910 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nine-ten.com/
- Phone: 8589645400x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am
Breakfast: Sunday: 6:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Sunday: 11:00pm - 2:30pm
Bar Menu: Daily: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Knibb
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: 3-Course Dinner-$55 per person/$75 with wine pairings. Nightly.
Happy Hour-1/2 Priced Bar Menu; Drink Specials. 3:30-6:30pm Mon-Fri.
1/2-Priced Wine. Wed. 6-10pm. Dining Room Only.
3-Course Lunch-$24 per person. 11:30am-2:30pm daily.
A word from NINE-TEN
An ongoing commitment to innovative cuisine using only the freshest local produce makes NINE-TEN a must visit for culinary aficionados. This intimate restaurant, led by chef Jason Knibb and pastry chef Rachel King, offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance and an ideal location along La Jolla’s Prospect Street. Enjoy the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers, where produce is selected daily for the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine. The bounty of the sea is also featured with local fish selections and items arriving daily from Hawaii and the North Pacific and Atlantic regions. Special prix fixe menus are available and feature matching wines from the extensive wine cellar. Enjoy dining indoors or on the sidewalk patio or ocean-view terrace. A separate bar offers limited menu and happy hour specials daily. Open daily for breakfast and lunch and dinner nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
NINE-TEN reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)special occasion (73)romantic (48)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (44)great for outdoor dining (33)great for lunch (26)good for groups (23)great for brunch (21)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)Show More
- Grt svs creative delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/2/2014We tried nine-ten for the first time and loved it! The service was exceptional and the food unique, fresh and deliciuos! They were very accommodating to my husbands fat free, sugar free, natural style of eating. The food was naturally fresh and healthy so not much accomodation was needed. We will definately be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Unique Culinary AdventureLarryBVIPDined on 5/31/2014NINE-TEN is one of the great treasures of San Diego county. We went for my wife's birthday, and were treated to a great dinner. The food is adventurous without being pretentious, expertly prepared and presented. There are many unique dishes, and they are all fabulous. Service is outstanding with the meal perfectly paced. The wine list is extensive enough to offer good selections, but not so large as to be overwhelming. And the wines are all good choices for the cuisine. If you haven't been to NINE-TEN for awhile, or if you have yet to go, book a table. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Worth the tripTexasguestDined on 5/30/2014Excellent attention to special requirements. Wait staff knowledgeable and available. Food selections were interesting and varied, using local produce. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gretagarboDined on 5/29/2014Good food, friendly staff, I spilled something and was not embarrassed at all, good people, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner at Nine-TenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/28/2014One of the most enjoyable dinners I've had in San Diego. The Colorado lamb entree was so good, I wanted to lick the plate.Special Features:
- Managuish79VIPDined on 5/27/2014Nine-Ten never dissapoints! Our dinner was just as we remembered the last time we dined there - Excellent! My husband had the Jamaican pork belly and the Prime NY Steak and he was very pleased. I had the Baby beet salad and the King salmon and it was absolutely delicious. No wonder Chef Jason Knibb was recently named "San Diego's Best Chef". Congrats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/27/2014Unfortunately, this restaurant is not at the level advertised. From the poor service of our server to the hair we found in our main course, the overall experience was very poor.
- Very Creative FareFoodforFunDined on 5/26/2014Four of us dined here on Memorial Day evening. The waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful. He recommended a Belgian style IPA craft beer that was fantastic. Our wine selection, a Syrah, turned out nicely. I ordered the beet salad and the salmon entrée. My husband ordered pork belly appetizer and the New York Strip. I thought my food was delicious, and the sauces on the salmon were diverse and delicious. It was cooked perfectly. My husband enjoyed his food, especially the pork belly appetizer, but left feeling hungry. He was wishing for a slightly larger portion on the Steak entrée. Overall, this is a place for people who really love the finer details of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surpassed ExpectationsJoeyDined on 5/25/2014Wonderful meal...great service. Dishes executed with skill, perfection and taste. Special thanks to Christina in the kitchen for wonderful amuse, pate. I teach culinary...so nice to find FOH, chef and kitchen focused on professional execution without being pretentious.Special Features:
- 910 experinceVader46Dined on 5/25/2014A can't miss evening. Superb in every way! outstanding wine and fabulous food. One of my new hauntsSpecial Features:
- Not Surprized!JgraydonDined on 5/20/2014Nine-Ten is a small hotel restaurant, usually we avoid hotel food but this one was recommended by a "local". We were very happy with the service, ambiance, and importantly the food. The value was worth the expense. Service was truly outstanding, it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Nice breakfastArtLoverDined on 5/18/2014Had a nice breakfast, good coffee, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CHASDined on 5/14/2014A business lunch is not always the best way to challenge a talented chef, but my recent luncheon experience was first rate. The menu offered a variety of noon hour items of appropriate size. My guest opted for a Cobb Salad, and the plate was clean at the end of our meeting. A cheeseburger with very fresh lettuce and tomato garnish was quite good. I will look for the next occasion when I can have a lunch meeting in this quality restaurant.Special Features:
- Simply amazingWillowVIPDined on 5/12/2014The best dinner I've had in a long long time. Pea tendrils and fiddlehead ferns! Everything about it was fantastic.Special Features:
- TomHVIPDined on 5/11/2014Nine-Ten has the best food in San Diego. The chefs are continually fine-tuning their signature dishes and the results are always intriguing. We are lucky to have this restaurant here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nine Ten never fails usScottyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch, food was light and delightful, service friendly and efficient, yet unhurried. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We were there for brunch on mother's day and our little dog was with us. They were very accommodating and provided us with a table with umbrellas for shade. Our waitress was terrific and all in all our experience was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaroDined on 5/10/2014My family had a very enjoyable time here. The food was good, ambience nice, and service good. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening!Begood2urselfDined on 5/10/2014The food, the wine, the staff! Everything was great. We enjoyed the three course meal with wine pairings, and some additional wine suggestions from our knowledgable waitress. The flavor sand presentation were original, and we felt the prices were reasonable. We hope to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchJohannDined on 5/9/2014The food, service and ambience was great. As usual the quality of the food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Anniversary CelebrationMUNCHALOTDined on 5/2/2014Nine-Ten helped to make our 15th a very special occasion. Christopher ,our waiter, provided excellent information and suggestions about our meal. Do try the sashimi appetizer and lamb loin - both top notch. With special attention to our needs and the occasion, this was truly a fine dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!gretchusDined on 4/30/2014We came her for our anniversary and the food was amazing! Nice selection of spirits/wines, and the help was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantAmateurGourmetChefDined on 4/27/2014Took my wife there for our anniversary on a Sunday night. We both had the Mercy of the Chef; I had the version paired with wine. Beautiful presentation, intensely flavorful dishes, meats and fish perfectly cooked. First time we've ordered the tasting menu at a restaurant and each been served different dishes for each course! Variety = excellent. Our waitress, Stephanie, was extremely knowledgeable: familiar with the menu, knew the wines, and had worked there for 10 years. In honor of our anniversary, the Chef gave us an extra course (that night's special from the regular menu). Only complaint was that some portions were a little large for a tasting menu. I know, we might have left some food on the plate, but what's the fun in that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awazing findlbfoodieDined on 4/26/2014Food was amazing clean and crisp flavor profiles. Interesting menu and very fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CommanderVIPDined on 4/26/2014Limited menu. Food very mediocre. Atmosphere lousy !
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014The food was good, but the portion was too small. The service was kind of slow, but my water was always filled up and never went empty.Special Features:
- ExcellentRelgaVIPDined on 4/23/2014Truly an upside surprise. Great work from chefs to bus boys. Waiter top class. Friendly and accommodating. But most of all and most important. Best meal in a long time. Short Rips the best ever.
- Easter BrunchPlrSoCalVIPDined on 4/20/2014We took our daughter and granddaughter to Nine-Ten for Easter Brunch and sat out on the back patio overlooking the pool with a small view of the ocean. We arrived early for our reservation and were able to be seated immediately. The service was excellent and the staff very friendly. The menu included the usual brunch entrees but also some great entrée salads, lunch items and desserts. We have dined here before and our meals have always been excellent.Special Features:
- Easter Sunday lunchMicheleDined on 4/20/2014My husband enjoyed his soup and salmon; I was disappointed in my salade nicoise, which was tossed rather than presented in the usual way with separate heaps of vegetables and a whole piece of tuna. The olive-oil poached tuna bits were dry and ingredients other than the nice fresh greens were sparse. The salt was caked and would not allow itself to be shaken. The service was not as attentive as usual though water refills were regular. On a previous visit a week ago with a friend we were asked by Dolly at lunch which type of milk we preferred in our espresso drinks. This time that did not occur. There was no bread basket with its nice soft spoonful of butter sprinkled with Maldon salt. My cheese plate was however excellent.Special Features:
- First time with the babyzipporahVIPDined on 4/19/2014The staff at Nine-Ten was very accommodating of our baby on a recent visit. Gave us a table with an extra long section of booth to place the carrier on and were just overall very friendly with regards to us having a child with us. Service was excellent as always and food was good. We need to remember not to order the hot chocolate here - it's pretty much just heated chocolate milk, rather than the rich indulgence we were looking for.Special Features:
- DeliciousCMTMDined on 4/16/2014Nine-Ten is perfect for foodies, date nights, and even meeting friends after work. The wine menu is INCREDIBLE! and the service out of this world.Special Features:
- Easy elegant outdoor lunchPinkhibiscusDined on 4/11/2014The 3-course prix fixe is an easy tasteful lunch. Every plate has its delicate flavor infused by the chef. I like the salmon with a hint of orange fragrance, and the fish was wonderfully cooked. The spring salad and the main dish peas and asparagus was fresh and light. The bread butter was lemony and light, and the cheese dessert recommended by the waitress was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful Service....Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/6/2014We have eaten here several times and again the food did not disappoint. However, the service was absolutely awful! We sat on the patio and after 10 minutes, I finally had to ask the hostess if we even had a server. Everything he proceeded to do during our dinner was rushed, screwed up, and generally perplexing. We would have left him a very, very small tip. Unfortunately, because we were dining on Passport Unlimited, the 18% gratuity was added.
- Usually wonderful. This timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2014Usually wonderful. This time the food was not as good as usual.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't missStefDined on 3/31/2014Superb setting to watch the sunset (we sat on the patio), but it was the food, wine pairings, and expert but friendly service that made this meal truly memorable ($55 for 3 courses + $20 for wines: the most economical way to go). The scallops entree, Mexican white shrimp appetizer, and meringue with citrus sorbet were beautiful to look at and simply delicious, but everything else was outstanding too. Ate during the same week at much-heralded INK in Los Angeles and Pelican Grill in Newport Beach -- both very good and imaginative, but Nine Ten was far better in every way.Special Features:
- Cosistently excellent food!OldHRHitterDined on 3/19/2014We dined with another couple. The food, as usual was excellent, service was very good, and the Wednesday one-half price wine deal allowed us to drink a special wine at the winery price (Loring Rosella's Vineyard Pinot Noir). The nightly appetizer special (rabbit risotto) was superb: beautiful presentation, multiple tiered layers of flavors and textures. Also unlike many other top California restaurants, the servings are more than adequate. This is the first time we ate on the patio. Nice sunset view in March-April. Very casual and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2014This was our 3rd time to Nine-Ten and each time was a fabulous all-around experience. The food is meticulously prepared, fresh, creatively presented and tasty! Service is always top-notch...attentive but not too much. We particularly appreciated Thiery this last time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelySnowbirdVIPDined on 3/10/2014We had a wonderful meal and a great table. All was as close to perfect as it could be, except that they have reduced the size of their portions so my husband didn't get enough. I know when I can eat everything, that the portions are not very generous as I do not have a huge appetite.Special Features:
- All Food GemlikePhilipNolanDined on 3/9/2014...particularly in freshness, organic sourcing, care of prep, and esp. the perfectly prepared and varied vegetables. I am not a vegetable person, but at NineTen, I coverted to a Believer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arguably the best food inBFBSDVIPDined on 3/9/2014Arguably the best food in San Diego and comparable to some of the best we've had in France at considerably less cost. The one issue with Nine-Ten is the noise level if the weather doesn't permit you to sit outside on their heated back terrace. If you can dine outside, the noise level is moderate to quiet and the ambience would get another star. If you compare Nine-Ten to some other fine dining restaurants in San Diego, including George's Modern, Pamplemousse, Addison, etc. you are much better off at Nine-Ten. One other cautionary note is that their 3 course $55 prix fixe can be a good deal but you have to be careful because you get to pick essentially from the entire menu and the prix fixe can actually be more expensive than a la carte.Special Features: