Betelnut Pejiu Wu
2030 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Pan-AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Betelnut Pejiu Wu
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.betelnutrestaurant.com/index.html
- Phone: 4159298855
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:45pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alexander Ong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
A word from Betelnut Pejiu Wu
For hundreds of years in the bustling cities and fragrant harbors of Asia a favorite and familiar place to savor distinctive local dishes has been the side street beer house, or pejiu wu. Here, large mugs of beer complement emphatically fresh and tantalizing "street food" made with fresh local ingredients and regional spices that tend to be on the hotter side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Betelnut Pejiu Wu reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (33)special occasion (19)vibrant bar scene (17)great for outdoor dining (13)hot spot (13)great for lunch (11)romantic (11)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Consistently worth the trip.SromeroVIPDined on 11/24/2013Betelnut has been a well run restaurant since I first went there around 8 years ago. The small plates, and interesting cocktails make for a fun evening. If you've never been there, check it out. Nice neighborhood with good shops and bars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerSFBrianDined on 11/22/2013Great dinner! My wife and I had dinner on a weekend get-away to SF. Good service and food....will certainly return on our next trip. Booked through open table and all was seamless. Enjoyed!
- Great food but small portionsellebelleDined on 11/19/2013The food was fantastic but smaller than I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!!!!modavaDined on 11/16/2013First time here after hearing so many varied reports. This place is sooooo amazing!!! We loved it!!! I can't wait to return and try more selections!!!!Special Features:
- Continues to be my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/14/2013Continues to be my favorite restaurant in the country (and I live in Manhattan). That's the best complement I can give a place. Fantastic food, service, and vibe all in one. Thanks again for two more great evenings out there last week...wouldn't miss a visit there and converted about another 7 people into Betelnut loyalists while I was there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank God for CalimarioaktwndocDined on 11/9/2013The 'old' Betelnut had, in my opinion, the best calamari (west of NYC). I ate at Betelnut on the last weekend before the big change and my favorite dish was definitely sub par. On my recent visit (Nov 9), the calamari version is better but could still be improved (batter not quite crispy enough). However, the short ribs were great and the cauliflower, fried rice, scallops, oysters and beets were excellent. One of my guests missed the previous menu item (the always excellent bass) but overall the four of us were pleased with the minor exception of a cocktail (cucumber martini). Service was very good, as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must place to visit in San FranciscOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2013I visit SF at least once year, and then is always on my agenda...great for groups. Food is great, service is wonderful.....highly recommended..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Asian in S.F.DaveVIPDined on 11/6/2013We've been dining at Betelnut for years and have always loved their Asian dishes! We keep returning because of the unique array of dishes and warm service. Our last two dinners out have been especially memorable and made our evenings out. We chose from new menus each slightly different from the one before and each . The salad was fresh and the chicken satay and short ribs were hands down the best. The service we have received during our last two dinners has been extremely attentive and friendly. Our sincere compliments to all staff for continuing Betelnut's tradition as the Best Asian of S.F.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent QualityRAGGDined on 11/3/2013I have been to Betelnut a dozen times over the past 11 years, and the quality is always consistent. If you like asian food with a spicy California flair this is a must visit for you. The short ribs are spectacular, and you should give the Roti a try too. You'll be comfortable in jeans and a sweatshirt at this happening neighborhood place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific!loveAsianfoodDined on 11/2/2013Our group of six had an incredible time at Betelnut!. The small plates were perfect to share. Our server and his helpers were wonderfully attentive and helpful. Can't say enough about how quickly the food arrived after we ordered it. Every round of small plates showed up so fast that we wondered if our server could read our minds. The food was delicious, especially those green beans. The big meat eaters in our group were skeptical about what a big deal everyone makes about the green beans, but they were the biggest converts and proclaimed the loudest how great the bean were! Will definitely return to Betelnut and will spread the word about how great it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So GoodKyleDined on 11/2/2013Smallish plates- Great for Sharing- everything on the menu looked great. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/28/2013We always try and go to Betelnut when we are in town. Everything was good and they handled our group of nine very easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Betenut is terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2013I'm from Boston and whenever I'm in San Francisco I always go to Beletenut at least once for dinner. The food, service, and overall experience can't be beat. Always a great meal.Special Features:
- Great place for drinks andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2013Great place for drinks and apps! The oysters are amazing!! Wasn't too impressed with the full menu tapas.Special Features:
- InconsistentNellyDined on 10/26/2013Food was OK but not sure I would return. Three scallops for $15?
- Can we get more of those RIBS!SRCHEF79Dined on 10/19/2013We always have a great time going to Betelnut. This time we took some friends that had never been and they are now in love also. We always order the Garlicky Ribs but tonight we couldn't get enough. Never take them off the menu! We love this restaurant because the food is always fresh and perfect, service is fast and hospitable and its well priced. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is too heavySunflowerDined on 10/18/2013The ambiance is nice, geat service, but the food , for my taste, is too heavy. Lots of cream, oil , not really authentic. Taste is okay, whereas, could use a lot more spices/ fresh herbs. For me it's a nice place for lunch, sitting outside and having a little snack like the satay's, but for dinner it's too rustic .Special Features:
- Used to be betterLockeford1VIPDined on 10/13/2013Yup, definitely not as good as it used to be. Very small section of the "old" Betelnut offerings, and they weren't executed nearly as well. Bummer.Special Features:
- Always love the Szechuan greenCbc2uDined on 10/12/2013Always love the Szechuan green beans and they did not disappoint. Good as ever! Jalapeño margarita was great. And waiter Scott made nice suggestions and took great care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like it once was.regularlydineoutVIPDined on 10/11/2013We have been here before and had a great meal. The food this time was very poor. It tasted as it it was prepared days earlier. Disappointing.
- Great concept, poor executionPaulDined on 10/5/2013Food was supposed to be based on Asian street food. The street food I've had in Asia was full of flavor and spice. There was no heat in any of the dishes we had. Tasted like your standard Chinese food restaurant. Great if you want to play it safe.
- Always a treatJackieVIPDined on 10/2/2013I introduced my San Francisco friend to this great food. She will be back I'm sure. Unfortunately, I live in Sonoma County so it is not so easy for me to patronize. But I'd do it regularly if I were closer. Green beans still my favorite. Loved the new kale salad and calamari were great. We were there on a Wednesday at 5:30 and it was quiet. Started getting lively just as we left.Special Features:
- Everything was really wonderful,SonomaWinoDined on 9/29/2013Everything was really wonderful, from the food to the wait staff to the bussers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't gopartygirlDined on 9/28/2013We were a big group on Sat night. The service was awful. the waiter was totally overwhelmed, and kept missing things. It took him an hour to bring out some drinks and many times I had to go to the cash register area to find him since he was not attentive to the table. We should have had at least 2 servers given the size of the group. At the end, when we were in a hurry to leave, he messed up the check, putting the wrong amount on credit cards. That delayed our night by another 20 min. In general, the staff is rude and obnoxious.
- Great PlaceEdjewDined on 9/20/2013Betelnut was recommended by a good friend of mine so my wife and I decided to dine there our last night while in town. Both the food and service were great. Definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently funEastCoasterDined on 9/19/2013It had been ten years since I got my last Betelnut fix. They are still fantastic. Good food and service. I'll be back next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu changed ruined restaurantLA15VIPDined on 9/18/2013Lots of items that were good were taken off the menu.
- Have been a customer for manyDeliaVIPDined on 9/15/2013Have been a customer for many years, great to see that their menu still has my favorites!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful food & great service!DanKDined on 9/13/2013While I enjoyed the new concept, the old faves are preferred - glad to have things back and hope the new concepts keep coming regardless of what you call the place!Special Features:
- Great food got there justCatspajamaDined on 9/10/2013Great food got there just before closing and the staff was very accommodating did not rush us at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good new dishes at BetelnutOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/9/2013We have eaten at Betelnut for years, but have only recently tried it since the new chef changed the menu. Some favorites are still on the menu like glazed pork short ribs and salt and pepper calamari. We lament that there are no dim sum dumplings like the old shanghai dumplings, but some of the new dishes are quite good. We loved the old steak dish but the new steak is a better cut of meat and a very tasty preparation (although the description on the menu doesn't sound terribly appetizing). We also tried the scallops and they were excellent. The new dishes are more complex and have more ingredients than the old dishes, and we liked having some of each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First choice for AsianDaveVIPDined on 9/4/2013Betelnut is one of our favorite Asian restaurants. Although we've been enjoying its dumplings, chicken dishes and fresh salads for the last few years, we recently had an Open Table dinner reservation and discovered the restaurant has a new chef with some new and unique dishes. He also serves the classic dishes that we've loved so such including the firecracker shrimp. The staff is friendly and very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 1990VIPDined on 9/3/2013Betelnut is always a treat. The have both vegan and gluten free menus. Really enjoy the green beans. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dinner, glad they putOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2013Good Dinner, glad they put some of the classics back on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once I found out my daughterEditmanVIPDined on 8/27/2013Once I found out my daughter was going to school in SF the first thing I did was make a reservation here. I must say though I was extremely disappointed. It started out with me calling to let them know I was going to be about 5 min late, and the hostess said that we can only hold the reservation for 15 min. The fact that I called and the fact the place was relatively empty, was not very cool. At least I called. Anyway, the next disappointment came when we were told they took off their famous dumplings off the menu as well as changing up their fire cracker shrimp, and then the killer, no more mochi for dessert. Needless to say, too many disappointments for my likely return.
- Perfection!velvetDined on 8/26/2013This was not just a meal- it was an experience! Everything from the cocktails to the desserts were unusual and delicious, and it was fun getting the little plates one by one. Go!Special Features:
- Great every time.HotCoupleVIPDined on 8/25/2013Again this place really hits it out of the park. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to Some Original DishesextremehumanoidDined on 8/25/2013I was very happy to see that more from the menu of the original Betelnut has be worked to the current menu. We had pretty much all of the "classics" the other night, and they are still good. I would revert to the original version of the anchovies and peanuts (maybe not originally anchovies, but whatever they are, it was great). This is an excellent meal for timid and adventurous eaters alike.Special Features:
- good food poor servicemabesfVIPDined on 8/23/2013everyone talks about the good because it is good and one often recalls the savory palette at the end of a night at betelnut. however the service at the hostess stand is nowhere near the quality of food. a reservation at 8:30 didn't get seated for 40 min. the bartender took 10 minutes to close a tab .. so we didn't sit at our table until almost 1 hour after our original reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New items, but old favorites remainVisitorVIPDined on 8/20/2013Fast, attentive service. Great menu. The new items are interesting. Glad they brought many certain old favorites, though. Always reliable and special.Special Features: