George's Ocean Terrace
1250 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
George's Ocean Terrace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.georgesatthecove.com/
- Phone: 8584544244
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:00am-4:00pm, Dinner Nightly: 4:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Trey Foshee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Kristine Sauer 8584544244
A word from George's Ocean Terrace
Occupying the upper level of iconic George’s at the Cove in the heart of La Jolla overlooking the Pacific coastline, George's Ocean Terrace features a casual bistro menu developed by Executive Chef/Partner Trey Foshee and his team. Consistently named the region's best outdoor dining by the likes of San Diego Magazine, San Diego Home & Garden and Ranch & Coast, and Zagat's most popular restaurant, the Ocean Terrace experience is quintessential Southern California. George's Ocean Terrace serves lunch and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
George's Ocean Terrace - Best Restaurants in San Diego ›
George's Ocean Terrace reviews from OpenTable diners
268 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (243)scenic view (239)special occasion (138)great for lunch (126)romantic (117)fit for foodies (106)hot spot (87)great for brunch (72)neighborhood gem (68)vibrant bar scene (58)good for groups (39)kid-friendly (29)notable wine list (26)late-night find (10)Show More
- Food + View = ExceptionaltexmanokiegirlDined on 7/19/2014We had a table for 4 on the terrace facing the ocean on a lovely Saturday in La Jolla. Food & drink were great and the overall dining experience was very positive. The waiter was top-notch and they had our table ready at the designated time of our reservation. Highly recommend the terrace for a delightful dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food, amazing sceneryOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/18/2014The menu had great variety, the yellowtail was so fresh and flavorful! And the view.........fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Introducing Friends to La JollaLaurenVDined on 7/17/2014George's Ocean Terrace is our favorite way to introduce out of town friends to La Jolla - great food, waitstaff with personality, and an incredible view! Their beer list is good too, lots of local brews which our friends loved.Special Features:
- JalinDined on 7/16/2014Always a pleasure to dine at George's. If you come at sunset, it is a spectacular view, along with very good food and service. We always come when we are in La Jolla.Special Features:
- WOWMunchkinDined on 7/16/2014First time at George's restaurant. Everyone from the manager on down was terrific. This is definately a place to go during the nice days in La Jolla.Special Features:
- Excellant!VTAttyDined on 7/15/2014I am pretty certain that I found this restaurant by looking through OpenTable about a month before traveling to the west coast. It was an unbelievably great find and experience. We enjoyed it thoroughly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intl Team Lunch - great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014I brought a team of 12 to this restaurant. We had two attendees from other countries join us. It was a great atmosphere being outdoor but still comfortable, not too cold or hot. We saw the sunset and the food was great. All who attended enjoyed their evening!Special Features:
- Very NiceTeaJaeDined on 7/15/2014The food was well prepared, and it had a lovely complexity of flavors. My out-of-town guests especially enjoyed the view. Two of us had tarragon-crusted halibut on a bed of fresh corn. It was very good but not outstanding, as the halibut was a bit dry and no longer warm by the time it was served. The third person in our party had the pork tacos, also cold and a bit dried out when served. Service was friendly but quite slow. We finished two appetizers and waited for 50 minutes with the empty platters before dinner arrived. Still, in spite of the imperfections, we all felt it was a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you, BrianVannieDined on 7/15/2014For your wine recommendation and for making this visit a great experience for our French guest.Special Features:
- ValerieDined on 7/14/2014Setting is stunning, but food is just mediocre. We had the prix fixe menu and tried many different things that were all just okay.Special Features:
- Great experiencerobertDined on 7/13/2014A wonderful restaurant with excellent food, great service, and outstanding views.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Great location, with great food. My wife and I were visiting La Jolla and made reservations with Georges on the Cove. It was such a great place. We had a drink at the bar while waiting for our table, and the bartenders were great. We got a table by the rail to watch the sunset, and as beautiful as it was, the food was even nicer. We both had seafood dishes and they were prepared to perfection. Our waiter Charles was very attentive and friendly. Would definately recommend and will visit again.Special Features:
- Good food with great staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014George's Ocean Terrace was a great place to take my wife for our wedding anniversary. The food was great and the staff was even better. The views from the terrace are one of the best in Cali.Special Features:
- PerfectJenniferDined on 7/12/2014In every way! The food, the service, the drinks and the scene were all incredible!Special Features:
- Best View & Great Food!TracyNDined on 7/12/2014The views at George's are breathtaking. Everyone enjoyed not just the scenery but their food as well. We ordered the hummus and stuffed dates for appetizers. I had the kale salad which was so refreshing. The others in my group had Potato Gnocchi, Spaghetti w/ Clams, and the Quinoa Burger (which i tasted it was so good!) We had a wonderful time and service was wonderful as well. I highly recommend this restaurant especially if you have visitors in from out of town.Special Features:
- Don't go there with large parties.CalGirlDined on 7/8/2014They won't guarantee view seating even when'reserved ahead of time or arriving early. God forbid if you add a person to your table they treat you as if you have committed a crime.Special Features:
- Outstanding Experiencekjan1985Dined on 7/8/2014As visitors from Germany, we were looking for one special evening during our stay in San Diego. Here, we were not disappointed. With the early reservation in advance, we could pass the long line at the counter and were guided to our seats with a great view to the ocean. The waiter were very very friendly and we felt like the only guest even though the place was completly sold out. The Menue does not offer the bigggest choice but the food is extraordinary tasteful, healthy and nice. The portions are big enough to feed an adult. We definatly recommend this place for dinner, and we consider the price for a main dish with 25-30$ as fair.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience...DotsHurlVIPDined on 7/5/2014We hadn't dined at George's in a very long time and decided to go back this time around on our vacation. It did not disappoint. We highly recommend the fish tacos as appetizer and spaghetti and clams as an entree. But honestly, all of the food that passed our table looked and smelled spectacular. We were fortunate enough to be there for sunset which is beyond description. If you are looking for a quiet place to dine, this is not it. But if you love great food, atmosphere and a really cool vibe, this is the place! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great view and foodTexasbelleVIPDined on 7/5/2014Food always good, great burgers. Fish very good. Use a bit too much black pepper (had in vegetables!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner viewkarcespeedDined on 7/3/2014The food was delicious and the server was the most pleasant, but the best part of the whole night was our table and our view. We had the corner table, best view in the restaurant overlooking La Jolla and the beach. Everybody was coming over to take pictures near our table because of its location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go to spot!!iheartfoodVIPDined on 7/3/2014Always come here for lunch when visiting. Best views. You'll have to wait for a railing seat, but its worth it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulieDined on 7/3/2014This is my favorite restaurant to take out of town guests. We celebrated two birthdays during our last visit and they loved it. We saw dolphins in the cove as we dined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairy Tale ViewIrisDined on 6/30/2014Always a favorite, George's has the most amazing view of the Pacific. Food choices for all and don't miss the fish tacos! Service spot on! Come early or make reservations if you want the best view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not miss this when in la jollaFoodieDined on 6/29/2014You absolutely must come here when in ka jolla and get a table near the rail. Also the ice tea is fantastic. Everyone gets cirvecheSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKimTDined on 6/29/2014Amazing view, fantastic food....would highly recommend the fish tacos, great service. A must for lunch for the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning ViewNydEatsDined on 6/28/2014We had a corner table right by the railing with a gorgeous view of the ocean. The food was fantastic, as were the drinks. We had a group of 5 ladies and our waiter was great; we always felt attended to but never rushed. Wonderful place for fine casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014For such a beautiful inside and outside dining venue, and the fact it is one of the very few rooftops in La Jolla, I felt the menu was limited. I was surprised not more surf and turf options were offered. However, the appetizers were very tasty and the drinks were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Susie QSusieQDined on 6/25/2014We'd been to George's outdoor terrace years ago and it was delightful. This time, it was extremely crowded (probably twice as many tables as before) and loud. Not relaxing and lovely like it was before.
- Great view, delicious food!butterflyDined on 6/25/2014George's Ocean Terrace is a great place to take visitors from out of town if you really want to wow them with a fantastic ocean view. Request a table right on the railing and you will be looking down at La Jolla Cove. I went there for lunch with a friend from Germany and he was knocked out. The food was as delicious as the view. I had the fish tacos and they were superb. My friend had ceviche, which was also fantastic. It's a busy, popular place, so make reservations.Special Features:
- Fun family night with ocean viewwedinetooDined on 6/24/2014We made reservations and asked for a window, ocean view seat for 6 with family in town for a visit. Told to show up early as there might be a wait since they only have two tables to accommodate that size group, but as soon as we showed up, we were immediately shown to our table which was right on the windows looking out at the water, absolutely fabulous, breathtaking views. We ordered cocktails (not impressed) and wine. Appetizer of calamari was all dry breaded stuff and no calamari. Fish tacos were ok but small. Special of the night was halibut on a bed of corn. It was so, so, not much taste to it. The skirt steak was not great either. Mussels were tasty. The Mahi Mahi was awful and stringy, sinewy. The best thing was the dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the hospitality?JimAgainVIPDined on 6/23/2014I made a reservation for three at 515. I arrived at 510 while my wife and daughter went to the ladies room. I was brusquely informed by the "hostess" that she was unable to seat us until all were present. When I explained the situation, she tersely informed that the rules are the times, and if she made an exception for us, she'd have been unfair to many other diners. Not sure if her logic, as there was no one else waiting at that time. Spoiled an otherwise pleasant evening. Note to George's: Great location, but people pay premium prices to fine with you. Try a little courtesy - it goes a long way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and nice view.jaytheguruDined on 6/22/2014The view was good and food was nice at reasonable price. I had a hamburger and fries and both were so good. It was not so hot even at around noon because of the parasols. I will definitely recommend this spot for tourist from Korea.Special Features:
- George's Rocks!SandraSDined on 6/22/2014A former SoCal resident and now residing in AZ, I return to the coast at least twice a year. Whenever I'm close to SD, I head to George's for the view, the food and the service. We've celebrated several special occasions here and George's always recognizes our event. Drinks are great, food is terrific, and you simply can't beat the view. Lunch on Sunday featured several glasses of sparkling wine and fish tacos, while listening to the seals barking at the encroaching swimmers in the cove. Can be pricey - but worth every penny in my book.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014It was our 44th anniversary. Great service. Excellent ocean view. Fun atmosphere for all types. Not a quiet romantic style.Special Features:
- Stunning ViewsoceansearchDined on 6/21/2014Excellent for special occasion. Stunning views at sunset. Service was great. Accommodated requests for seating. All dishes but one entree were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014It was just OK, which means disappointing in light of the high expectations. Crowded and noisy, mediocre preparation of cliche bistro fare, distracted service, primitive washroom arrangements and disability access. Not worth braving the La Jolla mob on a SaturdaySpecial Features:
- Awesome atmospherelovegreatfoodDined on 6/21/2014I love this place and love to take people there who have never been in the San Diego area before. It is a great resturant, food is outstanding and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing views!McFlyDined on 6/20/2014We hosted a party of 9 for a late lunch at George's Ocean Terrace. Our seating was such that we all had amazing views of the ocean and cove. It was a festive atmosphere yet not too noisy. The lunch menu was interesting and reasonably priced with a good selection of beverages. I ordered the fish tacos, which were the best I have had. Our server was excellent. She was gracious and efficient in handling our large party. It was a perfect venue for our family to celebrate our son's college graduation. Very memorable!Special Features:
- Great lunchMikespeaks1Dined on 6/20/2014Drinks were great great! Maple Manhattan and the Bloody Mary was just what my wife and I were looking to have before lunch. Food was hot and tasty, our waitress friendly did a great job. Gave my wife a little bottle of I've oil as a birthday gift. Highly recommend George's for the great food and terrific food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but...NickiesnumnumsDined on 6/18/2014We had a reservation for 745 for the Terrace as sunset was at 8 o'clock arrived at 7:45 we were told our table was not ready we were not sat down until almost 815 completely missed the sunset couldn't even find a place to stand on the terrace where there was room to see the sunset a hostess on the floor with long black hair was extremely rude to us on several occasions when we were just trying to find a place to stand carrying a stroller and a three-year-oldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.