103 West 77th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dovetailnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123623800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00 - 10:00
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30pm-2:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: John Fraser
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private functions are available, please contact for details.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Vivar - firstname.lastname@example.org 2123623800x
A word from Dovetail
Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Dovetail - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Dovetail reviews from OpenTable diners
368 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (270)special occasion (248)romantic (175)neighborhood gem (156)notable wine list (125)great for lunch (66)great for brunch (38)good for groups (25)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (9)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Lunch for twoElisaDined on 8/1/2014My boyfriend and I came to dovetail for a very special lunch and it was absolutely phenomenal. One of the managers helped is select the perfect wine for our food choices and the food and service was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014We were visiting from Canada, and this was a "must" --we have eaten here in the past, and have ALWAYS found the food to be beautifully presented and to have wonderful tastes. It goes without saying that the Michelin designation is totally deserved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DOITVIPDined on 7/31/2014Superb, delicious and overall a wonderful experience. a great wine list as well.Special Features:
- bkishDined on 7/31/2014Way too little food for the price. Never paid soooo much for so little! I left hungry and therefore I cannot recommend this restaurant
- 5outof7VIPDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I dined there during restaurant week, and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very superior luncheonfoodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014I took my friend there for a birthday lunch during restaurant week and the experience was amazing. The food was some of the best recently sampled, the service extremely attentive and not overbearing, the wine recommendation amazing - a lovely experience altogether.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The food was lovely as ever, and Dovetail does not cut corners for restaurant week the way some other restaurants do. A great deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodandIVIPDined on 7/30/2014Food service and ambiance were very good. BUT,,, our lunch reservation, reconfirmed, was for 2:30 and although we arrived early, we were led to our table at 3:20. 50 minutes delay is not justified even during Restaurants Week.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2014Unfortunately, the wait for the table was much too long. There were a couple of pairs that were just sitting and talking after completing their lunch, and we were forced to stand and wait.Special Features:
- ChantboyVIPDined on 7/30/2014I reserved during Restaurant week with trepidation (bad experiences at OTHER restaurants), but I needn't have worried. Each course was superb: steak tartare that was more of a steak ceviche, "BBQ" pork shoulder with just the right mount of heat, and "horchata" that was really panna cotta with a delightful mix of fresh berries on top. The first bite of that was heavenly! I'll go back for dinner soon.Special Features:
- ExcellentemmaDined on 7/30/2014Really enjoyed our meal here. It was our favorite of our Restaurant Week meals. Very interesting flavors. Beautifully presented. On the slight down was that our main waiter was a little aggressive and marched around a little too dramatically - he had a strong presence. Rest of the wait staff was very pleasant and professional.Special Features:
- Remarkable time overallNULIXXDined on 7/30/2014Went there with my friends for lunch.We ordered all on the menu(for nyc restaurant week) and shared together.The dishes were creative and well cooked，but not every one was to our taste.The amuse bouche impressed us most actually.It was just so delicious!Highly recommend the carrot cake. Btw,the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week GemFunFoodieDined on 7/29/2014Summer delight! Fabulous food, delicious cocktails - craving the lemon risotto rice balls - will be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time theremeidbDined on 7/29/2014I ate there at Restaurant Week. I had the steak tartare as appetizer. It was too sour, but very fresh. The main, Long Island hake was cooked perfectly, and the sauce was delicious. The carrot cake was very light. The portions were perfect for me, but I guess for a big guy, he probably needs to go next door to get a hamburger after the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful lunch theremadame2828VIPDined on 7/29/2014Very nice place, food was very good, will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Fine food at elite restaurant.mmediaVIPDined on 7/29/2014The food was excellent; varied Restaurant Week menu. Service was good. Only complaint: arrived promptly for 1:30 reservation. Didn't get seated until 2 PM. Too long a wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves its starLabMomVIPDined on 7/26/2014Had a wonderful dinner pre-Shakespeare in the park. Inventive dishes and not overly expensive for its type. Four course prix-fixe is a good deal. Crab salad and foie gras great. Loved the tuna. Great desserts. Service attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dovetail Never FailsConfluxibleVIPDined on 7/25/2014Dovetail has long been our first-choice restaurant for closest friends and special occasions. Our most recent meal was--once again--fresh, imaginative, surprising, delicious. The tasting menu with wine pairings introduces many flavor combinations that I never would have considered, and never will forget.Special Features:
- Excellent food!CococatNYCVIPDined on 7/25/2014We had a lady's lunch with friends. It was fantastic meal, and all 3 course's dishes are perfect except one group table's unacceptable loud voice noise at the day. But, we'll go back again for the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulputyournamehereDined on 7/24/2014I came here on a special occasion and am not used to gastronomic restaurants, so it is hard to be objective about this. First of all, everything is designed extremely ornately and the service was so exceptional it felt a little over the top. As for the food, it is by far the most interesting thing my mouth has ever experienced. Very rewarding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be back again and again...NYCdinerVIPDined on 7/24/2014Hosted dear friends from Westcoast on July 23rd. They loved every morsel of food. The service was super attentive and the wine recommendation was perfect. The restaurant ha many diners yet our table was ready when we arrived and no delays with the meals. All delicious.Special Features:
- One of the best on the UWSD3goodDined on 7/24/2014Thanks to Restaurant Week, I got to try this relative new-comer to the UWS for lunch (normally they are a dinner-only). After a minor hiccup in service over the cocktail order we enjoyed a fantastically prepared 3-course meal. The eggplant, smoked pork shoulder and Hake deserve special mention. The staff were wonderfully attentive with a good sense of humor. Definitely due for a repeat visit.Special Features:
- NYC Restaurant Week is the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014Food was great and service was extraordinary. Thanks for the NYC Restaurant Week!!!Special Features:
- Great place!ODP1Dined on 7/23/2014I've been meaning to try this place for a while but I finally got to try it during Restaurant Week. The food was amazing! Everything was visually stunning and delicious. The service was prompt, friendly and knowledgable. I will definitely come back to try their regular menu.Special Features:
- JakeJakeVIPDined on 7/23/2014This was somewhat disappointing. The wait staff seemed annoyed that we were there.
- Mediocre RW lunchJenniferVIPDined on 7/23/2014The steak tartare appetizer was the star of the afternoon. The foie gras ($12 supplement) was overly sweet with inadequate counterbalancing savory notes. That said, the foie was well seared. The hake, which we both ordered, smelled fishy and tasted only of (too much) salt. It was infused with salt. The coconut nage added no flavor whatsoever. The accompanying turnips, beans, and piped sweet potato puree were nice. The dessert was delightfully light but confused. The "horchata" panna cotta was covered with everything from blueberries and raspberries to tapioca, puffed rice, and bits of cake (leftovers of other preparations??). We expected much more from the Michelin-starred restaurant. Maybe we should have ordered the chicken.
- Spectacular lunchKenSDined on 7/22/2014We had a memorable lunch last Tuesday afternoon. The melon gazpacho was delicious and refreshing. The chicken was moist and tender, inventively seasoned, and had the sweetest, most delicious, tomatoes I've ever eaten. Deserts were great and the half-carafe of red wine was way above average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dovetail reviewNYCfanDined on 7/22/2014The food was good but not fabulous. The service was bad. The table was booked for 2pm and we didn't get our table till 2.25pm. There was no apology for the delay given at all. There were a lot of staff and it felt very chaotic. When we left no-one was there to say bye, whether we enjoyed the meal etc. Not a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014Fabulous as always. Delicious lunch menu for Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DovetailLocalDinerVIPDined on 7/22/2014Sublime! No more need be said except to fill the 50 characters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014Restaurant week, very long wait between courses. Excellent appetizer and dessertSpecial Features:
- Nouveau cuisine nicely donefood4liferDined on 7/20/2014Although the entrance was a little difficult to find & the huge pile of garbage bags in front was off-putting, once inside, the decor & ambience was inviting. The staff was polite & attentive. We asked for a private table & were placed next to the service area in an empty restaurant - not a good start. Waitress (manager) was attentive & informative. Presentation & food were excellent. Creative menus w/unique ingredients. Portions were small, but satisfying. Pricing was a little high & when we asked to be moved, our service level did do down. We had the Sunday dinner prixe fixe at $58/pp, but there were a lot of add-ons. Overall-nice decor, ambience, good service, excellent food, but rather pricey and sometimes superior in attitudeSpecial Features:
- A Special MealLSDPDined on 7/19/2014A friend and I treated ourselves to a dinner at Dovetail. We enjoyed the Fixed Prix menu very much. The choices were inspired, and the quality was superb. I thought the level of staff attention, and attention to detail in general, made this a 5 star experience. In a city with thousands and thousands of choices, Dovetail should be on your list.Special Features:
- Outstanding ServicepaperclipDined on 7/19/2014While it's possible the service was almost too attentive initially, the experience overall was impressive. Everything was thoughtful and attended to, while not feeling stuffy. The food was also good, though the service was truly exceptional. Also, they could handle all manner of dietary concerns which is really nice at a fine dining restaurant.Special Features:
- The best in ManhattanSteveWVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have been there six times in the last year. Each meal, each course fantastic. Great, fresh often unexpected combinations of flavored which always excite the palate. Why this place doesn't get more buzz is beyond me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Pop-InanionDined on 7/18/2014Met up with a friend at Dovetail for a casual dinner (it's SO easy getting a table at a good NYC restaurants on Friday nights in the summer). We only ordered appetizers and mains -- all seafood dishes -- but everything was expertly prepared with fine ingredients. Did not have an opportunity to order from the wine list but it certainly looks worthwhile. Service was friendly and not at all harried. Would love to go back and explore the tasting menus and wine parings.Special Features:
- Dovetail Never Disappointsfwp209Dined on 7/15/2014We have been to the restaurant often and the food is unfailingly surprising and delicious, the ambience peaceful, and the noise level low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent overallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014However some of the dishes were way too salty and some (glazed carrots) too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestaurantantheiaDined on 7/12/2014Dovetail is not trendy right now but it is a gem. The attention to detail of the food is outstanding. Every dish had unexpected touches. Nice little complimentary dishes in between. Such a lovely restaurant!Special Features:
- Fantastic!TastingNYVIPDined on 7/11/2014Everything was wonderful from start to finish! The service was incredibly friendly, genuine, and professional. The food was fantastic and an excellent value (we had the 4-Course Prix-Fixe). I loved the seared foie gras, fried egg, lamb, and their amazing bittersweet chocolate soufflé. The bartender even concocted custom cocktails for our group. I will definitely return!Special Features: