871 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.molyvos.com/
- Phone: 2125827500x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Monday-Friday 5:30 pm -11:00pm and Saturday-Sunday 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Greek
- Executive Chef: Carlos Carreto
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full off site catering menu available, please see our website for details.
- Private Party Facilities: As John Livanos describes, a Greek meal is best enjoyed in the company of family and friends. So, let your next gathering be a celebration of life here at Molyvos! Whether business or pleasure, sit-down or family-style, treat your guests to a banquet of Chef Carlos Carretos' exquisite Greek creations.
- Private Party Contact: Kamal Kouiri/ Dimitri Catechis; firstname.lastname@example.org 212 582 7500x
- Special Events: Molyvos is available for a complete restaurant buyout. Please contact Kamal Kouri for details at email@example.com.
A word from Molyvos
A Livanos' family creation, Molyvos is the closest you can get to Greece in New York City. Critics agree that Molyvos serves perhaps the finest example of Greek cuisine in New York, and beyond. People from around the world have discovered that Molyvos serves the true foods and wines of Greece, along with a large dose of the country’s warm and lively spirit. Molyvos’ menu is built upon the home-style cooking of Greece using authentic recipes, classical cooking techniques and superior ingredients. The wine list, under the keen direction of Kamal Kouiri, is unique for its depth and breadth of excellent Greek labels and small producers from the Mediterranean whose wine deserves to be enjoyed. Molyvos also boasts a carefully selected Pre and Post-theatre menu that perfectly accompanies an evening of entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Molyvos - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Molyvos reviews from OpenTable diners
312 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (150)neighborhood gem (104)special occasion (95)good for groups (88)great for lunch (66)notable wine list (50)romantic (46)great for brunch (14)late-night find (12)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Food was uniquely deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/19/2008Food was uniquely delicious and the ambiance is charming. The noise level was too high for the atmosphere as a result of an over zelous table and everyone competing to talk over the loud music and the obnoxious guests. Very good choice for pre-theater.Special Features:
- The food was excellent, theBalletomaneDined on 4/19/2008The food was excellent, the ambience attractive and festive and the service was attentive and professional. It is REALLY convenient to both City Center and Carnegie Hall. I would definitely dine there again. Reservations strongly suggested, as it was quite full.Special Features:
- We were seated in a duce alongOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/17/2008We were seated in a duce along a wall on the aisle lading to the back of the restaurant; we were subjected to too much traffic. The service was a little slow and the service staff was inattentive. Overall it was an unexceptional dinning experience.
- We go there regularly forOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/17/2008We go there regularly for pre-theatre and always enjoy it.Special Features:
- 1. When we booked on lineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/16/20081. When we booked on line we were told that there were no 7:30 tables available. But when we arrived at 7:50 the house was mostly empty. 2. I've had better meals there. Moreover, the service was slipshod. We tried to order a selection of apps for the table; the waiter provided no help at all, and produced for four people a platter of four grape leaves, some bread and dips. Main courses were OK, but never again.
- they could use more lightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/15/2008they could use more light meals. We go fairly often and I always end up with the same food. They were very gracious about the Open Table reservation, as always.
- Top seafood! Some of theBelgianWaffleVIPDined on 4/14/2008Top seafood! Some of the best fish I have ever had, grilled fresh from the sea. The haloumi appetizer was ingenious and the deserts were amongst the best executed Greek pastries I have ever had outside of Greece.Special Features:
- i think not offering a lunch/brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2008i think not offering a lunch/brunch menu on the weekend is a mistake. there were many empty tables at 1pm. i noticed 1 couple near me share 1 meal, another decide to order wine and dessert instead of a meal after consulting the menu. i had the prix-fixe and the entree portion was much too large for me to finish. although the chicken was served piping hot, the accompanying vegetables appeared to be somewhat wilted.
- No one in our party enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2008No one in our party enjoyed their meal the dishes were tasteless. The waiter was never available. Molyvos was one of our favorites, but we hadn't been there in a couple of years. It has worsened over time. We will not return!
- The food was very good, asOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2008The food was very good, as was the service. However I thought $12 was a little high for a martini.Special Features:
- Our food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/11/2008Our food was delicious and the place is lovely. But the service was a bit slow. While our waitress was very nice, we had to work to get her attention. And the bus staff was rather intrusive. They tried to take away glasses too soon and plates before food was finished. One just felt them around and bus staff should be less visible. Even so, our water glasses remained empty until we asked for more. Overall, however, I would recommend this place and believe I will go again.Special Features:
- Excellent from the appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2008Excellent from the appetizer to the dessert! Great place to take out of town guests.Special Features:
- As always, lovely food. Wineevrgreen1VIPDined on 4/7/2008As always, lovely food. Wine list is overwhelming, but our server helped us select a bottle of Greek white wine that was great. Cod was first-rate and so was the Dorade-like fish dish. And, wherever the chef finds those amazing tomatoes for the Greek salad--bravo!Special Features:
- While the food was phenomenal,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/6/2008While the food was phenomenal, it was unacceptable that we were left standing outside in the cold, waiting for them to open their doors when we had a 12:00 reservation. If you have reservations for 12, open your doors at least by 10 till and don;t leave your customers standing out in the cold! The coat check was also pointless. When we wanted to leave, the coat check girl was escorting people to tables and we were in a rush so just took our own coats off the rack ourselves...Special Features:
- Good pre-theater dinner. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/5/2008Good pre-theater dinner. My major complaint is that they've taken their wonderful rabbit stifado off the menu.
- A beautiful place, wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2008A beautiful place, wonderful food -- not your standard Greek-restaurant fare, and their version of a standard item was interesting and delicious -- excellent service, noise level significant when it got busy, but tolerable. Small quibble about service, involving bus staff (need to learn how not to drip water on patron -- management should provide additional training and a cloth to wrap around cold water pitcher) and waiter presence (waiter did not check back with us, and it took a while to find him when we wanted our check). On the other hand, these minor items did not detract from our enjoyment of the meal and the surroundings.Special Features:
- It wss everything I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2008It wss everything I expected and more. it is what I would call authentic and inviting, and a must for every visit to new york. obviously a favorite for locals.Special Features:
- I had to change the time ofOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2008I had to change the time of my reservation, and they were very accommodating.Special Features:
- We have eaten in this resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/4/2008We have eaten in this resturant many times and the food and the service is always terrific.Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant beforeHappyLunchersVIPDined on 4/3/2008Our favorite restaurant before a concert at Carnegie. The Greek meatballs with lemon dill sauce and the warm grilled octopus are outstanding!
- We always enjoy eating atOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/3/2008We always enjoy eating at Molyvos and it is very convenient to Carnegie Hall. The food is always very good.Special Features:
- Molyvos is always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/2/2008Molyvos is always delicious and always provides great service. I love the Greek salad, the tomatoes are always nice and juicy and I even like the bowl the salad comes in...much better than eating the salad off a plate. The atmosphere is lively but the room in never too loud, and the menu is divine, especially all fish dishes, and the best Moussaka ever!(I dream abt that Moussaka!)I also love sitting at the bar and just having lots of appetizers, as ALL the appetizers are fantastic, especially Pikilia Of Traditional Greek Spreads,Saganaki,Octapodi Skharas. Also, tho I have been to Molyvos many times, on my recent visit I went with a fellow foodie who had never been there and now he can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- We very much enjoyed the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/2/2008We very much enjoyed the food and ambience of Molyvos. We will go back again.Special Features:
- A very pleasant dining experience.SAJAVIPDined on 4/1/2008A very pleasant dining experience. The wait staff was very attentive and helpful. The food was interesting in a positive way. I would definitely recommend Molyvos to others.Special Features:
- Expensive for what it was...slightlOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/1/2008Expensive for what it was...slightly above average food. The $39 Prix-fix menu required supplements on most of the things you'd want to order.
- Because our server was soOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/1/2008Because our server was so slow, we missed going to our first Opera at The Met. That meal ended up costing us over $300.00 when you add the cost of the opera tickets. We will never recommend, nor patronize Molyvos again.
- Our son's favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/30/2008Our son's favorite restaurant (and one of ours as well, i.e. best greek in ny). We have taken him there for his birthday the last few years.Special Features:
- More expensive than the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/30/2008More expensive than the food or service warranted. The waiter ignored us for much of the meal - I even had trouble catching his eye to get the check. On the plus side, the table was comfortable and nicely spaced, and the restaurant was quiet so our party of four could chat.Special Features:
- Food is not dependable. OfMatineequeenVIPDined on 3/30/2008Food is not dependable. Of three entrees, only one, the lamb shanks, was up to good/very good. The others, roast lamb and moussaka, were fair at best. Lamb dry and over done, moussaka mostly sauce. The swiss chard was excellent. We arrived at 5. Even though we told the server we had a performance at 6:30 and ordered promptly after flagging down the server, our main course only arrived after 6.
- Amazing food, but the waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/29/2008Amazing food, but the waiter was an arrogant and unattentive jerk.Special Features:
- the whole fish was absolutelyredmeat1Dined on 3/29/2008the whole fish was absolutely superb, but a little "pricey" grilled octopus great service: thoughtful great selection of Greek liquors thanks for the "candle" atop the pastry celebrating an anniversary!Special Features:
- Both dinners (two differentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2008Both dinners (two different lamb dishes) we ordered were very good. They waiter was knowledgable about the food being offered on the menu and service was prompt and timely. He also helped us select wine to go with our dinner and he was right on.Special Features:
- Great advice from our waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2008Great advice from our waiter concerning wine selection!Special Features:
- We enjoyed the theater dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2008We enjoyed the theater dinner specials. It was a fixed menu with nice choices (the lamb was additional). The braised lamb was very nice, good portion, great taste. White beans were some of the best ever, maybe the most enjoyable part of the meal. Balkava was so sweet and obviously fresh made. No disappointing parts. Staff was helpful in pairing some nice wines with our meal choices. Very good overall. Thank you.Special Features:
- We go to Molyvos each timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/25/2008We go to Molyvos each time we see a concert at Carnegie Hall. Always a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- This was not one of my betterwellssbVIPDined on 3/25/2008This was not one of my better experiences at this restaurant. The restaurant wasn't crowded. The service was slow. The food was just ok, not as I remember it. And to top it off, it was a little on the pricey side for lunch. I will have to think twice before returning.
- Our dinner reservation forOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/24/2008Our dinner reservation for 4 included 2 visitors from Calgary, 1 a long-time friend we had not met with for many years. There was much visiting and catching up to do so our conversation prolonged the dining service from our arrival early to near closing. At no time did we feel rushed or that we were imposing. The table was ready for our early arrival. We were seated promptly and our server was professional and courteous, assuring us there was no reason to rush. It was a good experience, one we will all remember I'm certain. I will recommend the restaurant and I will return.Special Features:
- Consistently better food andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/23/2008Consistently better food and wine than in Greece! Very enjoyable. Bring a good appetite!Special Features:
- Wonderful Greek food in aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2008Wonderful Greek food in a relaxed setting. Moderate prices (for Midtown)Special Features:
- Incredible experience. I willOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2008Incredible experience. I will definitely recommend this place to all my friends. Food and service were simply perfect! Thanks for the wonderful time and souvenir. I will definitely come back.Special Features: