Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro
45 Purchase Street
Rye, NY 10580Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rubysoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 9149214166
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Brunch: 11:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Greg McDowell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is available in the wine room for up to 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 9149214166
A word from Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro
Ruby's is a brilliant gem in downtown Rye. It is chic, casual and comfortable. It charms guests with its varied menu, friendly and professional service, and its lively ambience. Ruby's stylish décor showcases an authentic zinc bar from Paris, beaded chandeliers and ruby red drapes. From its coffered ceiling and tasseled sconces down to its marble mosaic floor, no precious stone has been left unturned.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro - Best Restaurants in Rye ›
Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (24)good for groups (23)great for lunch (20)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (17)great for brunch (17)special occasion (13)great for outdoor dining (10)kid-friendly (10)romantic (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- The overall experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2008The overall experience was nice. The only comment that we all had was that we felt rushed. Our German friend thought that it was really inappropriate to bring the check without us even asking for it. There is this fundamental difference in European and American dining where waiters bring you the bill without asking if you are actually done. We would have probably wanted dessert (as we indicated that we will think about it) and also might have had another round of drinks.
- Noisy, but such good food.SailorboyVIPDined on 10/7/2008Noisy, but such good food. New menu as of October, and the choices are many. Rubys has introduced smaller portions and a "half and half" ( soup and small plate ) for less than $15.Special Features:
- This is one of my favorites.YummymealVIPDined on 9/19/2008This is one of my favorites. The fish is always delicious (so is everything else!), drinks are terrific and the management and staff is ALWAYS accomodating warm and friendly. A meal at Ruby's is a real treat!Special Features:
- We live in Larchmont and wentSushiLoverDined on 9/5/2008We live in Larchmont and went to Ruby's with my visiting parents. It was a nice, lively scene and everyone really enjoyed their food, including the fish special, the pistachio-crusted halibut and the chicken. Also, HIGHLY recommend the chocolate fondue, which was amazing. My mom, daughter and I shared it and there was barely a drop left. Only complaints: 1. I ordered the oysters and told our waitress I liked big, plump oysters. I ended up getting the smallest oysters any of us had ever scene. 2. Our waitress, while nice, somewhat ignored us...and our empty plates. All in all, a nice night out.Special Features:
- The appetizers were great.ChalapeteVIPDined on 9/1/2008The appetizers were great. My husband and I both ordered the halibut for the entree. It was very dry, over cooked and a very small portion. It was not a good value for the money. We didn't enjoy at all. We won't be coming back. This was our first time here.
- Great oysters, interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2008Great oysters, interesting menu, lively, crowded and more than a little noisy.Special Features:
- Too noisey. Difficult to hearOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2008Too noisey. Difficult to hear table conversations.Special Features:
- Fun and friendly neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/5/2008Fun and friendly neighborhood restaurant with a great luncheon menu that included a fabulous crab wrap with avocado and sprouts that was "to die for." The french fries ($6 bucks for a less than generous order) were nothing to write home about, but the oyster and wine selections more than made up for any lapse. The hostess and our server (wish I could remember his name, but think of a young Antonio Banderas) were professional, polite, knowledgeable, patient, and attentive despite the hustle and bustle of the lunchtime crowd. I'll definitely return!Special Features:
- Our party of four was crammedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2008Our party of four was crammed at a small round table really meant for two persons.Special Features:
- The staff and food were execllent.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/7/2008The staff and food were execllent. It was easy to see why the place was crowded on a Monday Night. The staff did not rush us, we only ordered the main course and the speed with which it was delivered was astounding. Excellent presentation, hot and delicious! Thanks for having such a gem on your listing. Looking forward to going back for another occasion.Special Features:
- Our waiter, I believe hisOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/5/2008Our waiter, I believe his name was Adrian, was very knowledgable and made our experience very enjoyable. He has a great personality and should be commended for his hard work. The only diappointment was no Komomoto oysters. We will be back again soon! Kevin HyattSpecial Features:
- I love the ambience at Ruby'sSusieVIPDined on 7/4/2008I love the ambience at Ruby's - it is always vibrant and fun. You can just tell that everyone there is having fun. And, what's great is that the food is a good as the ambience is fun. It's a great fun - I just wish it were a little closer to my home in Northern Westchester.Special Features:
- Nice place. very nice at lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/1/2008Nice place. very nice at lunch time on a summer day. Pricey for lunch. Could have a menu more tailored to lunch time. Would go there again.Special Features:
- Nice menu selection as wellOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2008Nice menu selection as well as daily specials. Love the atmosphere.Special Features:
- We had a very nice dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/21/2008We had a very nice dinner. The food was good, as usual. The only drawback is the noise. The waiter was appropriately attentive, and when we had to send back a corked bottle of wine, he did everything right. We'll be back.
- ALWAYS GOOD WHEN LOOKING FOROpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/15/2008ALWAYS GOOD WHEN LOOKING FOR CASUAL DINING WITH GREAT MENU VARIETY. SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE NO MATTER HOW HUNGRY OR PARTICULARSpecial Features:
- Our waitress dropped a glassOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/11/2008Our waitress dropped a glass of red wine on me and the glass shatterd all over me slicing open my thumb. Though she was very sorry and management was mortified they didnt take her off our table. Not wanting to have to deal with her incompetence for the rest of the evening we left before ordering dinner AND after I bled through 2 cloth napkins. FYI... they offered us free appitizers only!Special Features:
- the waiter forgot our drinks.DelightedDined on 6/2/2008the waiter forgot our drinks. I asked several times for the air conditioning to be made lower (it was too cold) there were huge windows open in the front, and although the manager eventually said she would make it warmer, she didn't. The eggs on the frisee salad came cold. Ugh! What happened to our neighborhood restaurant. When did it slide downhill. What a shame!
- Consistently good food. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2008Consistently good food. Great atmosphere and good service. Never feel rushed. Reasonable prices considering quality of food.Special Features:
- I took my wife there for herScubabobVIPDined on 5/20/2008I took my wife there for her birthday and she had a fabulous time. We ordered, and loved, the two tier raw bar and seared scallops. The oysters on the tier were succulent and the scallops were cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- The service was rushed andRainVIPDined on 5/14/2008The service was rushed and rude. We were 2 women dining and did not get the same quality of service that the "couple" sitting next to us got. The waiter attempted to remove my friends wine glass before it was empty. When we were presented with the check, the waiter continued to bother us constantly to see if it had been settled yet. I had a full glass of wine left and was drinking it over conversation. The waiter came back at least 5 times to ask us if the check was ready yet. At his last attempt, he was so rude as to ask us if something was wrong with the bill. I live in the neighborhood of this restaurant and have vowed never to return. The food was fair, at best.Special Features:
- We had an 8:30pm reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2008We had an 8:30pm reservation and were not seated until 9:20pm. Clearly the restaurant is overbooking itself. We also had a vegetarian in our party. She was very specific about what she wanted to eat. When the food arrived, it was a pile of steamed vegetables with no appeal. She ordered spinach, mashed potatoes and mushrooms. None of these items were on her plate. Our waiter also seemed as if he checked out before we were even seated. Overall, these issues, espeacially the late seating without even an offer of 1 glass of wine, tainted the evening. We are also regulars at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Very reliable and enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/10/2008Very reliable and enjoyable bistro atmosphere and fare. The menu has options to please everyone, service is generally quick and efficient without being intrusive, and the scene is lively and fun.Special Features:
- The food was perfect. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2008The food was perfect. We haven't been in awhile and had totally forgotten how great the food is.Special Features:
- not a proper french bistro...MileneDined on 5/10/2008not a proper french bistro... thogh very popular. frisse lardon: not lardons! eggs overcooked. salad not well dressed (no rendered bacon in dressing) omellete: over- cheesed. to much grease. why not with goat chesse instead? wine: white bordeaux was not indeed white bordeaux. when questione, they said "sorry" menu: some french items (moules maison, omellete, frisee lardon) but basically the menu is an improvement on TGIF. be french without apl;ogy or quit trying- that cuisine does not work in moderation i blame the kitchen. plenty of customers dis-agree with me i'm sure but doesnt deserve name bistro.Special Features:
- The food was good. If theyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/3/2008The food was good. If they could do something about the noise, it would be a terrific experience.
- love it... but I requestedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2008love it... but I requested a table in the front dining area which we didnt get... when i asked the host about it he had a really bad attitude.Special Features:
- Excellent reliable bistroSailorboyVIPDined on 4/23/2008Excellent reliable bistro food, outstanding menu choices, top quality and well prepared. Their specials are always goodSpecial Features:
- Mussels were incredible, asOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2008Mussels were incredible, as was the swordfish salad (though it may have been a special, I cannot recall). The atmosphere is laid-back and fun--certainly not formal or stuffy in any way. Relatively attractive crowd. The only negative element of my dining experience was the jerk sitting at the table next to me -- obviously not a fault of Ruby's! Wonderful place overall; would re-visit, perhaps frequently.Special Features:
- The food is consistently veryOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2008The food is consistently very good; the special of soft-shell crabs in pistachio crust was particularly delicious. One drawback was the noise level, especially since the tables are cheek-by-jowl, and the group next to us was having an especially loud reunion party. The service was uneven; I think the restaurant is a bit understaffed, because our waiter was enthusiastic but appeared really harried. The wine list is good, but we didn't get our bottle until after the appetizer had been served because they "had to bring it up from a special bin in the basement".
- Overall it was very good -OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2008Overall it was very good - our only complaint was that it was at times very loud in the small room in the back (there is nothing much the restaurant can do about this though).Special Features:
- two levels-ate upstairs enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2008two levels-ate upstairs enjoyed the privacy till it filled up (was too noisy due to acoustics-mentioned it upon leaving and was told that they were taking care of it with the coming week) Service was very attentive; Portion size was good; great wine list;delicious onion soup;would certainly go back; when we left the bar was packed; fun placeSpecial Features:
- Quick and attentive service.GoodDineDined on 3/31/2008Quick and attentive service. Food was brought promptly and with correct service. Raw seafood was fresh and prepared well. Entre's were cleanly presented and full of flavor. Great dinner experience.Special Features: