter taste. The dessert was excellent...because i guess they can't burn that. I even got something off the regular menu - calamari - but it tasted like frozen food reheated with a lot of batter.Special Features:
- Good "solid" restaurantAndrewVIPDined on 8/8/2013Great food...great service...lovely atmosphere and dining space. City Hall has a nice well rounded American style menu, friendly staff and attentive owner/chef. All of our dishes during restaurant week were flavorsome and of the right portion. We found the dressings used on all the dishes to be extremely tasty. The bar on the side was energetic and worth a visit in its own right. Definately worth visiting.Special Features:
- Went for lunch during restaurantdining42Dined on 8/6/2013Went for lunch during restaurant week expecting a pared down, not so exciting sampling, but found the menu to have great choices. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, portion size and innovation of each course. For an old City Hall area mainstay, the creative menu has certainly kept up with the times. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, great foodDniceVIPDined on 7/31/2013Great atmosphere, great food and exceptional service. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service. Largest portionssusanrenoDined on 7/30/2013Great service. Largest portions we ever had during restaurant week! Excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Restaurant Week ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2013rRefreshing and ample baked salmon appetizer. Large chimichurra steak cooked just right with with tasty sauce. Pleasant sidewalk seating except for drips from washing of fire escape above. Service good except for waiter "confirming" three times that I didn't want to order a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice decorationsAvesDined on 7/24/2013City Hall is very nicely decorated; however they not only served us the wrong salad, but the ingredients were different than the menu, instead of beets and goat cheese, they swtiched my salad and gave me goat cheese and grapefruit with a strange salad dressing. It also took them 20 minutes to bring out dessert out. I do not recommend this restaurant for people who want to eat under 3 hours.
- Wonderful lunch spotSteakmmmmmmmmVIPDined on 7/24/2013Enjoyed a great restaurant week lunch. Nothing at all to complain about!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great serviceClaudetteNYDined on 7/23/2013reminiscent of a New Orleans restaurant, lots of room between tables, excellent unintrusive service, decently-priced, lovely setting.Special Features:
- Great room, overpriced so so foodcitycatsmanVIPDined on 7/23/2013Good for business lunches or a quiet gathering of friends, A lovely, spacious restaurant that serves small portions of ok but unexceptional food. There are a dozen places in the neighborhood where one could get better food at less cost. The draw here is the space and ambiance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back for steak!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2013Had dinner here during Restaurant Week and had the monkfish entree. The entree was deliciously prepared and the entire menu took advantage of seasonal ingredients that enhanced each of our dishes. For dessert the Meyer Lemon Tart and Caramelized Peach Tart were outstanding. We ate at a table in the bar area and loved the intimate ambiance. Definitely worth a trip!Special Features:
- Good burgers!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/18/2013I have been here before and always enjoy the food. Although a bit pricey, I have never left feeling that the meal wasn't worth it. This past time I went, the waiter informed us when we sat down that they did not have any chicken, which meant that almost half of what was on the menu was not available for order. Being that I was the one that picked the restaurant and made the reservation, I felt a bit embarrassed.
- Great meal, old New York ambianceDaveZDined on 7/1/2013Old New York for the 21st century off cobblestone street in TribecaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchFaizonDined on 6/29/2013Went for a early Brunch on Saturday. Service was very good and helpful and were open to offer suggestions. The Oysters were fresh and main entrees were good. My friends enjoyed the eggs Benedict (one with smoke salmon and the other with short ribs. I had the Tribeca Classic which was a lot of food. I felt the eggs were cooked with a lot of butter, but I guess that's a personal preference.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2013I was introduced to City Hall about 3 years ago by a friend and have been back 5 times since. The food and service are fantastic. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was very accommodatiBobNDined on 6/19/2013The restaurant was very accommodating of an early arrival (i.e. arrived before opening time) with seating and service. The food was excellent, perfectly prepared and delicious. The service was excellent with particular note that the ice tea glasses were refilled regularly at the correct points in time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so at bestHarp28VIPDined on 6/12/2013The place looks good but the food and ambiance left a lot to be desired. Disappointing, especially at those prices!
- A go-to favoriteTashyaDined on 6/3/2013I always have a good experience at City Hall. The food (though a la carte and a little pricey) is always excellent and the service friendly/expert. They can be a little slow sometimes, so do let them know if you have time concerns.Special Features:
- GoodtogoHappyCamperDined on 5/12/2013Place has great atmosphere,service and above all food. My only complaint is that the fixed price for brunch did not include coffee and juice. That added about $30. To the bill. Fixed price should be fixed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunching in TribecaSundeepVIPDined on 5/12/2013Very nice spot for a Mother's Day Brunch. Kid friendly, great dining choices for all, a bloody mary bar on occasions (customize your own). Not too crowded, open air and outdoor seating, low stress and pleasant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fine, but nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/11/2013The food was fine, but nothing special. The service was awful. Waiter had attiude. When asked whether the mojitos were from a mix, or made fresh with fresh muddled mint and he acted offended and said "of course not". They were from a mix without muddled mint, and thus were sent back. We had to ask for bread and again received attitude. The restaurant was nearly empty on a Saturday night.
- We ate outside for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2013We ate outside for lunch. We had deleicious burgers and a greek salad. When we told our server that it was our friends 50th birthday, he surprised us with a complimentary piece of cake with / candle. It was a lovely lunch! We have been here before and also had a wonderful meal that time too. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful AfternoonWhitwinsDined on 5/4/2013My wife and another couple enjoyed a great and interesting meal. Good food with a flair, good wine, service with a smile, helpful suggestions and a personal touch. We sat in a quiet corner both near the bar, but separated by a wall. Felt like we were the only ones at our own special dinner party. Smiles and kind words from every staff member you encounter. A special place indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably the most underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/26/2013Probably the most underwhelming $200 ever spent on a dinner. Our waiter was miserable- he told us our choices were "too starchy" and took his sweet time bringing us food and drink. The food was just ok- but not worth it at all!
- While the atmosphere was lovelyAck12Dined on 4/24/2013While the atmosphere was lovely and the food was good, the service was less than top notch and the bill was excessive for what it was ($11 for a side of grilled asparagus, $9 for 3 tiny scoops of sorbet). The waiter was indifferent at times, almost surly at others. I doubt we'll be back.Special Features:
- Terrible. Undercooked fishOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/17/2013Terrible. Undercooked fish special that was simply reheated instead of being reprepared. Waiters were butting into conversation constantly, using decanter to refill wine glasses right between my colleague and me instead of off to the side of the table, etc.
- About the same quality asBryanDined on 4/15/2013About the same quality as a 3 or 4 star franchise hotel restaurant. At these prices it didn't get near my expectations.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2013Excellent food and service in a quiet environment that permits easy conversation...without having to shout!Special Features:
- Worth the travel from uptownOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/8/2013Worth the travel from uptown to meet friends. Perfect atmosphere for quiet dining that is great for conversation. Very good yet unobtrusive staff.
- Tribeca ClassicGeeRVIPDined on 4/1/2013Classic New York venue in historic building. Bar area very comfortable, and service attentive. The fish and chicken entrees were really tasty.Special Features:
- Good food, GREAT on street parking.likegoodfoodDined on 3/29/2013I had been here several times and chose it to entertain out of town guests. The food was very good but the service only fair. The server had too many tables even though the restaurant was not at full. As a result the service was slow with a long wait between drink refills. Note to the owner...you make big profits on drinks so this hurts your bottom line. The bus person almost spilled a bottle of sparkling water on the the table and seemed amateurish, not appropriate at these prices. Finally there was no bread on the table which I think is cheap on the part of the owner. Best feature is parking in this area (it was 8 PM on a Friday) is a breeze. There is tons of on street parking spots as a result of the regulations in the area after 7 PM.Special Features:
- Standards slippingGeoffVIPDined on 3/28/2013Getting a bit long in the tooth, City Hall. Came with a group of four and felt pushed to purchase more expensive wine etc. The food was not as vibrant as on early trips. have eaten here numerous times over the years, this time was a bummer.Special Features:
- Fine but not great.jennyVIPDined on 3/23/2013They were out of several items and the wine by the glass I was interested in ordering. The food we did order was very good though. I can't really recommend the restaurant though as it just had a little bit of a run down feel and the décor was more chain restaurant look than unique to NYC.
- Renovate City HallArcoDined on 3/22/2013City Hall may be in the need of a renovation. The place feels overly large and unwelcoming - kind of cold. It feels a little past its prime. Having said that, the service is solid. The wines are great. The food is still quite good: hanger steak was terrific and cod fish came out piping hot and perfectly cooked.Special Features:
- Spectacular Food for LunchJR12Dined on 3/15/2013I have been to City Hall before and they always have good food. Recently, I went for lunch with a group of colleagues because City Hall was just a couple of blocks away from the meeting we were going to have. We used the lunch to prepare for the meeting. To my surprise, the food was spectacular. Two of us had the baked cod special that came with sauteed kale and a tomato ragu. Others had salads. Everyone thought their dish was one of the best they ever ate. Also, the restaurant sat us at a round table near the windows. It was quiet, bright, and faciliated good communication. The service was professional but unobstrusive. I highly recommend City Hall.Special Features:
- Start to finish, a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/9/2013Start to finish, a wonderful dining experience. From the friendly yet professional hostess to the servers and bus staff, City Hall gets it right. The staff is alert and attentive - empty glasses are quickly refilled, plates cleared and napkins refolded but never in a way that makes you feel rushed or intruded upon. Add to that the excellent meal - from the jumbo sized chilled shrimp appetizer to the perfectly done filet and roasted brussels sprouts, to the coconut infused basmati rice - just thinking about it makes me want to go back. My husband declared the cheesecake he had for dessert the best he's ever had. All in all, a top notch meal all around. We will most certainly go back.Special Features: