103 West 77th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dovetailnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123623800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00 - 10:00
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30pm-2:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: John Fraser
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private functions are available, please contact for details.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Vivar - email@example.com 2123623800x
A word from Dovetail
Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Dovetail - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Dovetail reviews from OpenTable diners
374 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (274)special occasion (256)romantic (178)neighborhood gem (159)notable wine list (127)great for lunch (66)great for brunch (39)good for groups (25)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (9)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Excellent fine restaurantArtsLovRDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Dovetail for restaurant week and were pleasantly surprised by the extremely high quality of the food. We've been to many upscale restaurants in NYC, some with celebrity chefs, and this one compares favorably to the top few restaurants in the city. They did not skimp on the quality of their restaurant week lunch menu as so many establishments do these days. Everything we tried, from appetizers to dessert and even the bread, was fresh and delectable with very well-balanced flavors.Special Features:
- Great place for fine-dinningMiniAnnaDined on 8/13/2014I went to there with my friends for restrautant week lunch. Great menu and very friendly recipients. Love the juicy and tender barbecued pork shoulder！Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EtherealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Overall experience from beginning to end was exceptional.Special Features:
- Well deserved Michelin star.veggieloveDined on 8/12/2014The food is outstanding... and a real treat for vegetarians. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Not impressedJaayVIPDined on 8/12/2014Small lump of pork shoulder for the prix fix. Not a great idea for impressing new customers. They should just forget the restaurant week lunch as I would not go back
- Not that good for valuePasCatDined on 8/12/2014Don't misunderstand me, the food is good there, the service is pleasant and the ambience is cool... But for the value I know better place to eat in Manhattan. I expected a finer food.Special Features:
- Sophisticated w/ great servicejandcDined on 8/12/2014The food was excellent and the setting was sophisticated and very pleasing. Service was truly wonderful, easy-going and efficient. We found it a completely enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a fun vibe!FoodWallahDined on 8/10/2014The cuisine is what I call "American creative" -- combinations of things that are different from the usual. But everything works and is beautifully presented. The special prix fixe, three-course dinner on Sunday night -- which affords plenty of choices for each course -- is a terrific value. The wine list is excellent and very varied. The night I was there, the service director, Heidi, was doubling as sommelier (a position she held previously), and was a terrific guide through the list. The service was flawless but neither hovering nor intimidating. Great food and a fun vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem, esp. for BrunchChippyNYCDined on 8/10/2014The quiet, elegant and superbly friendly and professional service highlighted the incredible dining experience. The food was a fantastic voyage in high culinary artistry and left one with no further want than to come back again and again. The meal will remain embedded in this customer's memory for a long time...or at least until he comes back to enjoy and other wonderful adventure in culinary heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsbenjaminVIPDined on 8/9/2014Dovetail remains an actual food destination... on the UWS of all places. Superb, inventive cooking with a close eye for detail, ven with Chef Fraser busy with his downtown venture. His chef de cuisine must be quite talented. Superb dishes included the heirloom tomato salad, which sounds boring but was anything but. The kitchen constantly plays with what appear to be standard dishes but are not in the least. Great use of vegetables and grains in subtle ways, along with rich ingredients like foie gras or duck.Special Features:
- serabvDined on 8/8/2014Too bad they only serve lunch during Restaurant Weeks.Special Features:
- Janegood2goDined on 8/8/2014Lovely dining experience. Good food, soothing atmosphere, excellent service made for a special meal!Special Features:
- Room with No ViewmmacVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had a Restaurant Week lunch here, first time at Dovetail for the three of us. I had hake for my main course, which was perfectly cooked and seasoned. The melon gazpacho for a first course on a warm summer day was refreshing and wonderfully flavored. What the restaurant doesn't have is an inviting decor. It seemed very corporate--rather than reflecting its actual location on the Upper West Side, the room felt like it belonged in midtown Manhattan for the business lunch crowd. However, if one does live on the UWS, it is a convenient place for an excellent meal.
- All I need to say is "go." :) yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Yummmm! Definitely worth the trek. I completely understand why they have a Michelin star!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie from TexasMbell1216Dined on 8/8/2014We own a restaurant in Texas and came to New York for restaurant week. This was the best place we went to! The service was wonderful. The horchata dessert was the best dessert I have ever had in my life. The foie gras was perfectly cooked and the sauces were unique and delicious. The only recommendation I could possibly think of is in regards to my entree. I had the hake with sweet potato and coconut. It was perfectly cooked, I would have loved a bit more spice. But I'm from Texas, and we use a ton of spice so I understand that might not be everyone's cup of tea. Fabulous fabulous experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch is greatFoodloverDined on 8/8/2014Tried Restaurant Week Lunch menu. The food is great, appetizer beef tartar is fresh and in good portion. The fish entree is fantastic, the Long Island Hake is soft and tender with light coconut emulsion. Smooth sweet potato is added to bring the coconut emulsion to next level. This entree tastes perfectly in the hot summer season. Will recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:
- Totally underratedCather123VIPDined on 8/8/2014We've been to Dovetail twice in the last month. Both times were astonishing. The most delicious, fresh and inventive cuisine. Dinner was expensive and worth every cent. Restaurant week lunch was a bargain, same amazing level of food and service, and a lovely bargain wine to go with it. Just lovely, and super professional and friendly service. Our new absolutely favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeavenJockDined on 8/7/2014From beginning to end, Dovetail was an exquisite culinary treat. The atmosphere is modern with close attention paid to flowers. They softly mix metal with nature in an elegant manner. It is sophisicated and elegant. The perfect setting for a special or romantic occasion. Daniel is a gem. There is nothing he does not do or pay attention to. He anticipates all needs and addresses every detail. His timing is impeccable. The chef has golden hands. He artfully blends herbs and vegetables to enhance the taste. Presentation is a sculptured delite. Pure heaven in every bite making one desire more. Elegant,romantic, but not stiff. Culinary heaven.Special Features:
- RW: Bumpy start turned out greatnycfoodienewbieDined on 8/7/2014We came here for the summer restaurant week prix fixe lunch. It was very busy. We waited at the bar but no-one offered to serve us and it took over 10 minutes and multiple requests before we were served. We were seated approx. 25 min later. We ate foie gras and steak tartare starters, pork and chicken mains and chocolate and carrot cake desserts. The bread for the foie gras took too long to arrive. But the food was excellent. Starters were well prepared and the meat mains were succulent and juicy. Portions were on the small side but to be expected for RW. There were specially chosen wines for the RW menu and we opted for a white Alsatian. Overall, food was excellent, servers were professional but the choreography could be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentlovetoeat123Dined on 8/7/2014loved Dovetail. Hake in coconut sauce was amazing. Tartare was cut too course and too dry. Dessert of carrot cake exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!AyeayeDined on 8/7/2014The restaurant week menu completely exceeded my expectations. I chose the steak tartare as my appetiser and it was delicious, perfectly done and paired with a crispy cracker. I was recommended the chicken sous-vide, and that was fantastic as well! Definitely a treat. The panna cotta was a little sweet for my tastes, but also very yummy with summer berries and crispy rice. I was a little under-dressed for the restaurant, which made me a feel a little neglected by the hostess. However, my waiter was perfectly attentive and very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dovetail never disappointsbenjaminVIPDined on 8/6/2014After many years, Dovetail continues to offer some of the very best cuisine in the city. Classical technique is complemented by innovative innovative touches. Be sure to try the tasting menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014This is a very special food experience. Unusual flavors . Spectacular presentation. Affordable during restaurant week for the average person.Special Features:
- What a hidden gem!Oggywoggy3Dined on 8/6/2014I had no idea such a lovely restaurant was tucked away on the ground floor of an UWS townhouse. The atmosphere was elegant without feeling snobby and the food was absolutely scrumptious, with small but adequate portions, especially for a tasting menu. I went for lunch during Restaurant Week, which made it very affordable--dinner is much pricier, but I am sure it is well worth the splurge. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!almostvegDined on 8/6/2014I had been wanting to go here for a while especially for the vegetarian Monday, but had not made till restaurant week. The food was just awesome - creative, fresh, tasty and wants to make you come back. The service was excellent - very attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors that danceLisaVIPDined on 8/6/2014Again and again, I am thrilled by the complexity of flavors masterfully blended at Dovetail. The avocado salad with sunflower seeds and curry and grapes, for example, danced. The buttery lemon cumin sauce for the pork shoulder and zucchini, the light coconut sauce for the hake and sweet potatoes, and the caraway ice cream for the moist carrot cake surpassed any expectation. Delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but...OliverTCVIPDined on 8/5/2014Our latest dinner was a bit disappointing. Only the lamb and the desserts were really special (chocolate soufflé and rhubarb). The service though was superb and the ambience is great.Special Features:
- Great MealTeddyDined on 8/5/2014Service was fabulous. Food fantastic. Had a super time. This restaurant rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restweekVIPDined on 8/5/2014dessert was the best. we had a small piece of chocolate cheese cake - just enough. the chicken was tender. the sauce for the fish delicious. the combination of the veggies was especially nice. only problem was the wait which we did not expect @ 3:00 pmSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Food - Ridiculously SlowPgaudettDined on 8/5/2014Everything about the food was completely top notch and normally that is pretty much all I base my impressions on, but in this case the delays are really all I'll think about. We weren't seated till 3:10pm for a 2:30pm reservation. Then there was a good 10 in between when we finished one course before the other was brought out. It felt like it was done on purpose and I love having some time in between dishes to think about the food and anticipate the next course/have time for talking/chatting, but this was far too long. I'll come back sometime and try it for dinner where I think the forced delay between courses might be more appropriate and appreciated, but I didn't have a good experience for lunch based on the delays.Special Features:
- HappyDined on 8/5/2014Food and service were sublime. Tables set apart for privacy. Good noise level. Presentations were excellent. Very comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it gets!finefoodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014NYC Restaurant week lunch for 25 a head. This is the best place to enjoy such a generous offer. My wife and I love Dovetail amytime for any reason. The food is simply divine! The service stellar and the room beautiful. A must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantsunnyVIPDined on 8/5/2014We visited there for restaurant week. Food was delicious and service was so good. I want to go there again for dinner.Special Features:
- Each bite a treat for the sensesnykerVIPDined on 8/5/2014Every dish we had was delicious, with a combination of textures, tastes, and colors that was a delight. The one disappointment was the bread. I love good bread, and it was sad that with such an amazing selection of foods, the bread was blah; not really bread so much as a sweetened muffin in a loaf shape. I yearned for a good, solid, satisfying piece of really fine bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maryredDined on 8/3/2014Amazing quality restaurant. It is really high standards of quality in food and ambience.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentHappyCamperVIPDined on 8/2/2014Dovetail is an excellent restaurant. The food is terrific and creative, and the service is thoughtful. Dovetail also has a fantastic vegetarian tasting menu, which everyone should try, not just vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal but...HollyYVIPDined on 8/2/2014Compliments to the chef - great meal, and inventive food. Wine list was superb. Dining room decor and ighting - perfect!. However, for a Michelen one star, I would expect the service to a bit more on top of things. We had to ask for the dessert and cheese lie, had to ask for coffee and tea to be served at end of meal, and the time between the 4 courses got longer and longer as each course progressed. The temperature was very cold and the A/C was blowing right over us. We asked three times fo rthe blower to either be turned off or the temperatire adjusted. It never apepared to be. DOn;t get me me wrong the service was not bad...but not what I expect from a Michelin rated restaurant.Special Features:
- Fantastic anniversary dinnerBartonKeyesVIPDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I came here for our anniversary, and it was one of the most wonderful meals we've ever had. We were actually a bit worried because we'd been to Dovetail before and found it very good but not stupendous, and maybe not quite worth the price; we reserved here because it was available at the last minute when something else didn't work out. Fortunately, we found the place to have moved up to a whole new level. The food is universally fantastic, with wonderful flavors, super-fresh ingredients, and unusual preparations. (It's known for veggies--who thought carrots could be so exciting?--but the menu goes far beyond that.) The waiter was friendly, charming, and helpful; the service unrushed; the ambiance great. Couldn't be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingelmajoVIPDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed a delicious lunch and a great time. Just arriving from Switzerland it was a wonderful welcome in New York City. it was the perfect choice and we will surely go back. Everybody was very nice and helpful and the waiter was wonderful. The food was outstanding. Every little detail perfect and the surprising compositions combined the different flavors and textures excellently. Everything we ate was most delicious.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchKenSDined on 8/1/2014We had a late lunch on Friday afternoon and the food and service were both superior. The fois gras and the melon gazpacho were both spectacular. The chicken was amazingly tender and delicately seasoned. No one believed that eggplant could ever taste that good. And who ever expects to think that potatoes and tomatoes could be memorable? Finally, a memorable chocolate cheesecake and a superior panna cotta. As I enthuse about the food, I do not want to ignore the service: warm, welcoming, knowledgeable, efficient, just perfect.Special Features: