George's Ocean Terrace
1250 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
George's Ocean Terrace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.georgesatthecove.com/
- Phone: 8584544244
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am-4:00pm, Dinner Nightly: 4:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Trey Foshee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Kristine Sauer 8584544244
A word from George's Ocean Terrace
Occupying the upper level of iconic George’s at the Cove in the heart of La Jolla overlooking the Pacific coastline, George's Ocean Terrace features a casual bistro menu developed by Executive Chef/Partner Trey Foshee and his team. Consistently named the region's best outdoor dining by the likes of San Diego Magazine, San Diego Home & Garden and Ranch & Coast, and Zagat's most popular restaurant, the Ocean Terrace experience is quintessential Southern California. George's Ocean Terrace serves lunch and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
George's Ocean Terrace reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (213)scenic view (210)special occasion (119)great for lunch (105)romantic (100)fit for foodies (90)hot spot (75)great for brunch (61)neighborhood gem (57)vibrant bar scene (51)good for groups (30)kid-friendly (27)notable wine list (23)late-night find (11)Show More
- Perfect Romantic DinnerFoodieLuvAffairDined on 6/18/2014Always such a pleasure too dine here. We go once a year, but try to find room to visit more often. Amazing views, Romantic, Top notch service and food!Special Features:
- Terrific view, good food toolocalbeachloverDined on 6/17/2014Been to George's Terrace many times. Great place to take out-of-town guests, or a fun local lunch. Food is always good. Sometimes it takes awhile to be served though, depending on how busy they are...but hey, just look at the view. But note, there is a $15 minimum to enjoy it.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerSwagsDined on 6/15/2014I took my girlfriend to a birthday dinner and the Ocean Terrace was perfect. We had a great view, amazing food and were able to get some quality one on one time together. The hostess even gave my gf a bottle of extra virgin olive oil. That was a really nice touch...all of the starters and drinks we had were tasty. Definitely coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatRogerGDined on 6/15/2014This place never dissapoints and the quality of the food is discounted because of the views.The food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They switched my reservation!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014The food was good, service "ok". I booked a reservation on-line for George's Ocean Terrace and it was confirmed. Later I received a phone call stating, "ORTIZ" reservation needed to be switched to George's Bar; not as nice as the Terrace. I was very disappointed as this was my son's college graduation celebration. Did they make the switch based soley on my surname? unable to review the TerraceSpecial Features:
- Great place for lunch!VusfamilyDined on 6/15/2014We're happy with the service and the table arrangement for our big group of family. Although it was crowded but we were be able to get our table within 15 mins from the appointment time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014All of our dishes were extremely well prepared, from salads through dessert. The fish dishes were the best and the desserts were fabulous. The service was very good and the view is fabulous! We were seated as soon as all of our party arrived. All service personal worked together to take good care of us.Special Features:
- Absolutely perfect.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014I had the perfect college graduation celebration dinner here. Thanks for the memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't beat the viewCawilliamsDined on 6/14/2014Came for a quick lunch and beer with some family. Good service, good food, amazing views. Can't be beatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistentrkr727VIPDined on 6/14/2014The food is consistently good and our wait person, Brian, was outstanding. The terrace overlooking the ocean can't be beat on a nice day.
- Good food with a viewFoodlovinDined on 6/14/2014We had lunch here after a graduation. The food was very delicious, the service outstanding and the view was to die for.Special Features:
- FaraVIPDined on 6/13/2014Best view. Food is always good and quality consistent. Service great. Always booked and packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/13/2014Well, I usually really love going here, but today, the rudeness of the male host and the high cost of the drinks (simple lemonade with vodka) really turned my guests off. They came from Park City , Utah. The ceviche was excellent, but the short rib panini smelled so bad I couldn't eat it. Disgusting! Not up to par today!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeVol2Dined on 6/9/2014Loved the delicious food..all very wonderful! Server was very prompt and courteous. Check in was quick and pleasant. Glad we came . I feel sure anything a person would choose to eat would be yummy too! Will highly recommend to our friends back in Texas. So glad we celebrated our 41st wedding anniversary here. Very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has it AllNotacookVIPDined on 6/9/2014Beautiful view, outstanding service, and the food delicious. The pork tacos, so tender, were incredible filled with the pineapple salsa, the flavors amazing. Never a disappointment, consistently great every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerElsWellsDined on 6/8/2014This is the third year in a row we've gone to George's Ocean Terrace for our anniversary dinner. It didn't disappoint. In spite of being busy, the service and atmosphere are mellow. I had sesame crusted Tombo for dinner, and it was outstanding, with a lovely sauce and interesting vegetable accompaniments. My husband had the Alaskan halibut and thought the presentation and flavor were excellent. Ordinarily, we would also have an appetizer or salad, but we had eaten a large brunch earlier and just couldn't do it. Because we were too full to have dessert, our server brought us a Kir Royale, which was new to us and delicious. She wished us a happy anniversary and also presented us with a bottle of olive oil. It was a delightful evening.Special Features:
- MikgenVacafunDined on 6/7/2014Great food in a spectacular setting. Would recommend to someone looking for a special place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for viewActiveDinerDined on 6/7/2014I would recommend this place if you are looking for a great view while dining.Special Features:
- Beautiful viewFamilyFunDiningDined on 6/6/2014Excellent service, amazing ocean view. Wonderful for a romantic date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't be better!PoocherelliDined on 6/5/2014There is no restaurant that provides as much perfection as George's. The food is exceptional, the service is always good and the view is breathtaking! My favorite of all.Special Features:
- beautiful sunset opportunityR6GirlDined on 6/4/2014George's Ocean Terrace was a great place for our party of 7 to relax a little after work and enjoy a beautiful sunset. The wait staff were kind and their service was great. Food was good too and, best of all, was sunset desert. What they don't tell you is that you have to wait for your whole party to arrive, so don't get caught in traffic. Valet parking is a breeze.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Afternoon LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/4/2014Lunch on the terrace is delightful! Yummy food and reasonable prices.Special Features:
- FoodnolagalDined on 6/4/2014Disappointing. I mean tis is George's at the CVove. We expected better. The ceviche was tasty. The fish tacos were disgusting. I & companions thought the grilled fish bland. The sauce not only overwhelmed the mild fish, it was quite messy. The pork tacos were much better. The pineapple salsa would be better on the fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1831 reviews are from the George's Ocean Terrace reviews archive.
- Fabulous! Great food, staff & view!justusDined on 6/3/2014Fish Tacos are superb! Desserts are to die for. Make time to walk around the area it can be a entire afternoon event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie48Dined on 6/1/2014What a great view of the cove. The food is very good . I had the fish sandwich which was excellent. The service was OK but not spectacular. Not child friendly. But the view is to die for.Special Features:
- Amazing food and breathtaking view!ggillis15Dined on 5/31/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday at George's Ocean Terrace...had the most amazing dining experience! Food, service and view was incredible. So much more than we had ever hoped for. Will definitely come back!!Special Features:
- Beautiful views and food is amazingluvlajollaDined on 5/31/2014One of my favorite spots in SoCal. I love the food here and the views are beautiful too. Always hit this spot when I'm in SoCal.Special Features:
- Scenic BeautyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014I took some people from out of town here and the table was perfect, right at the glass. the day was beautiful and the Cove was stunning! We made reservations on line and it was convenient and accurate. I would definitely do this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There is nothing better...RailBoyDined on 5/29/2014There is nothing better than dining with your loved one at a table along the railing and watch the sun set. We came here once before and made sure to return this time. The servers are very willing to take pictures for you, which is extremely important at a place like this. I had the gnocchi with scallops and my wife had the salmon. Both are highly recommended!!! Prices are appropriate and reasonable. Don't expect to leave for under a bill though.Special Features:
- A good taste of San Diego.FoodfansandiegoDined on 5/29/2014The rooftop terrace at George's at the Cove is our go-to spot for entertaining out of town visitors, birthdays and celebrations of all types. Romantic enough for Valentine's Day and cool and hip enough for the birthdays of our twenty-something nephews. (A large group of us had a late dinner on the terrace on December 31, 1999. Unforgettable - in a very good way!) it's million dollar view, casual ambiance and fabulous service make a great setting for fresh fine food. George's smoked chicken/broccoli soup is unique and delicious. The fish tacos are a family favorite. Seafood specials are always intriguing taste treats. And for the meat lovers, the skirt steak never fails. George's is always a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PBJ326Dined on 5/28/2014It was fantastic!! as always we have always had a great time! The server, I can't remember his name but he was from Boston! Absolutely fantastic!! I could not have ask for a better birthday lunch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best outdoor dining in San DiegoLaurieann1958Dined on 5/27/2014Have been coming here for years. One of my favorite places to eat, meet for a drink in San Diego. Certainly the best outdoor dining. Food, service, view are always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- . Our out of town guests loved it!LauraDined on 5/26/2014Brian ( our waiter) was excellent, very friendly and professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SD Celebratory LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014We were there to celebrate my daughter's graduation from University of San Diego. It was the perfect location. The waiter was excellent! The weather was perfect and the view amazing. George's is our "go-to" place for any San Diego celebration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome views!SouthernFoodieDined on 5/23/2014Friends recommended George's and I was excited to go from the pictures online. It's a La Jolla favorite and reservations are a must. It was pretty backed up at lunch so I recommend the first reservation of the day around 11 am to get the best seating. I was not so happy that I had reservations and people without reservations were getting better seats (oceanfront) but it was still a nice atmosphere. Take a light sweater as it gets windy. Hummus platter was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made a reservation!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014I made a reservation for 4 at 1pm on Friday. I happened to get there 45 min early and sat at the bar. They explained they could seat when my party arrived. My party arrived at 1 but they seated 2 parties of walkins before us. Why the hell should I bother making reservations then!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!CcachneiderDined on 5/22/2014This was an amazing evening - great service, great food, great view! We were celebrating our anniversary and they have us complimentary glasses of champagne and a bottle of the cheft's olive oil. Fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spot in La JollaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2014A must take place for friends and family particularly if they have never been to La Jolla.Special Features:
- HungaryDutchman2HungaryDutchman2Dined on 5/19/2014We were there with friends from out of town and they loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delmardineandtravelDined on 5/19/2014I have been going to George's for many years (15+ years). I love the great food, the first class service and special location of the restaurant. It is very difficult to beat the beautiful ocean views from any of the three levels at George's, each level offers three different types of experiences from very causal to semi-formal. George's is a great place to entertain your family, your significant other, first time date or special guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.