910 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nine-ten.com/
- Phone: 8589645400x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am
Breakfast: Sunday: 6:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lunch: Sunday: 11:00pm - 2:30pm
Bar Menu: Daily: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 6:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Knibb
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: 3-Course Dinner-$55 per person/$75 with wine pairings. Nightly.
Happy Hour-1/2 Priced Bar Menu; Drink Specials. 3:30-6:30pm Mon-Fri.
1/2-Priced Wine. Wed. 6-10pm. Dining Room Only.
3-Course Lunch-$24 per person. 11:30am-2:30pm daily.
A word from NINE-TEN
An ongoing commitment to innovative cuisine using only the freshest local produce makes NINE-TEN a must visit for culinary aficionados. This intimate restaurant, led by chef Jason Knibb and pastry chef Rachel King, offers the perfect combination of sophistication and casual elegance and an ideal location along La Jolla’s Prospect Street. Enjoy the best of the harvest from local artisan farmers, where produce is selected daily for the restaurant’s Evolving California Cuisine. The bounty of the sea is also featured with local fish selections and items arriving daily from Hawaii and the North Pacific and Atlantic regions. Special prix fixe menus are available and feature matching wines from the extensive wine cellar. Enjoy dining indoors or on the sidewalk patio or ocean-view terrace. A separate bar offers limited menu and happy hour specials daily. Open daily for breakfast and lunch and dinner nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
NINE-TEN reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)special occasion (74)romantic (51)neighborhood gem (48)notable wine list (41)great for outdoor dining (39)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (21)scenic view (19)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)Show More
- wonderful choice for a special mealNJDinerDined on 7/17/2014We visited San Diego for a trip for our wedding anniversary, and had a recommendation to have dinner at NINE-TEN. We had a wonderful meal! Our server was fabulous... she made recommendations to us for specials, wine, and desserts, and they were all wonderful! She was very personable and attentive throughout our meal. The food was prepared and presented beautifully. Everything we had was delicious. They made this a special night for us - there was a card waiting for us at our table, signed by the restaurant staff, and they brought us dessert on the house. We had a fabulous experience, and will definitely return when we're back in the San Diego area next time!Special Features:
- Fancy and Romantic Dinnerbobbz64Dined on 7/11/2014I took my girlfriend out for her birthday here and everything worked out really well. We got the 3 course market meal with wine pairings and every course was delicious and amazingly presented. The wine pairings were delicious and they had a card and champagne for my girlfriend. Romantic and intimate. Was pricey but the quality matched the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CASunniesDined on 7/5/2014Excellent evening. Chef Jason was at his best! Our party of four indulged in the Mercy of the Chef prix fixe with wine pairing. It was the first time we braved uni in the same sitting with some of the finest prepared lamb ever. Chef Jason happily split the offerings, two of one dish and two of another among our party so we had ample opportunity to cross-taste to our delight. The portions were perfect! We left feeling comfortably full, but not overstuffed. Attention all Foodies! This place is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to know aboutPrivateDInerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Was just visiting and found the restaurant to be really good for breakfast, lunch and dinner OR the Bar, has a great menu as well and excellent cocktails. The bartender Sarah is fantastic , pretty with a great smile and the waitress Erica could not have been more helpful or charming. If you live near by or visit, definitely give it a try.Special Features:
- Great place for a special mealjdg1883VIPDined on 7/1/2014I have loved every meal I have had at NINE-TEN. They keep the menu simple in the number of options, and yet somehow have a wide variety of dishes. I really like the Three Course Meal option for a special dinner, especially when dining with another person because it's fun to get to try the different dishes they create. Service has always been top-notch as well. Definitely recommended!Special Features:
- Fine dining in okay atmosphereTheJudgeVIPDined on 6/28/2014The three courses I did have were each fantastic in their own right as well as having a fine presentation. Started with a beet salad that was a good size and full of different beets and some other tasty elements, including some crushed pistachios. The Colorado lamb saw three nice pieces of very tasty meat, with just a hint of the game flavor. The jus was inside of small cups that were actually onions. Dessert was the Half Baked Chocolate Cake, which was a nice combination of cake (more done than not), caramel and vanilla ice cream. A little soupy on top over the warm cake gives it its name. Good service complemented good food. Overall, excellent choice provided you are willing to pay the slightly high prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing2foodiesinluvDined on 6/28/2014My husband found this gem mentioned in San Diego magazine and thought we would give it a try. So glad we did! Extraordinary cuisine! Every dish was beautifully and artfully plated, every bite was a savory delight. We had the fortune of sitting next to a table of foodies and chefs who told us of the honors that Chef Jason has received. Our server, Chris, was wonderful, taking time to answer questions and give recommendations on selections. If I had to select one highlight it would be the Half-Baked Chocolate Cake: the most delicious, melt-in-my-mouth dessert that I have ever had! It is no surprise that Chef Jason was selected as San Diego Chef of the Year 2014. We would return to San Diego from our east coast home just to eat there again.Special Features:
- AnniversaryEddiVIPDined on 6/28/2014We celebrated our anniversary enjoying dinner and a partial ocean view from the patio. Dinner was delicious! We were both very pleased with our entree choices, steak and scallops. We also ordered hamachi sashimi from the list of appetizers. We will return to enjoy another wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Overkill?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Appreciate the creative energy from the chef, but the beet salad and the halibut presentations were just a bit over the top, my palate was challenged and had to work too hard.Special Features:
- AnniversaryRosieDined on 6/27/2014Thanks for making our 50th really special! The quiet balcony, beautiful evening and absolutely perfect food made for a great evening.Special Features:
- Perfect!FanoftheLadyBirdDined on 6/26/2014This was our best meal in La Jolla during our week vacation. The service is impeccable. The menu is innovative, fresh, and everything we ordered was delicious. We sat on the terrace and it was just lovely. I would definitely plan to eat here every trip to this perfect village!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantDrDeeDined on 6/23/2014Food, ambience, service were absolutely amazing. Chris, our server, was the best server I have ever had! We had the 3-course menu with wine. Chris brought the bottles of wine to the table and talked about each as he poured. Due to variability of ordering, he had three bottles for each course. The roasted beet salad, the California lamb, the pistachio-chocolate mousse, the beef tartare, the steak, the cheese plate; all were superb. It's no wonder that the Chef was named San Diego Chef of the Year for 2014.Special Features:
- Hotel food that's good?!?!FoodieNinjaDined on 6/21/2014I would never call this hotel food by any means, but being in a hotel I had my concerns. Those were quickly put away once we sat on the outside terrace and were handed the menus and wine list. The food all sounded amazing! It was hard to choose but once we narrowed it down we were very happy with what we ordered. Our only complaint was our stomach's weren't bigger. Then dessert came and again we just couldn't get enough. Next time we are in La Jolla it will be a destination we head back to for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014We had the chef's choice and were delighted. When I shared with my Wife it was like getting to taste almost the entire menu. What a great idea. We each had different menu items and shared them to get even more variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day brunchpowaypaulaDined on 6/15/2014We had a wonderful experience for our first time at Nine-ten. The outdoor terrance was quiet and lovely and our meal was excellent. Although we went specifically for brunch, we did view the evening menu and are intrigued enough to come back!Special Features:
- Best in San Diego!CulinaryChasersDined on 6/14/2014This restaurant was a complete surprise, and one of the best dinners I have ever had. I cannot say enough good things about Nine Ten.Special Features:
- PemaG2Dined on 6/14/2014This is a lovely restaurant in an historical, refurbished hotel in La Jolla Villiage in the midst of boutique shopping and great views of the Pacific. The service was friendly with some special attention from the restaurant manager. The Hanger Steak and Short Rib Panani were excellent. The wine list was excellent as well. It included a wonderful, relatively rare Cabernet Franc from Napa Valley. The noise was slightly elevated, but we were given a table towards the back where three elderly guys had no difficulty conversing. Consequently, we were at table for more than two hours and were not made to feel rushed in the slightest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasent timeChelcieyes9Dined on 6/13/2014Food was great. Would be awesome if you offered sides to add...we left a little hungry. But it was SO good. Our waitress was super sweet and very knowledgable about all the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the great meal I expectedJimmymaddDined on 6/12/2014One of my employees received thier Rueben panini completely charred. Food was not spectacular and parking was not free.
- What a treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/10/2014Celebrated a birthday with lunch at Nine-Ten. We had requested a table on their patio - They called in advance to advise the patio was undergoing some work and wouldn't be available, but provided a nice window table in the bar area. Our waiter was excellent - He provided a birthday card AND dessert! Excellent food and wine. The whole experience was totally positive and we'll definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014The chef's choice tasting menu was very creative and made for a fun adventure. Each guest gets a different dish which allows you to experience a wider selection of dishes. Our server provided perfect service which really enhanced the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWendyDined on 6/7/2014They have delicious and nicely presented food-one of my favorites-very consistent-Special Features:
- good foodccytongDined on 6/6/2014The Jamaican pork belly was delicious. Hamachi sashimi was fresh and good. The lamb was nice but the beans were too crunchy raw. The salmon was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1003 reviews are from the NINE-TEN reviews archive.
- live2eatVIPDined on 6/3/2014Overall, a little disappointing.The food was good, I think a little underseasoned.Expected better for the location and the price.The major obstacle was the service.Our waiter was maybe 'formal' no real pleasantries (Hi,how are you?). One of us chose the soup of the day,Split Pea, over the salad. He brought out Fennel soup which turned out to be the s of the d. I felt he should have informed us of the change and asked if we would have liked to change the selection. Also, the service was rather slow considering we were there at lunch and not that many people. I would perhaps make it back to try some dinner entrees. As I said, good not great but possibly worth a second chance.Liked that dogs were accepted outside and they had a bowl of water.Special Features:
- Grt svs creative delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/2/2014We tried nine-ten for the first time and loved it! The service was exceptional and the food unique, fresh and deliciuos! They were very accommodating to my husbands fat free, sugar free, natural style of eating. The food was naturally fresh and healthy so not much accomodation was needed. We will definately be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Unique Culinary AdventureLarryBVIPDined on 5/31/2014NINE-TEN is one of the great treasures of San Diego county. We went for my wife's birthday, and were treated to a great dinner. The food is adventurous without being pretentious, expertly prepared and presented. There are many unique dishes, and they are all fabulous. Service is outstanding with the meal perfectly paced. The wine list is extensive enough to offer good selections, but not so large as to be overwhelming. And the wines are all good choices for the cuisine. If you haven't been to NINE-TEN for awhile, or if you have yet to go, book a table. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Worth the tripTexasguestDined on 5/30/2014Excellent attention to special requirements. Wait staff knowledgeable and available. Food selections were interesting and varied, using local produce. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/29/2014Good food, friendly staff, I spilled something and was not embarrassed at all, good people, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner at Nine-TenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/28/2014One of the most enjoyable dinners I've had in San Diego. The Colorado lamb entree was so good, I wanted to lick the plate.Special Features:
- Managuish79VIPDined on 5/27/2014Nine-Ten never dissapoints! Our dinner was just as we remembered the last time we dined there - Excellent! My husband had the Jamaican pork belly and the Prime NY Steak and he was very pleased. I had the Baby beet salad and the King salmon and it was absolutely delicious. No wonder Chef Jason Knibb was recently named "San Diego's Best Chef". Congrats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/27/2014Unfortunately, this restaurant is not at the level advertised. From the poor service of our server to the hair we found in our main course, the overall experience was very poor.
- Very Creative FareFoodforFunDined on 5/26/2014Four of us dined here on Memorial Day evening. The waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful. He recommended a Belgian style IPA craft beer that was fantastic. Our wine selection, a Syrah, turned out nicely. I ordered the beet salad and the salmon entrée. My husband ordered pork belly appetizer and the New York Strip. I thought my food was delicious, and the sauces on the salmon were diverse and delicious. It was cooked perfectly. My husband enjoyed his food, especially the pork belly appetizer, but left feeling hungry. He was wishing for a slightly larger portion on the Steak entrée. Overall, this is a place for people who really love the finer details of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surpassed ExpectationsJoeyDined on 5/25/2014Wonderful meal...great service. Dishes executed with skill, perfection and taste. Special thanks to Christina in the kitchen for wonderful amuse, pate. I teach culinary...so nice to find FOH, chef and kitchen focused on professional execution without being pretentious.Special Features:
- 910 experinceVader46Dined on 5/25/2014A can't miss evening. Superb in every way! outstanding wine and fabulous food. One of my new hauntsSpecial Features:
- Not Surprized!JgraydonDined on 5/20/2014Nine-Ten is a small hotel restaurant, usually we avoid hotel food but this one was recommended by a "local". We were very happy with the service, ambiance, and importantly the food. The value was worth the expense. Service was truly outstanding, it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Nice breakfastArtLoverDined on 5/18/2014Had a nice breakfast, good coffee, and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CHASDined on 5/14/2014A business lunch is not always the best way to challenge a talented chef, but my recent luncheon experience was first rate. The menu offered a variety of noon hour items of appropriate size. My guest opted for a Cobb Salad, and the plate was clean at the end of our meeting. A cheeseburger with very fresh lettuce and tomato garnish was quite good. I will look for the next occasion when I can have a lunch meeting in this quality restaurant.Special Features:
- Simply amazingWillowVIPDined on 5/12/2014The best dinner I've had in a long long time. Pea tendrils and fiddlehead ferns! Everything about it was fantastic.Special Features:
- TomHVIPDined on 5/11/2014Nine-Ten has the best food in San Diego. The chefs are continually fine-tuning their signature dishes and the results are always intriguing. We are lucky to have this restaurant here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nine Ten never fails usScottyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch, food was light and delightful, service friendly and efficient, yet unhurried. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.