House of Prime Rib
1906 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
House of Prime Rib
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://houseofprimerib.net/
- Phone: 4158854605
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Management 4158854605
A word from House of Prime Rib
62 years of loyal customers can't be wrong. We are grateful to all of our customers, employees, and critics (...though we may not always agree!). The only way to find out the truth is with a visit. Oft imitated, never duplicated. Thank you in advance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
House of Prime Rib - Best Restaurants in Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness ›
House of Prime Rib reviews from OpenTable diners
701 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (528)good for groups (340)fit for foodies (252)notable wine list (222)romantic (203)neighborhood gem (178)hot spot (145)vibrant bar scene (87)kid-friendly (70)late-night find (35)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Worth it!JohnDined on 10/7/2014Great Prime Rib. Look to make reservations a week early so you get in, but energetic restaurant with good drinks, nice ambience and delicious prime rib. Have wanted to try this place for a few years and finally made it; I wasn't dissappointed & will make it back when in San Fran!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique experienceAmyDVIPDined on 10/7/2014I am always blown away by how well this restaurant is run, like a well-oiled machine. The service is always fantastic, and every detail is attended to without fail. The prime rib is mouth watering.Special Features:
- Never happened like this beforeRoadWarriorDined on 10/7/2014From the table being a bit wobbly (fixed with a book of matches) to the servers inattentiveness at times to the (GASP) well done piece of PrimeRib served to me (asked for MedRare.........which was replaced in short order to be fair), to waiting and waiting and waiting for dessert and refills on coffee after the meal..............well, other than that, it was great. It is very difficult to have this experience be a home run every time out, but I think this happens once inawhile in very, very successful restaurants. Usually this happens to others in the 8 or 10 p.m. seatings, but my reservation was 5:30, so maybe the team wasn't ready to "hit it" when the doors opened that night. Oh well...........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining experienceTeocmDined on 10/6/2014Now I know why it's always full everyday. Great food (bread was hot and delicious, Salad was scrumptious and King Henry was tender and flavorful!), great wines n cocktails, friendly service. Noise level was high but I guess you can't escape that in a popular place.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014I have never been a prime rib fan. I think maybe because it was never done as well as the House of Prime Rib did it. The food was great and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Must visit while at SFOGroneDined on 10/6/2014Simple menú choices for a classic prime rib experience. Good wine list and bar. Meat has a superb taste. Mind you is a popular, busy venue so ambiance is quite hectic and noisy, buy friendly.Special Features:
- First time, very happy!!Luv2dineDined on 10/6/2014It was my first time and I knew it was going to be good. But everything about the night was great...service, drinks, food and atmosphere was wonderful!! Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014Choose meat or fish, mash or baked potatoe and creamed corn or spinach and let them do the rest. Come hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We expect betterweexpectbetterDined on 10/5/2014We were very disappointed in our visit. This was a special occasion and the food was not up to the standards we had expected. My son ordered King Henry prime rib and got a small size instead of a large size he paid for. Also all three prime ribs we ordered were not as tender as we have experienced at your restaurant before. The meat was actually tough in places. I ordered the halibut and was told that it was not available and I had to settle for salmon.
- Old Time ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2014Prime rib was great. You are going for the experience. It was good food in the old-time steakhouse style. Creamed spinach, potato and Yorkshire pudding (why?). Great service amd a fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure.....ExcellentDined on 10/5/2014This is one of our family's favorite placed to eat....from the valet service, the hostess, and the ENTIRE staff!! They all go above and beyond to make everything very enjoyablke!! The excelent food just puts the whole experience over the top!!!Special Features:
- A No brainer for a special occasionglodonDined on 10/3/2014Had reservations for 5:00 pm. Parked with the valet right away and seated at table around 5:10. Everything was right on after that. Food met our expectations and then some. Prices are still reasonable.Special Features:
- Always GreatJimbo88Dined on 10/2/2014It's traditional but its a great place to go! It was 9:30 PM on a Thursday night and the place was packed! The prime rib is the best, great flavor, always tender, and the sides are just as good! A must try if you never have! Make reservations!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvhprDined on 10/2/2014This was a Birthday dinner. My brother's birthday and he drove down from Folsom to eat here. Everything was so delicious. Or waiter was Very good. The meat was like no other place that you order Prime Rib. It is a very special place in family to celebrate a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All good but the Creamed CornCRS1Dined on 10/2/2014All the food was good except for the Creamed Corn. It was not up to par during this visit. It was dry and the corn was not fresh at all. It is usually good, but not sure what happened to the preparation of that dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Prime RibAlanDined on 10/1/2014If you want the best Prime Rib west of the Mississippi, go to the House of Prime Rib on Van Ness Ave. in San Francisco. The menu is limited to prime rib, accompanied by a tasty salad, creamed spinach, mashed or baked potato, and Yorkshire Pudding. The service is wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/1/2014outstanding in every way food atmosphere waiter wine refill on prime rib was a nice touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond amazingBulldogvetmsuDined on 9/30/2014Thanks to Anthony Bourdain San Francisco's no reservation episode we decided to experience this restaurant for ourself and we were definitely not disappointed. We started with martinis at the bar and our bartender was amazing. We then had the most delicious prime rib dinner to celebrate our honeymoon. They book fast so definitely get a reservation 3-4+days in advance. Strongly recommend stopping here for a great nice dinner while in san fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than what I expected!BayernGalDined on 9/30/2014Having grown up in the Bay Area, I had just sort of assumed that a restaurant which has been around as long as this place has, would have grown "tired". Boy, was I wrong! After seeing the restaurant on Anthony Bourdain No Reservations, my boyfriend insisted that we go. Reservations were made two months in advance. The food and the wine were superb though I would never recommend it to my vegetarian friends. The meal was huge. My boyfriend ordered a Henry VIII cut, and I chose the A La Carte Fish. We shared the salad and the Yorkshire pudding. It was still a huge amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost some charmOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/30/2014It has been years since I was last at House of Prime Rib. The menu and food were the same but the service was not. The cool crisp salad dressed with flourish was room temp and hastily pulled together. The wine service was a joke. No table side carving. It was a busy night and the whole experience felt mass and touristy. A bit disappointing.Special Features:
- Delicious and fun!BernalGal1VIPDined on 9/30/2014It's become a family tradition to come on my son's birthday. The place is noisy, lively and fun with lots of people celebrating borthdays. Very festive! And the prime rib is great, as are all the "fixins'."Special Features:
- Surprisingly kid friendlyMTSMommaDined on 9/30/2014We dined at House of Prime Rib on the last night of my parent's visit to San Francisco. We knew it would be a hit with them but we weren't sure how our 8 month old son would handle a loud busy restaurant meant for adults. He did great - very well behaved and happy. What most surprised me was how kid-friendly this non-kid friendly restaurant was. They had high chairs, a changing table (in both the men's and women's bathrooms) and our server interacted with him every time she came to the table. The wine list is excellent, the service is phenomenal and the food is top notch, but I was most impressed with how they treated my son. For that, we will definitely be back with more visitors.Special Features:
- Not for real steak loversAranDined on 9/28/2014Nice place with very friendly service and good ambient. Menu is short which I find good but steak is baked and all sides are with sauce, butter or cream. In my opinion a good steak should let you enjoy its taste; sauces do not let you appreciate it. Pricey place for an average steak, good for roast beef type of dish.
- Best steakistanbulsfoDined on 9/28/2014One of the best steak house in SFO, eat King Henry w Mashed Potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mens restroomRibeyeloverDined on 9/28/2014Dirty! Specially the toilet sit!....overall the food and service was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeefeaterDined on 9/28/2014The service was excellent and the prime rib fabulous. The Yorkshire pudding was the real thing. We definitely will go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014If you love prime rib, you have got to try this place! Great service and great food! Well worth the money!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014This place is a long-standing tradition in SF. The food is great. Prime Rib at its' peak. It is a bustling place, with all kinds of activity and celebrating. Not a place for a quiet romantic dinner, but quite an experience. We've gone several times with different friends each time and everyone we have taken there has LOVED it. Plan in advance, it's a bit hard to get a reservation, but well worth the planning. Delicious.Special Features:
- Best Steak DinnerCarolaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was amazing like always. We got Anotnio who rocked! And I have to mention that they make one of the best Green Apple Martinis :-)Special Features:
- Usually great...not this timechuckDined on 9/27/2014Have been going to HPR for 25yrs plus. Weather with friends or alone I have always had GREAT food and service. This was not the case 9.27.14 around 6:00. The potion of meat was much smaller than I had been served in the past. The service was rushed and VERY lacking in response. (server: Yannick) I had planned to stay longer and have an after dinner drink/coffee but do to the poor service I could not wait to get out of there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Robert S in Sacramento 32RobertSSacramento32Dined on 9/27/2014Went to the House on Saturday after spending the day in SF. This is one of my favorite restaurants in SF and I dine here several times a year. Made reservations on Open Table and received several confirmations leading up to Saturday. Arrived a few minutes early so we had a drink at the bar. As usual everyone I came into contact (hostess, bartender, servers and manager) provided a high level of service and were friendly. I like the ambience, staff and food at the House. I ordered the King Henry cut and I didn't leave hungry. The entire experience was great as were all previous visits. I highly recommend the House of Prime Rib and due to it's popularity the reservations fill up fast so plan a month or two in advance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food and service was amazing. The only choice to make is type if cut and mashed or baked potato. Its all wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Eub at it's finestdining4funDined on 9/26/2014Some if the best prime rib ever. The sides leave much to be desired. Very bland. Next time I will order just the prime rib and potatoe. Not crazy about the seasoned salt added to the salad. Great desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a joy to come backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Service was great, the wait was a little long even with a reservation but with a place with that much volume, it was expected. Food was perfect, I had the house of prime rib cut (med rare) with creamed spinach and mash potatoes. They were out of frog's leap Cabernet unfortunately :( but someone was able to make a great recommendation for something just as good. Overall, 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta go here at least once!foodisgoodDined on 9/25/2014Really fun scene. Great for locals who like being tourists in SF too! Old time, loud, tons of service, great drinks, awesome meat ... Makes eating an event. Love the menu...sm, med, or lge prime rib or fish of the day. A simple, easy, great meal.Special Features:
- chucklettmeatnpotatoesDined on 9/25/2014The food was delicious and the service was great. We were seated next to a large group of men who were incredibly loud, to the point where our group of 4 couldn't hear ourselves talking to each other. Everything else was so fantastic that we still had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuerreroOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Everything was great. Making reservations is recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food..Quick Service.Too QuickHofPRDined on 9/24/2014Food and service was GREAT but there definitely seemed to be a strategy to move people quickly. It was truly a great time with great GREAT food! I would go back in a second. Just a little constructive criticism to not be so transparent in moving people in and out the restaurant as the frantic pace is noticeable. Be more crafty about it. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeatfulldinerDined on 9/23/2014Come hungry-hot sourdough bread--let it cool before tearing into it, classic chopped salad that may fill you up too soon--so save room for the entree. Stuffed baked potato with plenty of real bacon bits, chive and sour cream--just ate half of it. The prime rib was very rare (requested medium rare)-so ask for medium if you want rare. Creamed spinach and Yorkshire pudding were good. Three levels of horseradich sauces--the hot cleared my sinuses. Good cocktails. Did not have wine with dinner. Good coffee. Did not manage any dessert--but saw a very big slice of chocolate cake and bread pudding with ice cream that looked really good. Only dine here if you love meat and carbs.Special Features:
- HOPR - 09/22/14, 6pm reservationRussellDined on 9/23/2014Reservation was fine & we were seated timely. Prices have gone up and portions seemed to have gotten smaller. The noise was a roar. It felt like I was at a Giant's or 49er game.