The Old Inn On The Green
134 Hartsville New Marlboro Rd.
New Marlboro, MA 01230Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Old Inn On The Green
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldinn.com/
- Phone: 4132297924
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm (July-Oct.), Wednesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm (Nov.- June)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Platt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from The Old Inn On The Green
Dining at The Old Inn on the Green is an extraordinary experience: fine wine, great food, the dining room illuminated by candles, the murmur of conversation from the other room. As Chef and Owner, Peter Platt is always firmly in charge, working to create innovative and memorable meals that are an event unto themselves. Over the past several years, the Old Inn has developed the tradition of serving a Prix Fixe menu - each Saturday evening a different four-course meal is prepared, and guests are offered a choice of two main courses as well as a choice of dessert. On other nights, the Inn offers a well rounded menu of a la carte items, with specials which change daily. The wine list is graced with a array of thoughtfully selected estate bottled wines from France, California and Italy. The dining rooms are lit entirely by candlelight and there are fireplaces in each room. Comfortably worn windsor chairs and mahogany tavern tables furnish the dining rooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Old Inn On The Green - Best Restaurants in New Marlborough ›
The Old Inn On The Green reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)special occasion (25)romantic (24)notable wine list (17)neighborhood gem (10)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (4)good for groups (3)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OKmiller02464Dined on 10/25/2013This was our second visit which was not as good as our first. Very expensive (dinner only food bill for 2 about $110) for what was a rather average meal.Special Features:
- Delicious CharmMUF21Dined on 10/18/2013Beautiful setting in historic village in historic inn with great, great food and perfectly matched wines. The menu showcases the highest quality meats and fish done in classic dishes. Seared foie gras was excellent but almost the star was a tiny beet tartin -- that was truly memorable. This is not avant garde food so go expecting delicious but not extraordinary. This is not to be negative in any way. The only issue, however, is the price: the tasting menu with wine pairing for two was way over $400. We have no issue spending that amount and more for a special dinner but it needs to be exciting and memorable. But it's such a charming place that we would be happy to return for the candle lit rooms alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peter continues ot amaze inLenoxVIPDined on 10/13/2013peter continues ot amaze in this colonial candlelit gem. the sunday deal is the best value/quality inthe berkshires. they do not do substitutions but you wont be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in the BerkshiresLuv2dineDined on 9/29/2013Built in the 1730s this Inn looks grand and almost southern from the outside with its colonnade but inside has multiple small cozy rooms lit by candlelight only. The service was excellent and the staff served appetizer and dessert specials in addition to our orders. The food was excellent except for one minor item on my plate which was short ribs. I enjoyed the rare steak that came with It, however. Depending on the night of the week when you go, the prix fixe dinner with five courses is quite pricey or you can get a prefix dinner with three courses which is quite reasonable. We had the latter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic restaurant, haute cuisineCather123VIPDined on 9/7/2013When it started getting really dark I realized that the place was totally lit by candles, including the hanging chandeliers. Quite fabulous. And the food was absolutely terrific. Warm duck breast on spinach salad was unique and delicious, the rack of lamb perfect, and dessert was some of the best we've had in years. Lightest pastry stuffed with the freshest fruit. Worth the p;rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat for our anniversarykwbslpDined on 8/25/2013This restaurant is amazing. Everything was perfect. We arrived late for our reservation ( we did let them know) and they were able to accommodate us with no problem. Despite the level of excellence, this place is not the least bit pretentious. Although we didn't get the tasting menu, we hope to do that when we are a little more flush, we had several items from it that were absolutely delicious. Every course was a delight and our server was attentive, enthusiastic, helpful and a very good listener. I had the lamb and I just loved it. In addition, the portion sizes were just right. I would recommend this restaurant with no reservations whatsoever and hope to return for our next anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting ridiculously expensiveDavefromnewmarlboroughDined on 8/23/2013Been coming to the inn for several years.. It's getting insanely expensive. I plan to think twice before going for dinner. There are other alternatives in town.
- A nice changeJobriDined on 8/23/2013Not many good restaurants in the area so worth the 13 mile drive Good food great service nice ambience Joe hSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off the beaten path gemOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/11/2013It pays to go off the beaten path to dine at this outstanding restaurant. We have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed. Get the tasting menu with wine pairing for a special treat. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious sophisticated, friendlyTdcctVIPDined on 8/8/2013In an unlikely rural location, Old Inn on the Green is one of the finest restaurants I have enjoyed. I have worked in NYC for 35 years traveled extensively and consider myself to be a very good home cook. The food is beautifully presented, properly seasoned while honoring the excellent ingredients. Worth a special trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Inn. We got marriedBjf924VIPDined on 8/4/2013Love the Inn. We got married there and we go back every year for our anniversary. We also love to go every season, though, it always a special and unique experience. A must not miss when in the Berkshires!Special Features:
- Fabulous dining experienceAntonucciVIPDined on 7/28/2013This is by far one of the best restaurants we have ever dined at! We have celebrated our anniversary here for the past 15 years and are more impressed each year! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best yetk9conorDined on 7/21/2013I have been waiting a long time for an experience like this. Unbelievably delicious food in a comfortable environment and great service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2013The food was outstanding. Each and every dish was extremely well-prepared, interesting, and delicious. The waiter was professional, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful., but not intrusive. The setting is an old inn. It is quaint and romantic, and lit only by candlelight. The rooms are small, which helps to reduce the noise level. The only complaint registered by anyone in our party was that the air conditioning was insufficient given the warmth of the evening. This reduced the pleasure off the experience which was otherwise faultless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb as alwaysLindaCDined on 7/17/2013The Old Inn never disappoints - innovative preparation of fresh local ingredients, excellent service, beautiful ambience, and reasonable prices considering that this is top-notch cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceSDTCDined on 7/14/2013Wonderful food and amazing ambiance. The servers were all incredibly nice, but not particularly attentive or consistent. We were helped by a variety of servers and they all seemed a bit frazzled. Worth overlooking for the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, one of the finestmiller02464Dined on 7/3/2013Outstanding, one of the finest restaurants I have ever been to.Special Features:
- Very disappointing. The diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/1/2013Very disappointing. The dining room smelled like the fireplace hadn't been cleaned out from the winter, the food was just mediocre and the service was terribly slow (and the restaurant wasn't really busy either). This was our first visit, but we will not be back.
- World ClassrepstDined on 6/28/2013We have been eating in this place since the 1980's and it never fails to make us happy. Absolutely world-class food served in dining rooms in an inn from the 1700's lit ONLY by candles, and served by a staff that is friendly but not in the in-you-face way. We die for the bread made on the premises. We have eaten in many places around the world that try hard but don't reach the level of cosistency and finesse that makes this specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/8/2013This place is worth a trip by itself. True 18th century charm sets the decor for a fabulous meal. There are only a small and large tasting menu available on saturday. We had the latter, and it was a delight. I strongly recommend to take the wine pairing. In contrast to the wine list on which each bottle was seriously overpriced - in my experience only the Tour d'argent in Paris did worse - the pairing selection gives value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2013Off the beaten path but highly recommended. The food was perfect in every way, Max our waiter was exceptional. The amuse bouche and the little taste of the potato leek soup added the right touch to our 1st courses of Sautéed Soft Sell Crab and a delightful salad.Special Features:
- Not as outstanding as in the pastrdrdDined on 6/5/2013This has been our "go-to" place for special occasions but, this time, the quality of the food, though quite good, did not measure up to the superlative levels attained in our past visits. Given the cost (plus non-acceptance of a use of a valid discount certificate for a seasonal special for only 1 of 2 dinners - meaning ordering the same items on the "seasonal" menu from the higher cost a la carte menu - despite the fact that one of us was ordering from the a la carte menu) and less than unique quality, we'll spend our special occasions elsewhere in the future.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner in the BerkshiresWorthThePriceDined on 6/1/2013My wife and I stayed at The Old Inn On The Green and had dinner there for our 10th anniversary. Beautiful historic setting/ambiance, all the dining rooms are lit by candle only, no electrical lighting, which is a great period touch. Absolutely outstanding meals. My wife had the lobster risotto, which she said was the best she'd ever had (and she's had quite a bit, her parents emigrated from Italy in '68). Her entree was the shortribs, which were amazing. I started with the fois gras, served with wild mushrooms and it was melt-in-your mouth pefect. My entree was the herb-encrusted lamb, which was cooked perfect, we were sad when the food was gone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a lovely yet simpleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013This is a lovely yet simple restaurant in a country setting. The service was excellent, the candle light romantic and the food divine. For a special occasion (it was my birthday) it was quite special. The portions however, by American standards, are a bit small, for the price of the Prix Fixe menus. The mid-week alternative might be better suited for many with a budget. We will return, but perhaps mid-week.Special Features:
- We did not know that thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/13/2013We did not know that this restaurant had a prix fix menu only, and thought it and the wine prices were quite expensive. The steak was some of the best we have ever eaten, however, and the veal chop and fish were delicious as wellSpecial Features:
- Cozy, five star dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/13/2013My husband and I went to stay at the inn for a 2 night getaway and we enjoyed the wonderful dinner at their restaurant on the first night. The dining room was cozy with a wood burning fireplace and we were seated at a corner table. The room was only lighted by candles and the fireplace. The menu had a delicious variety of options and every item we ordered was exceptional. The staff service was perfect. It was a wonderful cozy romantic dinner. We took our own time dining and were never rushed. This is a great place to go to for a special occasion or for a romantic evening with the one you love!Special Features:
- Fine dining in a romantic settingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/9/2013One of my favorite restaurants ever. Classic yet contemporary food lovingly prepared in a romantic, historic, and unpretentious setting. The rooms are lit only by candelight! Friendly, very knowledgable servers. We wanted to linger and our food was never rushed. Extensive and impressive wine list. Delicious cocktails, but not much of a bar area to speak of. On Saturdays they offer a tasting menu with wine options, and a la carte menu. Over the years we have gotten both. Fish, meat and poulty are equally well prepared. Greens and vegetables are very fresh and taste it! Lovely cheeses, homemade desserts. Truly, it doesn't matter what you order. We have never been disapointed at The Old Inn.Special Features:
- Everything you want in a countryCC78VIPDined on 1/4/2013Everything you want in a country inn--superb food, beautiful candle lit setting and friendly service albeit very leisurely
- Foodie Perfection in the BerkshiresOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/31/2012We dined at The Old Inn on the Green on New Year's Eve and enjoyed a seven-course tasting menu that was (as foodies) one of the great meals of recent years. Every dish was bursting with flavor and prepared to perfection. The Old Inn is also one of the most romantic and perfect New England dining rooms you could hope to find, entirely lit by fire and candlelight. Perfection!Special Features:
- This our fourth time hereeboatVIPDined on 12/14/2012This our fourth time here and the food and service has been consistanly great. There are fireplaces and the lighting is with candles very romaticSpecial Features:
- Thanksgiving to remember PerfectNicholasDined on 11/22/2012It's been so long since I had an experience this exquisite that I forgot how good dining at a first class restaurant can be. This was our first time here. Our group of 8 sat down for a Thanksgiving meal which surpassed my expectations both of food & service. Charming atmosphere & over the top service was a delight. The staff did not even pause when we told them we had a vegetarian request at our table. To me the price was very reasonable for a dinner service as memorable as this. We cannot wait to return. Thank You Old Inn on the Green!Special Features:
- Great for a NE ThanksgivingEtnaDined on 11/22/2012This is one of those rare restaurants that has it all: superb, refined dining using fresh local produce, a wonderful wine list,an exquisite candlelit setting in an eighteenth-century inn in the New England countryside, excellent service and a friendly,knowledgeable staff. All this for a very reasonable price. A five-course Thanksgiving meal was just $75. This was my first Thanksgiving ever in a restaurant and it felt just right for this particular holiday. I have never been disappointed in the food, ambiance or service at the Old Inn on the Green. If you can, stay overnight in one of their glorious rooms and enjoy their fresh-baked breakfast treats the next morning.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Excellent dining experience, not our first time there. Will go back again and again!!Special Features:
- Worth the trip from AnywhereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2012What can I say about this place that hasn't already been said. It's been on my bucket list for years and worth the wait. Excellent and understated service. Roasted beet curried soup and braised lamb stew could not have been better. Superb flavors. Could have made a meal of just the pâté and bread. Chocolate lava cake? Rich, rich, rich! Quiet, romantic totally candlelit atmoshere. Fixed price dinner was very reasonable, but don't look for huge portions. Looking forward to another trip to that area so I can taste more of Chef Platt's creations. Elaine Platt (no relation, at least none that I know of)Special Features:
- What a wonderful surpriseRichDVIPDined on 10/15/2012What a wonderful surprise it was to our party of 4 when we arrived at the Inn. We were there for a 2 night stay to enjoy the fall scenery. We were amazed at the food that came out of the kitchen and the wonderful service that accompanied it. In the 1760 ambiance of the Inn with "candle only" lighting we were treated to a 5 star dinner by a very concerned staff that could do nothing but please. The menu is over the top and the wine recommendations were spot on.All the popular foodie chef's have nothing on Peter Platt here. A wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Great but....hungrynatDined on 10/6/2012Ultimately, we had a marvelous meal, with one caveat. We went for a special occasion and arrived punctually for our reservation. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. We grew quite frustrated and hungry, standingbin the middle of a busy bar. That said, we were comped a bottle of wine for our travails, and tried the chef's tasting menu. It was out of this world. Farmhouse, candlelit ambience, an attentive waiter, unforgettable food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEMORABLE DINING EXPERIENCE.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2012MEMORABLE DINING EXPERIENCE. GREAT ATMOSPHERE ... FOOD SUBERBLY PREPARED AND PRESENTED.Special Features:
- A special placeMartyBVIPDined on 9/2/2012Our favorite place in the Berkshires for fine dining. The screened in porch in good weather is charming. In the winter candlelight and the fireplaces make the experience special.Special Features:
- as always was a great experience.babyVIPDined on 9/2/2012as always was a great experience. Fine food, good service and lovely ambiance.Special Features:
- Spent the evening at the InnmscmscDined on 9/2/2012Spent the evening at the Inn after a fabulous meal. Breakfast /brunch the next morning was also wonderfulSpecial Features: