Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
1063 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 2127537407x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (Saturday and Sunday only) : 12 pm - 4 pm
Monday 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Tuesday - Friday 5:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Saturday 4:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Sunday 4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ignacio Cotzomi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, prix fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Amira Gertz at 212.397.0666 x40 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 12 in our dining room for a la carte or family style dinners. We can also accommodate up to 150 for daytime events or evening buyout events. Partial room buyouts are also available. Please contact Amira Gertz at 212.397.0666 ext. 29 or email at email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Amira Gertz 2123970666x29
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 5-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
FESTIVAL DE HELADOS | JULY 31-AUG 24
Desserts inspired by classic savory dishes such as guacamole, tamales and empanadas, and paired with handmade ice creams and sorbets infused with Mexican flavors ranging from prickly pear to chili-spiced chocolate.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
Our flagship location opened its doors on First Avenue in 1984. From the moment you arrive, old world charm permeates your dining experience through authentic Mexican colors and rustic folk art. Traditional amate gods greet you at the front entrance and brightly colored papel picado hangs from the ceiling. Corn tortillas are made on site and an exposition grill further seduces your senses. With its warm ambiance and outstanding cuisine, this Rosa Mexicano location has remained a perennial New York favorite for over 25 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (63)good for groups (57)special occasion (41)romantic (27)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (22)kid-friendly (22)great for lunch (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Great MexicanprincieDined on 6/10/2014Rosa Mexicano is a great neighborhood restaurant which is cozy and consistently good! The margaritas are the best in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014The best guacemole ever! Fantastic soft tacos, a lot of food for the amount we paid! When I come back to nyc I will go to this restaurant! Service was also perfect, and they served norwegian water! Big plus!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome time!FullandHappyDined on 5/31/2014Rosa Mexicano is a place I will definitely be going to again! Great pomegranate margaritas (the tequila was nice and strong) and they sang "Happy Birthday!" in the cutest way possible. Definitely a great place to spend a night out with the girls and just celebrate!Special Features:
- deliciousVIPDined on 5/30/2014love rosa always go back food service ambience gr8 as are hostsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening, good priceBigDaveDined on 5/28/2014We booked this restaurant hoping it would be a good place for a group of us to enjoy a good meal, and it was that. The staff were very efficient and helpful and the menu was varied with reasonable prices. The food was tasty but I must say not as spicey as I had hoped. They have one, two or three stars for mild to very hot.... I love Mexican food and although this was very tasty, it didn't have the zing I was expecting. Having said that we did have a good time, and thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican FareBillDined on 5/28/2014Excellent food, great server who knew what sangrita was and could recommend appropriate taquils. When thinking of Mexican food Rosa Mexicano always comes to mind first.
- The following 1148 reviews are from the Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue reviews archive.
- Mexican food at it's bestgdfdmavineVIPDined on 5/24/2014Rosa Mexicano never disappoints. Our server Jay was sterling as usual. He remembered our drink order as we were there 2months ago. He also was helpful in suggesting I order a double portion of the spare rib appetizer. The dinner was as good as always. It's been our tradition to come here every Memorial Day weekend. The guacamole is always the best as well as their signature margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful Eveninghostess67Dined on 5/19/2014I had to book a table for 8 very last minute. 3 of the guests were children and 6 were out-of-towners. I had been to the Union Square area one once and enjoyed the food but they were full so we tried first avenue. The setting there is much more intimate though you we were at a table for 8. We were in our own corner and it felt like a private party. The service was excellent and everyone enjoyed their meal. When you have an evening with friends and family and all you remember was how delicious the food was and how much fun it was to be together, that is a successful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelighliociousTasteMattersDined on 5/19/2014Excellent service food and experience mole sauce amazing perfect nightSpecial Features:
- Best gourmet Mexican cuisineDocPaulDined on 5/18/2014I continue to go back because it is delicious, romantic and fun! service has always been great. BEST GUACAMOLE ANYWHERE! The braised short ribs, lamb shank, crab salad and Bodin des Tortillas are my favorite dishes, but you can't go wrong with any menu item. The espresso flan is yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole heavenOpinionatorVIPDined on 5/18/2014Great Mexican food at every course! Staff helpful and very well trained.Special Features:
- Neighborhood atmosphereLetsomeoneelsecookDined on 5/16/2014I have been to other Rosa Mexicanas, both in NY and Minneapolis. This one has the same great food (excellent guacamole prepared at your table) but a less upscale atmosphere. It feels more like a neighborhood Mexican restaurant. It was also less crowded than some of the others - due to location I'm sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodSRO22VIPDined on 5/11/2014We often try something new and are always very pleased!Special Features:
- Best guacamole in townJoanRDined on 5/9/2014Any food we have had there is good, but the guacamole is a must. It is made at the table, very fresh and amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sangria!J10022VIPDined on 5/6/2014I came here for their happy hour, so I cannot speak on behalf of their main courses, but the appetizers were great and the sangria was refreshing and fruity! The pork belly and scallop tacos and the queso fundido are must haves! The bar area is pretty small, so I wouldn't come here with big groups. I can't wait to come back to try the guacamole.Special Features:
- Cinco de MayoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2014Happy party place for Cinco de Mayo. It was hectic and filled up completely. You would think they were giving the fool away. They were not! Our bill was over $130 and we only had two margaritas. My sister's steak was excellent. I did not like my mahi tacos. The guacamole was not as good as usual and they did not make it table side. This restaurant is much better during normal days.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/5/2014Truly the best qucamole I ever had. Good food and great drinks. Would highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceprincieDined on 5/5/2014Food and margaritas are consistently good! Always enjoy going Rosa MexicanoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something off tonightOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/4/2014We love this restaurant...but tonight was a little off. Both time to receive food and taste of food was not what we expectrd.Special Features:
- Excellent food.excelletnDined on 5/4/2014I was with 2 other lady friends and we had long conversations. Waiter was very patient and attentive. Did not rush us at all. Enjoyed everything.Special Features:
- Always great.MikeDined on 5/3/2014A favorite of my wife & I. On the expensive side, but worth it.
- Food not so goodCcoolnpDined on 5/3/2014We just went 2 nights ago. Guacamole with chips and sangria were good. We were 4 in our party and 3 ordered the same main entrée.. chicken with mole.. none of us liked it. If it was one person.. ok maybe it was just that persons food.. but when its 3 people?? Something isn't right. Rice was bland.. there was no crema, or guac, or salsa, or anything to give that chicken mole flavor. Its a shame because all of us love Mexican food.. this was not the place for it. I spent $117 for 2 people and didn't enjoy it.
- excelentegabyDined on 4/30/2014Me encantó la comida, el ambiente y la atención. Excelente el guacamole, los postres y la sangría. Muy bonita la decoración. Muy grata la experiencia. Volvería de todas maneras a probar otros platos o para salir con amigos para compartir una celebración.Special Features:
- GreatNYCDinerDined on 4/24/2014Havent been to Rosa Mexicano in awhile. As I live around the corner it made sense to try it again. It was wonderful. While the food was good, the service was extraordinary. I asked the server to turn down the music and she said absolutely and then apologized for taking so long ( it took 5 minutes). What's more another server came by to thank me for making that request as she agreed it was way too loud. The food was good, not as great as I remember, but would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty mexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/24/2014great guacamole, delicious enchiladas with mole sauce, yummy margaritas. loud and lively upfront, quieter for conversation in back. not cheap, but that's the neighborhood.
- Not the usualmidtownVIPDined on 4/15/2014This isn't your usual taco joint. Though no longer alone in offering Mexican with a flair, it's still consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passover again!ronnibretDined on 4/14/2014The second year that we've had our seder meal at Rosa and all our friends are jealous and want to join us next time. Fun, bountiful riff on the real thing makes us keep coming back! Join us in 2015!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalBearvoleDined on 4/14/2014The last time we ate at this restaurant was on our honeymoon in 2002, the food was exceptional then and is just as good 12 years later ! Highly recommended and hopefully will be back sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy but goodCaptainMike46VIPDined on 4/11/2014Always good food and service. But a bit noisy. Overall well recommended
- LOVEEEEE!Key1crumDined on 4/10/2014It doesn't get any better then Rosa Mexicano They have the BEST, I REPEAT THE BEST GUACAMOLE IVE EVER HAD honestly I've never been a salsa or guacamole person but Rosa Mexicano has turned me out Love the decor First time I came with friends. They actually brung me there and I loved it. Then I brung a friend and he loved it lol. I'm sure he's gonna bring a friend and his friend will love it Service is amazing I always go late(10:30/11:00pm) I never feel rushed or feel like the service gets worst the later it gets(some places are like that) Drinks are amazing aswell My fave is everything lol Can't wait to go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The guacamole is Nector toOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/7/2014The guacamole is Nector to The Gods. Had it delivered to me after giving birth at New York Hospital to my son 17 years ago and still great. Always order the skewered camerones but there are many other great choices - buden azteca, pollo a la parilla, etc. Friend ordered the special salmon the other night and liked it. The margeritas are topnotch and it is hard to just have one. It is about the only time I order one (or two). Desserts, while usually unnecessary, by the time one is asked, are the only weak part of the menu, IMHO.Special Features:
- Love this place!SRO22VIPDined on 4/6/2014My Husband and I have always enjoyed the food here! I don't love the crowds, but what do you expect when the food is that great!Special Features:
- deliciousVIPDined on 4/5/2014always go back consistently very good great margheritasI would recommend this to a friend.
- So much fun! Great foodheroVIPDined on 4/4/2014great time, delicious food and drinks, service wonderful...not much bar room if you are planning to wait a while for your tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2014One of our favorites when in New York, reinforced by this trip. As usual friendly and attentive service, great meals all around. A must is the guacamole with the homemade little tortillas! All the entres were excellent - short ribs, salmon, chicken with huitlecoche. We will be back the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTaurusDined on 3/28/2014This was our 3rd there and the food and service do not disappoint! The pomegranate margarita is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good menu choices are back...ktarVIPDined on 3/27/2014Margarita glass has gotten smaller. Original generous goblet shrunk to a more modest tumbler. Food delicious. Staff...hit and miss.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningARIinManhattanDined on 3/24/2014Perfect service........delicious food........clean and organized.......comfortable decor!........... Very low background noise level........pleasant ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ! Mexican with a twist!DebSDined on 3/24/2014Advertised as having the "worlds best guacamole" and it was right up there! The food was excellent and the menu was not your typical Mexican fare. The margaritas were really good too! Loved this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good but restaurantJessDined on 3/21/2014Food was good but restaurant was hot and very tight (crowded). Columbus location much nicer.