Il Mulino Trattoria
36 East 20th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Mulino Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilmulino.com/
- Phone: 2127778448
- Hours of Operation:
MON - WED 11:30AM - 11:00PM
THU - SAT 11:30AM - 12:00AM
SUN 11:30 AM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Michele Mazza
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We do catering for both small and large events.
- Special Events: Mulino Trattoria can accommodate up to 150 guests on the main dining room and up to 40 guests in a complete private room.
- Cross Street: Between Broadway and Park Avenue South
- Public Transit: 4, 5 & 6 trains to 23rd Street and N, R & Q trains to 23rd Street or Union Square
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Manhattan Parking Group
32 Gramercy Park South, New York, NY (212) 533-0863
Icon Parking Systems
245 East 19th Street, New York, NY (212) 505-7942
A word from Il Mulino Trattoria
Reigning from the Il Mulino New York Family, Mulino Trattoria is now open in the heart of Manhattan’s Gramercy District. Mulino Trattoria delivers a fresh dynamic while preserving the modern elegance of the Il Mulino New York name. Executive Chef Michele Mazza has created a menu that boasts Mulino Trattoria New York’s traditional Italian cuisine along with original dishes that reflect the sophistication of downtown.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Mulino Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (38)great for lunch (26)special occasion (24)hot spot (23)good for groups (22)romantic (16)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (13)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Delicious food/Wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/9/2013Terrific dining experience; wish the tables were just a little larger...
- Ears Still RingingFinickyDinerVIPDined on 11/8/2013Our party went on a Friday night and could barely hear each other or the servers over all the noise. Despite the food being very good, the noise level forced us to flee promptly after the main course. It is a very industrial space and nothing absorbant to muffle the noise. Service was rather disorganized too -- couldn't locate reservation and later brought us a 2nd check because they had forgotten to add our drinks to the initial one. Maybe still a learning curve on the service, but noise is more problematic.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/5/2013We ordered the prix fixe and everything was so delicious! Great service. Nice ambience. Cannot wait to go there again...but too full now. lolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BREAD PUDDING BREAD PUDDINGFUNZIEVIPDined on 10/25/2013A welcome addition to the neighborhood. The decor is modern, but a welcoming space. Food and service was very good. The highlights -- the ricotta meatballs and the bread pudding. The bread pudding -- OMG. I'm not usually a fan of bread pudding but this was something I now need to have every day. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone. We enjoyed it much more than the IlMulino downtown, which we always found too serious. This place has a much better atmosphere and vibe. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- After a recent delightfulNicknameVIPDined on 10/15/2013After a recent delightful brunch at Trattoria Il Mulino, my wife and I returned for dinner. Dinner was less delightful. The food was good, and the menu offered dishes -- pasta and pizza, for example -- that could have kept prices down, but other options were decidedly expensive (up to $55), and our dinner for two cost nearly $200. Service, which had been exemplary at brunch, was surprisingly clumsy at dinner. And our server's accent was difficult to understand -- I did figure out what kind of seafood he meant when he said "shreen" -- and he didn't understand us either until we repeated our orders several times. At a lower price point, I'd recommend Trattoria Il Mulino for its food, but at such prices, the experience isn't good enough.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIRST TIMEGILLESDined on 10/13/2013SERVICE VERY GOOD LOVED THE BAR EXCELLENT LOCATION DECOR VERY PLEASANTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- accetable menu card ,moderate priceeckibabyDined on 10/12/2013went there for lunch, little bit cold atmosphere , metal chairs , good mstaff, always around , sometimes too often asking for new drinks a.s.o. food tasted very good. we had pizza, noodles und gnochisSpecial Features:
- Can tell its still newLbLbVIPDined on 10/10/2013Was very excited to find out they opened an il Mulino in the neighborhood. Food was excellent, but waiters seemed very confused. The over the top attentive expertise that you receive at the original restaurant is missin at this Trattoria. Hopefully this will come with time and experience as I will most certainly be back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is OK and pricey. SocropenVIPDined on 10/9/2013Food is OK and pricey. So many Italian prices around that taste better for similar price. Look at your bill after they charge your credit card. The bill had one number, and after we gave them credit card, the amount charged to our card was higher than the bill. They decided to tack on a tip without telling us beforehand and there was an additional tip line. We were a party of 2, and there's nothing written that says tip is automatically added. One of the server had strong cigarette smell on clothing. Smell didn't go well with my food.
- Great food..delicious lobsterElleCVIPDined on 10/6/2013Great food..delicious lobster papparedelle & pastas! Ambience lovely, but back of dining room a bit stark.Special Features:
- Have been twice to the originalNicknameVIPDined on 10/6/2013Have been twice to the original Il Mulino where diners are shown enticing platters of off-the-menu specials but are never told that such specials cost twice the price of anything on the menu. The bill arrives and ... surprise! On my second visit, I asked about the cost of each special, and the waiter responded, "I don't know." I ordered none of them and received gruff service in response. I vowed never to return. But at the new, less formal Trattoria Il Mulino, my first meal -- brunch -- had none of the original's arrogant and deceptive practices. Plus, the food was very good, and the service was friendly! I'm eager to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lot's of PotentialdinealotVIPDined on 10/4/2013We enjoyed our dinner at Trattoria Il Mulino. The food is very good and so they have this right. The service on the other hand is still a bit sketchy. Once our waiter took our order we hardly saw him again. The appetizers arrived before the wine which is a big no-no for me. Then it seemed that no one was available to refill our wine glasses as the meal progressed. They were aware that this fact bothered us and bought us a round of grappa at the end of the meal. I would give them another chance. They are only open for a few weeks so i understand that it takes time.
- I think it was their thirdAMEPVIPDined on 10/2/2013I think it was their third week, but wow are they doing it right! The food and service were fantastic. We tried a few, but he ravioli may have been my favorite pasta. There was a pistachio pesto which was also delicious. The sausage osso buco and meatballs were fantastic bar appetizers. The drink menu is impressive, I couldnt decide, but I truly enjoyed my vintage testarossa! The ribeye was mouthwatering.Special Features:
- This was the second time I'vesmilesDined on 9/25/2013This was the second time I've been there and it is such a welcome addition to the area and a great twist on Il Mulino. I love it and will continue to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodkarenVIPDined on 9/18/2013I loves the pasta for lunch and lemon tiramisu was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed.VJC8VIPDined on 9/17/2013Food was heavy, heavy. It could have been a typical restaurant in Little Italy. Grilled octopus was tough, and crust on pizza was dense. Seafood salad was unmemorable. Service was solicitous--overly so because there seemed to be almost as many servers as patrons. Multiple waiters told us about specials, asked for our orders, etc. It's newly opened so it didn't quite have it's act together. We didn't mind that. Just wish the food made it worthwhile. For what it's worth, place looked cool and hip.Special Features:
- close to Il Mulino but not far offrossamaVIPDined on 9/13/2013the place is new & the service needs to be improved on, i think we had 2x of every person come over to ask us stuff/take orders. food is decently priced, portions are small. food did taste great but the pasta dish needed more sauce. overall i expected moreSpecial Features:
- First time diner2ndtimerVIPDined on 9/9/2013Took a friend there his birthday. Nice menu. We shared a pizza for an appetizer. Perfect size for 2 to share. Ordered the chicken parmiagana. Tasted good but unusual preparation. Shaped more like a small pizza than my usual experience with chicken parm at other restaurants. Had their ricotta cheesecake for dessert.........great! Service was very good. Will go back to try some other dishes.Special Features:
- Service was substandardJohnsonVIPDined on 9/7/2013Service was not what you expect in a place like this but you might attribute it to the fairly recent opening. We had two waitresses that kept asking the same questions, had to specifically ask if there are any specials, bread did not arrive, wine came 15 minutes after order etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- From what we understand they'vejohnnyb59Dined on 10/20/2012From what we understand they've recently opened within the past couple of years!! We had the braised octopus appetizer which just melted in our mouths it was so delicious!! Entrees as well were perfect..had a couple of ?? and the chef came out to our table to speak with us!! Drinks are a litte exspensive even for the city, definitely a do over!!Special Features:
- Its my now new go-to placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/16/2012Its my now new go-to place in Manhattan. The food is consistent and always tssty. Atmosphere is lovely.Special Features:
- Wonderful pre-fixe menu andCTNYC1VIPDined on 12/17/2011Wonderful pre-fixe menu and it is a bargain for the wonderful food they serve up. Love the atmosphere too. Very nice- always.Special Features:
- Quite nice. Enjoyed a largeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2011Quite nice. Enjoyed a large family meal - service could have been a bit more attentive.
- Their $22 dinner special isOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2011Their $22 dinner special is ridiculous. I love this place. Love the moussaka, and especially love the desert with the long name that starts with a g.
- pushed the more expensivechilemomVIPDined on 8/4/2011pushed the more expensive vodka for a mixed drink food was fine too many rules re mixing restaurant week with pre fixe with coupons, etc. expected classier
- Food is excellent. The bestRoNTODined on 7/24/2011Food is excellent. The best grilled octopus I have ever tried.Special Features:
- Very nice Greek resauarant.liketoeatVIPDined on 4/13/2011Very nice Greek resauarant. Food was well prepared and tasty. The lemon roasted potatos were incredible. The service was friendly and attentive. We will probably eat here again.
- I've been to Parea for lunchTastyVIPDined on 3/16/2011I've been to Parea for lunch a couple of times. It's a pretty restaurant and the service is nicely attentive, but the food is not stellar. It seems with Greek food in New York City one often has to choose between good and crazy expensive or not so good and relatively inexpensive, and I find that Parea fits into the latter category fairly well.
- it's OKtengohambreVIPDined on 2/14/2011It wasn't bad, but there are better greek restaurants out there. It was a bit expensive too. The service was so-so too.Special Features:
- Delicious food and lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2010Delicious food and lovely atmosphere but the service is very slow. Great place if you are not in any rushSpecial Features:
- The food was delicious!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/1/2010The food was delicious!!! The service was great but it was obvious the waiter wanted us to order the more expensive items. I took my boyfriend and s friends there for his birthday and it was great for a large group. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- We were squeezed into a smallOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/22/2010We were squeezed into a small table next to a crowded bar. The food was below average and the waitstaff not exactly attentive. The house special, "Yesterday's Lamb", sounded great but was too dry and fatty and seemed to really just be leftover lesser bits of lamb not used the day before. Appetizers weren't bad, though. And hostess was helpful and knowledgeable about Greek wines.
- This restaurant had come highlyWinoDinoVIPDined on 9/10/2010This restaurant had come highly recommended so was slightly disappointed by their haphazard service...also their prices are on the high side and portions are small. On the plus side, their fish is very fresh and delicately prepared & was quite possibly the best fish I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- The food here was barely edible.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2010The food here was barely edible. I am not exaggerating. I went here with my husband for our wedding anniversary and was very disappointed. I ordered the special, which was cod over some sort of beet salad. The fish must have been frozen-- it was dry, overcooked, and the sauce added barely any flavor. The beet salad was a nightmare concoction of frozen peas, beets, shredded cabbage, and mayonaise. I cannot believe they served it. My husband had an equally unappealing lamb stew, which was also dry and over cooked. The ambiance was also very Olive Garden. Not quite sure how this place is still open. My only compliment would be to the waitstaff who were attentive and kind.
- very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/16/2010Good food and nice ambiance. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- LOVE this placenebo343Dined on 8/29/2009One of my favorite neighborhood places in Manhattan. Fresh fish, fabulous service. Can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- The food was delicious. IfOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/21/2009The food was delicious. If you sit in the front you can actually hear the people you're dining with--lovely.Special Features:
- I was recently at KellariKingsketzVIPDined on 11/17/2008I was recently at Kellari Taverna in midtown and the diI was recently afferences were striking. Although the midtown restaurant was noisier than I generally would like the service was highly attentive and the food was excellent. Kellari Parea is many steps down from that. The service was largely inept. No one could get the table to stop from rocking and the waiter vacillated between hovering annoyingly to never being around. The food was good at best only because a dish or two were excellent. The Greek Salad was quite good as was the Octopus appetizer. The domades were bleh and the fish ok. The baklava was absolutely terrible. And in the end they give us a bill that was for two tables. It never hit that our bill couldn't be $350!
- This was my 3rd time to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/12/2008This was my 3rd time to eat at Kellari. The first time was great. Had the moussaka. I went this week and got the tuna and it didnt seem fresh, and came with a weird sweet pink sauce on the plate that was unappealing. Since it was a business lunch i asked my co-worker how was her food, she had the shrimp over salad, she didnt like hers either! also had the weird pink dressing. Others at the table said her burger was very good, and the chicken was just ok. Service seems confused, they cant remember who ordered what. ITs such a pretty place that I want to like it... sorry.
- It was perfect. Their foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/10/2008It was perfect. Their food is extraordinary. We were made to feel very welcome. The service was attentive without being obtrusive. I can't wait to go back.Special Features: