Il Mulino Trattoria
36 East 20th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Mulino Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilmulino.com/
- Phone: 2127778448
- Hours of Operation:
MON - WED 11:30AM - 11:00PM
THU - SAT 11:30AM - 12:00AM
SUN 11:30 AM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Michele Mazza
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We do catering for both small and large events.
- Special Events: Mulino Trattoria can accommodate up to 150 guests on the main dining room and up to 40 guests in a complete private room.
- Cross Street: Between Broadway and Park Avenue South
- Public Transit: 4, 5 & 6 trains to 23rd Street and N, R & Q trains to 23rd Street or Union Square
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Manhattan Parking Group
32 Gramercy Park South, New York, NY (212) 533-0863
Icon Parking Systems
245 East 19th Street, New York, NY (212) 505-7942
A word from Il Mulino Trattoria
Reigning from the Il Mulino New York Family, Mulino Trattoria is now open in the heart of Manhattan’s Gramercy District. Mulino Trattoria delivers a fresh dynamic while preserving the modern elegance of the Il Mulino New York name. Executive Chef Michele Mazza has created a menu that boasts Mulino Trattoria New York’s traditional Italian cuisine along with original dishes that reflect the sophistication of downtown.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Mulino Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (28)special occasion (25)hot spot (24)good for groups (22)romantic (16)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2014Best lunch deal in NYC and the Lemon Tirimisu is amazing. Great Watermelon Salad, meatballs, and the garlic breads are such a bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We regret our choiceMlmfDined on 6/7/2014The food was good, but the service and experience was not. It was incredibly loud and our server virtually ignored us. I don't recommend it.
- Always a step aheadNYCfinestVIPDined on 6/2/2014You an never go wrong with this restaurant. From a small group to a dozen this setting works!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 199 reviews are from the Il Mulino Trattoria reviews archive.
- Great food-Great vibe!LaurenTVIPDined on 5/31/2014I have been to Il Mulino on 3rd Street several times and always had a delicious meal so when a friend reccommended Trattoria Il Mulino I was eager to check it out. From the moment I walked in I was impressed with how they transformed the space from the prior restaurant that had been there. It was so open and the decor chic and modern. We were seated immediately and the waiter came over and greeted us shortly after. He was able to answer any questions we had about the menu and made some great recommendations. The food was delicious and I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it for brunchAnneofGramercyDined on 5/31/2014Four of us had delicious food, lovely service, etc. It was quite pricey. I don't think this location has caught on for brunch because it was rather empty. I've been there previously for lunch and once for dinner. Lunch was equally pleasant. For our taste, and we are older people, it was just too noisy at dinner. But if you like a party atmosphere with a lively bar and loud-ish music -- along with excellent food, this is a great dinner place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014Absolutely outstanding meal! First time at Trattoria Il Mulino and as long patrons of the original Il Mulino on 3rd Street I can tell you it did not disappoint. Everything we ordered was prepared to perfection and like the original, each was a generous portion. The Trattoria offers some different menu items in additional to the old favorites that we had and we can't wait to go back and try them all. Hopefully we'll still be able to get a timely reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trattoria Il MulinoMy2centsDined on 5/23/2014The food is excellent and presentation beautiful. Excellent variety of choices. Plenty of things on the menue if you are a vegetarian as well. I Only have been there for lunch where the prix fixe menue is very reasonable. It may be the best deal in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply. deliciousnylawmanDined on 5/22/2014great Italian dishes done properly in a nice space for a group or a couple we would reccomend go backSpecial Features:
- DisappointedpersonalitiniVIPDined on 5/22/2014I came here with my family for a graduation celebration. I made notes in my reservation via OpenTable and called ahead of time to explain it would be a celebration dinner. I also noted that my dad is handicapped and needs certain seating. When I showed up, the host had no idea what I was talking about. Additionally, a sporting event was being projected on a wall. I didn't expect this to be that type of establishment, especially with entrees averaging $30+. I was very disappointed my parents wasted so much money on this meal. The restaurant was very loud, the serve was poor, the food was average at best. There was also no acknowledge of the special occasion. Sad.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/22/2014A fan of the original location. Service was terrible. Wine order was delivered wrong. Bread server could not tell us the selections. There was a huge loaf of (most likely a whole wheat) which my companion asked for, and was given the 1 inch nub of the end. I ordered the Shrimp Francese, which was a bland butterflied Shrimp in lemon and parsley sauce. Asked our server for dessert suggestion, told him we couldn't have any of the selections with Walnuts. He made two suggestions, we choose the Chocolate Cake which the menu said was served with Espresso zabaglione and roasted pear. When we received the Cake the "espresso zabaglione" had chunks in it. When asked told they were walnuts which were in the cake as well.
- On My "Return To" ListmrwriteVIPDined on 5/16/2014Kudos for excellent attitude, service, attentiveness and food - beautifully presented, amply portioned and exquisitely flavorful. We wandered in on a recent weekend in New York, looking for a quiet and relaxing dinner after a drive up from DC through torrential downpours. No reso's, no fanfare, just two hungry travelers. Their smiles welcomed us, their gracious hospitality made us forget the travails of the day, and we were served by 'Sarah,' one of the most well-mannered, efficient and thoughtful waiters we've encountered anywhere in the world. Their stuffed fig was sublime, as were the flavors of everything else that made its way to our table. Serendipity - oh how I love you!Special Features:
- RideOrDineVIPDined on 4/28/2014I had a special of fried squash blossoms stuffed with mozzarella which were nice and crispy, but as is the risk with frying such a delicate vegetable, the fried flavor was very prominent and needed a bit of acid to cut through the heavy cheese and fried flavors. Then I had the tagliatelle with lobster which was very nice and maintained the dignity and flavor of the lobster and had a nice balance with the tomato sauce it was tossed in. For dessert, I had the lemon tiramisu which was a total miss; a soggy chunk of tart, pungent sod that puckered my lips and left me wondering if some of that lost lemon life couldn't have been better spent elevating the squash blossoms. Overall, it was nice, straightforward Italian fare; solid for weeknights.
- Trattoria il MulinogalebDined on 4/25/2014I eat here every week. The food is great and the service is friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised by billOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/23/2014The food was very good and menu had excellent choices All was well until we got the bill. The menu lists appetizers at $15-20 and entrees at $25-30 We ordered a $60 wine We ordered specials for dinner and appetizer and were not told they were much much more expensive than the menu offerings The bill came and it was $265 for two of us My wife's Dover sole special was $80 I think when specials are priced at three tines the normal offering the customer should be notified I won't go back
- DisappointingRayofLightVIPDined on 4/16/2014I had heard "great food" from a colleague. Unfortunately, the food was nothing notable. Not bad at all, but nothing special. The restaurant was full and lively. I was in a party of four, and we all felt it was an unremarkable experience. Most detracting was the service. Our server, once entrees were delivered, NEVER came back to our table - not to check on drinks, the dessert we ordered (through someone else) or anything. We spent almost 15 minutes trying to flag down anyone just to get our check - our server never once even made eye-contact. For almost $400 (with tip and without alcohol!), this was a terrible dining experience. If not for the great company of my friends, it would have been a full disaster.
- dinner @ trattoria il mulinolookwhoscomingtodinnerDined on 4/11/2014Within the first 5 minutes of being seated 5 different servers approached the table rendering various services. Not sure if they were conducting a training but it made the experience impersonal, especially given the fact that they were all arrogant and not knowledgeable in regards to the menu. The food was mediocre> We had the seafood salad, papardelle pasta w/lobster marinara. The lobster was chewy and fishy. All of the pasta dishes were the same price, $26. So basically you're paying the same for a dish of rigatoni w/tomato sauce as the papardelle w/lobster. This should've been a red flag but we were hopeful it would be good. The only positives were the ambiance and a nice bar with a full bar menu.Special Features:
- a bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/8/2014Had a wonderful experience having lunch at Trattoria Il'Mulino but the dinner experience was very different. The bread that was delicious at lunch was dry and chewy. The salad was soggy and over dressed. The main course took too long (maybe 40 minutes after the salad) and was just average. Main courses were expensive - $34 (or $38 for halibut). Was hoping for our dinner to be as impressive as our lunch!Special Features:
- just ok-mom3VIPDined on 3/29/2014it was better the first time--this time it was just ok--server didnt pay to much attention to our table of 4. Caprese appetizer was chewy,asked for plain sauce on my pasta and pasta came out w bolgnese sauce, drink wasnt made right. we were all unimpressed, and bill for 4 was 480.00
- Atmosphere a bit loud forbwp22691Dined on 3/27/2014Atmosphere a bit loud for my taste. Food was good. Service was good but hard to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Really nice prix fix lunch.westchesterfoodieVIPDined on 3/21/2014Really nice prix fix lunch. Well worth it. Food was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Mixed ExperienceAnneofGramercyDined on 3/13/2014To summarize, my husband couldn't see his food, the waiter got my order wrong (but the substitute pasta with lobster was quite good), the caprese (tomato and mozzarella salad) came with less cheese than usual, the pasta with fish sauce was excellent, and we couldn't hear each other! They brought us wonderful complementary grappa at the end.
- 18.00 for a glass of wine?!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2014The food was good and the price fixe lunch menu is a good value except when they charge extra for grilled octopus and 5.00 for coffee and 18.00 for a glass of Proseco! Ridiculous price for a house wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good italian foodvanzakVIPDined on 3/6/2014very good menu for restaurant week ad good food. You are very different then IL Mulino in the village. Complete different in many ways. You are more informal then ,the restaurant in the village and have complete different menu to chose from. I would go to your restaurant for lunch and the one in the village for dinner.Special Features:
- Great Experience!CamiDined on 3/6/2014Excellent choice! Food was great, service impeccable and unique and enjoyable environment. I recommend.Special Features:
- a great timebarbDined on 3/4/2014I was referred to this place by my boss and he was right this is a place not to be missed if you love great food and beautiful surrounding. I will not only definitely go back but will make sure my friends experience all Trattoria IL Mulino has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYED FIRST VISIT. WILLPhylVIPDined on 3/3/2014ENJOYED FIRST VISIT. WILL RETURN SOON. GOOD FOOD AND WINE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new fave restaurant in Flatiron!iheartfoodVIPDined on 3/2/2014Excellent service (Kyle is a great server); delicious food; nice ambiance; clean bathrooms. Overall, I'm a big fan. Came here for the first time this past Sunday for Restaurant Week for the lunch menu. For $25, we got an app, an entree, dessert & coffee at the end of the meal ..... A great deal. Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunch!OGormanDined on 2/28/2014Thanks TIM for another wonderful lunch! the food was delicious and Solerno cocktails were amazing. Logan et al, we'll be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialmaven1VIPDined on 2/25/2014We went for restaurant week lunch. The place was almost empty. Rest. week menu was very good. I had the mussels--nice. A friend had the meatball--yes one small meatball. Tasty. Main course was served with nothing else on the plate. I had the chicken and all I got was chicken, not even a garnish. The big problem was the sloppy service. Bread plates were removed before the appetizer course. Therefore, I couldn't have bread with mussels--ridiculous.
- Horrible eveningBrenVIPDined on 2/21/2014Went for a girls night and regretted our choice. After we were seated we had to flag someone down to order drinks. It became the theme of the night. We had to ask someone to find our waiter so we could place our food order. Our bottle of wine was not left at the table and no one came to fill our glasses so we had to ask for that as well. We told the manager of the experience we were having but nothing changed. Frustrated with this restaurants service is an understatement. There were waiters standing all over the place, and empty tables yet they could not be bothered to assist us. We had to ask for the check multiple times. I will never go back to this restaurant again which is a shame because despite all this nonsense the food was great.
- What a pleasureNYCNatalieVIPDined on 2/20/2014Each year we try several new restaurants during Restaurant Week and this year I went to Trattoria Il Mulino for the first time. It will surely not be the last. I plan on coming as often as possible when I am in the area. Every part of the meal was wonderful. The restaurant served us with grace and bounty. I generally don't eat desserts, but the bread pudding was so delicious, I nearly licked the plate. This was a delight and reminds me of the real reason for Restaurant week, to find the little gems that I can enjoy during the entire year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishDelishDined on 2/15/2014The food and service at il Mulino was incredible. They were attentive, polite, and catered to your every need. The food was delicious. Everything was made of the best quality meats and sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza was decent rest was ehEbh2VIPDined on 2/14/2014The name il mulino did nothing for this place except give me a high expectation with what turned out to be average food.Special Features:
- Compliments to the ChefPressAgentDined on 1/18/2014This was my 3rd time ordering the Pizza FUNGHI Tartufo, porcini mushrooms and the PAPPARDELLE Lobster marinara and it was delicious each time. We always get a "special" and the veal wrapped around a shrimp over the broccoli rabe was excellent. My husband left not a bite! Wines well priced (better than 3rd street) and I could always live without the private phone line and the "take a seat at the bar" attitude downtown. For me, 20th Street trumps 3rd St.Special Features:
- A Pale Imitation of Il MulinoSHoldenVIPDined on 1/14/2014I love the original Il Mulino so I was excited to try this café version. What a disappointment. Amateur service, too many choices on the wine list and menu, WAY too much garlic in the food. Food was OK. Kind of cold ambience.
- Great FindCdnfoodieVIPDined on 12/30/2013Food is really good, portions really large. Great to go with others so that you can share. Definitely will return. Book early, hard to get reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Italian cucina, butNicknameVIPDined on 12/29/2013Decent Italian cucina, but Trattoria Il Mulino isn't as special as its staff seems to think it is.
- Best Place in a while!EmilyRMMcDined on 12/28/2013The lighting, atmosphere and service was perfect. Started us off with complimentary apps ( pepperoni and mushrooms) as we looked at the menu. They also did offer us bread and a wide variety off it. We had an amazing ricotta meatball for our actual appetizers and two delicious cocktails . I tried the fettuccine special of the night and my date had the hen! Both cooked to perfection. The service was fast and extremely helpful. Once done, we ordered the cheesecake and lady fingers over a final cocktail. They let us talk for a while and enjoy ourselves. After paying the check ( around $175- not bad for everything we ordered) they gave us two complimentary shots of lacquer.I would recommend this place to anyone and definitely will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great service!FoodcraveVIPDined on 12/27/2013Great food and great service! Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feel dupedItalianSnobVIPDined on 12/25/2013I brought a large party to this restaurant thinking that if it was anything like my experience at the real Il Mulino that all would be pleased but I was sorely mistaken. They use the Il Mulino name to charge an exorbitant amount of money for mediocre food. Our bland rigatoni was $24 and the charge over $30 for salmon. The pizza is disappointing and falls apart. One of the guests at the table had pasta that was severely undercooked and we appreciate al dente. Really, we spent a fortune and I could name ten other Italian restaurants that are better for less than half the cost of this establishment. I was embarrassed to have suggested this place for our Christmas dinner and the prices were even more than advertised on the website.