Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
1063 1st Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosamexicano.com/
- Phone: 2127537407x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch (Saturday and Sunday only) : 12 pm - 4 pm
Monday 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Tuesday - Friday 5:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Saturday 4:00 PM - 11:30 PM
Sunday 4:00 PM - 10:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ignacio Cotzomi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a full range of catering options: buffet stations, prix fixe menus, family style menus, passed hors d'ouvres, etc. We also offer off-premise catering for groups of all sizes. For Large Party Reservations, please contact Camille Karimzad at 212.835.1739 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 12 in our dining room for a la carte or family style dinners. We can also accommodate up to 150 for daytime events or evening buyout events. Partial room buyouts are also available. Please contact Camille Karimzad at 212.835.1739 or email at email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Camille Karimzad 2128351739x
- Entertainment: On special occasions, we frequently have guest musicians and/or mariachis present to heighten the festive atmosphere. Please contact the restaurant directly with questions.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR AT CANTINA BAR | DAILY, 5-7 pm
Half-price select cocktails and appetizers will make you very happy for much more than an hour.
A word from Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue
Our flagship location opened its doors on First Avenue in 1984. From the moment you arrive, old world charm permeates your dining experience through authentic Mexican colors and rustic folk art. Traditional amate gods greet you at the front entrance and brightly colored papel picado hangs from the ceiling. Corn tortillas are made on site and an exposition grill further seduces your senses. With its warm ambiance and outstanding cuisine, this Rosa Mexicano location has remained a perennial New York favorite for over 25 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)fit for foodies (74)good for groups (61)special occasion (42)kid-friendly (26)romantic (26)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (24)great for lunch (14)late-night find (12)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Horrible serviceRemarkVIPDined on 7/18/2014We booked a table for two on Friday night. Took a while for the waiter to come over for our drink order. We finished our drinks then had to flag him down to order our meal. Meal arrived waiter never checked in to see how everything was. Finished eating had to wave down waiter again to get check.
- Wonderful Mexican FoodHelloVIPDined on 7/12/2014We truly enjoyed our meal. As usual, the guacamole was excellent and the salmon was cooked to perfection.
- Filete con Hongas & Crepas CamaroneJamesVIPDined on 7/12/2014Been here hundreds of times over last 25+ years, since the Josephina days. My family & friends all love the place. We all agree that our favorite dishes are the Filete con Hongas & Crepas Camarones. The filet mignon is my favorite steak anywhere -- I won't buy steak anywhere else. The Crepas Camarones are very typical mexican as my sister who lived in Mexico for years can attest to. Both of these dishes you will not find elsewhere. We love the ambiance, but do miss sorely the old pink table clothes. And for all the hundreds of visits, the service has always been very pleasant and overall perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is no TexMex!ArtiDined on 7/12/2014Good authentic Mexican food! This is not TexMex. I not pricey for Mexican food--but well worth it. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, wonderful service!dmtrDined on 7/10/2014My husband and I went to Rosa Mexicano for the first time in a while. Started with the guacamole--always delicious! He had a lamb dish cooked in parchment - it was so tender it fell off the bone! I had chicken tortilla pie - also delicious. We ended our meal with churros and a signature mango cup with coconut ice cream (very refreshing!) The service is attentive; not overbearing. It was a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ConsistentGLLEDined on 6/30/2014The food is always good and the service excellent. They don't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ReviewMeliskiDined on 6/27/2014The guacamole and the margaritas were outstanding! I would go back and recommend others go just for these two menu items. The tortilla soup was pretty good to. That's where it ends... Server forgot our appetizer, fish tacos and shrimp tacos were barely edible, children's menu quesadillas were awful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamanthaSamanthaDined on 6/26/2014Rosa Mexicano is a great neighborhood restaurant. The food is delicious, margarita choices are great, service is excellent. What else do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1161 reviews are from the Rosa Mexicano - First Avenue reviews archive.
- One of our favoritesTimoDined on 6/21/2014A place with fond memories for our family, we return for amazing meals whenever we get a chance. The specialty taco tasting menu was fun. The fillette taco was a delicious starter option. The pomegrante margaritas are delicious and certainly pack a powerful punch. The server was patient, informative and attentive. Thanks again for a great meal!Special Features:
- Love the 1st ave locationKmMkVIPDined on 6/19/2014We had such a lovely meal on Thursday that we tried to go to the union square location today - for me, they are not even in the same class. Mistake on my part.
- A bit too expensivebassish101VIPDined on 6/14/2014The menu is quite pricey, and while the food is good, the prices don't match the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Delicious unique MexicanChristineDined on 6/14/2014Had not been to this restaurant in over 20 years but had good memories so decided to take my family for a birthday celebration. The food was delicious starting with the guacamole which is made table side. The service was super and our waiter was friendly and efficient. My only complaint was that my red snapper did not come with any vegetables. For the price I think it should have come with some nice sides. Otherwise we enjoyed a very nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experiencehighnotemanDined on 6/14/2014Recently dined at Rosa Mexicano with friends who were visiting from St. Louis...food was good, service excellent and overall had a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect authentic MexicanNYCgirlDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I been going to Rosa's since it opened. Terrific from the moment we were seated. Pomegranate margaritas a o tasty. Guacamole the best. All entrees, especially Queso F delicious, as were enchilladas and salmon. NOT Tex-Mex. a gem on the UES.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousVIPDined on 6/13/2014best shortribs and guacamole service atmosphere tops
- Great MexicanprincieDined on 6/10/2014Rosa Mexicano is a great neighborhood restaurant which is cozy and consistently good! The margaritas are the best in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014The best guacemole ever! Fantastic soft tacos, a lot of food for the amount we paid! When I come back to nyc I will go to this restaurant! Service was also perfect, and they served norwegian water! Big plus!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome time!FullandHappyDined on 5/31/2014Rosa Mexicano is a place I will definitely be going to again! Great pomegranate margaritas (the tequila was nice and strong) and they sang "Happy Birthday!" in the cutest way possible. Definitely a great place to spend a night out with the girls and just celebrate!Special Features:
- deliciousVIPDined on 5/30/2014love rosa always go back food service ambience gr8 as are hostsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening, good priceBigDaveDined on 5/28/2014We booked this restaurant hoping it would be a good place for a group of us to enjoy a good meal, and it was that. The staff were very efficient and helpful and the menu was varied with reasonable prices. The food was tasty but I must say not as spicey as I had hoped. They have one, two or three stars for mild to very hot.... I love Mexican food and although this was very tasty, it didn't have the zing I was expecting. Having said that we did have a good time, and thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican FareBillDined on 5/28/2014Excellent food, great server who knew what sangrita was and could recommend appropriate taquils. When thinking of Mexican food Rosa Mexicano always comes to mind first.
- Mexican food at it's bestgdfdmavineVIPDined on 5/24/2014Rosa Mexicano never disappoints. Our server Jay was sterling as usual. He remembered our drink order as we were there 2months ago. He also was helpful in suggesting I order a double portion of the spare rib appetizer. The dinner was as good as always. It's been our tradition to come here every Memorial Day weekend. The guacamole is always the best as well as their signature margaritas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful Eveninghostess67Dined on 5/19/2014I had to book a table for 8 very last minute. 3 of the guests were children and 6 were out-of-towners. I had been to the Union Square area one once and enjoyed the food but they were full so we tried first avenue. The setting there is much more intimate though you we were at a table for 8. We were in our own corner and it felt like a private party. The service was excellent and everyone enjoyed their meal. When you have an evening with friends and family and all you remember was how delicious the food was and how much fun it was to be together, that is a successful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelighliociousTasteMattersDined on 5/19/2014Excellent service food and experience mole sauce amazing perfect nightSpecial Features:
- Best gourmet Mexican cuisineDocPaulDined on 5/18/2014I continue to go back because it is delicious, romantic and fun! service has always been great. BEST GUACAMOLE ANYWHERE! The braised short ribs, lamb shank, crab salad and Bodin des Tortillas are my favorite dishes, but you can't go wrong with any menu item. The espresso flan is yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole heavenOpinionatorVIPDined on 5/18/2014Great Mexican food at every course! Staff helpful and very well trained.Special Features:
- Neighborhood atmosphereLetsomeoneelsecookDined on 5/16/2014I have been to other Rosa Mexicanas, both in NY and Minneapolis. This one has the same great food (excellent guacamole prepared at your table) but a less upscale atmosphere. It feels more like a neighborhood Mexican restaurant. It was also less crowded than some of the others - due to location I'm sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodSRO22VIPDined on 5/11/2014We often try something new and are always very pleased!Special Features:
- Best guacamole in townJoanRDined on 5/9/2014Any food we have had there is good, but the guacamole is a must. It is made at the table, very fresh and amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sangria!J10022VIPDined on 5/6/2014I came here for their happy hour, so I cannot speak on behalf of their main courses, but the appetizers were great and the sangria was refreshing and fruity! The pork belly and scallop tacos and the queso fundido are must haves! The bar area is pretty small, so I wouldn't come here with big groups. I can't wait to come back to try the guacamole.Special Features:
- Cinco de MayoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2014Happy party place for Cinco de Mayo. It was hectic and filled up completely. You would think they were giving the fool away. They were not! Our bill was over $130 and we only had two margaritas. My sister's steak was excellent. I did not like my mahi tacos. The guacamole was not as good as usual and they did not make it table side. This restaurant is much better during normal days.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/5/2014Truly the best qucamole I ever had. Good food and great drinks. Would highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceprincieDined on 5/5/2014Food and margaritas are consistently good! Always enjoy going Rosa MexicanoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something off tonightAbandonedVIPDined on 5/4/2014We love this restaurant...but tonight was a little off. Both time to receive food and taste of food was not what we expectrd.Special Features:
- Excellent food.excelletnDined on 5/4/2014I was with 2 other lady friends and we had long conversations. Waiter was very patient and attentive. Did not rush us at all. Enjoyed everything.Special Features:
- Always great.MikeDined on 5/3/2014A favorite of my wife & I. On the expensive side, but worth it.
- Food not so goodCcoolnpDined on 5/3/2014We just went 2 nights ago. Guacamole with chips and sangria were good. We were 4 in our party and 3 ordered the same main entrée.. chicken with mole.. none of us liked it. If it was one person.. ok maybe it was just that persons food.. but when its 3 people?? Something isn't right. Rice was bland.. there was no crema, or guac, or salsa, or anything to give that chicken mole flavor. Its a shame because all of us love Mexican food.. this was not the place for it. I spent $117 for 2 people and didn't enjoy it.
- excelentegabyDined on 4/30/2014Me encantó la comida, el ambiente y la atención. Excelente el guacamole, los postres y la sangría. Muy bonita la decoración. Muy grata la experiencia. Volvería de todas maneras a probar otros platos o para salir con amigos para compartir una celebración.Special Features:
- GreatNYCDinerDined on 4/24/2014Havent been to Rosa Mexicano in awhile. As I live around the corner it made sense to try it again. It was wonderful. While the food was good, the service was extraordinary. I asked the server to turn down the music and she said absolutely and then apologized for taking so long ( it took 5 minutes). What's more another server came by to thank me for making that request as she agreed it was way too loud. The food was good, not as great as I remember, but would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty mexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/24/2014great guacamole, delicious enchiladas with mole sauce, yummy margaritas. loud and lively upfront, quieter for conversation in back. not cheap, but that's the neighborhood.