6476 Washington St.
Yountville, CA 94599Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.adhocrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079442487
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch - 10:30 to 2 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Katie Hagan-Whelchel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Along with our events team, ad hoc is able to provide off-site services for private functions.
- Private Party Facilities: ad hoc can be reserved entirely for any size private party up to 98. Large party dining is also available for groups up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Cassie Sealing 7079442487
A word from Ad Hoc
Thomas Keller’s ad hoc, which literally means "for this purpose," was originally intended to be a temporary restaurant, open during the development of a very different concept. But, due to its loyal following, it was decided that it must be a permanent fixture in Yountville. ad hoc serves a prix fixe, 4-course chalkboard menu, changing daily. Food is served family style and reminiscent of the comfort food with which Chef Keller grew up.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ad Hoc - Best Restaurants in Yountville ›
Ad Hoc reviews from OpenTable diners
409 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (294)special occasion (176)hot spot (125)notable wine list (119)good for groups (118)neighborhood gem (114)great for outdoor dining (85)great for brunch (68)romantic (50)kid-friendly (34)great for lunch (32)vibrant bar scene (25)scenic view (13)late-night find (10)Show More
- Ad Hocmdw12053Dined on 7/24/2014Our third trip to Ad Hoc and each and very time it's been a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- AD HocOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014Food was overcooked though salad was delicious. Appreciated a gluten free dessert.
- Buttermilk fried chickenCarolynDined on 7/21/2014We were told the best tine is when they serve chicken but with reservations made in advance, it's a crapshoot. We were the lucky ones and loved the chicken. Service was excellent. Wine pairing was so-so. Overall, we would recommend if to friends and go back.Special Features:
- Exceptional!FoodieChickDined on 7/21/2014Incredible meal!! we were there the night they served fried chicken and it was phenomenal!!! Join their mailing list so you can see the daily menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvfoodluvthefoodDined on 7/20/2014Great restaurant! Loved the concept! Food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for four or six peoplesglezDined on 7/19/2014Great food. We really like the way they serve the food. Because is a fixed menu, the food is served in a bowl or plate at the center of the table. Our party of four have a blast with this. We were tired of wine for the day and the waiter was very friendly to serve tap water.Special Features:
- Outstanding!mroseDined on 7/19/2014As always, a perfect culinary experience - incredibly fresh, flavorful, perfectly cooked food; impeccable and thoughtful service; a lovely, appreciative crowd of diners; and all around another memorable meal at ad hoc.Special Features:
- Unbelievable dining experienceTomCDined on 7/19/2014The meal was delicious. Sometimes you just have to put yourself in the hands of the chef. We've been here twice and each time, it's been a remarkable meal.Special Features:
- Details, details!EagleartsDined on 7/18/2014Food was very tasty with enthusiastic service. Unfortunately the restaurant has little to no ambience, terrible lighting and an unfortunate music playlist. With more attention to these important details Ad Hoc could be a memorable dining exerience. Otherwise it's quite one dimensional.Special Features:
- Another Keller masterpieceFlipperVIPDined on 7/14/2014Ad Hoc's Family-style pre fix menu works surprisingly well in star abundant Yountville. The garden grown tomato salad was a fine beginning to a well paced meal. The pepper and coffee crusted brisket was spectacular. My only regret was not adding the fried chicken to my plate. Expensive but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MelanieVIPDined on 7/13/2014Daniel was an amazing waiter and really formed our dining experience. He was low key, extraordinarily well-spoken but also plain and fun! Food was exquisite. Makes you realize everything else is muddy & mediocre. Had a magical meal and coming back for more...soon!Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014Good qualité food, good ambiance and excellent service.Special Features:
- Dinner great! Brunch not so goodElcarimDined on 7/13/2014Let me start off by saying that Ad Hoc has wonderful food....some of the best I've ever eaten but our recent brunch there was a big disappointment. After spending $200 (including tip and 2 cocktails) the three of us left hungry. Simply not enough food for the money spent. I would suggest that this restaurant raise the price of brunch and add more food. I've gone to brunches all of the country and NEVER left one hungry until my recent experience at Ad Hoc!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Everything was cooked to perfection. If you can't get in to French laundry this is nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014A fabulous experience food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014The restaurant is casual but the experience is anything but. Service is impeccable and you get great value for the food (just read the AdvHoc cookbook to get an idea how much elaborate preparation is required for even simple dishes).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/11/2014The quality as expected is great. Careful in taking very large parties because with a single prix fix menu, if there is something that individuals dislike, there is very little flexibilitySpecial Features:
- BrendaDined on 7/11/2014It was a lovely evening and will always be remembered as one of our "culinary highlights"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBandecarrDined on 7/10/2014Incredible food and service! Ad Hoc was exactly what we expected and MORE. Inside was pretty loud, so we dined on the patio. You do not select your entree so you need to be pretty flexible and flexable, but you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMarinFoodLoverVIPDined on 7/10/2014We always enjoy our dinner at Ad Hoc but tonight's menu was particularly well executed. The salad was a blend of yellow watermelon, cantaloupe, kalamata olives, creamy feta and shaved fennel. Delicious! The grilled ribeye steak with flavorful veggies and polenta were perfectly cooked. The steak was served medium-rare. It was tender, juicy and well-seasoned. Yum! Dessert was described as espresso panna cotta with brownies. The brownies turned out to be gluten-free and lacked the usual structure of a regular brownie but were full of chocolate flavor. The panna cotta tasted more like a butterscotch pudding with a hint of espresso. It was quite good. A steaming pot of French press coffee paired well with the dessert. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Great farm to table foodPAfromAustinDined on 7/6/2014Awesome food and cocktails, everything we ate was super tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good comfort foodTrz66Dined on 7/6/2014If you are expecting something that will blow you away, this is not the place. If you want pretty simple comfort using the best ingredients and prepared really well then you will enjoy Ad Hoc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 7/5/2014Great for any event. We have been there 6-7 times over the past years and have never been disappointed With the food or services. This time pork ribs. Once they had a vegetarian option for our friends when we went for fried chicken night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent overallauggsterDined on 7/4/2014Super friendly staff that means well. Some awkwardness between the high frequency of staff checking in and our pace of the meal. Food was overall great - especially the vegetables' preparation and clear quality of and treatment taken towards ingredients overall. Some dishes were a little heavy on the salt though, and wish there were more alternatives or options for those who do not do as well with dairy.Special Features:
- Luv2gooutVIPDined on 6/30/2014We believe that the restaurant should post that "Fried Chicken Mondays" is not on every Monday. Their absolutely delicious fried chicken is served every other Monday. We wondered why the restaurant was not completely full that night. Well it was an "off" Monday. When you have your heart set on a particular meal, and then you are offered something completely different, it was a bit disappointing. We had a round of cocktails, then excused ourselves. Next time we will call first!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2014I read a rave review about Ad Hoc in Travel and Leisure so I reserved a table during my recent Napa Valley visit. It did not disappoint! The menu is pre-fix, changes on a daily basis, and is very reasonably priced at $52. Our entrée was smoked sirloin with a mouth watering spinach red beans and rice. Very different and VERY good!Special Features:
- Always professionalCindyDfromNapaDined on 6/30/2014Dinner at Ad Hoc is always a professional operation. The food is great and the service is attentive and knowledgeable. I especially appreciate the leisurely pace and casual vibe of family style dining. We were lucky enough to be seated outside. The patio is pretty small, so noise level was very low - it was almost like dining on a private deck at someone's home. A great way to celebrate my husband's birthday.Special Features:
- Confirmatory experienceUnclbarVIPDined on 6/30/2014We'd heard wonderful things about ad hoc. They are all true. Interesting, well prepared food, perfect service. If I had to pick a nit (which reviewers should do): the patio is not really scenic and on this particular night was loaded with bothersome little flies. But that's really a nit on an elephant. This is a terrific eating experience and we'd go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsKingsofthenorthDined on 6/29/2014Service, Food, Ambience -- all were top notch Sunday night at ad hoc. Perfect way to end an 8 day road trip! As a fan of Chef Keller and an avid user of the ad hoc cookbook, I was very much looking forward to dinner here. And all expectations were exceeded. Thank you for great food and hospitality!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExpereinceSoniDDined on 6/29/2014Dining at Ad Hock is an experience, with the menu changing each day. You never know what you will get, but we enjoyed our meal immensely. It was by far our most favorite meal of our trip to the Napa Valley. the food was outstanding and the service was attentive but not over done.Special Features:
- HeavenzelbonoDined on 6/29/2014Everything was superb. Unhurried. Professional wait staff. Good portions. Unpretentious. Exceeded our high expectations.Special Features:
- fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/29/2014the meal we had here was fabulous in every way! we will be heading to Yountville again soon.Special Features:
- NiceKatiedogDined on 6/29/2014Great brunch..great service..met friends here and had a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classicOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/29/2014I've eaten at the other Thomas Keller restaurants in Yountville and couldn't wait to eat at Ad Hoc. Since we were leaving to go home on Sunday I thought brunch would be a nice change to eating at the airport on the way home. What can I say, best brunch ever. Biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs to die for. I am sure glad I don't live closer or I would way 400 lbs!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014For all the hype over this place I was definitely not impressed. I knew the pre fixe menu going in and it sounded great. But the food was just very, very average if not disappointing to say the least. Perhaps it was an off night, which everyone is entitled to have, but I was not impressed.
- Burned AgainWakemakerVIPDined on 6/27/2014I will never undersatnd how a fixed menu and reservations only can cause someone to wait 25 minutes for dessert. It was offered as a frozen Ice Cream Sandwich w/fresh berries. It was served soft and w/FROZEN berries. The server lied about the problem. I expect more from a Thomas Keller operation.
- Great food, poor servicejwc146Dined on 6/27/2014Recently moved to the area and have dined at many of the restaurants. Food was fantastic, but I've had this thing with a couple Thomas Keller restaurants (Bouchon, now Ad Hoc) where the service really lacks. Very snobby, disinterested. This is in contrast to other Yountville and NV establishments. Service annoying enough that it makes us less likely to go in the future, which is a shame since the food was so good and would have been nice to have this be a go-to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ad Hoc does it againRoyHDined on 6/26/2014We stop in at Ad Hoc on every visit to the wine country and this time the meal was outstanding ( as it alwasy is ). The menu for this evening was outstanding with a big thank you for the risotto...amazing....as was the bone in ribeye.....we loved the cheese course and the fresh fruit for the dessert course was a dynamic choice. This is one of the gems in Yountville and we always recommend it to anyone visiting the wine country. We are already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Don't drink the coolaid!CaymanSVIPDined on 6/26/2014After great expectation at eating in a Thomas Keller restaurant, I was only disappointed. The main dish was a grilled ribeye, which was ordered medium rare but arrived medium well. The dish was bland and the meat tough. Not what you would expect from a restaurant of this caliber. We took the wine pairing, which was fair at best, extremely over priced and included only 1 California wine. Big disappointment.
- Not What We ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/26/2014We went in with great expectations. The menu for the night looked fantastic. Grilled Ribeye. We love grilled ribeye. What they actually served at prime rib. Fatty and juicy. We asked our server how it was prepared. He said it was seared on the stove and roasted in the oven. I just couldn't understand the difference in what was advertised vs what was served. The homemade sauce was delicious, though. The rest of the items were very good, not great. Cocktails and wine were good as well. Crostada for dessert was expertly made. Next time I'm in Yountville, I will probably go elsewhere.Special Features: