140 - 3866 Bayview Street
Richmond, BC V7E 4R7Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bluecanoerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6042757811
- Hours of Operation:
Winter Hours effective October 1 Sunday to Thursday - 11:30 am to 10 pm Friday and Saturday - 11:30 am to 11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Danilo Ibarra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Manager 6042757811
A word from Blue Canoe
Situated in the heart of historic Steveston Village, with unparalleled views of the harbour and Fishermen's Pier, Blue Canoe is a unique seafood restaurant offering the best quality and variety of local fresh seafood, prepared simply with the freshest local ingredients available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Blue Canoe - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Blue Canoe reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (95)great for outdoor dining (84)neighborhood gem (57)special occasion (39)great for lunch (37)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (29)romantic (22)hot spot (21)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (17)notable wine list (15)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Blue canoe floats my boat...Talltower1Dined on 6/27/2014Beautiful setting in picturesque Steveston Village, the restaurant sits on the pier at water's edge. Wait staff is patient, yet attentive when needed. The menu features a variety of seafood selections, as well as some selection for non-seafooders. Try the tuna ceviche, marinated in coconut milk before lime juice is added; served with plantain chips...nice light dinner with a Caesar salad. My wife had skirt steak with chimichurri and a side of grilled corn--amazing flavours blending together. Altogether, a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- LuveatingoutDined on 6/25/2014A very enjoyable evening with good food and wonderful service. I would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dessertjunkieDined on 6/21/2014good value for money - excellent find for dessert junkiesSpecial Features:
- Dry like dust burgersDianadinerDined on 6/20/2014Amazing views, beautiful setting, excellent service but food was definitely lacking: burgers had minimal toppings, coleslaw was an afterthought on fish and chips platter and fries were soggy -- overall very disappointing...Special Features:
- Patio heavenMusselLoverDined on 6/18/2014We had a reservation - thank goodness - offered patio seating when we arrived. Gorgeous late spring evening and the provided blankets after the sun went down were welcome. Opted for multiple share plates instead of entrees - mussels, ceviche, salmon flatbread and roasted brussel sprouts were all served quickly and in great presentations. We even took a picture of the mussels. The view of Steveston harbour was worth the cooler evening outside. Come early as you will need the time to find parking. Successful outing that we would like to repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad quality controlblancoDined on 6/17/2014I have eaten at the Blue Canoe many times as I live very close to Steveston. My friend and I ordered the quinoa salad with beef...although the taste was good the difference in the meat between my dish and my friends was amazing. My beef had a great deal of fat that I had to cut off...not good quality control when one plate is so different from another. This also happened when we had a family dinner...my portion of the exact same dinner as my husbands was very noticeable! Unfortunately, we are making other plans for my Birthday family dinner for these reasons.Special Features:
- Over Priced2ndanniversaryDined on 6/15/2014My husband and I came here to celebrate our 2nd Wedding Anniversary. We ordered the Fish Tacos to start and they were very dry (and for what it was, overpriced) , my Husband ordered the CAD Tenderloin cut and when it came it looked like an awful cut of meat - there was so much fat on it and for $30 we would have expected more - we should have said something at the time and returned it. I got the Prawn Linguine and it was ok, but it was also overpriced. We chose not to have dessert here as we wanted to choose a different environment afterwards. I would ONLY recommend this restaurant for Lunch to people, as the dinner/dining experience was not great.Special Features:
- Great ServiceGoodValueDined on 6/13/2014A must for everyone. Good food and great service. Even the Chef came out to greet guests. Would return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lousy food and a long waitwritegirlDined on 6/8/2014Usually we have a decent experience at Blue Canoe but this time it was awful. We waited 1 hr 40 minutes for the entrees and had to send one of the appetizers back to the kitchen. It felt like a very long dinner and two out of four entrees was extremely mediocre. The only reason we didn't send them back was that we could not deal with waiting even longer. I filled in a guest comment card and left my number but no one from the restaurant has called.Special Features:
- JojoDined on 6/8/2014Went for my mom's 79th bday. Booked for 5:45 b4 the dinner rush. Service and food was great until we ordered desert and had to wait quite a while as the kitchen was slammed. Waitress came back 3 times apologizing for delay which was very much appreciated. All in all, very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Deck..PMMcDined on 6/8/2014Love the deck here as it is covered, you're in the fresh air but not the heat of direct sun. The restaurant is also facing the main boardwalk so you have a beautiful view of all the boats and can people watch at the same time. Our server was excellent, managed our group of seven expertly. We had a nice time here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special dinner outsgrogesDined on 6/7/2014Above average outing allround however we did not receive Patio as requested ( Booked 3 days in advance) The noise level inside was too high , which spoiled what my wife thought was going to be an intimate dinner out. ( wedding anniversary) A large table of partiers on the next table were quite loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome spotmark24Dined on 6/6/2014Great seafood and restaurant with a nice view. Highly recommend the seafood share plate..everything was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisykatieDined on 5/31/2014The bar was very noisy.its a nice view but since the noice level was high we could not enjoy outdoors.Special Features:
- Good food and ambienceHappydinerDined on 5/31/2014A group of us had lunch on a busy Saturday. We made reservations, which is a must if you want a table on a sunny Saturday. We originally had a table in the outside patio, but it was windy, so we asked to be moved. The hostesses was very accommodating and found us another table (for 6) even though the restaurant was starting to fill up. Food and service was very good. I ordered the Paella which was very good. Two of my friends ordered the Fish and Chips which was a big serving at a reasonable price. Next time, I will try the Fish and Chips! My other two friends ordered the sandwiches which was again a nice big serving. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eats at the Blue CanoedelishdiningDined on 5/30/2014We had a great time:) The ambience and the outdoor patio perched on the water's edge is fabulous. Ordered the Fish tacos - tasty but lacked the advertised avocado - which would have made it more yummy. Even a side of guacamole would have been perfect. The tacos came as a duo with nothing else except a small container of what looked like salsa verde that was seriously lacking in taste. A lovely salsa and some guacamole would have taken the tacos up a notch. My husband ordered the burger and was satisfied. Our server was lovely and gracious:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location is everythingSeajay1VIPDined on 5/30/2014Bonnie, our server was great. She had a good sense of humor, was attentive to our needs, and happily recommended the best of the best on the menu(and the very tasty Sangria cocktail). The restaurant had an eclectic mix of customers this evening from families, to groups and a vibrant bar clientele. Tables both inside and out have benefit of the marina, however, on a warm sunny evening the patio gets the best views. Our friends enjoyed the fish & chips and the highlighted halibut entre. I had the halibut and thought the fish was a bit dry but the spices & other flavors were great. My partner had mussels which were nice and plumb but he did not think they were fresh. Overall a fun place and a good location for friends to connect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/26/2014It appears everyone in this restaurant is just going through the motions - food OK not great - service not great and if you want to dine inside and not outside you will really be outside anyway since they leave the doors to the deck open and a stiff breeze goes right up your back while you are eating - most uncomfortable.
- The following 421 reviews are from the Blue Canoe reviews archive.
- A DisappointmentWherestheseafoodDined on 5/21/2014The mussels seemed pre-cooked (leftovers?) because they were tiny and shrivelled with too many empty shells and the bowl not even full to the top. The fish tacos were missing the fish. Our water glasses were never refilled despite being empty for half the meal. An email to the restaurant has never been responded to. We sat in the restaurant which is decent, but the deck is much better. If I return, it will be for a small (non-seafood) snack and glass of wine only on the deck.Special Features:
- Burger was not good at all!live4liveDined on 5/20/2014Ordered a Waterfront burger, took a first bite it was ok. Then after second bite . It was so dry and i look inside it was all burnt. The Server was like you should of told me when i ask you how was the food. But then i didnt even took a bit yet when she ask.Special Features:
- Great meal as usualcindy604Dined on 5/20/2014Another great meal with a beautiful view of Steveston. A bit pricey, but I guess you pay for the view as well. It's becoming our go to place for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2014Went there for lunch on Monday, May 19th. Good wine, good food, excellent view and ambience!!!!Special Features:
- EmbarrassingPickyDined on 5/17/2014Out of town guests wanted fish and chip dinner in Steveston. Party of six total. Four ordered fish and chips. Three of the orders were satisfactory the fourth was not. The fish piece was half the size of the other 3 servings and the batter was close to blackened. It should never have left the kitchen let alone delivered to the table. One order of "fresh" halibut. Small portion price considered and must have been frozen as was mushy. One order mussels and chips. Mussels were tiny and overcooked. Chewy as octopus. The broth was watery and tasteless. The meal was away overpriced and the noisy somewhat run down venue didn't make up for the cost.Special Features:
- No soundproofingBabsDined on 5/17/2014Food fine, ambience on the waterfront fine, but extremely noisy, not just busy.
- Good Choice Anniversary CelebrationvillagevicDined on 5/17/2014Servers were very attentive. Menu selection appealing. Presentation lovely. Very good dining experience commensurate with pricing.Special Features:
- Food & serviceBCDAninaDined on 5/16/2014Too long to obtain any service whatsoever (13 minutes after being seated) but when the server did appear she was excellent and attentive. Please stop saucing everything! Sauces should be on the side or as a base so I have a choice as to how much and when I wish to use it - especially on something like halibut which is delicate to begin with and doesn't need much in the way of a sauce.Special Features:
- Top Notch!iRestoDined on 5/10/2014Bonnie was our waitress, she made our dining experience amazing! Beautiful ambiance and delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood and dessertNunuDined on 5/9/2014It was our second visit to Blue Canoe. Ordered oysters as starters, very fresh. We ordered a variety of mains and all of us were happy with our food. Special mention to the great dessert selection. We all almost licked our plates despite being quite full already. It got loud in the main dining area as the evening progressed, if you want quiet, I think the patio is better. Overall a very satisfying meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Steveston Restaurant Gem4CruisingBuddiesDined on 5/8/2014On our first trip to the Blue Canoe we were amazed by the food, scenic views, and outstanding service provided. Our guests were equally impressed. Would definitely recommend it a must stop when visiting beautiful Steveston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptional serviceAdinerDined on 5/6/2014I made a reservation on Open Table. Had a couple important requests (severe shellfish allergies & table with view) and everything was met - and exceeded. Incredible arrive. The food was amazing (try the roasted squash & chick pea salad), and the atmosphere was great. It's not a quiet place, but it's not as loud as a pub or bar. But that may be because you can't help but have a great time there. I can't remember our waitress' name, but she was an incredible lady. So glad she talked me into the lemon pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening at Blue CanoeCKHAMDined on 5/5/2014We had a large group and our food came out quickly and everything was delicious! We had guests from out of town and they were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good dinnerSuzieQDined on 5/3/2014We had great service and wonderful food. The noise level was "energetic", which we found a tad loud, but other than that a great time.Special Features:
- awesome servicesnowyowl2014Dined on 5/2/2014miyaki oysters are not fresh, got sand in it and too small. strawberry margarita was tasteless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary treatangust63Dined on 4/28/2014We went to Blue Canoe with our daughter to celebrate our Anniversary. We had a lovely meal and our server was very friendly and attentive. The room was very noisy though with a very large group having dinner at the same time. The kitchen did a great job expediting food though so we did not have to wait an excessive amount of time for our meals despite it being so busy.Special Features:
- Great menu choice and ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014We celebrated my mother's 81st birthday (don't be put off by the number; she is a hip chick) at Blue Canoe in historic Steveston. Our table had a sweeping view of the harbour but more importantly the menu offered many choices for the range of tastes of our party. Son: hamburger lover. Grandpa: Gluten Free. One daughter: seafood intolderant. Rest of us: anything goes! The Seafood Trio salad was amazing! 18 year old son gave the thumbs up for the delicious burger. Pasta and halibut - lovely. The desserts are also unusual and noteworthy including the brown sugar lemon meringue pie for the birthday girl. We are planning a return trip for mother's day and truly can't wait! Last but not least, our server was lovely and accommodating :)Special Features:
- charming butlovtodineDined on 4/26/2014Hi Great view.Pleasant staff.Very pricey for the quality of some of the food and small portions. Your paying for the water.If your not a real foodie you may be o.k.Special Features:
- A great dining out experience,EatOutaLotDined on 4/19/2014We were entertaining relatives from Australia and the were were much impressed with the choices we all made, a share plate of kale and artichoke dip started the evening, c/w with a great wine; our main selections were grilled wild salmon, haida gwaii halibut and two orders of angus beef tenderloin and wild mushroom stew. We all enjoyed our meals along with a very well informed server. We live in Steveston and this is our third or forth visit, we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place..!JeffDined on 4/18/2014I took my wife there for her birthday and asked them to make me look good and they did not disappoint. They gave us a great spot on the patio, our server (Dana) was kind, efficient and attentive, and the food was excellent, (my in-laws loved the brussel sprouts). Even though my opinion may be a bit skewed as I was a former employee there, it is still the best spot in Steveston. ISpecial Features:
- Great menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/16/2014We enjoyed the great variety of choices for dinner, the setting is beautiful and the staff was very, very friendly and helpful. I would go again, definitely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!DeniseDined on 4/5/2014Ordered the mussels, flat bread and lobster mac and cheese, couldn't be happier! Our server Jason was super friendly and helpful as well. Best casual restaurant in Steveston :)Special Features: