Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro
45 Purchase Street
Rye, NY 10580Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rubysoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 9149214166
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Brunch: 11:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Greg McDowell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is available in the wine room for up to 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 9149214166
A word from Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro
Ruby's is a brilliant gem in downtown Rye. It is chic, casual and comfortable. It charms guests with its varied menu, friendly and professional service, and its lively ambience. Ruby's stylish décor showcases an authentic zinc bar from Paris, beaded chandeliers and ruby red drapes. From its coffered ceiling and tasseled sconces down to its marble mosaic floor, no precious stone has been left unturned.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro - Best Restaurants in Rye ›
Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (26)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (20)great for lunch (19)good for groups (18)great for brunch (16)great for outdoor dining (11)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- m13dDined on 10/25/2014It is located in a neighborhood where there are a lot of mon & pop type stores. The place was full of people waiting for tables and utilizing the bar area. It is a truly a neighborhood restaurantSpecial Features:
- Not what it use to beGHRLVIPDined on 10/24/2014Been going to Rubys for years. Last meal my wife and I had was tasteless. Will not be going back
- RubyBDayDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful steamers, delicious food. The only complaint was it is extremely noisy. Though it was a chilly night, the air conditioning was on and too cold. We asked twice to have it adjusted.Special Features:
- disappointinglisafVIPDined on 10/18/2014Went there on a Saturday night. They made us wait 20 minutes for our 7:30 reserved table which would be ok if the hostess hadn't ignored us when we tried to inquire about the delay. The service was very nonchalant and the food was mediocre at best. Burger was overcooked and the salmon was seemingly thrown on the plate with a few vegetables on the side. The taste was blah. The fries were good though. The tuna tartare pizza appetizer was tasty enough but the bottom was chewy and tasted like cardboard. We ended up scraping the top off and ate it that way. A lukewarm, gluey, soggy berry crumble for dessert was inedible. In general it just seemed like they were too busy to care much about food preparation, presentation, service and customer.Special Features:
- JimFanDined on 10/17/2014Excellent seafood restaurant with French preparation. Bouillabaise (Sp?) is excellent. My particular favorite is broiled sole. Nice variety of raw oysters from various parts; kumamodo's are my favorite. Excellent place for brunch as well. Salmon benedict is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed steak loverFoodloverDined on 10/1/2014We have been going to Ruby's for years . It was always our go to spot for birthdays & celebrations & we loved it. Recently we have found service can be a bit spotty & the steaks which used to be cooked to perfection are no longer. On at least four occasions over the last six months for instance medium rare steaks have arrived medium to well done for more then one of our party , this is not acceptable. We are reluctant to give it up because we love the atmosphere & it holds many memories but we may have to !!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/25/2014Service : Main waiter was ok at best, busboys were rude and did not seem to care about a thing. Food: I was there for lunch, soup and salad should be the easiest thing to prepare I would think. Soups were cold, I was served grilled asparagus with a practically raw egg on top, sent it back.
- Of course, we had oysters!2forlunchDined on 9/23/2014East and west coast oysters started our meal. And they were so fresh and succulent we had seconds! My burger and my friends mussels were excellent. We came for a quick lunch and stayed 2 hours. Everything on the menu we saw on other diners plates. Ruby's was packed for lunch on a Tuesday. A great spot for casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aud1VIPDined on 9/11/2014An overall pleasant experience ! Good food,fairly priced, nice out of doors feeing sitting near open air windows!Special Features:
- Bob's reviewBobbyGDined on 8/31/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Active scene even for Sunday brunch. Good wine list and very good food. I recommend it.Special Features:
- Always ReliaableSandy2757Dined on 8/25/2014Our "when in doubt" destination. The steamers were very small but quite sweet. A larger portion would have been welcome!Special Features:
- NYC style bistro in Rye,NYAJFGDined on 8/22/2014A great spot anytime for food,fun,family & friends.Special Features:
- mpmfloatnDined on 8/15/2014Enjoyed our dinner albeit on the pricey side. All things considered we would go back.Special Features:
- Always good!Sandy2757Dined on 8/11/2014As new Westchesterites, we find Ruby's ti be sooooo reliable -- the food is always good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fresh seafoodJohn5Dined on 8/2/2014We loved the fresh and delicious two tier clams scallops lobster shrimp oysters. We loved the tender calamari. Great Bloody Mary and Long Island iced tea and summer ale. Swordfish, scallops, mussels, filet mignon, and boil abase were perfectly prepared. Desserts were yummy, brownie ice cream sundae especially. Coffees fine too. Great waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice relaxing place for breakfastDuckyVIPDined on 7/26/2014So much better than dining at a diner and get the breakfast dishes in a more refined setting without paying high prices. Food was nicely prepared and very tasty...wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- Impressed by serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014My son thought the oysters best he ever had and food overall was great. We really appreciated the wonderful service.Special Features:
- Not good valueGourmet13Dined on 7/18/2014The food is overpriced for mediocre cooking. The wine list is an abomination, a bistro should have really interesting red wines under $40, where are the wonderful inexpensive Rhones and other French regions at any bistro all over France and yes in the US too. Of 70 reds only 20 medicoraties found under $50. When was the last time they sold their $150's and up. Is that what you expect in a bistro? Maybe the oysters are good, we didn't have them, but it is also supposed to be a bistro, enjoyed the bread, but not a reason you go to a restaurant. Forget about this one.Special Features:
- Ruby'sJoanneJDined on 7/12/2014Food is good but ambience leaves much to be desired..dark....menu could use updating with more lighter fareSpecial Features:
- Good Place To EatcomagicDined on 7/5/2014I liked the relaxed and casual atmosphere of this restaurant. The food was fresh and prepared well and their was a good selection of seafood choices. I was celebrating a 9th anniversary and enjoyed dining here very much. The food was delivered to our table in a timely fashion by a very capable wait staff. Would like to return again to try additional menu itemsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WestchesterVIPDined on 7/4/2014Great & now they have hand towels in bathroom instead of those awful hand driers !I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedmpmfloatnDined on 7/2/2014We were 45 late being seated. Room temperature was uncomfortably cold. Steak ordered medium well was medium rare. Hope this was just a bump in the road as we have always enjoyed RUBY'S in the past!?!?Special Features:
- The following 497 reviews are from the Ruby's Oyster Bar and Bistro reviews archive.
- one of my favoritesmeftabDined on 6/28/2014I always love ruby's; great seafood, love the unusual chandeliers and nice decor that can be good for casual or special occasions. Have had casual dinners there as well as New Year's Eve. It can be a little on the noisy side, but we were able to talk. Always love the food and they are very flexible about substitutions which is great. Its not cheap, but not unusual for a NY restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WestchesterVIPDined on 6/28/2014Hand towels finally in the bathroom which is great! The driers were very inconvenient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rubys is a gemTwigsVIPDined on 6/27/2014always a great experiece -- food service ambience -- all consisitently excellent. one of our favorite local restaurants in Rye.Special Features:
- Rubys never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/24/2014Great oysters, wonderful food, and ambiance. Service friendly and helpful. All good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell shortTiburongirlDined on 6/21/2014Usually this is a great spot but all of our meals were overdone .. It was a busy day , graduation , so I guess the kitchen was overwhelmed . Disappointing though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WestchesterVIPDined on 6/20/2014Love this place! Food & service is wonderful...they have now addressed the hand towels in bathroom (thanks) instead of expecting patrons to use the 'fast food style' hand dryers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in RyekillahkellDined on 6/15/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Rye. It is consistent, service is always spot on, and it is a great date night place. Ill be coming back for years to come.Special Features:
- I love it!MldlmDined on 6/15/2014It is one of my favorite restaurants! It is great for lunch, brunch or dinner. The food is great!. The menu has always something for every one, vegetarian, fish or meat. I love the specials, it is the surprise with the seasonal produce. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WestchesterVIPDined on 6/14/2014Rubys needs to get paper towels for the bathroom. There is a hand drier--similar to McDonalds--this level of restaurant should have paper towels to dry hands. People are using toilet paper for lack of anything else.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bathroom Improvements NeededWestchesterVIPDined on 6/8/2014In a restaurant of this caliber there should be paper towels not hand driers like you see in fast food restaurants. People are using toilet paper to dry their hands.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday BrunchAndrewDined on 6/1/2014Hard to beat half-price bottles of wine & a nice brunch selection on a beautiful spring day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WestchesterVIPDined on 5/30/2014The bathroom has no paper towels to try your hands (only a blow drier like a McDonalds restaurant)--you have to use toilet paper to dry your hands. This needs to be corrected with paper towels in the bathrooms.
- Enjoyable meal with girlfriendsNYCGirlfriends81Dined on 5/27/2014We enjoyed the food, wine & service. A good find! Noise level was fine with moderate dinner traffic. Waiter was friendly & pleasant. We shared several fish dishes, salad & dessert. Were able to take all the time we wanted - to enjoy the food & the conversation which was the point. We meet several times a year & would definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Raw Bar but ....perfconn04Dined on 5/25/2014The meal started well with a selection of oysters & clams on the half shell. They were fresh & delicious. It all went downhill from there. My wife's appetizer was forgotten, & the 2 entrees were mediocre at best.
- WestchesterVIPDined on 5/25/2014Rubys needs to get hand towels for the bathroom. It is rather cheap to have a nice restaurant like Rubys & then use the bathroom & only have hand driers.
- ice brunchlylemDined on 5/18/2014Have been there before for dinner and always enjoyed it. The brunch was excellent. Nice menu and very good service.Special Features:
- Upscale but still casualwaingroDined on 5/15/2014The ambiance of the place has a European feel. The menu is impressive and diverse, but leans toward seafood. There is still something for everyone. My wife and I enjoyed an anniversary meal here. The wine list is notable and well selected. Definitely recommend to folks that find themselves in Westchester and needing a good meal.Special Features:
- Mother's Day brunchEnjoyDiningVIPDined on 5/11/2014We had our Mother's Day brunch in Ruby's. Really enjoyed it. However I do think their pricing is a bit high for the brunch menu they serve. And $18 for a kids main course is definitely too much. Although our kids are their lunch. I think the pricing puts Ruby's out of our range for regular Sunday brunches. Special occasion only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.