5534 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arucola.com/
- Phone: 2022441555x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Marcial Umana
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs dining room accommodates maximum 30 people
- Private Party Contact: Gian Mario Cabiddu 2022441555x
A word from Arucola Osteria
Arucola, a rustic Italian restaurant which is nestled in the heart of Chevy Chase , DC has become a neighborhood favorite. Offering an authentic Italian experience to patrons on every visit, from the homemade pasta and breads to the wood burning pizza oven, and even the décor, you will feel as if you have just traveled to Italy . The menu changes daily, offering diners a fresh selection of pastas, meat and fish. Arucola also offers a selection of wood burning oven pizzas, variety of salads including our namesake Arucola, and an array of daily appetizers which include a selection from the marinated antipasto trolley, to daily creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Arucola Osteria - Best Restaurants in Chevy Chase, DC ›
Arucola Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (28)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (9)great for lunch (9)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Given a terrible table atOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/5/2013Given a terrible table at front with door on side which waiters kept using and asking me to get up. Food was terrible, service worse and at the end the owner shouted at us for getting angry at being asked to get up so often. Avoid at all costs, gives all restaurants a bad name.
- Good and knowlegableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2013This is an excellent choice for people with food allergies. They can create non-gluten dishes and have gluten free (brown rice) pasta. I understand the pizza is awesome, but it is not gluten free. Service is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/29/2013This is usually a reliable neighborhood restaurant, but we arrived at 7 with movie tickets down the street and after repeated requests finally got our appetizers at 8. At 8:20 we had to cancel the rest of our meal to make the movie. It was totally chaoticSpecial Features:
- Old school food and serviceRustyBladeDined on 6/28/2013The food is traditional Italian, prepared in an open kitchen, and served hot. The waiters are attentive and professional. We made a reservation, through OpenTable, and found our window table, marked "reserved", and waiting for us when we arrived. We were a party of four. Two arrived before the other two. They seated us right away, without asking for everyone to be there, first. How many restaurants do that, anymore?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just love this place!DinealotVIPDined on 6/14/2013what a great neighborhood restaurant. great food; wonderful, friendly staff; and dessert to die for! we will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- son's favoritembandgtDined on 6/12/2013My adult son likes to go there when he visits us. He enjoys the casual atmosphere and the menu.Special Features:
- Great post movie spotgloverVIPDined on 6/9/2013We'd passed this restaurant many times coming and going to the nearby Avalon theatre. Finally decided to try it on a Sunday night. Made a 7:30 reservation and glad we did, as it filled up quickly (at least outside). More expensive than I thought, but not outrageous. Italian wines on menu - very few cheap ones by bottle. All four of us were pretty happy with our food. Total for 4- salads and entrees all around plus 2 beers and a bottle of wine (including tax and tip) about $280. Would go back again if in neighborhood.Special Features:
- Everyone knows your name...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/7/2013This is a place where everyone knows your name. Filled with regular customers who seem to stop by for a drink and/or dinner. The staff know many of the regulars by name, but were very welcoming to newcomers. The food was wonderful - simple and excellently done.Special Features:
- A neighborhood favoriteDCfoodieDined on 6/4/2013We sat on the deck, so there was constant traffic passing on Connecticut Ave. However, it was not nearly as noisy as many indoor restaurants we're I've dined! And it was so pleasant to enjoy the dinner outside. The menu has many reliable offerings and always saev room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A stablePhilVIPDined on 6/4/2013excellent option for outdoor dining. Now for over 20 years. Changes ownership, but even better than before!!Special Features:
- The restaurant was very friendlyDCdinerVIPDined on 5/25/2013The restaurant was very friendly and accommodating, but the food was only good. It's a nice place to go in the neighborhood, but I doubt if I would make a special trip to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently a friendly neighborhooOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2013consistently a friendly neighborhood restaurant with good food and ambience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed. Of course,amsavaVIPDined on 5/19/2013Never disappointed. Of course, I usually order the same thing [grilled fish] and watercress/pear/blue cheese salad and I love it. I have ordered other menu items from time to time but always look forward to this meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicetthechtVIPDined on 5/18/2013We hadn't been to this restaurant for a long time but were happy that the food and service were still excellent. Great wine list.Special Features:
- We love the salads here andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/26/2013We love the salads here and the fresh pastas. The service is always friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Another fun, excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/22/2013Another fun, excellent evening at Arucola. Always very good.---Fred and Anne WoodworthSpecial Features:
- The sausage pizza was good.SusanVIPDined on 4/22/2013The sausage pizza was good. The pear/gorgonzola salad with fig dressing that I ordered came without lettuce. The waiter said many people recommended it be served with lettuce and I could have some arugula at a price. I think they should just serve the salad with lettuce and raise the price.Special Features:
- A really nice birthday dinner.EricVIPDined on 3/30/2013A really nice birthday dinner. The restaurant was a bit stressed at 7:30 on a Saturday night, with all tables filled, service a bit slow and a shortage of menus. But they quickly recovered and delivered a really good, reasonably priced meal with good service.
- Always reliable, great service,tulipVIPDined on 3/25/2013Always reliable, great service, excellent pizzas, salads, and roasted chicken. A great addition to the neighborhood. I've been going there for years.Special Features:
- Too bad about ArucolanightoutVIPDined on 3/19/2013Hate to say it, really not good. We returned one bacon spinach salad. It was totally greasy and the bacon limp and cold like something left over from that morning's breakfast. I ordered scallops, and they were tough and chewy. Ewwwwwww. And biscotti for dessert were tooth-breakingly hard, with a gloppy, tasteless dipping sauce. What a long downhill slide. Nice server was gracious and apologetic, tho.
- Simply one of my favoriteDinealotVIPDined on 3/16/2013Simply one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants in DC.Special Features:
- Relaxed Italian diningDCfoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2013Delicious food, attentive service. We go there frequently. When I'm dieting, I can stick to healthy choices, even fresh fruit for dessert. When I'm cheating there are wonderful desserts and killer risottos. It's a special occasion just to have lunch.Special Features:
- Octopus, Sardines, Veal stew,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2013Octopus, Sardines, Veal stew, Branzino all great, as well as the friendly and efficient service.Special Features:
- Comfy; very good, homey ItalianhappydinerVIPDined on 3/8/2013Comfy; very good, homey Italian dishes; exceptionally accommodating staff.Special Features:
- Arucola is a favorite of mineevelyVIPDined on 3/8/2013Arucola is a favorite of mine for liunch, but Friday night dinner was very crowded and waiter was very busy and forgot that we (party of 6) were interested in a second bottle of wine and dessert. One of the entrees was not edible but the replacement was OK. It is much better when not so busy. I would stick to lunch or dinner at 5PM!Special Features:
- We always enjoy Arucola butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2013We always enjoy Arucola but forget that we should go on Monday's and Wednesday's when the wine is half proced!Special Features:
- A reliable place for half-priceCFinChevyChaseDCVIPDined on 2/13/2013A reliable place for half-price wine nights (Mon and Wed). Good food, nice service. Not a special evening out but a good neighborhood spot for dinner.
- Still dumpy after all these yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/9/2013Its hard to overlook the fact that the food was bland with little seasoning. The bread basket was our salvation!
- A reliable with very goodWDC1VIPDined on 2/8/2013A reliable with very good food and friendly efficient service.Special Features:
- Been there twice now and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/5/2013Been there twice now and the food has been really good both times. Don't miss the arugula salad and the fish soup is terrific.Special Features:
- This is a gem of a neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/2/2013This is a gem of a neighborhood restaurant. Wonderful food and always busy. Try to steer clear of the rear tables however, as the kitchen fluorescent lighting is glaring if you are facing it and all ambiance that the rest of the seating areas offer is totally lost in the rear.Special Features:
- High-end Italian, Happily CasualNonicknameVIPDined on 1/27/2013Love that Arucola is open Sundays late AM as alternative to a typical brunch. Brunch is the dinner menu (no pancakes or egg dishes). If you don't want a full entree there are plenty of small plates to choose. What could be better than Sunday DINNER for a late breakfast? There're a score of thin crust personal pizzas to choose or top your own, of course, and wonderful seafood, fish, HOMEMADE pastas and veggies. Even RED MEAT. The roast chicken hiding on the pizza menu is a deal! My veggie sister-in-law from out of town loved she had choices other than pasta or pizza. And if you like Italian pastry and other desserts and espresso they have those too. Don't want that spinach with that fish? Ask for a suggested subsitute!Special Features:
- Can't come often enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013We visit DC occasionally to see family. We never miss a chance to dine at Arucola while there. Food is always consistently good and the service excellent - fast but not pushy! So glad we can make reservations on-line now. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodPickyVIPDined on 1/25/2013We were so pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The pasta with mushrooms and veal short ribs were among the best meals truly I have ever eaten and I am a cook!Special Features:
- This is a nice neighborhoodJudyVIPDined on 1/14/2013This is a nice neighborhood Italian restaurant with good food, good service, and a feeling that the staff is really happy to have you there.Special Features:
- Good service, too many pizza'sDamonDined on 1/12/2013Everything was good especially the service. I had the pizza and the crust, sauce and cheese was excellent. The ingredients weren't as good. I think the problem was on the menu there were far to many toppings and far too many types of pizza, leading me to believe that the toppings couldn't be as high quality or fresh.Special Features:
- This is just such a greatDinealotVIPDined on 1/11/2013This is just such a great neighborhood restaurant. We love this place, the food, the people.Special Features:
- was very convenient for ainfrequentdinnerDined on 1/5/2013was very convenient for a good quick meal before a movie.
- A favorite spot-food is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2012A favorite spot-food is always good and fresh! Service is fast and efficient without rushing... Love it!Special Features:
- The food was well prepared.AcoupleDined on 12/28/2012The food was well prepared. Not outstanding, but tasty. The service was very good, and the ambiance was relaxing. A nice neighborhood eatery.